The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 30, 2020, 08:50:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2020, 08:50:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finding a local shop?  (Read 6036 times)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #15: November 14, 2007, 02:08:34 pm »

Quality, yeah, but ten dollars for a quill pen still seems a bit steep.

correction: GOOD incense is not cheap. i found that out the hard way. the cheap stuff i have just smokes.

Walmart spoils me, I suppose. Smiley

What's the material? Making quill pens these days takes quite a bit of expertise and practice to get a usable point, and they're somewhat complicated to ship without breakage. $10 would seem quite reasonable to me, especially if it were a harder to come by feather. (Also, the regulations about sale of feathers are quite complicated these days, so there may well be some paperwork involved for the maker.)

One of the things I really like (and am willing to pay for, even on a pretty non-existent disposable income budget right now) is that when I buy a book (or incense, or herbs, or whatever) from one of my local stores, I can ask questions about - and where they got it, and who made it, if it's not mass produced, and why they chose to stock that item compared to others. You can't do that in Walmart.

I have, perhaps, been hanging out too long with my jewelry making friend who asks, when buying beads exactly where they came from (and if buying shaped/carved stuff, asks who did the work). But I've found a lot of my purchases even more satisfying when I do that, even if I end up making fewer of them. I think it's because I'm getting more precisely exactly what I want, rather than making do.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: November 14, 2007, 05:45:30 pm »

What's the material? Making quill pens these days takes quite a bit of expertise and practice to get a usable point, and they're somewhat complicated to ship without breakage. $10 would seem quite reasonable to me, especially if it were a harder to come by feather. (Also, the regulations about sale of feathers are quite complicated these days, so there may well be some paperwork involved for the maker.)

Meh, it was a simple white feather. It did have a metal-something tip, but I can't imagine that that little metal would cost that much when I bought a quill made from the same feather for 2 $ in virginia...

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Enchanted Spirit
Journeyman
Last Login:March 26, 2008, 11:16:10 am

Religion: Pagan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: November 15, 2007, 04:23:16 pm »

Meh, it was a simple white feather. It did have a metal-something tip, but I can't imagine that that little metal would cost that much when I bought a quill made from the same feather for 2 $ in virginia...

It's quite easy to make your own with beautiful feathers from your local hobby shop (mine has a great selection anyway).  Smiley  I purchase the feathers and the brass nibs (there are a few different sizes to choose from) and put them together myself with a strong glue (Gorilla Glue works pretty well).  Some of the feathers are a little weak so they need to be strengthed up with small skewers and dark florist tape before shaping the nib around the end of the feather and gluing it on. 

I purchase everything I can from my local shops in order to keep them in business (they don't seem to carry plume pens though).  I still shop online quite a bit because I can't get a lot of the things I need from my local shops.  The local shops aren't really that much more expensive than shopping online once you figure out shipping & handling, and the time waiting for things to arrive.  I like convenience when I can come by it.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 15, 2007, 04:28:59 pm »

So that'd be a good time to ask, and start developing a relationship with the store owner. (Asking nicely, of course.) But mostly, I'd take it as a "There's some stuff I'll buy there, and some stuff I won't." rather than "This one item is way overpriced based on a price somewhere else" (you never know if that $2 is someone selling off the last of their stock, and just wanting stuff out of the way, or whatever, too, so it's being sold at or under their original cost.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: November 15, 2007, 06:31:44 pm »

It's quite easy to make your own with beautiful feathers from your local hobby shop (mine has a great selection anyway).  Smiley  I purchase the feathers and the brass nibs (there are a few different sizes to choose from) and put them together myself with a strong glue (Gorilla Glue works pretty well).  Some of the feathers are a little weak so they need to be strengthed up with small skewers and dark florist tape before shaping the nib around the end of the feather and gluing it on. 

I purchase everything I can from my local shops in order to keep them in business (they don't seem to carry plume pens though).  I still shop online quite a bit because I can't get a lot of the things I need from my local shops.  The local shops aren't really that much more expensive than shopping online once you figure out shipping & handling, and the time waiting for things to arrive.  I like convenience when I can come by it.

Where do you get ink? Or do you have a recipe you use to make it yourself?

Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: November 15, 2007, 06:34:30 pm »

So that'd be a good time to ask, and start developing a relationship with the store owner. (Asking nicely, of course.) But mostly, I'd take it as a "There's some stuff I'll buy there, and some stuff I won't." rather than "This one item is way overpriced based on a price somewhere else" (you never know if that $2 is someone selling off the last of their stock, and just wanting stuff out of the way, or whatever, too, so it's being sold at or under their original cost.)

Yeah, I did ask about it, and the guy at the counter agreed with me, but then again, 'the customer is always right'. I'm short on cash, though, and I'm technically not supposed to be riding that far on my bike anyway, so I won't be able to develop a relationship with the people there. sadly. they were really nice. (and the 2 bucks was just their standard price because i've been back, and it's always that price.)

Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: November 15, 2007, 09:43:04 pm »

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Making_Walnut_Ink

Best way I know of to make use of those blasted black walnuts (the back yard is FULL of 'em). Ask around, if you don't have your own source--I guarantee you, someone who has black walnut trees will kiss your feet if you tell them you'll all the nuts you can carry in a 5-gallon bucket.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Enchanted Spirit
Journeyman
Last Login:March 26, 2008, 11:16:10 am

Religion: Pagan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: November 15, 2007, 10:20:25 pm »

You can get the ink from the hobby store as well, but I do have a recipe for that too (although it's time consuming and messy).  I have purchased a set of different colors of drawing inks from the hobby store (I was lucky to have a 50% off coupon once to use).  You can easily add you own essential/fragrance oils to them for spell work (if you're into that sort of thing).  Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)