The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 15, 2021, 10:15:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 15, 2021, 10:15:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Candle scare.  (Read 8014 times)
Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm
United States United States

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 09, 2007, 07:07:00 pm »

Okay, I was doing a spell last night, that involved candle magick.  After I had finished, I let my candle burn all night, placing the candle holder with candle in a shallow pan of water, so it wouldn't get on my altar cloth.  I woke up the next morning, expecting to scrub my candle holders, as always, when I realized, there was no wax left.  No wax on my altar cloth, none on the candle holder, none in the pan.  I was shocked by it.  The rest of the wick was still there, as if the candle was burned all the way out, yet, the wax disappeared!  No way anyone came into my room, took the pan and candle holder and scrubbed them clean, because I locked my doors.  I doubt it was a special type of candle, because I bought it at a grocery store (I'm cheap when it comes to tapers). 

Can anyone explain this?
I swear, it's never happened before, I'm usually left with messes.

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 09, 2007, 07:23:07 pm »

Okay, I was doing a spell last night, that involved candle magick.  After I had finished, I let my candle burn all night, placing the candle holder with candle in a shallow pan of water, so it wouldn't get on my altar cloth.  I woke up the next morning, expecting to scrub my candle holders, as always, when I realized, there was no wax left.  No wax on my altar cloth, none on the candle holder, none in the pan.  I was shocked by it.  The rest of the wick was still there, as if the candle was burned all the way out, yet, the wax disappeared!  No way anyone came into my room, took the pan and candle holder and scrubbed them clean, because I locked my doors.  I doubt it was a special type of candle, because I bought it at a grocery store (I'm cheap when it comes to tapers). 

Can anyone explain this?

I have no idea.  Do you still have the package the candles came in?  If you do, you might check to see if the wax was made to do that. 

I did catch my alter on fire one night (and I don't even use an alter cloth), the wax had burned down faster than the wick, making for a large flame - thank the gods I smelled the smoke! I did burn up something irreplaceable I had on it though.  Sad   Now I never leave my candles burning at night.
Underwater Thing
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 09, 2007, 07:27:46 pm »

I have no idea.  Do you still have the package the candles came in?  If you do, you might check to see if the wax was made to do that. 

I did catch my alter on fire one night (and I don't even use an alter cloth), the wax had burned down faster than the wick, making for a large flame - thank the gods I smelled the smoke! I did burn up something irreplaceable I had on it though.  Sad   Now I never leave my candles burning at night.

I'm sorry to hear that, I'd hate to have my altar catch on fire.

And no, I don't have the package, it was just a plastic wrapper.  I hope it was just that the wax was made to do it.  Otherwise, I have no clue.

in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 09, 2007, 07:34:21 pm »

Can anyone explain this?

I have had tealights do something similar, where they basically burnt down to practically nothing, wax included.  Maybe it was just the wax. 

If it wasnt, maybe somebody was trying to tell you something  Grin

I hope the pan was big enough, so that if the candle fell over, it wouldnt catch anything else on fire, just land in the pan!  I am a pyrophobic when it comes to things like that  Smiley

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Underwater Thing
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 09, 2007, 07:39:57 pm »

I have had tealights do something similar, where they basically burnt down to practically nothing, wax included.  Maybe it was just the wax. 

If it wasnt, maybe somebody was trying to tell you something  Grin

I hope the pan was big enough, so that if the candle fell over, it wouldnt catch anything else on fire, just land in the pan!  I am a pyrophobic when it comes to things like that  Smiley

Gina

I mean, I've had tealights do the same thing, but taper candles!?
I've used similar tapers, from the same store, and I don't recall them disappearing.
I mean, tapers drip, everywhere.

And if someone was trying to tell me something, they didn't do it effectively.
They just freaked me out.

And yes, it was a large enough pan to catch the candle =D.

in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 09, 2007, 07:44:01 pm »

I've had some candles burn fast and some take FOREVER to burn, could be a variety of things that caused it to do that.  Hard to say truthfully.  I've never heard of a taper candle  doing that, leave no wax, usually a little bit dripping down the side. That's really weird. LOL

When I have a candle burning all night I place it in a caste iron skillet that I use solely for candle burning or stuff like that, then place it in my sink.  My sink is the old ones, so it's big and deep, plus the skillet is big enough the candle won't be able to tip over the edge.  Cheesy   And make sure there is nothing near it that could fall into the sink, safe precation if you have a cat.  I've never had a problem, though one time I did have one of my candleholders crack from the heat of the flame.
gayars
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 09, 2007, 07:51:31 pm »

I mean, I've had tealights do the same thing, but taper candles!?
I've used similar tapers, from the same store, and I don't recall them disappearing.
I mean, tapers drip, everywhere.

And if someone was trying to tell me something, they didn't do it effectively.
They just freaked me out.

And yes, it was a large enough pan to catch the candle =D.

Good on the pan size  Smiley

Maybe you could go to the store and check into more of the same kind of candles?  Maybe you could find out something that way.

Perhaps it was an omen of whatever candle magick you were doing? 

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Underwater Thing
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 09, 2007, 08:02:07 pm »

Maybe you could go to the store and check into more of the same kind of candles?  Maybe you could find out something that way.

I have candles from that store with me right now, I'll do a check.

Perhaps it was an omen of whatever candle magick you were doing? 

Perhaps, but there is no telling if it's good or bad.

in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 09, 2007, 08:36:47 pm »

Gods I would hate that!! I never burn tapers though, and my pillar candles are on a big, HEAVY metal holder. I don't use an altar cloth and I blow out the candle as soon as the working is finished, or shortly thereafter. I never leave the candle unattended for longer than it takes me to take the offering outside to pour it into the ground. I'm a bit phobic about fire in the house.

Can anyone explain this?

I have no idea, I've heard of this sort of thing happening before, but I've never seen it.

Underwater Thing
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 09, 2007, 08:42:35 pm »

Gods I would hate that!! I never burn tapers though, and my pillar candles are on a big, HEAVY metal holder. I don't use an altar cloth and I blow out the candle as soon as the working is finished, or shortly thereafter. I never leave the candle unattended for longer than it takes me to take the offering outside to pour it into the ground. I'm a bit phobic about fire in the house.

I have no idea, I've heard of this sort of thing happening before, but I've never seen it.

Hush, all of you are making me paranoid!   Cheesy

And, you've heard of it before???
Do you know the causes of why it happened?

in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 09, 2007, 09:27:40 pm »

Nope, not a clue!!

gayars
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 09, 2007, 09:47:26 pm »

Hush, all of you are making me paranoid!   Cheesy

http://members.aol.com/StanAmes/myhomepage/candles/index.htm

Here is a link on candle safety.   It talks about different kinds of candle burnings.  It sounds like there might have been some kind of wax ignition you werent aware of maybe?  (look under the tealight flare up)

Yes I actually did a search using "candle wax burns up when candle is burned" to try and find out the answer!  Cheesy

Gina

Underwater Thing
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 09, 2007, 09:50:19 pm »

http://members.aol.com/StanAmes/myhomepage/candles/index.htm

Here is a link on candle safety.   It talks about different kinds of candle burnings.  It sounds like there might have been some kind of wax ignition you werent aware of maybe?  (look under the tealight flare up)

Yes I actually did a search using "candle wax burns up when candle is burned" to try and find out the answer!  Cheesy

Gina

Thank you for the information, but it wasn't in a container.  A holder, yes, but no container.
I favorited the site, just in case, though.

And, I found this:http://www.idyllwildcandles.com/CandleFAQs.htm#9
So maybe that's what happened?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 09:52:39 pm by Underwater Thing » Logged

in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
gayars
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 09, 2007, 09:58:41 pm »

That COULD be, yeah! It sounds like a good possibility.

Gina

SearchingTiger
Apprentice
Last Login:April 04, 2008, 09:55:39 pm

Religion: Exploring Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 09, 2007, 10:59:10 pm »

This might be a totally silly suggestion...I am sure you all have these, but just to throw it out there...at my pagan good store they sell spell candles. Theyre small, and burn relatively fast. They are perfect for spell work as they burn quickly enough (and I always plan lots of time) so that if the candle does in fact need to burn all the way down, it does it in a timely manner. I just keep an eye on it while it goes and then once its out I can go to bed or go do whatever. They come in all colors too! Perfect for spell work!

I am a complete nervous-nelly about candles catching fire, so I watch watch watch! Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)