The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 15, 2021, 09:29:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 15, 2021, 09:29:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Candle scare.  (Read 8013 times)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: August 09, 2007, 11:15:48 pm »

Can anyone explain this?
Fire needs fuel, and the fuel used by a candle flame is the wax.  When conditions are exactly right (no drafts, wick neither too long nor too short, etc), you get really efficient use of fuel - i.e., all the wax is consumed.

This is a good thing - definitely so in practical terms, because it's nice not to have the mess, and just 'cause it's how it's supposed to work; it could be seen as magically positive as well.

It's rare enough to be worth a "hey, freaky!" over the rarity, but it's nothing to get spooked about otherwise, there's nothing happening here that shouldn't happen.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm
United States United States

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 09, 2007, 11:53:24 pm »

Fire needs fuel, and the fuel used by a candle flame is the wax.  When conditions are exactly right (no drafts, wick neither too long nor too short, etc), you get really efficient use of fuel - i.e., all the wax is consumed.

This is a good thing - definitely so in practical terms, because it's nice not to have the mess, and just 'cause it's how it's supposed to work; it could be seen as magically positive as well.

It's rare enough to be worth a "hey, freaky!" over the rarity, but it's nothing to get spooked about otherwise, there's nothing happening here that shouldn't happen.

Sunflower

Hahaha, thanks.  I figured it was more than likely a natural candle thing. 
It was just freaky.  Grin

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 10, 2007, 10:29:57 am »

And, I found this:http://www.idyllwildcandles.com/CandleFAQs.htm#9
So maybe that's what happened?

Thanks so much for this link!

My family used to vacation in Idyllwild! Very "artsie" area now. Weird thing is, I was watching an old movie yesterday and it was obviously filmed there, two days in a row and a place I hadn't thought of in years comes up - weird how that works.

At any rate I am going to order some of their candles (sentimental value may make the candle's engery more "powerful" for me)  Smiley

Never thought about the name of the place before either, I suppose it is a play off idyllic-wild, but idle-wild came to my mind first - lol.
pretz
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 22, 2009, 04:13:43 pm

Religion: Solitary Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 11, 2007, 05:36:17 pm »

Okay, I was doing a spell last night, that involved candle magick.  After I had finished, I let my candle burn all night, placing the candle holder with candle in a shallow pan of water, so it wouldn't get on my altar cloth.  I woke up the next morning, expecting to scrub my candle holders, as always, when I realized, there was no wax left.  No wax on my altar cloth, none on the candle holder, none in the pan.  I was shocked by it.  The rest of the wick was still there, as if the candle was burned all the way out, yet, the wax disappeared!  No way anyone came into my room, took the pan and candle holder and scrubbed them clean, because I locked my doors.  I doubt it was a special type of candle, because I bought it at a grocery store (I'm cheap when it comes to tapers). 

Can anyone explain this?
I swear, it's never happened before, I'm usually left with messes.

It sounds like you ignited a dripless candle.  Most tapered candles produced are dripless, and it is often hard to tell the difference just by looking at the candle itself.  Your supplier may have ordered traditional beeswax candles, but there may have been a mix-up at the manufacturer.  Usually, you can tell within an hour of ignition which type you have.  I am unaware of any mystical or magickal differences between them, although I prefer beeswax just because it feels more traditional. 
Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 11, 2007, 06:20:42 pm »

It sounds like you ignited a dripless candle.  Most tapered candles produced are dripless, and it is often hard to tell the difference just by looking at the candle itself.  Your supplier may have ordered traditional beeswax candles, but there may have been a mix-up at the manufacturer.  Usually, you can tell within an hour of ignition which type you have.  I am unaware of any mystical or magickal differences between them, although I prefer beeswax just because it feels more traditional. 

Actually, I do candle magick all the time with tapers, and I haven't encountered a dripless one untill now.
But yeah, already figured it out.

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.
Pixie Tales
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2008, 11:04:22 pm

Religion: Celtic Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 11, 2007, 10:51:20 pm »

Actually, I do candle magick all the time with tapers, and I haven't encountered a dripless one untill now.

I also do Candle Magick all the time.. I go through countless of candles... Anyway.. one day mine did the same exact thing and I was like.. ummm...  Shocked   Didnt light another candle for a week..   Wink

It is pretty freaky when everything disappears when you are not expecting it

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)