The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 27, 2021, 04:23:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2021, 04:23:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mixing Pantheons?  (Read 23910 times)
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #45: August 16, 2007, 11:45:20 am »

Skadi, Loki, etc. have joined the Aesir, hence the clans explanation.  Many joined them, most through marriage or the trade with the Vanir.  I look at Jotun not as a clan but more of 'other'.  If you are not Aesir or Vanir, you are 'other'.  There would be many groups in that 'other' category, some enemies, some neutral, maybe even allies.  They can't all be enemies since they are marrying them, but these 'others' still are not part of the group of gods I follow.  It doesn't matter what their relationship is.  Whether foes or just competition, they are still outside.

That makes somewhat more sense, but I still wouldn't use the term Jotun to describe that or those relationships.  But I still wouldn't call other pantheons enemies of the Aesir or Vanir, unnecessarily.

The Jotun are a certain clan of giants; I wouldn't call the Netjeru Jotun or the Celtic deities Jotun either. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Coll9
Journeyman
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: August 16, 2007, 06:18:26 pm »

Skadi, Loki, etc. have joined the Aesir, hence the clans explanation.  Many joined them, most through marriage or the trade with the Vanir.  I look at Jotun not as a clan but more of 'other'.  If you are not Aesir or Vanir, you are 'other'.  There would be many groups in that 'other' category, some enemies, some neutral, maybe even allies.  They can't all be enemies since they are marrying them, but these 'others' still are not part of the group of gods I follow.  It doesn't matter what their relationship is.  Whether foes or just competition, they are still outside.

Thank you for elaborating on that.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #47: August 16, 2007, 06:54:11 pm »

Please forgive me if this question has been posted before. I have looked for this as a past topic and have not found anything to match my inquiry. If this has been addressed a link would be aprecated.

My question is.... I have read that it is not good to mix panthions is this good advice? But what if one were to feel the pull of two Goddesses from diffrent countries?

I feel a thrill every time I see or hear the name Danu, also the same with Hecate. Some advice or information would be of great help. I have been a seeker now for about 7 months not long I know so forgive my stummbling baby steps.

Pogue

Personally, I think it is fine. If you notice, some people on the thread have already mentioned that gods from different pantheons have called to them, although in some cases they will have to go through the person's 'patron' (if they use that word) deity. But there are some things you need to watch for:

- Hecate and Danu are from seperate pantheons, and they should never be lumped together to be from the same pantheon.

- Unless you are from the 'All-Goddesses-are-One' camp, Hecate and Danu are seperate Goddesses, and it would seem impolite, at least to me, to use them interchangeably on whim. Gods have feelings, too. Smiley Know who you are praying too, who you are offering too, and whom you are asking from. Of course, there may be times when you give an offering to ALL of your gods, but you should check out (whether through UPG or research) that the offering does not tick someone off.

If you are genuine in following both Danu and Hecate, and you don't recieve any "NO DON'T DO THAT!!" signs from either of them, then no one has the right to tell you that you are doing things wrong. Your spirituality is your own.

I think people have pretty much already given you advice for following seperate gods. Probably have seperate altars (Danu and Hecate come from seperate cultures, and thus would probably have some differing symbology).

Good luck! Smiley

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #48: August 16, 2007, 07:00:06 pm »

Probably have seperate altars (Danu and Hecate come from seperate cultures, and thus would probably have some differing symbology).

I don't even do that. Though as I think I've mentioned before, my stone circle belongs to Morrigan. I doubt the Roman gods would have much interest anyway. My altar contains representations of all of my gods, and besides that, I do different little things for them separately as needed or asked.

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #49: August 16, 2007, 07:20:43 pm »

Nowadays I don't use anthropomorphic representations as Deities. I use Mother Earth, from whom we come and to whom we will return, Father Sun, without whose warmth and light the earth would be a barren lifeless rock, and Sister Moon, who controls the tides of Fertility in all creatures, as well as the tides of the Ocean.  In addition I honour Spirits of Place, and the Ancestors.

This sounds quite similar to my beliefs in some ways.

I'm a soft polytheist; I don't go so far as to say all the gods are one, but I think people perceive the same great forces in not quite the same way, and understand them and name them in ways relevant to their time and place and culture. And because I believe our thoughts are equal partners in shaping our reality, those perceptions cause these forces to become different gods to different peoples, with different stories and attributes and relationships. (Much as, in quantum physics, the act of perceiving a particle causes it to take on definitive attributes that otherwise remain undefined...forgive me for mangling quantum theory, but hopefully you get the gist.)

For me, the gods are different, distinct entities, even though they are drawn from the same source.

That lengthy preamble explains why I personally can't mix and match gods from various pantheons. Heck, I can't even worship gods from a culture not my own. For me it's not just disrespectful (to the culture, to the deity), but it's nonsensical. Gods are specific to their time, place, and culture. I can have a keen interest in them and their stories, but worshipping them is out.

Like Midori, I can understand folks who bring their gods with them from the homeland. I even get, to an extent, folks with a particular ethnic heritage who end up reconnecting with the gods of their forebears. But I need gods relevant to me, here, now.

Again, these are my hang-ups. Whatever works for anybody else, if it's done thoughtfully, hey.

Nevyn
Journeyman
Last Login:February 01, 2011, 10:42:36 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: August 16, 2007, 07:49:11 pm »

Personally, I think it is fine. If you notice, some people on the thread have already mentioned that gods from different pantheons have called to them, although in some cases they will have to go through the person's 'patron' (if they use that word) deity. But there are some things you need to watch for:

- Hecate and Danu are from seperate pantheons, and they should never be lumped together to be from the same pantheon.

- Unless you are from the 'All-Goddesses-are-One' camp, Hecate and Danu are seperate Goddesses, and it would seem impolite, at least to me, to use them interchangeably on whim. Gods have feelings, too. Smiley Know who you are praying too, who you are offering too, and whom you are asking from. Of course, there may be times when you give an offering to ALL of your gods, but you should check out (whether through UPG or research) that the offering does not tick someone off.

I'm actually all for it; it's not that I am in the all goddesses are one goddess camp, far from it; for quite some while I was seriously considering becoming a Hellenic reconstructionist, after I was called as a child of Hekate. But then a few others stuck thier oar in; I struggled as to how I could incorporate Tyr for example (who actually just generally hangs around but doesn't bother me) and I spent hours pouring over the books trying to find a link between Hekate and Hephaestus. One day I gave up realising this wasn't to beand that Tyr and Hephaestus whilst alike and in some form compatible were not the same entity per se. And then many years trying to reconcile my brythonic craft tendancies with whom had claimed me.

That being said I am ever more increasingly surprised that more of the Greek pantheon turn up, my latest aquisition appears to be priapus, who now is the the tutelary diety of my spirit altar.

Acceptability of mixing pantheons in my mind comes down to only one thing really, and it's a syncretic view point rather than a polythieistic or pantheistic adeherance. It is an acceptance that each god has a place and validity and as long as you don't blur the boundary's too much then you have to accept what ever goes.

That being said, much as I would like, I am never going to call Hekate, Mhorrigan, Callieach and Hel in the same circle s the quarter guardians, I value my sanity too much Wink

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 07:55:53 pm by naimh » Logged

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #51: August 16, 2007, 07:53:53 pm »

That being said, much as I would like, I am never going to call Hekate, Mhorrigan, Callieach and Hel in the same circle s the quarter guardians, I value my sanity too much Wink

My immediate reaction to that thought was "Never mind my sanity, I value my life too much"  Cheesy
The mental picture did very nasty things to my brain cells!

Nevyn
Journeyman
Last Login:February 01, 2011, 10:42:36 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: August 16, 2007, 07:58:56 pm »

The mental picture did very nasty things to my brain cells!

Doesn't it just Wink

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2021, 03:24:57 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #53: August 16, 2007, 08:11:18 pm »

My immediate reaction to that thought was "Never mind my sanity, I value my life too much"  Cheesy
Well, yeah, especially since anyone actually doing that might already not have any sanity left to lose.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #54: August 16, 2007, 08:55:57 pm »

I did actually do that when I was younger.  Very close, anywhere.  I wouldn't know the Calleiach by name - that position was taken by a local native spirit of rage whose name I'm not even going to try to spell, but Hecate and Morrigan were called.

The spell misfired.  I wanted the guy dead and he went to jail instead - no wagging fingers please; I was and am an adult and don't regret anything except the misfire.

Absent

(It wasn't a circle - I didn't learn about those until I went to uni.  It was a 'call to witness'.  Maybe that saved my sanity?

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #55: August 16, 2007, 09:20:29 pm »

no wagging fingers please; I was and am an adult and don't regret anything except the misfire.

Don't look at me - I don't wag fingers - with good reason Wink <or insert angelic emoticon>

(It wasn't a circle - I didn't learn about those until I went to uni.  It was a 'call to witness'.  Maybe that saved my sanity?

Who knows - but that doesn't give me the same mental images as calling them as quarter guardians did - that was scary.

gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #56: August 16, 2007, 09:52:04 pm »

Don't look at me - I don't wag fingers - with good reason Wink <or insert angelic emoticon>

Who knows - but that doesn't give me the same mental images as calling them as quarter guardians did - that was scary.

Makes me glad I dont call guardians Wink

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #57: August 16, 2007, 09:59:02 pm »

Makes me glad I dont call guardians Wink

Gina

When I use circles I don't call guardians as such......(me and my beer are getting friendly so I think I'll save any comment on what I do do for another time Wink )

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2021, 03:24:57 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #58: August 16, 2007, 10:04:14 pm »

I did actually do that when I was younger.  Very close, anywhere.  I wouldn't know the Calleiach by name - that position was taken by a local native spirit of rage whose name I'm not even going to try to spell, but Hecate and Morrigan were called.

The spell misfired.  I wanted the guy dead and he went to jail instead - no wagging fingers please; I was and am an adult and don't regret anything except the misfire.

Absent

Well, I work with both tM (of course) and Hekate (and have other deities that would get me some raised eyebrows for working with the combinations - come to that, Coyote and tM together raises some eyebrows, but I've been doing it for years... at their instigation, though), so I don't think of it as a total "never have any two of these in the same room"; it was the full slate that got me - and, like Purple, the "quarter guardians" aspect.  I'm not sure why that strikes me as especially problematic, but it does.

"Call to witness" in such circumstances, whether or not a circle is cast, sounds... I won't say "safe", because the point of doing that would be that someone wasn't going to be safe, but not irrational.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #59: August 16, 2007, 10:13:27 pm »

it was the full slate that got me - and, like Purple, the "quarter guardians" aspect.  I'm not sure why that strikes me as especially problematic, but it does.

"Call to witness" in such circumstances, whether or not a circle is cast, sounds... I won't say "safe", because the point of doing that would be that someone wasn't going to be safe, but not irrational.

Sunflower

I'm glad it wasn't just me... (actually reminded me of a spell I have but have never yet had cause to use. Give me cause, I'll use whatever I need to use, but we all know that already lol) and... my relationships with deity aside, I did work out why the imagery affected me that way - because of the way I use circle, or the way I cast circle, however you look at it. But this is probably neither the time nor the place for me to get into that.

I'm not even going to ponder right now if that was why it hit Sunflower - because if it was anywhere close I have a feeling it'd be hitting her from the opposite side of the same... equation.  Undecided

Yes I'm confusing myself.

Sometimes I am reminded that there are good reasons why I should be solitary.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)