The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 26, 2020, 10:37:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2020, 10:37:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: One for Bob  (Read 5242 times)
Phoenix
Adept Member
Last Login:June 14, 2011, 05:51:50 am
United States United States

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 22, 2007, 07:57:50 pm »

Last time I got a Guiness it came in a can
What I want to know is why they tell you to serve it at 34o
You might lager at that temperature, bit it's been my observation that beer is a lot like cheese: you miss half the flavor if it's too cold

I don't check the temp of my beer, but I suspect mine tastes best a lot closer to 55o

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 23, 2007, 12:14:23 pm »

What I want to know is why they tell you to serve it at 34o
You might lager at that temperature, bit it's been my observation that beer is a lot like cheese: you miss half the flavor if it's too cold

I don't check the temp of my beer, but I suspect mine tastes best a lot closer to 55o

I know it bugs people that I generally don't bother to refridgerate my beer.....
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: March 23, 2007, 01:11:07 pm »

I know it bugs people that I generally don't bother to refridgerate my beer.....

I've always wondered about this -- and I know I'm betraying my ignorance here, but you're all nice, tolerant folks.  Tongue 

I don't like dark beers, but I understand that people who do like them prefer to drink them at room temperature.  I love pale ales, lagers, and pilsners -- but only cold.

Is there some beer rule that I'm violating about lighter (colored) beers and temperature?

Not that I'll change how I drink them.  I like what I like.  I'm just curious.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Eadie
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 23, 2007, 02:46:09 pm »

I've always wondered about this -- and I know I'm betraying my ignorance here, but you're all nice, tolerant folks.  Tongue 

I don't like dark beers, but I understand that people who do like them prefer to drink them at room temperature.  I love pale ales, lagers, and pilsners -- but only cold.

Is there some beer rule that I'm violating about lighter (colored) beers and temperature?

Not that I'll change how I drink them.  I like what I like.  I'm just curious.

Many people like dark beers at 'room' temperature, but fewer people feel that way about the paler beers.  I think it is because you can taste more of the flavor at the warmer temperature - but a beer like Budweiser simply doesn't have any flavor.....

You should also drink red wine at room temperature.....
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #19: March 23, 2007, 02:56:51 pm »

Many people like dark beers at 'room' temperature, but fewer people feel that way about the paler beers.  I think it is because you can taste more of the flavor at the warmer temperature - but a beer like Budweiser simply doesn't have any flavor.....

Well, sure, but believe it or not, not all pale beers are Bud.  Some of them, especially the microbrews and imports and such, actually do have real flavor.  It's just not the same flavor as a stout.

I always figured it was related the the whole red wine/white wine thing (white wine is best served chilled, but red at room temp), but I'm not an expert on either beer or wine so I could be drawing a completely incorrect parallel here.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: March 23, 2007, 03:03:52 pm »

Well, sure, but believe it or not, not all pale beers are Bud.  Some of them, especially the microbrews and imports and such, actually do have real flavor.  It's just not the same flavor as a stout.

What Star said!

Budweiser doesn't count as beer, as far as I'm concerned.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #21: March 23, 2007, 03:10:01 pm »

Budweiser doesn't count as beer, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll agree to that one, too.  Budweiser, no.  Various higher-class Pale Ales and wheat beers and so forth?  Yes.  Definitely beer, and in my experience best served chilled.  I can see where cold would dull the heavier notes of a dark beer and agree that room temp may be best for those, but cold seems to bring out the crisper flavors in things on the lighter end of the spectrum.  IMHO, anyway.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: March 23, 2007, 03:23:29 pm »

I'll agree to that one, too.  Budweiser, no.  Various higher-class Pale Ales and wheat beers and so forth?  Yes.  Definitely beer, and in my experience best served chilled.  I can see where cold would dull the heavier notes of a dark beer and agree that room temp may be best for those, but cold seems to bring out the crisper flavors in things on the lighter end of the spectrum.  IMHO, anyway.

Yep.

My current favorite is Sam Adams Pale Ale.  But I'm also a fan of Pilsner Urquel, Peroni, Moretti, Stella Artois, various other Sams, Corona (what can I say, it's ubiquitous), a Thai beer that I can't remember the name of, and the locally-made Blonde Bombshell.

Phoenix
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: March 23, 2007, 05:41:00 pm »

I don't like dark beers
I drink exclusively dark beers, so that would be the difference

I doubt the beer cops are going to come looking for you no matter how you serve it.
It's all in how you like it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan
Phoenix
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: March 23, 2007, 05:44:17 pm »

I can see where cold would dull the heavier notes of a dark beer and agree that room temp may be best for those
Last time I looked, Guinness was a dark beer; and it says right on the bottle to serve it at 34o

- Ronald Reagan
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #25: March 23, 2007, 05:46:36 pm »

Last time I looked, Guinness was a dark beer; and it says right on the bottle to serve it at 34o

Right.  And I'm with you there; I don't get that either.  I tend toward lighter beers (if that wasn't obvious...), but when I drink Guinness it's never cold.

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Eadie
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: March 25, 2007, 11:37:09 am »

I always figured it was related the the whole red wine/white wine thing (white wine is best served chilled, but red at room temp), but I'm not an expert on either beer or wine so I could be drawing a completely incorrect parallel here.

I am fully aware that not all pale beers are bud - i even make pale beers on occassion.  And while I serve those cold, I still fell there is more flavor at room temperature.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.