The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 19, 2020, 03:22:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2020, 03:22:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Christian boot camp director and employee charged  (Read 10680 times)
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm
United States United States

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 13, 2007, 08:16:05 pm »

What got me was the release form the mother had signed. It acknowledges that injuries and even fatalities could result from activities at the camp--and SHE SIGNED IT.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 13, 2007, 08:48:04 pm »

Would a teen boot camp be considered child abuse?  And if coupled with religious indoctrination would it be considered brainwashing?

I would consider it so, definitely. In both cases!!

Although, I could see how properly run these "boot camps" might not always be abusive. They are rarely run properly.

Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 13, 2007, 08:49:34 pm »

What got me was the release form the mother had signed. It acknowledges that injuries and even fatalities could result from activities at the camp--and SHE SIGNED IT.

I'm sure she was thinking of things like swimming accidents, and not killer punishments.  I hope.

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 13, 2007, 08:52:11 pm »

I'm sure she was thinking of things like swimming accidents, and not killer punishments.  I hope.

Perhaps. But I'm thinking of the releases I sign for my daughter, when she attends camps and such. Nothing in there about "fatalities." Injuries, sure. That just struck me as really--wrong.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: August 13, 2007, 10:01:18 pm »

Perhaps. But I'm thinking of the releases I sign for my daughter, when she attends camps and such. Nothing in there about "fatalities." Injuries, sure. That just struck me as really--wrong.

I don't have kids, so I can't speak as a parent, but I can tell you there is no way in hell I would sign something like that nor send my kid there if it was on a release.

(I have to wonder, though, how much something like that would hold up in court. I imagine not too well when it was made obvious it wasn't from an accident.)

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: August 13, 2007, 10:32:33 pm »

I don't have kids, so I can't speak as a parent, but I can tell you there is no way in hell I would sign something like that nor send my kid there if it was on a release.

(I have to wonder, though, how much something like that would hold up in court. I imagine not too well when it was made obvious it wasn't from an accident.)

Generally, a release would not hold up in court if it could be demonstrated that there was negligence (e.g., failure to properly maintain equiment or properly supervise kids) or criminal activity (e.g., assault and battery such as this girl experienced).  The releases only cover actual accidents, where everyone is doing everything right and someone still gets hurt.  Happens in gymnastics training programs all the time, f'ex.

Of course, state laws differ widely, so YMMV.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: August 13, 2007, 11:28:52 pm »

Generally, a release would not hold up in court if it could be demonstrated that there was negligence (e.g., failure to properly maintain equiment or properly supervise kids) or criminal activity (e.g., assault and battery such as this girl experienced).  The releases only cover actual accidents, where everyone is doing everything right and someone still gets hurt.  Happens in gymnastics training programs all the time, f'ex.

Of course, state laws differ widely, so YMMV.

**nods**

That's what I was thinking, though not nearly so well put. Smiley

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #22: August 14, 2007, 04:12:46 am »

Boot camp workers charged with dragging girl
2 men, including director, allegedly punished girl for running too slow

BANQUETE, Texas - Authorities charged the director of a Christian boot camp and an employee with dragging a 15-year-old girl behind a van after she fell behind the group during a morning run.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20230517/

*sporfle*

That's just sick. I've hated these "kid boot camps" since first hearing about them years ago, and this...makes me want to throw up. Hence the *sporfle*.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: August 14, 2007, 09:11:49 am »

I think mine covers anything that can go wrong.  but again, they mean if everyone is doing everything right and safely and they pretty much expect a lawsuit to clear it up if there is a fatality or serious injury involved.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 26, 2007, 11:51:43 am »

I think mine covers anything that can go wrong.  but again, they mean if everyone is doing everything right and safely and they pretty much expect a lawsuit to clear it up if there is a fatality or serious injury involved.

The ones for boy scout and girls scout camps were quite clear that they were to cover accidents when everything was done right and shit still happens - not to cover abuse or negligence. 
Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #25: August 27, 2007, 06:08:17 pm »

If people like the ones who run these boot camps ever got control of the world, I would fear greatly for the future of humanity (not that I don't now). I've read and heard horror stories from people who survived those camps, including one or two that, like the victim, fell behind the group on a run. I hope both the director and employee get a stiff sentence - doesn't have to be an "eye for an eye" type of thing, I just hope they don't get off lightly.   

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie
joshuatenpenny
Journeyman
Last Login:November 01, 2007, 08:09:28 pm

Religion: Asphodel, recon-derived eclectic paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: September 09, 2007, 02:41:40 pm »

I remember reading something about fundies sending kids that they think are gay to places like these and a large number of them end up committing suicide.  Would that be the same for kids who just don't believe in Christianity as well?

There was a cute and silly movie, But I'm a Cheerleader (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179116/) about an ex-gay camp. Very silly. Features RuPaul as an ex-gay counselor.

-- Joshua

nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: September 09, 2007, 03:00:08 pm »

Ya, that movie was created as a spoof of ex-gay camps. I love that movie though, so hilarious and the fact that there is really nothing ex about any of them makes it that much funnier.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: September 09, 2007, 03:03:15 pm »

Ya, that movie was created as a spoof of ex-gay camps. I love that movie though, so hilarious and the fact that there is really nothing ex about any of them makes it that much funnier.

It had its moments.  I wish that the film had dwelled less on stereotypes however.  I quite liked the moment with the straight female who just happened to seem like a butch lesbian.  The film needed more stuff like that, in my opinion.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: September 09, 2007, 03:06:58 pm »

I dunno, I think that was what made it so funny was that it was so ridiculous, and the way it archived that was through using the stereotypes. I mean, look at the camp itself it was unreal, very fake looking, so thus using stereotypes really highlights this.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)