The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 11, 2019, 06:18:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:18:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is your "style" of magic?  (Read 15943 times)
Feisty Dreamer
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2007, 07:36:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: I'll let you know when I do

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 12, 2007, 11:30:55 pm »

I'm curious to know what types or styles of magic people at the cauldron practice. So if you do magic, what do you actually DO?

By styles of magic I mean do you do high ceremonial magic, "low" magic, elemental magic, chaos magic, the magical practices of the reconstructionist religion you follow (say heka in Kemeticism) etc etc.

This is just a short list off the top of my head, and I'm hardly magic-knowledgeable, so these are just labels that I've heard various places.

Once you classify yourself (or declare yourself officially unclassifiable - the eternal "other" of Cauldron polls Wink), what does that actually mean in terms of practice? Are there certain techniques you use, either personally or as part of a larger magical system?

In case a reason is needed for my nosiness, I'm currently not doing any sort of magic, but would like to hear what others here do in terms of different practices, with the hope of finding something that piques my interest for further research.

The boredom you got in Heaven was almost as bad as the excitement you got in Hell.
- Terry Pratchett, Good Omens

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 13, 2007, 01:41:44 am »

Hmm. I'd have to say my style of magic is... practical.

I want results that I can observe and that are useful. That's really the important bit for me - the method used can vary hugely depending on what I feel like and what's available to me. (This either makes me nice and flexible, or a magical magpie who is crap at cohesive systems. I of course prefer to think I'm the former.)

what does that actually mean in terms of practice? Are there certain techniques you use, either personally or as part of a larger magical system?

I'm of the opinion that a lot of magic can be boiled down to very basic bits (like visualisation and energy manipulation) so part of my practice involves keeping those skills up to par. The rest, again, is "what's gonna work best for this?"

I use sigils because they're easy and fun and can be put into artwork. I use servitors. I use candles, herbs, and bits of string - 'low' magic galore. I'm not an expert on Ceremonial Magic by any means, but I understand the basics and keep my Lesser Banshing Ritual well polished. Pop Culture invocation. Little dollies with pins jabbed into them.

Magic is one of my great loves, so pretty much if I think I can do it? I'll try it.

- N
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 13, 2007, 02:12:11 am »

I don't do a lot of magic, but what I do is of the "low" magic, kitchen witchery, hoodoo variety.  I'm most comfortable with various forms of sympathetic magic and magic involving symbols.  I've never done any ceremonial magic, and have no desire to.

I have absolutely no system at all. Cheesy

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 13, 2007, 08:17:30 am »

Another "low" magic person here. I do any form of magic that will get the job done,, whether it be from hoodoo, folk, pow-wow, etc. I am rather fond of hoodoo, though. I don't like or do high magic, CM, etc. It's beautiful, but I have no patience for the effort required, and as a bonus, I'm lazy.  Tongue

Basically, though, since "doing" magic has very little to do with my path (Heka plays a huge part, but not spells), and since I've been working with magic since I was young, I'm a witch who is Kemetic, not a Kemetic witch. If that makes any sense at all. My spellcraft has nothing to do with my path, it is simply something I do as a way of life.  Smiley
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 13, 2007, 09:58:17 am »

I'm curious to know what types or styles of magic people at the cauldron practice. So if you do magic, what do you actually DO?

By styles of magic I mean do you do high ceremonial magic, "low" magic, elemental magic, chaos magic, the magical practices of the reconstructionist religion you follow (say heka in Kemeticism) etc etc.

Chaos magic is more of a meta-technique/ paradigm etc.  One can be practicing Chaos Magic while performing low magic, high magic, etc etc.  In fact, it's preferable to be trying out different methods. Smiley

I self identify as a Chaote, but I tend towards ceremonial techniques, as well as non-ritualistic stuff.  Lately I've been experimenting with trying to bring Will to bear directly.  I can't think of a good term for the technique I use for that (not to suggest that I'm the first one to ever think of it, just that I dont know of any commonly used terminology).

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 13, 2007, 10:54:23 am »

My 'style' I guess would be life magic.  My means of raising energy, is an 'on the spot' technique.

Think of something you're good at, that makes you feel absoloutely explosively giddy.  There is a certain *vibe* to it.  For me it's my plants.  I get a very happy, tickled pink kind of energy when I think about my monstera growing stalks and unfurling leaves.  I think about being my monstera, or my rose bushes drawing up that energy and growing so fast, you can see measurable growth during the course of the day, then I move that energy outward and attach it to whatever I'm working with.

If it's making a shopping cart stay in a spot that it wants to roll back out of the bin return, finding something in the store that I've been specifically looking for, crossing communication barriers, being a little more visible, being a little less visible...  I pretty much infuse everything I do with a bit of that energy.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 13, 2007, 12:58:11 pm »

I was going to say Low, which is true, a lot of kitchen witchery, and sympathetic magic, but I have to agree.. practical magic.....
Candles, herbs, stones, anything that is to hand - sometimes it feels like substitution is my middle name. I've often said I'm no Martha Stewart around home - don't get me wrong, it'll taste good/feel good/be warm, cosy, whatever - but it sure won't win any prizes for looking good usually, and the same applies to magic... now I just need to think of a magical equivalent to Martha Stewart!!

Straying back on topic, lately it seems I've been creating charms, just seems to have been what's needed - which is where the practical comes in again - whatever it takes for whatever is needed for me and mine, but don't expect bells and whistles.... and no I'm not always nice about it. I know it wasn't part of the original question but no, not everything I do is 'nice', life isn't always 'nice' and so not everything I consider necessary is 'nice' either. Ok, probably 95% of it is, but that's just the way it is lol

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 12:41:51 am

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: March 13, 2007, 02:26:57 pm »

Another metoo vote here, I think.

Kitchen witchery, folk magic, a little bit of energy working, a side order of Chaos to patch up the gaps.

Guenthecat
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2010, 11:27:22 am

Religion: Folk Pagan??

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 13, 2007, 02:50:15 pm »

I'm a low/practical magic girl.  The simpler the better, in my book.  The pomp and circumstance of ceremonial/high magic isn't for me.  I'm beginning to learn about herbs and such, so folk/herbal magic is what I'm into right now.  Once I get my feet under me there, I wanna look into some Hoodoo.  I do most of my magic in my kitchen, which is seriously the Center of my life.

Guen  ~:)
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 13, 2007, 02:52:29 pm »

Another kitchen witch here.  I do a lot with herbs, but also use stones, candles, whatever's at hand.
meandering_mark
Last Login:April 22, 2008, 10:06:44 am

Religion: Homebrew

To seek the Answer, first learn the Question.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 13, 2007, 03:00:35 pm »

I'd have to claim "quiet, practical, semi-kitchen" as mine. I'm disinclined to go High Ceremonial, because so much of it is rooted in a spiritual path that feels inappropriate for me. I will use symbols, and most of them map well to the "Wesoteric" rules....others are mappings that make sense to me...either through personal study or the ever-popular UPG. [Example: I honor and respect the traditional elemental directions, but generally don't use them for personal work. Instead, I key to my environment....I'm on the US East coast, so the biggest body of water is due east of me, but the local reservoir is south of my home. To use either of these associations requires some shuffling. ]

"Props" like candles, herbs, & inscriptions on paper are helpful; they are, however, not essential.  I'm just as likely to perform a full ritual while seemingly standing stock still with my eyes closed.

As far as "practical" - I recall someone taking offense when they asked me for a "spell to make me [the speaker] have better endurance."  I gave them a bit of frankly mediocre verse that would help with positive, constructive visualizations -- but that, for it to be most effective, it must be used as a marching cadence. Apparently, having to do something other than recite verse  was not acceptable.

I've also got what I'm told is a bad habit. I keep a detailed log of magic(k)al workings - goal, date/time, prevailing conditions, ritual details, AND RESULTS [if any].  That last part seems to offend some folks - not sure why.

Mrak [Meandering_Mark]

To seek the Answer, one must first seek the Question.
owl in the vine
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 04:30:45 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hellenic-Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 13, 2007, 03:06:59 pm »

I'd describe my style as 'improvisational'. I tend to have a clearly defined goal and one or two preselected ingredients or elements, but if I try to plan it or be ritualistic about it, or use a spell someone else created as more than a framework, it doesn't work. If I just let it come from the heart in whatever form it will, I get results.

In practice, I tend to use an awful lot of visualisation, chanting (sometimes accompanied by gesture sequences), sometimes stones, sometimes candles... Generally there's some kind of theory behind the physical elements, but some of it's purely instinctive.

Oh, and I can't do magic that involves writing in English. I think because I'm a fantasy writer, my mind associates written-magic to 'not-real'. Transliterating into runes works, but feels magpie-eclectic (especially since I'm not sure I'm doing it right) so I don't do that often any more.

*Bacchae with PMS- you have been warned.*
violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 13, 2007, 04:25:48 pm »

I know it wasn't part of the original question but no, not everything I do is 'nice', life isn't always 'nice' and so not everything I consider necessary is 'nice' either. Ok, probably 95% of it is, but that's just the way it is lol

I understand - I seem to have a talent for curses. *laughs* It's a running gag in my family.

Someone mentioned keeping a magical log - dude, I have no idea who would ever say that was a bad habit. How else are you supposed to keep track of experiments and whether or not they worked?! I record most (if not all) of my workings and rituals in my livejournal and I include as much detail as I possibly can and any visible results. I can't fathom not doing so, actually.

- N
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 13, 2007, 05:10:48 pm »

I understand - I seem to have a talent for curses. *laughs* It's a running gag in my family.

Someone mentioned keeping a magical log - dude, I have no idea who would ever say that was a bad habit. How else are you supposed to keep track of experiments and whether or not they worked?! I record most (if not all) of my workings and rituals in my livejournal and I include as much detail as I possibly can and any visible results. I can't fathom not doing so, actually.

- N

lol I think I'm just glad no-one has yet been dumb enough to push me that far.

I second the the question as to how keeping a log can be a bad idea though. I know I should keep a record, I wish I had/did, but in all honesty I just never seem to have the time....

magicklynxx
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 18, 2009, 12:36:06 pm

Religion: Pagan

What if?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 13, 2007, 06:02:23 pm »

I like to try different things. Having tried a number of things, I do have preferences as to what works better for me.

Much of my magick is nature-based which ties my magickal goals in with my spirituality-- goals that have to do with my personal growth--that is, goals that help me to do what I feel moved towards as my purpose for being.  In a way, this includes more shamanistic type workings than spellwork. A lot of time is spent outside, in the garden or in the woods, talking with the trees, flowers, animals, and natural landmarks; it also includes pathworkings, attuning with ley lines, and communicating with nature spirits.  There is spellwork that goes on, but it is not the focus. The focus is mainly on the spirits of the places in nature, to protect them, nurture them, and in return they help me to find solace and to discover their wisdom and lore. Most of my religious ritual occurs in the outdoors also, mostly full moon circles.

Another sort of magick I work with I call enchantment.  My friends have always said I have a way with the energy of a home (even other people's homes) so that when people come into it they feel relaxed, happy, healthy, and at times socially stimulated.  This is because I both conciously and unconciously work to create that atmosphere using crystals, incense, essential oils, color, and music. Much of this includes building altars throughout the home and setting up wards for protection. This doesn't involve what I would call spellwork, as there is not incantations or formal ritual involved.  Although feng shui would be nice to work into this, I am not yet comfortable with all the concepts of feng shui mixing with my western-based ideas. 

This prepares me for more low magick type of spellwork so that I can get what I want out of my life.  Shocked  Yep, that's right.  I have bills to pay, a family to protect and provide for, personal goals, etc.  I use what works. Knots, candles, chanting, kitchen witchery, blood, petition, etc.

~Lecia~

May you ever walk comfortably in the shadows. Neither blinded by the light nor lost in the dark...

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)