The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2020, 12:31:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2020, 12:31:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finding the right path and a God/Goddess  (Read 12173 times)
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member
Last Login:March 11, 2008, 07:07:34 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Brighideach Druid (OBOD) and a little bit of witchery thrown in.

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 15, 2007, 08:42:21 pm »

Does anyone have any tips on finding which God/Goddess you are destined to worship, if any?

I struggle daily with my beliefs for many reasons, I'll go in to a couple of them not too deeply here:

My mother brought us up as non-denominational.  We were taught morals etc, she told us she believed in Jesus, as in he was a good man who did good things, and we should follow that.  We since learned she is (quite) Christian, she just never imposed those beliefs on us.  She is incredibly accepting and I think if I told her outright "I am a 'insert religion here'" she would just accept me, however I would still feel (even at 30) funny telling her.

My partner is Catholic, fairly strict, but clearly not too much so, we live together out of wedlock!

My siblings again are very accepting, though cynical/critical (probably due to a hard life lol!).

I think a lot of it is more to do with what general society perceives would be other peoples reactions, rather than what I feel their reactions would be, if that makes sense?

My point is that it's hard for me to find the time and space to spend finding out where I am going.  I draw a tarot each morning for guidance and I try to mediatate a little on waking and sleeping.  I also spend time breathing in the fresh air and appreciating the world around me, but I would not feel happy setting up an altar just yet, though I have done in the past, my ex husband worked away a lot.

I also try to find time each day to sit in peace and if possible meditate.  I don't work at the moment due to a bad accident last year, so I have the time for this.

I guess what I'm asking is does anyone have any suggestions on who to call, or at least how to find out?  There are so many Gods and Goddesses, I just don't know where to start!  I suppose it would help if I knew exactly which path I was going down...  I feel somewhat drawn to Wicca.  I also feel a strong need to heal.  But I don't know if the former is because that is what I already know more about and if the latter is because I just feel a need to help others; or whether they are really the paths I am drawn to!

My apologies for going on and being a bit confusing!

Thanks in advance, Neme.

Mae'r cariad at fy ngwlad yn berwi yn fy ngwaed.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Halstrom
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2010, 04:42:20 pm
United States United States

Religion: Seeker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 15, 2007, 08:54:41 pm »

Does anyone have any tips on finding which God/Goddess you are destined to worship, if any?

Is there any specific pantheon that you're drawn to? Or any specific culture that you're interested? If so, then you might want to begin to look into the religious beliefs of that culture. And within that pantheon, see if there's any specific God/Goddess that you're drawn to.
Lynleigh
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 04:07:50 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 15, 2007, 09:00:36 pm »

I started researching different paths, looking at how other people viewed the world and the divine, I did a lot of soul searching about what I truly believed and how that fit into my life, and somewhere along that journey I found Kemeticism.  It was like a light had turned on in a part of my life that had previously been hidden in shadows.

My advice would be donít rush the process, it isnít a race, youíll find out where you belong it just may take some time.
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 15, 2007, 09:14:21 pm »

Is there any specific pantheon that you're drawn to? Or any specific culture that you're interested? If so, then you might want to begin to look into the religious beliefs of that culture. And within that pantheon, see if there's any specific God/Goddess that you're drawn to.

Only to the point that I am Welsh by birth and feel I should go along the Celtic lines, but I've always been wary of even going down that path in case it's not for me.  Perhaps it's my wariness that is stopping me?  I did once look through the Celtic Gods, but perhaps it just wasn't the right time for me.  I will try it again and see where I follow...

I started researching different paths, looking at how other people viewed the world and the divine, I did a lot of soul searching about what I truly believed and how that fit into my life, and somewhere along that journey I found Kemeticism.  It was like a light had turned on in a part of my life that had previously been hidden in shadows.

My advice would be don’t rush the process, it isn’t a race, you’ll find out where you belong it just may take some time.

Hmm, maybe it's my impatience, because I'm very impatient!  Even though I know it's not a race I'm nearly 30 (in a few days, *gulp*) and I've been searching all my life.  Sometimes I actually envy children whose parents put them on a specific religious path lol!  Except that means it's often harder to leave and truly follow your heart...

Thank you both of you.  Just writing it has helped me think it through a little, and believe it or not I've just had a fairly "deep and meaningful" with my other half, who has just stated it's "fine by him" as to where I want to go with my life.  I genuinely do feel blessed to have so many accepting people in my life.  As I said before, I think my fears with regards to telling people stem more from society in generals reactions, rather than the likely reactions of those of the people closest to me.

Rain
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2008, 12:31:39 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Panentheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 15, 2007, 09:17:59 pm »

I guess what I'm asking is does anyone have any suggestions on who to call, or at least how to find out?  There are so many Gods and Goddesses, I just don't know where to start!  I suppose it would help if I knew exactly which path I was going down...  I feel somewhat drawn to Wicca.  I also feel a strong need to heal.  But I don't know if the former is because that is what I already know more about and if the latter is because I just feel a need to help others; or whether they are really the paths I am drawn to!

I would suggest you simply call the Sacred, rather than a specific deity, or your "higher self" if you prefer, and ask for guidance and direction.  You may not find you wish to work with individual deities.  Thing is, spirituality is an ongoing process of discovery, your beliefs may change along the way, and there's not necessarily "destined Gods/Goddesses".  I find the Gods call to those they wish to work with.

You might consider doing a study of various Pagan paths to see if any other "feel" right, though I would trust your instinct if I were you on that, rather than second-guessing.  Still, it can't hurt to, say, try the Belief-o-Matic quiz to examine and consider beliefs and get basic info - http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html - or check out the Pagan Primer here on the Cauldron - http://www.ecauldron.com/newpagan.php - or simply read the articles at left in the sidebar under Article Library to learn more about various Pagan paths.  Drawing Down the Moon is a good overview of various Pagan paths as well; it's even available at my library so maybe is at your own.

nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 15, 2007, 09:32:14 pm »

I would suggest you simply call the Sacred, rather than a specific deity, or your "higher self" if you prefer, and ask for guidance and direction.  You may not find you wish to work with individual deities.  Thing is, spirituality is an ongoing process of discovery, your beliefs may change along the way, and there's not necessarily "destined Gods/Goddesses".  I find the Gods call to those they wish to work with.

You might consider doing a study of various Pagan paths to see if any other "feel" right, though I would trust your instinct if I were you on that, rather than second-guessing.  Still, it can't hurt to, say, try the Belief-o-Matic quiz to examine and consider beliefs and get basic info - http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html - or check out the Pagan Primer here on the Cauldron - http://www.ecauldron.com/newpagan.php - or simply read the articles at left in the sidebar under Article Library to learn more about various Pagan paths.  Drawing Down the Moon is a good overview of various Pagan paths as well; it's even available at my library so maybe is at your own.

That's what I was wondering, whether you actually do have to find someone in particular, or whether S/He will come when needed.

I've looked a little at other religions but tend to find I learn not a lot, mainly because I don't feel a draw or a pull to them in any way, which I'm taking as a sign to mean they are not the path I should be following.

I intend to register at the library tomorrow (I've only been here two years, tut tut...), so I will have a look for that.

Thank you Smiley

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: August 15, 2007, 09:43:41 pm »

I would ask you a question ....

are you, at heart, a polytheist, or do you believe in all gods being aspects of One?  Or both?  (yes, both IS an option.  either that or I'm crazier than usual).

If gods are aspects, finding a specific one isn't so important.  If you're a hard polytheist, finding a *specific* god becomes a lot more important.

and, of course, what are you looking /for/?  Connection, a cosmic buddy, an answer to some questions .... figuring out the question can really help.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 15, 2007, 09:45:32 pm »

I was going to suggest something similar to what Rain said (except I would have done it less eloquently Wink )

That's what I was wondering, whether you actually do have to find someone in particular, or whether S/He will come when needed.

Nothing at says you have to.
And if Someone wants your attention they'll find a way - sometimes frustratingly subtly, sometimes like being hit with a two by four.
And even if No-one does, now, that's not to say they never will, and not to say that you can't show honour and respect to deity(s) who attract you if/when you come across them.

Just take it one step at a time, frustrating as that may be Wink

FWI I never set out looking for a specific deity, I was quite-happy-thank-you-very-much functioning in my own very of how the world works, but, She found me.

and, of course, what are you looking /for/?  Connection, a cosmic buddy, an answer to some questions .... figuring out the question can really help.
And Shad, who posts faster than me lol, makes good points.

(I do love that 'new reply' warning thingy!)

AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 15, 2007, 09:57:48 pm »

I'm not sure if I can tell you what to follow. My way of working just kind of came to me; I found D'aulries and from the time I saw Apollo, I think I've known that this was my path. But since starting at the begining of last year I've been uncovering my past lives, which as fluffy as it sounds has been a big experience for me and helped me find what I had buried down deep inside.

When I found my first life, the only name I could think of was Adonia, but it never sounded right. Then I had the baby name book out one day and found the name Aionia. It means everlasting life.

Figuring it was a coincedence I brushed it off a little, but picked the name up. The second life I remembered was a young woman during the Trojan War, an amazon. I was always thinking Penta, or Pentha, something with relation to the number five. Then I had a day dream which was the closest I've ever had to a flash back, I had the feeling of being speared and two men standing over me. The next week I found out about Penthesilea, which really threw me for a loop.

My apologies for going on and being a bit confusing!

Don't worry, sweetheart. I'm the queen of confusing posts that just keep going...
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 15, 2007, 10:06:23 pm »

I was going to suggest something similar to what Rain said (except I would have done it less eloquently Wink )

Nothing at says you have to.
And if Someone wants your attention they'll find a way - sometimes frustratingly subtly, sometimes like being hit with a two by four.
(I do love that 'new reply' warning thingy!)

I just got a smack between the eyes with a two by four.  She just went "d'oh, you didn't see me before??" I almost feel like a phoney, it's so quick.  I just took the advice of going with a particular pantheon (Celt for me) and this name kept looking at me from a list, so I did a little looking up and She just fits so well with my life, I mean to the point that it's almost scary.  I suddenly feel so alive, and it's nearly 3am here.  I just wish libraries were 24 hour opening!

I won't say who she is yet, I need to check my research and of course I need to ask Her if it's ok, she might not like me  Wink

I love that warning too, except it keeps going off when I try to post this!!!

I would ask you a question ....

are you, at heart, a polytheist, or do you believe in all gods being aspects of One?  Or both?  (yes, both IS an option.  either that or I'm crazier than usual).

If gods are aspects, finding a specific one isn't so important.  If you're a hard polytheist, finding a *specific* god becomes a lot more important.

I would say I believe in many Gods, although they all represent an ultimate end (end being probably the wrong word, but all I can think of this time of the morning, see, you're not the only crazy one!) but yes, there are certainly different Gods and Goddesses, in my opinion.

As for what I'm looking for, hmm, I guess initially it would be connection, a focus, somewhere to start, if that doesn't sound too disrespectful.  It would be a God/dess to start me off on the path, a bit like a new teacher in a new school...

When I found my first life, the only name I could think of was Adonia, but it never sounded right. Then I had the baby name book out one day and found the name Aionia. It means everlasting life.

Figuring it was a coincedence I brushed it off a little, but picked the name up. The second life I remembered was a young woman during the Trojan War, an amazon. I was always thinking Penta, or Pentha, something with relation to the number five. Then I had a day dream which was the closest I've ever had to a flash back, I had the feeling of being speared and two men standing over me. The next week I found out about Penthesilea, which really threw me for a loop.

That sounds great.  My name just flashed up in front of my eyes seven years ago.  I didn't even know what Nemesis meant at the time, but I knew it was for me.  When I looked it up it was very significant for the time too, so I kept it!

Don't worry, sweetheart. I'm the queen of confusing posts that just keep going...

At least I'm not the only one! Wink

I'm thinking I need to go relax, sleep and get my reading head on for tomorrow...

Thank you all again Smiley

Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 16, 2007, 01:29:49 am »

I just got a smack between the eyes with a two by four.  She just went "d'oh, you didn't see me before??" I almost feel like a phoney, it's so quick.  I just took the advice of going with a particular pantheon (Celt for me) and this name kept looking at me from a list, so I did a little looking up and She just fits so well with my life, I mean to the point that it's almost scary.  I suddenly feel so alive, and it's nearly 3am here.  I just wish libraries were 24 hour opening!

I'm thinking I need to go relax, sleep and get my reading head on for tomorrow...

Thank you all again Smiley

I love it when that happens! Cheesy I know it sounds lazy but one of the things I love most about being a pagan is that the gods come to us. Not to discound the soul searching and research that can often go into it but there's not a feeling like it on earth like a clue-by-four to the noggin!  Grin

I won't say who she is yet, I need to check my research and of course I need to ask Her if it's ok, she might not like me

Chances are if she came to you, she likes you. Tongue And I'm just dying of curiosity. Whenever you feel comfortable, that is. Wink
singerj
Last Login:May 15, 2008, 02:22:22 pm

Religion: Green Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 16, 2007, 03:46:19 am »

I first chose Cybele almost randomly...but then saw that I was drawn to her for a reason.  Same with Frigg.  I do believe that all are aspects of One, though.  I've not yet been drawn to a god in personal meditation work.  That may change, but for now I am focusing on Goddess.

How neat that we choose who is choosing us too.  Some people have the "smack on the head" reaction, and some do not...some are drawn in other ways.

I thought about this when choosing a drum for drum circles.  First I was looking for a drum to "call my name", and it just wasn't happening.  Then I turned my brain on and thought about what sounded good, vibrant, interesting, and found it!!!

Good stuff.

Best of luck!
Cassidy Nighthawk
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #12: August 16, 2007, 04:14:44 am »

Cassidy Nighthawk

Welcome to the cauldron, Cassidy

Marilyn

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 16, 2007, 07:15:48 am »

I know it sounds lazy but one of the things I love most about being a pagan is that the gods come to us.

And I'm just dying of curiosity. Whenever you feel comfortable, that is. Wink

Hehehe, maybe that's why I'm drawn to a form of paganism, cos I'm lazy!  I'll tell soon enough don't worry!

How neat that we choose who is choosing us too.  Some people have the "smack on the head" reaction, and some do not...some are drawn in other ways.

It is cool isn't it?  And satisfying too, kinda makes you feel wanted Wink 

I noticed this is your first post, so hi  Smiley  I'm a noobie too!

Neme.

nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 16, 2007, 10:04:55 am »

And I'm just dying of curiosity. Whenever you feel comfortable, that is. Wink

Ok, drum roll........  Lol!  Her name is Belisama Smiley

I haven't heard of Her before, but I decided to find a list of Celtic Gods and her name jumped out straight away, even after scrolling through the whole lot.

Right, here are the bits I've found out about Her so far.  This is all from the web, so I don't know how accurate it all is, so please correct me if I'm wrong!

Her name means something along the lines of Bright One, Fiery One, Summer Bright.  She is the Goddess of light and fire (I have a strong affinity with fire, and I'm a leo), forging and crafts (I love my crafting), rivers and creeks (I spent most of my childhood outside up to my knees in rivers!) and the sun and the moon (I love both these, I can sun/moon bathe for hours!) and the sky.

She is also (possibly?) the Goddess of wisdom (I like to think I'm clever Wink ) and of healing (which I feel a strong urge to learn/do).

She is in the Tylwyth Teg stories, which I loved as a child when we learned them in school.  She is also, possibly, in one of the Lady of the Lake stories (where She takes the cattle back to the lake), which is a story I loved and felt close to as a child.

According to another site Belisama wears silver and diamonds.  I hate gold, I adore silver or white gold, I love clear stones like diamonds, or if coloured I prefer red (fire).

Possibly She is the muse of poetry (which I've always written therapeutically) and music (my whole family has a pull to music and we use it to express ourselves, not necessarily playing, but listening).

Someone else associated Her with Brecon, which as I said in a different post, is not far from here, and I loved playing there when we'd go up there as children.

Belisama also has links with Italy (we have Italian heritage).

Some sites say She is the Goddess of the Mersey river, however others say it is more likely to be a river further north, judging from old maps.  This river is called the Ribble.  My nick name in secondary (high) school was Ribby, strange...

Also, my brother and I call each other Bella/Bello (see heritage above, it's about the only word we know lol!), cos we love each other lots and are both vain, lmao!

Obviously I need to go to the library and research and read properly, wasn't able to do this today as I wanted to, but so far it's seeming a bit more than coincidence to have so many links after feeling a pull to the name.

Hopefully nobody will tell me all of the above is wrong now!

I feel very excited and almost nervous (butterflies in the tummy!) about this, like a first date Smiley

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Neme.

I also forgot to mention my name.  I've said before how Nemesis Firestorm just came to me (and I didn't even know what nemesis meant at the time), and of course Firestorm fits with Belisama too Smiley
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 11:35:12 am by nemesisfirestorm, Reason: Added the sentence about my name. » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)