The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 12, 2020, 01:56:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 12, 2020, 01:56:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finding the right path and a God/Goddess  (Read 11957 times)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 16, 2007, 12:00:51 pm »

I guess what I'm asking is does anyone have any suggestions on who to call, or at least how to find out?  There are so many Gods and Goddesses, I just don't know where to start!  I suppose it would help if I knew exactly which path I was going down...  I feel somewhat drawn to Wicca.  I also feel a strong need to heal.  But I don't know if the former is because that is what I already know more about and if the latter is because I just feel a need to help others; or whether they are really the paths I am drawn to!

As people have said, there's tons of ways to start. Some people *do* feel called to a specific deity fairly quickly. Other people, it takes more time. (And sometimes, it's a case of you choosing to follow a deity, sometimes a case of them choosing you, and sometimes somewhere in the middle: you approach, get their attention, and then there's more specific interest.)

One of the things that was part of my training was spending time getting familiar with a range of different deities. (In our case, the ones the group works with, or who are otherwise particularly relevant.) Some of this is book-research, but some of it is also experience: one of the things we have students do is some kind of creative project for each deity (it's been everything from painting to music to poetry to calligraphy to gardening to making scented lotion.)

While my personal deity work is with entirely different deities, I liked that, because I got a greater feel for different deities, and also the "Is this something I want to explore more?" sort of thing.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

nemesisfirestorm
Master Member
Last Login:March 11, 2008, 07:07:34 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Brighideach Druid (OBOD) and a little bit of witchery thrown in.

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 16, 2007, 09:58:25 pm »

As people have said, there's tons of ways to start. Some people *do* feel called to a specific deity fairly quickly.

Some of this is book-research, but some of it is also experience: one of the things we have students do is some kind of creative project for each deity (it's been everything from painting to music to poetry to calligraphy to gardening to making scented lotion.)

Hi,

I think I got my call lol, She kind of slapped me...

Book research is something I need to get in to properly, I fully intend to get back in to using a library again.

I love the idea of doing a creative project for a deity.  I am really crafty (in all senses of the word, sometimes!) and love painting, writing, candle making, card making, poetry, beading, sculpting etc so this is something I may well do.

I am going to meditate tonight and just double check that Belisama is ok with me, and see if She (I'm hopeful as ever) has something to teach me about Herself (there is not a lot available on the net, hence needing good old books!) and using a crafting project to take that a step further would probably be a really good step.

Thanks Smiley

Neme.

Mae'r cariad at fy ngwlad yn berwi yn fy ngwaed.

old fart
Last Login:August 17, 2007, 10:39:39 am

Religion: free thinker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 17, 2007, 10:38:32 am »

I believe that all religians and governments serve no other purpose other than to use,abuse,or otherwise menipulate there followers.
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 17, 2007, 11:14:41 am »

I believe that all religians and governments serve no other purpose other than to use,abuse,or otherwise menipulate there followers.

I know someone who thinks precisely that.

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 17, 2007, 11:17:47 am »

I wouldn't say that about ALL religions, for example I know my religion isn't about manipulating followers!! You're right, unfortunately, about a good number of "organized" religions.

nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 17, 2007, 11:22:53 am »

Not entirely sure how it answers my original question, Wink lol!  But I can see that some do, although I think it is more to do with the people in "charge", rather than the religions or any systems of politics themselves.

In theory governments and religions should all be good, the main flaw with them is that we have to allow human beings to run/regulate them, and unfortunately there are some very selfish, self-centred humans out there!

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #21: August 17, 2007, 11:28:36 am »

I wouldn't say that about ALL religions, for example I know my religion isn't about manipulating followers!! You're right, unfortunately, about a good number of "organized" religions.

Now while I have my own issues with some organised religions, I don't think it applies to ALL either. (Same cannot be said for someone I know but that's another story lol) And certainly not to those, like Dania, who are forming their own. *ongoing pondering* (pondering me, not you, Dania, lest you wonder Smiley )

This is not however the thread for the rest of that pondering.

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: August 17, 2007, 12:03:04 pm »

I think that's an over statement.  There's a potential for the use of religion as a tool, but that can be said of most things in human existecne.  I don't personally believe in the existance of any deities, but at the same time, I don't think religions are a Bad Thing.

As for governments...well, they're useful.  Maybe that just means I think people ought to be manipulated and used.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #23: August 17, 2007, 12:09:59 pm »

Maybe that just means I think people ought to be manipulated and used.

Maybe that's a whole other subject! Grin

gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 17, 2007, 12:19:43 pm »

I think that's an over statement.  There's a potential for the use of religion as a tool, but that can be said of most things in human existecne.  I don't personally believe in the existance of any deities, but at the same time, I don't think religions are a Bad Thing.

As for governments...well, they're useful.  Maybe that just means I think people ought to be manipulated and used.

Well, like any organization, governments/religions can be good or bad.  It really depends on who is running them!  A really good organization can be very, very good.  A really bad organization can be very, very bad.  The real question is, do we want anarchy? Because without ANY organization that is what we would have.  Now I like a little anarchy, but with as many people as there are in the world, anarchy isnt necessarily a good thing!  

Think about it, without any organizations (government/religion) we wouldnt have computers, or electricity, or running water, or even necessarily a steady food supply.  Hospitals would be out.  It would be dog eat dog, and every one would be fighting and struggling just for bare necessities to survive, not to mention facing other people who are trying to steal their food supplies for the winter.  Some third world countries today, in the midst of drought and war are in similar crises today.  People are starving to death frequently.  Mass murders and genocide are common.

Most accomplishments that have ever been accomplished, have only been accomplished because there is organization in our social structure.  

How would marriages take place? Probably the old fashioned way of man capturing woman.  What happens to small children if parents are killed?  Chances are they would die.  All this if we lived without organization.

Now there are of course, several examples of bad organization in our history.  Hitler's Nazi regime for one.

There are others.  Hussein wasnt nice either.

But overall, I prefer living in a house with electricity, running water, my computer Wink  And at least I am not out laboring all day, hunting, gathering, and growing food, and then living in mortal fear of losing my life every day for fear people would succeed in stealing the very things I just worked so hard to gather.

Not to mention I like having my car Wink Something else that wouldnt exist without organization.

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: August 17, 2007, 04:12:28 pm »

Also, the thing that makes organisations bad, is the people in them.  Take away the bad organisation, and you still have the people.  Time and time again, it's people that are the problem, and you can't remove the problem without eliminating all the humans.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: August 17, 2007, 10:57:15 pm »

Ok, drum roll........  Lol!  Her name is Belisama Smiley

I feel very excited and almost nervous (butterflies in the tummy!) about this, like a first date Smiley

Cheesy

You: *awkwardly* So...do you like....stuff?
Her: *idly running a finger around her chalice* Yeah, stuff's...cool.

Sorry. Tongue
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #27: August 18, 2007, 05:24:10 am »

Cheesy

You: *awkwardly* So...do you like....stuff?
Her: *idly running a finger around her chalice* Yeah, stuff's...cool.

Sorry. Tongue

Lmao!  That has to be one of the funniest replies I've ever read to something I've written in years! Grin

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #28: August 18, 2007, 08:41:12 am »

I am going to meditate tonight and just double check that Belisama is ok with me, and see if She (I'm hopeful as ever) has something to teach me about Herself (there is not a lot available on the net, hence needing good old books!) and using a crafting project to take that a step further would probably be a really good step.

Welcome to the continental celtic world  Wink = rare written info (by Romans and Greek) and loads of UPG.
Okeh a bit archology, but what is interpreted out of it, is often to be taken with a saltbag.
Good Luck with your Lady  Smiley

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #29: August 18, 2007, 09:08:34 am »

Welcome to the continental celtic world  Wink = rare written info (by Romans and Greek) and loads of UPG.
Okeh a bit archology, but what is interpreted out of it, is often to be taken with a saltbag.
Good Luck with your Lady  Smiley

Tell me about it, I've just come back from the library, and it's pititful... Sad  Loads of stuff on the Celts in general, because of where we live, but not a lot of anything else...  Picked up a couple of books in Welsh too, which may be more helpful, especially Y Mabinogion and local folklore etc.  I just hope my Welsh is still up to scratch! Roll Eyes

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)