The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 04, 2020, 08:08:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 04, 2020, 08:08:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: First Tarot Accuracy?  (Read 6216 times)
thresher11
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 15, 2007, 02:18:07 am
United States United States

Religion: Green(ish) Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 19, 2007, 01:59:42 am »

Ok, I went out earlier and bought my first tarot deck, a Waite, and a guide book, and I just finished playing with it.  I did my first reading, one on myself, and the results are kind of bugging me.  Not because I think they are way off, its quite the opposite.  They seem to have hit right head-on, and I'm just afraid that I'll put a serious relationship at risk if I follow them and end up being wrong.

I asked for a bit of guidance with my girlfriend of 1 1/2 years, just because I thought it might be an entertaining first read.  I was suprized at how well the first cards were relating to my situation, and became a bit alarmed as an issue that bothered me in the past.  I've had a bit of an addiction, one which I prefer not to go into here, that continues to rear its ugly head.  It seems to me my reading thinks I should confront this addiction (which my gf doesnt know about) by confessing it to her.  In a Celtic Cross reading, I had the 3 of Swords show up in the 5 spot and the Ace of Swords in the 10.  To me, this says that while I fear the outcome of this confession is crushing my girlfriend emotionally and ruining the relationship (3 of Swords, betrayal), the truth is that it will prove to be a lesson learned, and that things will greatly improve afterward (Ace of Swords, insight). 

I feel a strong urge to confess, but also a great fear.  Would it be best to see what my daily card is tomorrow, and perhaps do a second reading to make sure?  If anyone has any advice or would like me to post the entire reading, I'd be happy to.  Please, just give any advice, I'm really kind of panicy now!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 19, 2007, 02:19:29 am »

Ok, I went out earlier and bought my first tarot deck, a Waite, and a guide book, and I just finished playing with it.  I did my first reading, one on myself, and the results are kind of bugging me.  Not because I think they are way off, its quite the opposite.  They seem to have hit right head-on, and I'm just afraid that I'll put a serious relationship at risk if I follow them and end up being wrong.

I asked for a bit of guidance with my girlfriend of 1 1/2 years, just because I thought it might be an entertaining first read.  I was suprized at how well the first cards were relating to my situation, and became a bit alarmed as an issue that bothered me in the past.  I've had a bit of an addiction, one which I prefer not to go into here, that continues to rear its ugly head.  It seems to me my reading thinks I should confront this addiction (which my gf doesnt know about) by confessing it to her.  In a Celtic Cross reading, I had the 3 of Swords show up in the 5 spot and the Ace of Swords in the 10.  To me, this says that while I fear the outcome of this confession is crushing my girlfriend emotionally and ruining the relationship (3 of Swords, betrayal), the truth is that it will prove to be a lesson learned, and that things will greatly improve afterward (Ace of Swords, insight). 

I feel a strong urge to confess, but also a great fear.  Would it be best to see what my daily card is tomorrow, and perhaps do a second reading to make sure?  If anyone has any advice or would like me to post the entire reading, I'd be happy to.  Please, just give any advice, I'm really kind of panicy now!

According to numerology and the symbolism of the air/swords, the three of swords SHOULD be expressing creativity and opening communication. But since there are so many decks, that can change.

Thats all I'm going to say on the matter, but perhaps check out aeclectictarot.com and learntarot.com and check out their resources. There is a lot there that could probably help you out. And perhaps others than could help you with your situation better than I could (on here at the TC, especially).

EDIT: Sorry to edit, but I do have to say this: My belief of the tarot is that it kind of takes a snapshot of everything currently at the moment. If you change things, than the picture changes when you take another one. Try not to stress out too much, and take this all in with a level head. Thats what makes personal readings difficult, is that we cannot evaluate things objectively. I wish you all the best with your situation.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 02:21:45 am by Rin, Reason: Just tacked something on quickly at the end. :) » Logged

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: August 19, 2007, 08:33:26 am »

Quite frankly, I'd take anything one's early readings say with a huge dose of salt. Interpreting the Tarot (including the relationship of the cards to their positions and to the cards around them) is complex and takes lots of practice. Reading accurately for yourself takes even more practice. I would not be making any possible life-changing decisions on the basis of such a "learning" reading.

That doesn't mean that you can't think about what the cards tell you (especially if the cards tell you about the same thing over and over again day after day), just that you should consider your early readings more like "advice for a total stranger."  If someone you did not know came up to you and said "if you happen  have any addiction problems you need to reveal them to you girlfriend now" would you automatically consider the advice excellent?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 19, 2007, 01:06:44 pm »

They seem to have hit right head-on, and I'm just afraid that I'll put a serious relationship at risk if I follow them and end up being wrong.
I've had a bit of an addiction, one which I prefer not to go into here, that continues to rear its ugly head.  It seems to me my reading thinks I should confront this addiction (which my gf doesnt know about) by confessing it to her. 
I feel a strong urge to confess, but also a great fear.
I have essentially no experience with tarot, but I feel the need to share my experience about a similar situation. My boyfriend (of 1 1/2 years) also is a recovering addict. Six months clean. Which means that for the first year of our relationship, he was in active addiction. And believe it or not, I knew about it (almost) the whole time.

The one and only reason that we have continued in the amazing relationship that we have is that, at the end of the day, we are brutally honest with each other. A relationship where you have to hide such a big part of your life (for 1 1/2 years at that) is not headed in the best direction it could. I know that he is an addict, and always will be. I also know that this life is mine and mine alone, and if at any point I felt the relationship was not the best thing for me, I would leave.

I don't know your girlfriend, and I don't know your situation. But realize that telling her may not be the end of the world, and the more support you can get in your journey, the better. You say yourself that you want to tell her. Carefully consider it, of course, but if that's what you want to do, then do it.

Hopefully things will keep going, and this will only make your relationship with her stronger. If it makes things fall apart and you lose her... maybe that was the best thing for you as well, and there are better things just around the corner. Have faith in the Universe, and listen to yourself.

Perhaps I'm preaching too much, and I could be totally wrong without a big picture of your situation. If so, I apologize. If you want anything else, feel free to send me a PM. Smiley Best of luck!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 19, 2007, 02:14:56 pm »

According to numerology and the symbolism of the air/swords, the three of swords SHOULD be expressing creativity and opening communication. But since there are so many decks, that can change.

I think it's different from person to person, because you can interpret the same deck differently.  Personally, I think swords are more fire-y than an air symbolism.  I know some people feel the same, and I know some people would beg to differ.  It really depends on your preference or what makes sense to you more.

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #5: August 19, 2007, 06:16:56 pm »

If you don't mind a bunch of strangers picking over what is essentially a private conversation between you and you, feel free to post the reading.  It may well be that cards in other positions will influence the meaning or strength of the two you mentioned.  Please clarify whether the '5-card' is the one falling in present position.  It normally is, but different books do give different laying-out orders.

In the meantime, I second what Randall said.  You should not make a major decision based on you first few readings.  We tend to over-simplify some things, and over-complicate others, when beginning, simply through unfamiliarity with the medium.

So, feel free to post the reading itself, but don't take any of our comments as the 'last word' on the situation.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 19, 2007, 06:41:45 pm »

You should not make a major decision based on you first few readings.  We tend to over-simplify some things, and over-complicate others, when beginning, simply through unfamiliarity with the medium.

I agree. To me, it is more important when you are first starting out with tarot, to get to know the cards. When I was young, my mom let me just sort of play with her cards while she was near, and answer my questions about the pictures. As I got older, she let me read her (ponderous, difficult and old) Regardie book about the cards, and I understood a bit more from that about the elements, the numerology and the astrology of the cards, but mainly I learned what each card means to *me, and how they relate to eachother. Reading the cards is an intuitive art, like all other forms of divination. But I find that tarot, in particular, is great for understanding and revealing ones deeper psychological motivation and drives around a particular issue.  So for a person just starting to get to know the cards, I think it is more important to build a relationship with them, before you start making any decisions based on what they give you.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #7: August 19, 2007, 07:00:22 pm »

This is a perfect example of the variety of responses he'll get if he posts his reading. Cheesy  You and I are roughly the same age, but with very different ideas on reading and interpreting the cards.

You appear to read on a mystical and internally-significant level, while I read on a physical and pragmatic basis.  I read time-and-event, you read numerology and astrology.

You, I, and others who read from yet more perspectives, together may be able to give him deeper understanding of the spread he has thrown. 

Or completely overwhelm him. Cheesy

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
thresher11
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 19, 2007, 07:10:56 pm »

If you don't mind a bunch of strangers picking over what is essentially a private conversation between you and you, feel free to post the reading.

First, thank you all so much for your help in this matter, I really do appreciate your imput.  It has all been very helpful.  I'll try and make the layout as easy to understand as possible.

LOVERS                                                            ACE-SWORDS

KING-PENTACLES
4-SWORDS              STRENGTH                 HIEROPHANT
                     (Opposition) CHARIOT
                                                                                                    7-SWORDS

3-SWORDS                                                         6-SWORDS

I hope that is easy enough to understand.  And just to clarify, if it helps anyone, the addiction isn't strictly a substance sort of thing.  I'm sorry I can't just post it, it's just that I'm rather embarrassed by it.  Thank you all again, SOOO much, for your help!

-Thresher
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 19, 2007, 07:13:41 pm »

This is a perfect example of the variety of responses he'll get if he posts his reading. Cheesy  You and I are roughly the same age, but with very different ideas on reading and interpreting the cards.

You appear to read on a mystical and internally-significant level, while I read on a physical and pragmatic basis.  I read time-and-event, you read numerology and astrology.

You, I, and others who read from yet more perspectives, together may be able to give him deeper understanding of the spread he has thrown. 

Or completely overwhelm him. Cheesy

Absent

heh...that is what makes life interesting, though Wink

In fact, I read cards pragmatically too. I learned a lot about how to read yes no questions and time questions from Mary Greers "Tarot For Yourself" which is an excellent workbook. I just find that predicative divination is, for me, kinda dicey. It is like trying to look downstream around a bend with binoculars at the same time that you are trying to stay balanced in the canoe, kwim? I am often exactly right, but I am sometimes right, but not in the way that I thought I was going to be, if that makes sense. And a lot depends on how ego-invested I am in a particularly outcome, that is always so hard to let go of, when I read for myself.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #10: August 19, 2007, 08:13:58 pm »

First, thank you all so much for your help in this matter, I really do appreciate your imput.  It has all been very helpful.  I'll try and make the layout as easy to understand as possible.

LOVERS                                                            ACE-SWORDS

KING-PENTACLES
4-SWORDS              STRENGTH                 HIEROPHANT
                     (Opposition) CHARIOT
                                                                                                    7-SWORDS

3-SWORDS                                                         6-SWORDS

I hope that is easy enough to understand.  And just to clarify, if it helps anyone, the addiction isn't strictly a substance sort of thing.  I'm sorry I can't just post it, it's just that I'm rather embarrassed by it.  Thank you all again, SOOO much, for your help!

-Thresher

I want to thank you for laying it out like this.  I had to widen my screen to see the 7-10 cards in the right place, instead of wrapped to the left side of the screen, but I've run into that myself.  So, my interpretation, using what you said about your question and motivations and going from there  (and bearing in mind that the best of us can be wrong, or come out with gibberish, and it won't hurt my feelings to be told that my interpretation is less than useful to you)

All of your major arcana cards have to do with choices, and all of your pips are swords, indicating thought and conflict.  The one court card in the spread appears in the position I use as goals/fears, telling me that you have an image of the kind of man you want to be and are trying to 'grow' yourself into it.  The matter of honesty with your girlfriend is an important part of this man, since honesty is one of the King of Pentacle's major characteristics.  Having it show up in this position indicates that you want to be this man but are afraid of what it might cost you to become him.

Your base pair are both major, and since you've written (opposition) beside the Chariot I am taking that to be the crossing card.  To have both base cards be major tells me that your desire to 'confess' may be coming in response to outside factors.  Strenth indicates that you are dealing with your addiction well, but with the Chariot crossing you it may be that you feel that talking about it with her may take it out of your control, 'give over' some of the responsibility to her, as it were. 

I read the III Swords as a foundation of the present situation.  Disappointment and emotional pain has resulted in the past from sharing your problems with people who are important to you.  This has lead to a position of 'non-involvement' in the present, where you don't try to bring anyone in on your private battles.  If you continue in this it will inevitably lead to a choice in future (The Lovers).  The relationship has gone on for a year and a half without the subject being brought up.  It may be getting to the point where revealing a major part of yourself that she doesn't know about will feel like a betrayal to her, or cast doubt on the sincerity of your past.  Which means that you will either have to continue dealing with this and hiding it or risk losing her.  This is a choice that can be changed, theoretically, but the longer you put it off the harder it will be to 'fess up'.

From this so far, I do think that you will have to 'confess' soon, although not this exact moment.  Your further future card, I think, gives you a path to that revelation.  The Heirophant is a traditional source of authority and advice.  Whoever he/she is, it is someone you are comfortable with and can go to for advice for how to approach the subject with your girlfriend.  It may be your girlfriend herself, if you can approach the subject with her first by asking her advice on it in general and working up to the rest.

The 'sidebar' of this spread has different position meanings according to who is doing the reading, but I will give you my interpretations by my system.  If they don't match yours feel free to reject or re-interpret them.

Card 7 - negative influence - VI Swords - a warning to face this.  Running away, substituting another issue, concentrating on the good things you have found with her as an excuse to avoid this issue will harm your relationship in the long run, leading to that choice I mentioned earlier.

Card 8 - what others' see - VII Swords - others who are aware of the situation see a change in you.  Large enough to be considered a change in your direction.  Whether they are seeing what is really there, or just recognizing a change that has been happening for a while, it remains that they are seeing it now.  Chances are she is too.

Card 9 - goals/fears - K Pentacles - I've explained what I see in this above.

Card 10 - conclusion - A Swords -  This is a challenge you have to face.  If it brings conflict into your life you are in a good position to 'win'.  You are able to handle the challenge, which is why it is presenting itself to you.  Aces can be new beginnings and new understandings.  If this relationship is important to you and you want it to last, it is time to meet the challenge.

Bear in mind that I am not in your life or your situation, and that my interpretation is heavily influenced by what you have said about the situation.  I don't know whether this is a long-term relationship, considering your youth, or whether it is an 'end of childhood' deal.  In either case, I would recommend for honesty if and when you are presented with a 'good' opportunity for it, not forced or sudden.

Out of curiosity, were you thinking of this situation when you shuffled, or was it more of a 'wisdom of the cards' situation, where you simply ask 'what is important in my life right now?'

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
thresher11
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 19, 2007, 08:40:50 pm »

Out of curiosity, were you thinking of this situation when you shuffled, or was it more of a 'wisdom of the cards' situation, where you simply ask 'what is important in my life right now?'

Actually, that's kind of odd. She had called me earlier in the day and asked if I had wanted to admit to anything.  Thinking it was this, I kind of freaked a little, but played it cool.  In truth, she was just commenting on a picture I had taken on her phone that she had never seen and her older sister came across.  He he he...
But the truth is, I had no conscious desire for this to come up when I asked my question.  The event had left my mind, and I simply asked for advice on how I could improve the relationship in general.  Everything hit shockingly close to home based upon my newbie reading, and with a few exceptions, you kind of echoed that. 

I'm definantly not willing to jump right up and confess this to her, regardless of the cards.  I have enough to worry about tonight, I'm coming out of the broom closet and letting her know I've been learning some things outside my normal realm.  I'm confident she will be ok with this, her mom is a tarot diviner and so she has been seeking answers to questions about me in the same manner.  She also has a Wiccan aunt.  I'm pretty sure this wasn't the issue at hand the cards are relating to.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 20, 2007, 12:49:42 am »

I think it's different from person to person, because you can interpret the same deck differently.  Personally, I think swords are more fire-y than an air symbolism.  I know some people feel the same, and I know some people would beg to differ.  It really depends on your preference or what makes sense to you more.

Exactly; it also changes from perspective to perspective. I just singled out the three of swords because I saw some people talking about the numerology/symbology of the deck on AeclecticTarot earlier.

I'm hopelessly stuck with swords being air. I suppose it might be the 'double-edge' of a mind; it can be creative or destructive, hindering or helping. It takes a strong person to master the mind (sword) and is unpredictable in unstable hands.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #13: August 20, 2007, 06:00:44 am »

Everything hit shockingly close to home based upon my newbie reading, and with a few exceptions, you kind of echoed that.

Good luck with however you end up dealing with the situation.  Remember that no matter what advice you recieve, either from the cards or from people, it's always your decision in the end.

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 20, 2007, 03:13:51 pm »

I'm hopelessly stuck with swords being air. I suppose it might be the 'double-edge' of a mind; it can be creative or destructive, hindering or helping. It takes a strong person to master the mind (sword) and is unpredictable in unstable hands.

To me, that more describes fire than air. 
Fire types are usually more creative and generally tend to be artistic, passionate and destructive.
Fire also happens to represent lust, transformation, desire, intense focus, outburts.
Air is more ideas, inspiration, intellect.
Of course, this is all my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 03:21:14 pm by Underwater Thing » Logged

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)