The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2019, 05:24:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2019, 05:24:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Reversed tarot cards  (Read 14391 times)
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member
Last Login:March 11, 2008, 07:07:34 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Brighideach Druid (OBOD) and a little bit of witchery thrown in.

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 20, 2007, 03:04:00 pm »

...  Ok, I was going to ask how you go about allowing reversed cards in, as I am particularly fussy about ensuring things are the right way up, generally, but suddenly feel I should allow my cards to reverse, should they so wish.

My original question was how do you go about introducing the possibility of reversed cards?  Would you deliberately reverse say half of them?  Would you twist the odd card during shuffling?  Etc.  However, on shuffling the cards earlier this popped in to my head and one of the cards literally jumped out of my hands and slid across the table lol!  That, combined with the fact that I feel ready to read reversed cards, let me accept it, and it did make me giggle somewhat too!

I glimpsed at the card on replacing it and it was reversed in the pack.  I don't know which card it was though (I'm good at that, I can look at the answers to crosswords and sudoku without seeing anything I shouldn't do!) and since then I've quickly gone through the pack and there are at least 4 or 5 that are the wrong way up in the pack now (not sure how there are that many, only one jumped and I was, until today, very careful).

I'm just wondering whether or not anyone else ended up doing reversed cards like this, or whether you took deliberate steps to accept reversed cards?

I hope this question makes sense, my brain is feeling a little frazzled today!  I have a couple of questions on tarot, so will ask them seperately.

Neme.

Mae'r cariad at fy ngwlad yn berwi yn fy ngwaed.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 20, 2007, 03:17:41 pm »

For me, the big question is whether or not I can tell if cards are reversed by the back of the deck.  If I can tell, I can't let cards reverse.  It drives my anal retentive side crazy.

If I CAN'T tell from the back of the deck, I just shuffle the cards like I would a deck of playing cards.  And sometimes I cut them and reverse them.  It's basically until it *feels right*.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 20, 2007, 03:22:50 pm »

For me, the big question is whether or not I can tell if cards are reversed by the back of the deck.  If I can tell, I can't let cards reverse.  It drives my anal retentive side crazy.

Oh, you don't even know how much I connect with that comment!

If I CAN'T tell from the back of the deck, I just shuffle the cards like I would a deck of playing cards.  And sometimes I cut them and reverse them.  It's basically until it *feels right*.

I never thought of that, the cutting and turning.  My anal retentive side is so strong that I think it would take great will power to actually physically do that...  I need to let go of the control freakery in my head!  Guess what my first card (where I am now) told me...  Ouchie... Wink

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 20, 2007, 03:24:47 pm »

Oh, you don't even know how much I connect with that comment!

I never thought of that, the cutting and turning.  My anal retentive side is so strong that I think it would take great will power to actually physically do that...  I need to let go of the control freakery in my head!  Guess what my first card (where I am now) told me...  Ouchie... Wink

Something else I've discovered?  Just dropping the deck.  Then picking up the cards ONLY to put them face side down.

Then never put them order again. Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 20, 2007, 03:28:10 pm »

Something else I've discovered?  Just dropping the deck.  Then picking up the cards ONLY to put them face side down.

Then never put them order again. Smiley

I did think of that, but I'm really not sure I can deal with it, seriously...  I'm not sure if I could live with knowing I personally "messed up" something that can be easily ordered!!! Roll Eyes

Meritsekhmet
Journeyman
Last Login:January 18, 2011, 04:47:40 am

Religion: Eclectic Kemetic with Native American shamanic leanings
TCN ID: merisekhmet

Anpu made me do it.

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 20, 2007, 03:45:44 pm »

I'm just wondering whether or not anyone else ended up doing reversed cards like this, or whether you took deliberate steps to accept reversed cards?

I have deliberately made my cards have some reversed, though I never know how many of them are at one time.  I just feel like my cards want that option, and reversed cards have a different meaning than right side up ones.  So in essence you are multiplying your possibilities of what your deck can tell you.  I usually just cut the deck and twist one hand around to make it reverse when I shuffle, and that seems to mix it up just enough. Smiley

Dork of Massive Proportions
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 20, 2007, 04:04:25 pm »

I go way far out of my way to make sure that my cards do NOT reverse when I shuffle.  My obsessive-compulsive traits prevent me from being able to do this comfortably.  They all MUST be right-side up in the deck at all times, and I will go through my deck to make sure they all are before I put them away.  I also shuffle very carefully so they dont get reversed.

That being said, since I take such great care to ensure my cards are right-side up, when a card does appear in the spread as reversed, I read it as reversed with the utmost importance.

But I just cant have reversed cards in my deck.  Nope, cant do it.  *shudder*

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:April 10, 2019, 03:38:06 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: August 20, 2007, 04:11:43 pm »

My original question was how do you go about introducing the possibility of reversed cards?  Would you deliberately reverse say half of them?  Would you twist the odd card during shuffling?

I have a semi-ritual way of shuffling my tarot deck (the one I read with most regularly is explicitly designed for reading reverals in).

I do the standard riffle-shuffle thing nine times, each time taking the half of the deck that's in my right hand and flipping it so it's oriented inverted from where it was originally.  (Eight shuffles is required to randomise 78 cards, plus one to be sure; conveniently, now that I think of it, nine is also numerologically appropriate in Egypt-think.)  I continue to work the cards while considering the question I'm consulting on, but this doesn't introduce or change inversions; I pick up most of the deck and drop small pieces of it back and forth on either side of the piece left in my other hand a couple of times.

nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 20, 2007, 04:27:39 pm »

I have deliberately made my cards have some reversed, though I never know how many of them are at one time.  I just feel like my cards want that option, and reversed cards have a different meaning than right side up ones.  So in essence you are multiplying your possibilities of what your deck can tell you.  I usually just cut the deck and twist one hand around to make it reverse when I shuffle, and that seems to mix it up just enough. Smiley

That's what I was thinking, that reversals give you greater scope, and I now feel ready to learn that on top of the basics.  I may just go with the cut and twist thing (with a twist, see below)...

I go way far out of my way to make sure that my cards do NOT reverse when I shuffle.  My obsessive-compulsive traits prevent me from being able to do this comfortably.  They all MUST be right-side up in the deck at all times, and I will go through my deck to make sure they all are before I put them away.  I also shuffle very carefully so they dont get reversed.

That being said, since I take such great care to ensure my cards are right-side up, when a card does appear in the spread as reversed, I read it as reversed with the utmost importance.

But I just cant have reversed cards in my deck.  Nope, cant do it.  *shudder*

Oh my, I know where you are coming from.  I have to check the bottom card before replacing in the box, so I know which way up they're facing, in order that I pick them up the "right way"...  I have a personal battle going on right now...  Part of me thinking 'yes, I can take on the extra responsibility', the other part saying 'no!!!  Don't do it!  Do you know how messy that will look?!'

I have a semi-ritual way of shuffling my tarot deck (the one I read with most regularly is explicitly designed for reading reverals in).

I do the standard riffle-shuffle thing nine times, each time taking the half of the deck that's in my right hand and flipping it so it's oriented inverted from where it was originally.  (Eight shuffles is required to randomise 78 cards, plus one to be sure; conveniently, now that I think of it, nine is also numerologically appropriate in Egypt-think.)  I continue to work the cards while considering the question I'm consulting on, but this doesn't introduce or change inversions; I pick up most of the deck and drop small pieces of it back and forth on either side of the piece left in my other hand a couple of times.

This almost goes with the obsessive compulsive behaviour I (and others Wink) mention above...  But numbers do feel so good sometimes.  I like this method of dropping them back and forth, a bit of a step along from the aforementioned cut and twist.  This actually feels like something my (pre-mentioned) anal retentiveness could maybe just about cope with!  I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with twisting during the actual shuffle, but then I'm not sure if that's due to my being retentive or because I'm just not that great at shuffling, and any complication might mean I mess it up!

Thank you all so much for your insight Smiley

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 20, 2007, 05:24:13 pm »

When I did  my first tarot reading, ALL the cards were reversed. Then I realized I was holding the deck upside down. Silly me.

I don't tend to get many reversed cards because I, like Heartshadow, am anal retentive about my cards!! I never thought of cutting them and turning them though.

nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 20, 2007, 05:43:43 pm »

When I did  my first tarot reading, ALL the cards were reversed. Then I realized I was holding the deck upside down. Silly me.

I don't tend to get many reversed cards because I, like Heartshadow, am anal retentive about my cards!! I never thought of cutting them and turning them though.

Lol, that made me smile, big time!

I am so glad I'm not the only retentive one in the world...  Cutting and turning (and therefore being deliberate about it) seems like a fairly good idea to me...

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: August 20, 2007, 06:06:48 pm »

...  Ok, I was going to ask how you go about allowing reversed cards in, as I am particularly fussy about ensuring things are the right way up, generally, but suddenly feel I should allow my cards to reverse, should they so wish.

I feel very conflicted about reading reversed cards.  (I'd LOVE to hear Marilyn's take on this.  Oh, Marilyn...?)

I shuffle with the standard "riffle" technique, so the cards get all mixed up no matter what.  So, when I deal them there are always some reversed cards.  (I guess I'm just not as anal retentive as *some* people...  Wink )

On the one hand, yes, if they're reversed when I deal them, and there is an interpretation for the reversal, I *guess* it makes sense to read it that way...

On the other hand, I feel like, with 78 cards to choose from, the deck *could* have just given me a different, more appropriate card.  Does that make any sense?

So, I lean toward NOT reading the reversals -- just reading the cards regardless of how they're dealt.

This was especially apparent last night.  I was doing a reading for my husband.   Many of the cards were reversed.  When I read it with the reversals, it flat out made no sense.  When I read it as if none of the cards were reversed, everything made perfect sense.

So, I'm conflicted.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #12: August 20, 2007, 06:29:46 pm »

I feel very conflicted about reading reversed cards.  (I'd LOVE to hear Marilyn's take on this.  Oh, Marilyn...?)

Actually, my next article deals with the different ways of dealing with reversed cards (you should be getting it for editing in a couple days, by the end of the week at latest), but I hadn't really given any thought to how they get that way in the first place. 

I tend to get a lot of 'leapers' when I start with a new deck.  If I'm just shuffling them to seed them I put them back in without checking to see which way they go.  If I'm doing a reading and they leap I take note of the meaning as applied to the question then, again, just shuffle them back in.  If a 'clump' falls, I pick it up any old way and shuffle it back in.  (see a pattern?)

I do read reversals - it's one of the reasons I say a standard deck has 78-squared separate meanings and concepts.  I find that once I've been using a deck for a while it becomes naturally mixed, and I encourage my clients to shuffle as vigorously as they want, with whatever method they choose.  I always place it in front of them 'sideways', rather than upright, in order not to influence how they pick it up.

The only deck I keep upright and in order is my teaching and reference deck, just because I'm lazy and want to find the card I'm talking about quickly.

If my article isn't too long when I'm done it, I think I will include a short bit about 'causing' reversals in a new deck.  I hadn't thought about it before - when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was about reading them.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 20, 2007, 06:30:40 pm »

This was especially apparent last night.  I was doing a reading for my husband.   Many of the cards were reversed.  When I read it with the reversals, it flat out made no sense.  When I read it as if none of the cards were reversed, everything made perfect sense.

So, I'm conflicted.

Well, just confuse a newbie, lol!!!  But I can see that if you don't have a feeling for reversals then they really aren't going to do anything for you, no matter how many there are!

On the other hand, I feel like, with 78 cards to choose from, the deck *could* have just given me a different, more appropriate card.  Does that make any sense?

Absolutely, totally...  There are enough options!

I shuffle with the standard "riffle" technique, so the cards get all mixed up no matter what.  So, when I deal them there are always some reversed cards.  (I guess I'm just not as anal retentive as *some* people...  Wink )

I don't know what riffle is, but it's showing enough times to make me happy to ask Wink  You saying I'm retentive???  Mwahahaha!  Oh, I so am, I just wish I wasn't...

Is she good?  I've not been here long, but I do like Marilyns posts.  I'm guessing you have differing opinions but are pleasantly debating on most subjects lol, just from what you've said there...

nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 20, 2007, 06:36:47 pm »

Actually, my next article deals with the different ways of dealing with reversed cards (you should be getting it for editing in a couple days, by the end of the week at latest), but I hadn't really given any thought to how they get that way in the first place. 

I tend to get a lot of 'leapers' when I start with a new deck.  If I'm just shuffling them to seed them I put them back in without checking to see which way they go.  If I'm doing a reading and they leap I take note of the meaning as applied to the question then, again, just shuffle them back in.  If a 'clump' falls, I pick it up any old way and shuffle it back in.  (see a pattern?)

I do read reversals - it's one of the reasons I say a standard deck has 78-squared separate meanings and concepts.  I find that once I've been using a deck for a while it becomes naturally mixed, and I encourage my clients to shuffle as vigorously as they want, with whatever method they choose.  I always place it in front of them 'sideways', rather than upright, in order not to influence how they pick it up.

The only deck I keep upright and in order is my teaching and reference deck, just because I'm lazy and want to find the card I'm talking about quickly.

If my article isn't too long when I'm done it, I think I will include a short bit about 'causing' reversals in a new deck.  I hadn't thought about it before - when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was about reading them.

Absent

Speak of the devil, as they say... Grin

I'm looking forward to reading your article!  (note to self, be clear in the question!) 

Ok, so from your post I'm thinking the one that slid over the table was a good thing, confirming that I'm ready to learn deeper, particularly as it happened as I was pondering.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had a "leaper", it kind of freaked me out, despite making me giggle at the same time.

Can you post a link to your article either here or in a pm to me?  If that's not being presumptuously arrogant!

Thanks Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)