The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 07, 2021, 03:53:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 07, 2021, 03:53:55 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The need to heal  (Read 5488 times)
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member
Last Login:March 11, 2008, 07:07:34 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Brighideach Druid (OBOD) and a little bit of witchery thrown in.

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 20, 2007, 05:40:48 pm »

Does anybody connect with this feeling?

Please feel free to move this post if it's not in the right place, I really didn't know quite where it should go!

I feel a need, I mean a deep, solid need, to heal, to help people.  When someone I love hurts I want to put my hands on them and take away the pain.  The only thing that stops me (with older people) is their scepticism.  When my son feels ill I place my hands on his head/tummy/wherever and take it away.  He just thinks of it as Mummy making it better Smiley  Which is the way it should be!

My way of healing myself is to breathe in clear, sparkly light which goes directly to my pain area, in return the pain leaves my body as black smoke.  By continuing this visualisation I eventually end up breathing out the same air I'm breathing in, which means it's healed.  I can rid myself of a headache literally within 20/30 seconds or so now!  On someone else I just transfer the energies, in me, in them, from them, through me.

My ex partner was open to this idea of healing and I would help his headaches and IBS on a regular basis.  My current partner is open to "subtle" suggestion Wink so I will tell him how to help himself, then possibly lay next to him with my hand somewhere near the problem, and start to visualise.

I used to be a health care assistant, but gave it up due to a very difficult and personal tragedy, and returning too soon to work.  Since then I've had a mental block about returning, until recently.  I now feel able, and have applied to do temporary health care work, until I (hopefully) get accepted to do the other job (which also involves helping people) that I have chosen as a career path.

I really want to do reiki, but I can't afford any courses just yet, nor do I know where there are any round here yet!

I guess what I'm asking is firstly, how do you cope with the feeling of needing to do something you can't directly sort out, and secondly how can I do things to help others, when I know you mustn't get involved without permission etc.  Do I have to learn how to take a step back and accept that some people won't want help? 

Ack, waffling again, I've had a couple of glasses of wine lol!

Mae'r cariad at fy ngwlad yn berwi yn fy ngwaed.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 20, 2007, 07:48:32 pm »

Please feel free to move this post if it's not in the right place,

Thank you, I knew wherever I put it would be wrong Wink

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm
United States United States

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 20, 2007, 08:10:00 pm »

I also feel this need, but I don't use it too often. I only do it "in depth" if the person is open minded. One time I tried to help someone who was *obviously* hurting (I'm a very strong empath) and I reached out and took his hand...or tried to. A basic human interaction, but the poor guy thought I was coming on to him!!! Shocked It freaked him out, and when he told me about it, it REALLY freaked me out!!

nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 20, 2007, 08:46:47 pm »

I also feel this need, but I don't use it too often. I only do it "in depth" if the person is open minded. One time I tried to help someone who was *obviously* hurting (I'm a very strong empath) and I reached out and took his hand...or tried to. A basic human interaction, but the poor guy thought I was coming on to him!!! Shocked It freaked him out, and when he told me about it, it REALLY freaked me out!!

I kind of hope I'm not a too strong empath...  I don't want it...  But if I've been given it then I guess I have to take it and learn to live with it.

That would be really freaky if someone thought I was coming on to them lol!

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 20, 2007, 10:16:42 pm »

I guess what I'm asking is firstly, how do you cope with the feeling of needing to do something you can't directly sort out, and secondly how can I do things to help others, when I know you mustn't get involved without permission etc.  Do I have to learn how to take a step back and accept that some people won't want help? 

Ack, waffling again, I've had a couple of glasses of wine lol!

I suppose my wanting to help people heal is more of a psychological one.. I think. Its hard to explain. I have many friends (almost all of them made online) who are increasingly alone and suffer really bad hardships. I live in a cushy suburban household with enough money to keep my family happy for a very long time, as well as my own (if I ever have my own). This makes me feel guilty alot, but another thing is my desire to be there with them, to tell them not to give up. Alot of what they need sometime is just someone there to listen to them; to be able to talk about their problems without judging or interruptions.

I suppose one thing that helps is that I seem to have a problem with recognizing WHEN and WHY I feel bad, probably after talking to some of these people. It really effects me a lot, although when I get depressed I don't necessarily connect it to these events. It isn't until lately that I've noticed its happened. One of my friends broke up with one of my other friends (and coincidentally, my ex) in a very horrible way. She herself is depressed and is pretty much destroying much of her life. After reading her blogs or just talking to her, I feel like absolute crap and I'll often just start crying and start thinking about the worst things I possibly could. I've pretty much avoided talking to her or reading what she types, because even if its "happy", I still get very sad. She's already blocked me from most of her posts on another website, so I know she's hiding something (I wasn't born yesterday). A close friend of mine was able to help me deal with that: we can be there for her, but she's wanting to hit the bottom on her own and we have to let her. A very tough lesson to swallow.

.. Sorry, I didn't think I would ramble that much.  Lips sealed Anyways, I hope your situation works out well.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 22, 2007, 08:12:17 am »

I suppose my wanting to help people heal is more of a psychological one.. I think. Its hard to explain. I have many friends (almost all of them made online) who are increasingly alone and suffer really bad hardships. I live in a cushy suburban household with enough money to keep my family happy for a very long time, as well as my own (if I ever have my own). This makes me feel guilty alot, but another thing is my desire to be there with them, to tell them not to give up. Alot of what they need sometime is just someone there to listen to them; to be able to talk about their problems without judging or interruptions.

I suppose one thing that helps is that I seem to have a problem with recognizing WHEN and WHY I feel bad, probably after talking to some of these people. It really effects me a lot, although when I get depressed I don't necessarily connect it to these events. It isn't until lately that I've noticed its happened. One of my friends broke up with one of my other friends (and coincidentally, my ex) in a very horrible way. She herself is depressed and is pretty much destroying much of her life. After reading her blogs or just talking to her, I feel like absolute crap and I'll often just start crying and start thinking about the worst things I possibly could. I've pretty much avoided talking to her or reading what she types, because even if its "happy", I still get very sad. She's already blocked me from most of her posts on another website, so I know she's hiding something (I wasn't born yesterday). A close friend of mine was able to help me deal with that: we can be there for her, but she's wanting to hit the bottom on her own and we have to let her. A very tough lesson to swallow.

That must be a really difficult situation to be in, especially when, as you say, you weren't born yesterday...  Your other friend is probably very right, this friend needs to hit rock bottom on her own before accepting that she either needs the help or even wants it.

I can totally understand how you would stop reading her blogs and talking to her, been there, done that.  Sometimes you do just need to disconnect from a situation before it starts to severely affect you too.  It's just often really difficult to do that!

.. Sorry, I didn't think I would ramble that much.  Lips sealed Anyways, I hope your situation works out well.

That's ok, you should see me when I'm on a roll... Wink

Enchanted Spirit
Journeyman
Last Login:March 26, 2008, 11:16:10 am

Religion: Pagan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 22, 2007, 02:14:57 pm »

I feel a need, I mean a deep, solid need, to heal, to help people.  When someone I love hurts I want to put my hands on them and take away the pain.  The only thing that stops me (with older people) is their scepticism.  When my son feels ill I place my hands on his head/tummy/wherever and take it away.  He just thinks of it as Mummy making it better Smiley  Which is the way it should be!

I really want to do reiki,

I hope you get the chance to be attuned to Reiki.  It's really wonderful. 
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #7: August 22, 2007, 02:51:22 pm »

I shy away from calling myself a healer, tho' fact is, I work in healing ways mostly for animals.
With people I'm a bit reluctant. Sometimes it just does not feel right to get involved.
Sometimes it does.

You don't really need to be attuned in Reiki, what you do is quite the same.
I did it, before I was attuned to Usui 1 and 2, but I didn't trust myself enough to rely on it.

Can't you look around if you could find something like zen-reiki in Germany?
They attune for free. (But distant attunings mostly.)
They have the codex: Reiki is a divine present that should be available to everybody, selling it is not fair.

To be honest, I want my third degree Usui and teacher degree where I got the other two - don't know when I can afford this. But I got attuned from zen-reiki in Kundalini Reiki 1-3. Talking about it, I could attune you to Kundalini Reiki if you wish. Think about it, I can send you Information if you like - but I have to translate them first. PM me.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 22, 2007, 03:24:25 pm »

I hope you get the chance to be attuned to Reiki.  It's really wonderful. 

It does sound it, although it's probably quite a responsibility too! Smiley

nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 22, 2007, 03:31:02 pm »

I shy away from calling myself a healer, tho' fact is, I work in healing ways mostly for animals.
With people I'm a bit reluctant. Sometimes it just does not feel right to get involved.
Sometimes it does.

You don't really need to be attuned in Reiki, what you do is quite the same.
I did it, before I was attuned to Usui 1 and 2, but I didn't trust myself enough to rely on it.

Can't you look around if you could find something like zen-reiki in Germany?
They attune for free. (But distant attunings mostly.)
They have the codex: Reiki is a divine present that should be available to everybody, selling it is not fair.

To be honest, I want my third degree Usui and teacher degree where I got the other two - don't know when I can afford this. But I got attuned from zen-reiki in Kundalini Reiki 1-3. Talking about it, I could attune you to Kundalini Reiki if you wish. Think about it, I can send you Information if you like - but I have to translate them first. PM me.

Thank you, I will PM you for a chat.

I agree that it should be freely available, but then I can also understand that if this is all you do for "work", by devoting your time to healing and teaching, that you still need to make a living to be able to eat and to keep a roof over your head!  I guess "donations" isn't the greatest way either (and it can make people unsure exactly how much to donate too.  It doesn't seem like there's any best way!

I don't really understand the different sorts of Reiki, in fact it was only a few weeks ago I found out about Usui for example, and suddenly realised there may be other sorts!

Thank you so much again for your offer, even just some advice would be great Smiley

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 22, 2007, 06:36:13 pm »

That must be a really difficult situation to be in, especially when, as you say, you weren't born yesterday...  Your other friend is probably very right, this friend needs to hit rock bottom on her own before accepting that she either needs the help or even wants it.

I can totally understand how you would stop reading her blogs and talking to her, been there, done that.  Sometimes you do just need to disconnect from a situation before it starts to severely affect you too.  It's just often really difficult to do that!

That's ok, you should see me when I'm on a roll... Wink

I know.. for the most part I have ignored reading her blogs now. I'm actually keeping myself quite busy. I'm either sleeping, playing my Howrse game, being on here, or other numerous sites, or going OUTSIDE. Gods its bright out there.  Cheesy

I mostly just want to grab her by the shoulders and scream at her and tell her to snap out of it! I've gone through what she's gone through, but she just goes on and on like its only here that can experience this pain, and that no one should help her. Yet she goes out and does THIS crap.

Mmprh. *facepalm*

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 22, 2007, 07:49:57 pm »

I really want to do reiki, but I can't afford any courses just yet, nor do I know where there are any round here yet!

I can't get into the rest of your post because there's to much /stuff/ for me to climb through to answer it clearly... so, I'm just going to toss out an idea here concerning Reiki.

The way I learned it, when Usui first began teaching Reiki he gave the training/attunements away for free.  A year later he came back through a village where he had trained some homeless people in Reiki to give them a means of making a living.  He found no change in their state.  It was then that he decided for people to value the skill it was necessary for an equal exchange to take place.  They had to give up something in exchange for the training in order to see it's value.  This was most easily seen as making payment for the teaching hence the idea of paying with money.

I would suggest, aside from Tana's generous offer, that you may want to gather some information on several local teachers and call around to them.  Ask them if they have a sliding scale for people of limited income.  My Reiki instructor did.  My massage instructor also taught that you need to charge enough for your sessions so that on occasion you can give a session away to someone who truly needs it.

It's understood in the healing community that sometimes the person who needs the treatment/training can't always pay the full price and may need to make non-traditional payments such as trade or barter.  Those healers who are dedicated to their craft are often willing to work with someone who is genuine in their desire to learn/heal.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Enchanted Spirit
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 22, 2007, 09:03:29 pm »

My massage instructor also taught that you need to charge enough for your sessions so that on occasion you can give a session away to someone who truly needs it.

My brother-in-law practices Chinese Medicine/Acupuncture and he barters with his customers who cannot afford to pay for his services.  One man is a bee keeper so he pays him in honey. Sometimes it's services like lawnmowing. It just depends on what the person can barter.  Sometimes he just does it for free as well (he did that for a dancer the other day).   Smiley
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 23, 2007, 06:20:25 am »

I can't get into the rest of your post because there's to much /stuff/ for me to climb through to answer it clearly... so, I'm just going to toss out an idea here concerning Reiki.

The way I learned it, when Usui first began teaching Reiki he gave the training/attunements away for free.  A year later he came back through a village where he had trained some homeless people in Reiki to give them a means of making a living.  He found no change in their state.  It was then that he decided for people to value the skill it was necessary for an equal exchange to take place.  They had to give up something in exchange for the training in order to see it's value.  This was most easily seen as making payment for the teaching hence the idea of paying with money.

I would suggest, aside from Tana's generous offer, that you may want to gather some information on several local teachers and call around to them.  Ask them if they have a sliding scale for people of limited income.  My Reiki instructor did.  My massage instructor also taught that you need to charge enough for your sessions so that on occasion you can give a session away to someone who truly needs it.

It's understood in the healing community that sometimes the person who needs the treatment/training can't always pay the full price and may need to make non-traditional payments such as trade or barter.  Those healers who are dedicated to their craft are often willing to work with someone who is genuine in their desire to learn/heal.

Thank you for your suggestion.  I did think perhaps that was the way things would work, but unless someone tells you, you kinda feel pretty mean asking about freebies or trading!  As I said in a previous post, I also understand that for some people it's their only means of a living.

I understand the need for things to have a value too, unfortunately if something is free it is often not appreciated, certainly in the Western world and quite probably/possibly elsewhere too.  I think what your massage teacher said is lovely, because when you give a free session it really will be appreciated.

Thank you again for your help.  I am probably going to my first local moot in a weeks time, so perhaps that would be a good place to start asking around (I know them from online so they're not complete strangers!).

My brother-in-law practices Chinese Medicine/Acupuncture and he barters with his customers who cannot afford to pay for his services.  One man is a bee keeper so he pays him in honey. Sometimes it's services like lawnmowing. It just depends on what the person can barter.  Sometimes he just does it for free as well (he did that for a dancer the other day).   Smiley

Thank you, it really is helpful to know that people with these abilities are willing to train/treat for more unusual (although actually more traditional) methods than plain cash.

Mmm, honey........ *goes to search for honey to have on toast...* Grin

Enchanted Spirit
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 23, 2007, 10:32:57 am »

Mmm, honey........ *goes to search for honey to have on toast...* Grin

LOL!  I was lucky enough to get a jar of the honey he received from the bee keeper. It was very good!!   Grin

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)