The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 15, 2019, 08:25:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 08:25:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: Have you read  dao teh ching (aka tao te ching), or whichever way u prefer to spell it.
What is that?
heard of it, don't care too much though
No, plan to at some point.
Yes I have. (please comment on the book/philosophy below)
Loads of times (please comment on the book/philosophy below)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dao Teh Ching (pagans only)  (Read 5565 times)
Tj
Journeyman
Last Login:May 10, 2009, 01:36:26 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Daoist Shaman (I also associate the various spirits with their khemetic names).

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 09, 2007, 05:33:29 pm »

There are a couple things I really get from Tao that fits neatly within my spirituality as a whole...

1. Tao. That the world is connected by this source that runs through and is everything. That's a comforting thought. It also reminds me that I am not the world. I am *my* world, sure, but there is more to this earth than me! Not to say I am arrogant or something, but we get so wrapped up in our own lives. It's good to just make a return and realize that things will not crash down on us if we don't control them.

2. As a continuation of that, the fact that you cannot control things. The world/Tao is a greater force than myself. I cannot change people, I can only offer them what they will take of me. As someone who is planning to be a high school teacher, a lot of the passages about governing and learning are very applicable. As other's have said, Taoism is not about compliance, it is about accepting things for the way they are, and not spending your entire life fighting the current. If you love something, let it go. Do what you believe you should or want to, but do not give of yourself because you feel you must of you need to. The above really is my philosophy of spellwork as well.

3. Balance. I am so drawn to this concept, and some of you may have noticed my post about my yin-yang tat I'm working on. Smiley Good does not exist without evil to counter it. And without good, evil means absolutely nothing. Etc. Loss is only loss because that is the way you perceive it for yourself. Everything must coexist in balance. Everything in moderation. For every action there is an equal and opposite re-action.

4. Quiet grace and strength. "The empty barrel makes the most noise." Etc. Tongue The bird that chirps the loudest is also getting the least done (unless, I suppose they are attracting a mate or the like. lol.). A river carved the Grand Canyon. Again, as a teacher, this concept is important to me.... you respect the teacher that has that quiet power and whose wrath you fear to come across, not the one that gets flustered and screams and jumps around. hahaha. Expending a lot of energy to get things done is usually not necessary.

I'm sure I could write more... but I think I'll stop at that for now!

Hey you finally chimed in on this topic. I was wondering when you were going to do that :p.
For me it is pretty much the same as what you said except, for one difference. I do not place much emphasis on balance. To me positive and negative are just concepts created by the human mind to simplify things. To me, in reality positive and negative do not exist. So, the concept of "balance" I suppose does not even come in. Well, you CAN say it does in a way, since me believing what I do, automatically means that I will strive to balance "black" and  "white" in a way, since to me they are but the same concept looked at from two different angles.

Look at an some LCD screen for example. Look at it straight on, you will see bright white and colours etc ("positive"). Walk to one side, still looking at the screen. Once you are VERY close to 180 degrees, all you will see is black, since none of the light refected reaches you anymore. (This only works for certain types of monitors and TV's). One good example of one such Monitor is the one they use in the airport security, so you cannot see what is on the screen, since you are at a very steep angle. All you see is black.

See how looking at the same "white screen" from different angles, makes it seem bright or dark. That is my point!!

-Tj

The earth is my home
the universe my temple
and nature: my god.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 09, 2007, 09:16:45 pm »

For me it is pretty much the same as what you said except, for one difference. I do not place much emphasis on balance. To me positive and negative are just concepts created by the human mind to simplify things. To me, in reality positive and negative do not exist. So, the concept of "balance" I suppose does not even come in. Well, you CAN say it does in a way, since me believing what I do, automatically means that I will strive to balance "black" and  "white" in a way, since to me they are but the same concept looked at from two different angles.
The concept of balance does simplify things to a certain extent, but there are also many shades of gray. Things need not be a simple scale with black on one side and white on the other, but perhaps more as a swiveling globe of sorts... if you want to imagine it visually I suppose. And where there are two sides of a coin there is also space in the middle.

And as I put more emphasis on balance, there must be people like you to challenge my opinion to make it worth anything! lol. Tongue

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 09, 2007, 11:13:32 pm »

I do not place much emphasis on balance. To me positive and negative are just concepts created by the human mind to simplify things. To me, in reality positive and negative do not exist.

Change "positive and negative" to "creation and destruction."

Look through that, and then tell me what you see.

WH

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Tj
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Religion: Daoist Shaman (I also associate the various spirits with their khemetic names).

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 10, 2007, 12:03:01 am »

Change "positive and negative" to "creation and destruction."

Look through that, and then tell me what you see.

WH

You CLEARLY have not read through the poem I posted on this board...so here it is:

birth creates beauty,
youth compels vitality,
age produces wisdom,
and death brings life.

"death" is conceptually similar or the same as destruction of course. And bringing life is creation.
Like my msn nick said a while back "I don't die...I just get recycled every once in a while."

To illustrate, have a ever ignored a plant/forgot to water it. And suddenly found it is more or less dead. It happened to me recently since the lawn had been put, while we were away. It was dead. I came home, my mother freaked out...I was of course sad. But do you know what happened when I watered it. 3 days later, the grass looked as if it had never died.

I live a place where winter means couple of inches of snow all over, and everything basically dies. But is that really death, do those plants and their spirit really cease to exist? Come spring, I notice a plant exactly where there was one before the snow. It probably is its successor, and not the same plant, in some way. But nevertheless I feel the same spirit.

In short, to me death is not BAD. Nor is birth GOOD. A criminal is not BAD, nor is a Hero GOOD. I realise this is a VERY odd thing to say, my logic is: death is necessary, it is a part of the Dao, it is natural. How can something like that be "Bad". *

I am sorry if that did not really come out right...it is hard to explain it from my point of veiw, plus I do not seem to be as good as say Master Chuang. I hope that makes SOME sense though.

-Tj

P.S: *: The definition of Bad i am using here is essentially, something unwanted by all, or something that is undesirable in some manner. Death is seen as "Bad" since it is generally an "Unwanted" occurance, no one is really happy about it. Or is that really true?

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 07:59:21 am by Tj, Reason: minor typo » Logged

The earth is my home
the universe my temple
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 10, 2007, 06:55:23 am »

You CLEARLY have not read through the poem I posted on this board...so here it is:

Actually, I did read that.

Now, back to the point at hand.  Two syllables, starts with the letter "b."

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Tj
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: September 10, 2007, 07:42:39 am »

Actually, I did read that.

Now, back to the point at hand.  Two syllables, starts with the letter "b."

OK, it does seem a little weird with creation and destruction. But I said "positive and negative" not creation and destruction. My point here is (which should be a little clearer from my previous post), that in my mind there is NO correlation between the two. To me telling me to substitute creation and destruction makes about as much sense as asking a christian talking about Jesus, to substitute "Jesus" with the word "Grass", or something similarly unrelated. I apologise for the length of that post, and for being so vague about it, though.

-Tj

P.S: hmmm, two syllables, starts with B....I know; BARBIE!!?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 07:56:33 am by Tj » Logged

The earth is my home
the universe my temple
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: September 10, 2007, 12:46:07 pm »

P.S: hmmm, two syllables, starts with B....I know; BARBIE!!?

Cheesy

Thank you.  Now I understand.

Tj
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: September 10, 2007, 01:30:45 pm »

Cheesy

Thank you.  Now I understand.

Yay!!! good to know. So what was that word? (the two syllables starting with b, its going to bug me unless you tell me).

-Tj

The earth is my home
the universe my temple
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: September 10, 2007, 11:25:31 pm »

Yay!!! good to know. So what was that word? (the two syllables starting with b, its going to bug me unless you tell me).

-Tj

BUGGER!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)