The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 14, 2019, 03:58:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2019, 03:58:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Lithomancy?  (Read 11401 times)
j9
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 17, 2007, 01:43:01 am
South Africa South Africa

Religion: Neo-Pagan/Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 21, 2007, 03:57:37 am »

Hi all!

I very recently stumbled apon a form of divination that I had not known about before.  Lithomancy, the art divination using stones.  I actually first heard about it this weekend from me new favorite book Witchcraft for Tomorrow.

Now I am gonna come right out and say it.  I think I suck at divination.  I guess you could say I just don't 'get' it.  My mother on the other hand is pretty darn good, which rather telling of how different people can go in different directions because we both started our study of paganism/wicca at the same time.  She took to the divination side straight away, where as I was more attracted to the spells and magickal workings part.

But going back to divination, I have tried runes and find I am far more attracted to their magickal qualities then divination meanings.  I have a set of tarot cards that is very special to me simply because it was a 21sy birthday present from my late father.  It is a Feary Wicca Tarot deck that I fell in love with when I first saw it, but sadly I find then very hard to actually work with and to be honest I just don't think tarot is my thing either.  But this weekend when I read about lithomancy I felt my self drawn to the idea, whether it is because that is the form of divination best for me or just because I would like something to work for me I don't know.  But I figured I'd give it a try.

Sadly though I have no real information on it and the few searches I have come up with haven't given much detail on how to use it.  I understand the main concept, different stones relate to different astrological plants and also different aspects of live, love, luck, news, magick, ummm, I forget the others... and you would predict depending oh how the stones would fall.  I hope I am understanding it right.

Sooo, sorry my rambling, what I would like to know basically is if anyone has any kind of information or resources on this type of divination? have any of you used it personally and how has it worked out for you? Are there any books devoted to the subject that I might be able to get a hold of? 

Any replies would be greatly welcome, thank you.

*hugs*

j9

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 21, 2007, 11:39:06 am »

Sooo, sorry my rambling, what I would like to know basically is if anyone has any kind of information or resources on this type of divination? have any of you used it personally and how has it worked out for you? Are there any books devoted to the subject that I might be able to get a hold of? 

*hugs*

j9

Hi there
There is a section in Scott Cunningham's book, Crystal Stone and Metal Magic  that details how to make a stone tarot, and other ways to use stones for divination. I don't do anything that structured with them, for divination, but I have often asked the stones I am working with what they think or if they have any advice for me, and I have never been steered wrong by them yet. There have been several instances where a rock that I have picked up as I am walking has had something to say to me, and I have been very glad for the help, every time. They are straight shooters, rocks are  Smiley I guess speaking with them is a particular type of divinatory gift, and it sounds like it is the one that calls you. How cool!

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 21, 2007, 01:41:26 pm »

*hugs*

j9

I have a book that matches your description. I frankly dont know how good the book is, as I have it but never have managed to amass the collection of stones in order to try it as of yet.  Maybe others can tell you if the book is worth buying or not.

It is Crystal Decoder by Sue Lilly

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 21, 2007, 02:49:04 pm »

Hi all!

I very recently stumbled apon a form of divination that I had not known about before.  Lithomancy, the art divination using stones.  I actually first heard about it this weekend from me new favorite book Witchcraft for Tomorrow.

I really wish ShadowCat would chime in on this one. What you're describing as "lithomancy" sounds to me like what she calls "geomancy"...

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #4: August 21, 2007, 03:52:30 pm »

I really wish ShadowCat would chime in on this one. What you're describing as "lithomancy" sounds to me like what she calls "geomancy"...

Actually, I don't think it does.  What Shadowcat does can be done with a single stone, or a button.  What j9 is talking about seems to involve several different kinds of stone, with meaning dependent on kind and position, rather than number patterns.

I'm not sure why, but I was expecting 'lithomancy' to have something to do with printing blocks. Smiley

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 21, 2007, 06:56:01 pm »

I don't think so...I saw someone demonstrate geomancy at a workshop a while back, and it was quite complicated and mainly had to do with interpreting where on a chart a certain number of tokens fell, IIRC.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 21, 2007, 09:21:27 pm »

You know, with my obsession of collection stones from everywhere, I would want to do this too.

But no. I get stuck with bones. BONES.

I live in the middle of a prarie suburbia. Angry There ain't no bones here!

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 21, 2007, 09:32:19 pm »

You know, with my obsession of collection stones from everywhere, I would want to do this too.

I guess you could collect chicken bones, fish bones, turkey bones, and bones from different cuts of beef   Cheesy

Around here, there is like an animal graveyard or something, because my dogs bring home deer jawbones, turtle shells, all sorts of stuff.  They carried a deer leg bone around for quite a while, before they chewed it up.  I know what it was, because they took it off of the deer that was killed by a car and was laying across the street.   Cheesy  If you were here, you could feel free to take all you wanted! They might have a few dog teeth marks tho  Wink

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Gravatar

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 21, 2007, 10:00:33 pm »

I guess you could collect chicken bones, fish bones, turkey bones, and bones from different cuts of beef   Cheesy

Around here, there is like an animal graveyard or something, because my dogs bring home deer jawbones, turtle shells, all sorts of stuff.  They carried a deer leg bone around for quite a while, before they chewed it up.  I know what it was, because they took it off of the deer that was killed by a car and was laying across the street.   Cheesy  If you were here, you could feel free to take all you wanted! They might have a few dog teeth marks tho  Wink

Gina

Hehe, thanks Gina. Smiley

“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 21, 2007, 10:57:12 pm »

sure there are...at the butcher shop   Smiley
The lady who was demonstrating shamanic bone divination at Pantheacon said that is where she got them. You have to boil them and bleach them though. Bones are really cool! Be glad and proud of your bone thing, why not? My son found a wonderful deer femur a while back when we were hiking in Tomales Bay. You never know when you are going to find cool stuff, if you just put it out there that you want to, you likely will.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Gravatar

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 21, 2007, 11:32:35 pm »

sure there are...at the butcher shop   Smiley
The lady who was demonstrating shamanic bone divination at Pantheacon said that is where she got them. You have to boil them and bleach them though. Bones are really cool! Be glad and proud of your bone thing, why not? My son found a wonderful deer femur a while back when we were hiking in Tomales Bay. You never know when you are going to find cool stuff, if you just put it out there that you want to, you likely will.

Hmm. Thanks for the idea! Do you remember her name or anything, or if she has a website?

I'm certainly very proud. It's just very irritating. Cheesy

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:December 13, 2019, 11:59:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: August 22, 2007, 12:40:54 am »

I'm not sure why, but I was expecting 'lithomancy' to have something to do with printing blocks. Smiley
I know why:  lithography.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: August 22, 2007, 12:51:50 am »

Lithomancy, the art divination using stones.... <snip>

Pretty much any system of divination using stones could be called "lithomancy"; I suspect there are many such systems (of varying ages, from centuries old to invented last week).  You could try developing your own, following your gut to determine what you want the details to be.  It might not work all that well, or then again it might - and if it does, you'd certainly have found a form of divination that clicks for you.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
j9
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 17, 2007, 01:43:01 am
South Africa South Africa

Religion: Neo-Pagan/Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 22, 2007, 02:14:03 am »

Pretty much any system of divination using stones could be called "lithomancy"; I suspect there are many such systems (of varying ages, from centuries old to invented last week).

Yes, you are quiet right there seem to be many different form and adaptions.  The one I am interested in most at the moment is the traditional forum.  I wish I had my book here so I could quote the bit that it does say about it, but I left it at home to let my mom have a chance to look at it.  I did find more or less the same discription (if a little vague) in Wikipedia though:

"In the traditional method 13 stones are used. Seven stones represent the ancient astrological signs: the Sun, Moon, Mars, Venus, Mercury, Jupiter and Saturn. The remaining six stones represent the home, life, love, health, luck, magic, and news."

It goes on to say that some more modern forms use 3 extra stones to represent Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto for a total of 16 stones, but for now I'll just stick to the most traditional version and take it from there. 

There was a link provided though with some good information in it, at least I find it good for giving me ideas at least.

http://www.garywimmer.com/psychic/index.html

Thanks for all the replies!

*hugs*

[edit]

Ack!

I just double checked the wikipedia definition and realized they made a pretty obvious mistake, they have given 7 different personal stones and not 6 - that will teach me I guess - sorry, I'll double check the book and give the right ones asap.

j9
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 04:14:33 am by j9 » Logged
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: August 22, 2007, 06:04:22 am »

Yes, you are quiet right there seem to be many different form and adaptions.  The one I am interested in most at the moment is the traditional forum.
What I'm questioning is the idea of "the traditional form".  It's not a divination form I know much of anything specific about, but it seems to me that the use of stones would be so obvious and convenient that systems would be likely to develop completely independently, with nothing in common at all other than the use of stones, or with any commonalities being purely coincidental.  So the question arises, traditional to whom?

Sunflower

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.