The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 29, 2020, 12:03:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2020, 12:03:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is a Pagan?  (Read 12413 times)
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm
United States United States

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: March 21, 2007, 01:11:18 pm »

This I can get on board with - I cannot believe I moved again with 3000+ books (and growing, always growing).

I have shrunk my own library considerable over the past few years, paring out the books I don't use and won't reread.  I'm down to only about 500 now.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: March 21, 2007, 01:51:36 pm »

Can we, as a group, say emphatically that we are in as strong a recognized and respected position as the Mormans? Do we forget that the Mormans were persecuted at one time in their history on their own American soil? 
"As respected as the Mormons"?  Wow.  What circles are you running in?  People around here tend to think that Mormons are as big as wackjob as pagans.  Possibly more so, since they "claim" to be Christian as well.

I'll echo everyone else's answer regarding respect:  I could care less.  I don't want the respect of people who would look down on me for my religion.  (I don't respect them, why would I care if they respect me?)  If they act on the disrespect, then there will be trouble.

But the only people I really talk to about my religion are people I'm already close to.  If it's a big problem when it comes up, then I've probably made the wrong decision about becoming close.

I don't shout "I'm a pagan!" at work, the mall, at school, etc.  Not because I have a persecution complex, but because it's rude (and a wee bit tacky.)

If I'd cared about people approving of my religion, I'd be a Protestant Christian (because that's the least likely to raise eyebrows in my neck of the woods.)
Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: March 21, 2007, 02:16:13 pm »

I have shrunk my own library considerable over the past few years, paring out the books I don't use and won't reread.  I'm down to only about 500 now.

I am addicted
Lynleigh
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 04:07:50 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: March 21, 2007, 02:21:45 pm »

People around here tend to think that Mormons are as big as wackjob as pagans.  Possibly more so, since they "claim" to be Christian as well.

It's the same where I live as well, and my state has one of the largest Mormon populations in the US.
sunkissed
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 14, 2014, 08:05:55 pm

Religion: Eccentric Neo-Pagan Dirt-Worshipper

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: March 21, 2007, 03:35:39 pm »

Show me a pagan who doesn't have a laundry list of skills and knowledge, both ordinary and esoteric and I'll show you a newbie who hasn't had time to develop that yet.  As a group, we're a voracious bunch of learners.  We tend to be the sort who have that "gotta know" gene.

I would agree with that, for the most part. I think it's just the nature of neo-paganism. I would wager that the majority of pagans are dealing with pantheons or individual deities that are very, very old and a good way to understand them is to learn at least a small bit about the cultures from which they sprung. And that leads to learning about more cultures which leads to history, anthropology, archaeology, and on and on. And then there are the many pagans who also practice some sort of magical craft, a subject with its own incredibly complex history. Then there are things like developing liturgy and ministering to a group or to the public, training the mind, training the body, arts and crafts. All sorts of things that many pagans learn over time in order to worship, practice, whatever.

Not that any of this is exclusive to pagans. But we tend to rely on one another for information and the sharing of resources, which serves to develop and reinforce that common vocabulary.

Sunkissed
Matrinka
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: March 21, 2007, 03:53:12 pm »

I am addicted

I am, too.  I just clean out, then rebuild, then clean out, then rebuild...

I've owned probably 5k books in my life now.  I get tired of the ones I have, sell them off and buy different books.  I was down to under 200 for a short time there, and over the past months I've added probably 60 new titles to the library, most of which I'll read then sell, a few I'll add to the permanent collection and some I'll give away.  I'm soon not going to have the room to house so many books.

phoukamare
Master Member
Last Login:May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 pm

Religion: Irish pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: March 21, 2007, 08:01:16 pm »

I am addicted

And there isn't a Book owners Anonymous for us.

My books are still in AZ...but will slowly be coming here to SC soon. $25/month will ship one box, give or take. 23 boxes of books and 7 boxes of various other stuff.

Phouka
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #37: March 22, 2007, 08:44:29 am »

Bouncing off of this, because you're onto something here.

That shared vocabulary stems out of that common body of knowledge.

And that body of knowledge is enormous.

Show me a pagan who doesn't have a laundry list of skills and knowledge, both ordinary and esoteric and I'll show you a newbie who hasn't had time to develop that yet.  As a group, we're a voracious bunch of learners.  We tend to be the sort who have that "gotta know" gene.
And that'd be pagans-in-general, even the fluffy bunnies.  (Fluffy bunnies don't lack that drive to learn stuff, they just have trouble discerning the differences among factual truth, poetic truth, sound logic, dodgy logic, wishful thinking, and out-and-out codswallop.)  As for us Cauldronites, we're outright geeky.

Responding to the longer train of thought, I'm in enthusiastic agreement.  Defining "Pagan" by religious commonalities is an exercise in futility, for reasons already stated.  The problem may, though, be more approachable from angles like meta-religious commonalities, or shared vocabulary - why are we all crowded under this umbrella?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Matrinka
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: March 22, 2007, 10:17:51 am »

And that'd be pagans-in-general, even the fluffy bunnies.  (Fluffy bunnies don't lack that drive to learn stuff, they just have trouble discerning the differences among factual truth, poetic truth, sound logic, dodgy logic, wishful thinking, and out-and-out codswallop.)  As for us Cauldronites, we're outright geeky.

I actually added and removed a bit about exactly that because I couldn't get it worded to suit myself, but you said it for me.  Thanks. 

Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: March 22, 2007, 11:28:16 am »

I am, too.  I just clean out, then rebuild, then clean out, then rebuild...

I've owned probably 5k books in my life now.  I get tired of the ones I have, sell them off and buy different books.  I was down to under 200 for a short time there, and over the past months I've added probably 60 new titles to the library, most of which I'll read then sell, a few I'll add to the permanent collection and some I'll give away.  I'm soon not going to have the room to house so many books.

I used to be better about cleaning out, but when I moved and then split from my ex real quick (most of my books had been in a storage shed on the property due to lack of space), I soon came to realize as I unpacked that he had sold some of my books.  I had packed them in an organized fashion for storage so that I could find what I wanted with reasonable ease, and what made me initially suspicious was when my entire collections by several authors that had been in one box together were gone.  As far as I could piece together, he sold maybe 4 boxes of books - including some that are out of print.  It's harder now to do any house cleaning of books - I don't get rid of many.  I have given some that were more to my kids' tastes to them - but that was easier!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)