The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 15, 2021, 04:38:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2021, 04:38:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is Magic?  (Read 8685 times)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 23, 2007, 05:57:20 pm »

I know this thread's already been done, but it's really long and hasn't been posted in for a while, and I want to be more specific anyway: is magic a force (like gravity), a wave (like light), or is magic simply phenomena of all types that science hasn't explained yet?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 23, 2007, 06:04:22 pm »

I know this thread's already been done, but it's really long and hasn't been posted in for a while, and I want to be more specific anyway: is magic a force (like gravity), a wave (like light), or is magic simply phenomena of all types that science hasn't explained yet?

The latter, I suspect. Something science has yet to explain -- or even really study.

(Side note: Light is both a particle and a wave -- it behaves like whichever one you are testing for. One of the weird quantum mechanics things.)

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 23, 2007, 06:21:15 pm »

(Side note: Light is both a particle and a wave -- it behaves like whichever one you are testing for. One of the weird quantum mechanics things.)

Yeah, I know! Isn't that the absolute *coolest* thing in the world!!!??? I would agree with you that it's something science has yet to explain, but that doesn't really explain how we can manipulate it the way we do. I'm thinking that there are two categories to it. The first doesn't require will. Things like magnetism and the healing properties of herbs fall into that category for me (yes, science has exlained them, but they at one time were magic under the definition that magic is what science hasn't explained, so magic and science to me are synonymous, which is how i rationalize wanting to be a scientist and believing in magic at the same time). The second category would be what we do when we focus our will. are we somehow channeling our body energy, or are we tapping into a force around us and manipulating *it* somehow with our energy/something else? did that make sense? I probably could have done a betterjob phrasing it... oh well.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 23, 2007, 06:28:38 pm »

Things like magnetism and the healing properties of herbs fall into that category for me (yes, science has exlained them, but they at one time were magic under the definition that magic is what science hasn't explained, so magic and science to me are synonymous, which is how i rationalize wanting to be a scientist and believing in magic at the same time).

I don't think everything not yet explained by science is magic. Smiley

Personally, I don't see anything weird about believe in magic or in deities and wanting to be a scientist. For example, while the fundies want to believe that scientists studying evolutions are all hard core atheists, many of them are really Christian -- just not of the Biblical literalist variety. While many scientists are atheists, many are just are not -- and some even practice magic. For example, one of the people I studied CM with in the 70s was a research chemist with a number of published papers.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 23, 2007, 06:38:02 pm »

Personally, I don't see anything weird about believe in magic or in deities and wanting to be a scientist. For example, while the fundies want to believe that scientists studying evolutions are all hard core atheists, many of them are really Christian -- just not of the Biblical literalist variety. While many scientists are atheists, many are just are not -- and some even practice magic. For example, one of the people I studied CM with in the 70s was a research chemist with a number of published papers.

Really? That makes me feel a lot better.

Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 23, 2007, 06:45:57 pm »

Well for me everything around me is made up of energy. Matter IS energy, it doesn't just contain energy. When I do magic I call on that energy, in me and in my surroundings and THAT is magic. So not a force as such, just a manifestation of the inherent energy around us.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 23, 2007, 06:48:05 pm »

Well for me everything around me is made up of energy. Matter IS energy, it doesn't just contain energy. When I do magic I call on that energy, in me and in my surroundings and THAT is magic. So not a force as such, just a manifestation of the inherent energy around us.

That makes sense. The problem is that most of theories I've thought of make sense to me, so that makes it impossible to chose.

Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 23, 2007, 06:51:14 pm »

That makes sense. The problem is that most of theories I've thought of make sense to me, so that makes it impossible to chose.

Cheesy But mine is based on science! Look at E=mc2 (I can't do a squared sign) and think about it, it doesn't make sense that matter is not made of energy. I have no time now but if you want then I can post a better explanation later.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 23, 2007, 07:03:10 pm »

Cheesy But mine is based on science! Look at E=mc2 (I can't do a squared sign) and think about it, it doesn't make sense that matter is not made of energy. I have no time now but if you want then I can post a better explanation later.

You're probably right, but I still think it's possible that magic is some kind of force like magnetism and gravity (electron, prontons, and magitrons??).

(ok, bear with me, i've been reading a bunch of brain/mind books, so this is probably going to sound nutty)
It would make sense there is some kind of *thing* in our brains that allows us to somehow make the connection between what we want and what we cause to happen either by using the magitrons or energy. The *thing* I'm talking about is the bridge between mind and brain. The bridge between them, it seems to me, will be the key.

I'm not making sense, I know, but at least this is forcing me to think through my theory. Ok. Thus far, I think magic is:
The effect caused by the the manipulation of energy/magic particles, by way of the *something* that bridges the mind and the brain.

Ugh Huh

WRaven
Last Login:September 14, 2007, 07:19:16 pm

Religion: Pagan

One Path, One Voice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 23, 2007, 08:16:21 pm »

The effect caused by the the manipulation of energy/magic particles, by way of the *something* that bridges the mind and the brain.

I would not consider magic and effect or result of anything.  Afterall, it is not only a result.  It is the act itself.  No matter what the effect, the effect is not the power behind it.  In other words, the 'manipulation' is the magic.

On another point, I am not sure how you are defining the diffence between the mind and the brain.  Please explain so I can understand your theory.

Forever in Service,
WRaven
Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 23, 2007, 08:24:37 pm »

Well, personally, I'm not convinced that magic is an external, natural force - I believe that it's something that exists in our minds. Not to say that it doesn't exist at all. It's a psychological reality. I might be inclined to say that "magic" is made up of whatever "thought" is. (And, as occultists say, "thoughts are things.") But of course, this is coming from someone who has not yet been entirely convinced that magic has an effect on external reality. (I'm open to the idea, but I haven't done enough experimenting outside of dealing with psychosomatic illness.)

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 23, 2007, 08:43:41 pm »

Well, personally, I'm not convinced that magic is an external, natural force - I believe that it's something that exists in our minds. Not to say that it doesn't exist at all. It's a psychological reality. I might be inclined to say that "magic" is made up of whatever "thought" is. (And, as occultists say, "thoughts are things.") But of course, this is coming from someone who has not yet been entirely convinced that magic has an effect on external reality. (I'm open to the idea, but I haven't done enough experimenting outside of dealing with psychosomatic illness.)

I try to believe, but it has to be explained in order for me *to* believe completely. Do I hope with all my heart that magic is real? Definately. Do I really think so? I will if I can convince myself that it's possible.

This discussion is heading in the same way as the Time discussion. I need to read more Brian Greene. Randall, do you recommend anyone else?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: August 23, 2007, 10:01:02 pm »

This discussion is heading in the same way as the Time discussion. I need to read more Brian Greene. Randall, do you recommend anyone else?

In what field? Magic?

Randall
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 23, 2007, 10:10:54 pm »

In what field? Magic?

No! quantum mechanics. i've already read the elegant universe and one other book, but i forgot what it was called...

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: August 24, 2007, 03:46:35 am »

None of the above.  Ok, I don't really believe in magic anymore.  But when I did, I tended to view it as breaking the rules, and transgressing against the natural cause of events.  That is, things happen in a certain way.  There are normal ways of influencing ongoing events.  Magic I see as something that circumvents that, in a way that I think might be fundamentally impossible to describe.

I don't believe in magic anymore, of course, but I still tend to work with a vague theory like that when I use it in fiction.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)