The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 21, 2021, 03:39:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2021, 03:39:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is Magic?  (Read 8691 times)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 24, 2007, 10:19:31 am »

None of the above.  Ok, I don't really believe in magic anymore.  But when I did, I tended to view it as breaking the rules, and transgressing against the natural cause of events.  That is, things happen in a certain way.  There are normal ways of influencing ongoing events.  Magic I see as something that circumvents that, in a way that I think might be fundamentally impossible to describe.

I don't believe in magic anymore, of course, but I still tend to work with a vague theory like that when I use it in fiction.

I can see why you would think that.
What made you stop believing, or did you just *stop*?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 24, 2007, 10:24:33 am »

I know this thread's already been done, but it's really long and hasn't been posted in for a while, and I want to be more specific anyway: is magic a force (like gravity), a wave (like light), or is magic simply phenomena of all types that science hasn't explained yet?

For me magic is not the ‘out there’. The ‘out there’ is nature and the universe and life. ‘Out there’ is the thing. Magic to me is using your will to shift the energies around you to do what you want whether you are doing a spell, trying to scry or doing divination. Magic is the ‘doing’, not the ‘out there’. The magic is you who is doing the ‘doing.’ Follow me?

I also don’t see working with herbs as magic. That is medicine. Unless you are actively using your will to push energy into a potion or what-have-you then the collecting, preparing, and use of herbal ‘stuff’ is medicine and thus a part of science.

Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 24, 2007, 10:28:37 am »

For me magic is not the ‘out there’. The ‘out there’ is nature and the universe and life. ‘Out there’ is the thing. Magic to me is using your will to shift the energies around you to do what you want whether you are doing a spell, trying to scry or doing divination. Magic is the ‘doing’, not the ‘out there’. The magic is you who is doing the ‘doing.’ Follow me?
XD sort of.

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 24, 2007, 11:39:03 am »

I know this thread's already been done, but it's really long and hasn't been posted in for a while, and I want to be more specific anyway: is magic a force (like gravity), a wave (like light), or is magic simply phenomena of all types that science hasn't explained yet?

All of the above....and more.

I guess my question would be "What isn't magic?" To me everything is magic. The world, the beings in it, space, the elements, the organization of the universe, human thought, it's just is so amazing that it all exists.
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 24, 2007, 01:29:25 pm »

All of the above....and more.

I guess my question would be "What isn't magic?" To me everything is magic. The world, the beings in it, space, the elements, the organization of the universe, human thought, it's just is so amazing that it all exists.

That's a beautiful way to look at it, but for me, I want magic to be *more* if it's everything we already know, what's left to be more interesting. To me, magic adds extra purpose, meaning, and potential to everything. If magic is everything, it almost seems as if magic is also nothing. It's like, if everything was special, everything would be ordinary. Do you see what I mean?

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: August 24, 2007, 02:52:13 pm »

Well, I follow you fine, but that's cause I was hoping someone would post something here that I could just me too.

Me too.

Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #21: August 24, 2007, 03:03:05 pm »

Well, I follow you fine, but that's cause I was hoping someone would post something here that I could just me too.

Me too.

It’s high praise to get a “me too” from you. Thanks!  Smiley

That's a beautiful way to look at it, but for me, I want magic to be *more* if it's everything we already know, what's left to be more interesting. To me, magic adds extra purpose, meaning, and potential to everything. If magic is everything, it almost seems as if magic is also nothing. It's like, if everything was special, everything would be ordinary. Do you see what I mean?

I get what you mean. You want magic to be something special, something that only the elite can do or use. But for many on this list magic is an everyday thing, something interwoven in their lives. For them, it is ordinary.

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: August 24, 2007, 03:15:28 pm »

is magic a force (like gravity), a wave (like light), or is magic simply phenomena of all types that science hasn't explained yet?

I'm not trying to be dismissive (really--I practice magic myself), but I just don't care.  Seriously.

Magic for me is a sort of fuzzy thinking.  As a realist (which I generally am), I really need to shut off my logical brain to practice magic.  Excessive analysis leads to the obvious (to me, anyway) conclusion that I'm a delusional goofball.  I don't need or want anything to explain magic.  It's like beach sand...the tighter I try to hold it, the more it slips through my fingers.

I think it's because magic requires so much focus (on the object of our desires, on energy manipulation, grounding, etc.) that it seems natural to try to figure out the mechanics behind it.  I consider this to be both impractical and detrimental to the practice of magic.  <shrug>  YMMV.

Brina
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: August 24, 2007, 03:38:31 pm »

I can see why you would think that.
What made you stop believing, or did you just *stop*?

I stood back and reassessed my life - I've had to, as I've failed so many of my own expectations.  At the end of the day, I decided that I didn't really believe, and that I'd spent too long trying to convince myself that I did believe.  It's a weight off my shoulders. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 24, 2007, 04:10:18 pm »

Like a lot of other skills I've learned over the years, magic improves my life.  So did learning to cook, knit, garden, write...

I think being who we are adds purpose, meaning, and potential to everything.  We're unique not because we practice magic, but because everyone is unique.

Magic is the least displayable/provable talent I have.  I'm not sure I'm even particularly talented at it, actually.  My more tangible talents generate more interest than magic ever has or will.  Trust me, getting praise for a tangible talent is much more satisfying than feeling "special" because of magic.

Brina
Enchanted Spirit
Journeyman
Last Login:March 26, 2008, 11:16:10 am

Religion: Pagan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: August 24, 2007, 04:16:53 pm »

I also don’t see working with herbs as magic. That is medicine. Unless you are actively using your will to push energy into a potion or what-have-you then the collecting, preparing, and use of herbal ‘stuff’ is medicine and thus a part of science.

I've always believed in magic.  I've used it all my life and it's worked for me.  My method has always been similar to "wishcraft".  I have never used circles or anything other than "true intent" (it can't be a passing fancy, I have to really want whatever it is).  It's worked that way for me since I was a small girl, so that's how I've always done it.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: August 24, 2007, 04:47:22 pm »

Magic for me is a sort of fuzzy thinking.  As a realist (which I generally am), I really need to shut off my logical brain to practice magic.  Excessive analysis leads to the obvious (to me, anyway) conclusion that I'm a delusional goofball.  I don't need or want anything to explain magic.  It's like beach sand...the tighter I try to hold it, the more it slips through my fingers.
lol. I feel this exact way about several occult-related things!

But in a nutshell, I feel as though magic is energy. I feel as though everything is energy, and the amazing energy within molecules (hi, the atomic bomb!) creates magical dimensions. I feel as though it is the molecular structure that creates the different properties of herbs, stones, etc. There is also energy that is not necessarily connected to matter, and it is (some of) this energy that we manipulate during magic. Brains are crazy things, and I believe that there is something in our brains (and the brains of other creatures, perhaps) that allows us to bridge the gap between physically associated energy and "other" energy.

Meh. Some superficial thoughts on the subject.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: August 24, 2007, 07:48:05 pm »

Yes, I do.  But I believe things are only concidered ordinary because we take them for granted. Ever try to experience the world through a child's eyes?  That is what I try to do. I don't want to lose the magical feel the Earth, my home, has always had for me.

My friends and family are quite used to me calling for them to come and look at the big yellow full moon, or to come see a weird bug pull the carcass of a spider accross the lawn, or to have me (much to their embarrassment) pick up an unusual rock in a parking lot. Needless to say I made quite a big deal out of this year's meteor showers. I think I got this attitude from my mom who nearly died as a child. She really appreciated her life in this world.

However, there is still plenty of mystery in the world too, that is another part of it's magic.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)