The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 20, 2021, 05:57:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2021, 05:57:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Defective pumps used to protect New Orleans  (Read 1800 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: March 13, 2007, 07:25:37 pm »

Well, at least the company isn't Haliburton, though I think it's ties to Jeb Bush are equally stinky.

Defective pumps used to protect New Orleans
Corps of Engineers defends supplier, says pumps were better than nothing

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17597203/

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 13, 2007, 08:58:22 pm »

Defective pumps used to protect New Orleans
Corps of Engineers defends supplier, says pumps were better than nothing

You know, I think anyone is the CoE who defends a supplier of defective parts like that needs to spend the rest of their lives doing meaningless manual labor for minimum wage and no benefits.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 14, 2007, 12:20:54 pm »

You know, I think anyone is the CoE who defends a supplier of defective parts like that needs to spend the rest of their lives doing meaningless manual labor for minimum wage and no benefits.

Having done pump design trials, I'm not overly surprised that they had failures. I"m not going to dump on the company until I have a lot more data, particularly engineering data.

Worst failure was in a pump that had a materials change to a proven design.  First test run was about 1 second before it seized solid.  This was a design that had been in production for over a decade, with only the material of the rotor changed.

From the photo on page 2, and the data of 200 cu ft per second I"m not surprised that they'd have troubles. It takes time, which they did not have, to test a new design, or even a modified design.
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 17, 2007, 08:46:18 pm »

From the photo on page 2, and the data of 200 cu ft per second I"m not surprised that they'd have troubles. It takes time, which they did not have, to test a new design, or even a modified design.

So why did the Corp go for unproven designs, particularly as you said time was critical.

The corp is under political presure on many things.  I've work with them and done projects for them.  A lot of nice people, one losey organisations. 
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 18, 2007, 08:02:58 am »

So why did the Corp go for unproven designs, particularly as you said time was critical.

The corp is under political presure on many things.  I've work with them and done projects for them.  A lot of nice people, one losey organisations. 

Political pressure to "get pumps in place." I'd guess.

I'm thinking it was a choice of no pumps or these pumps. Only one company bid maybe, since they were the only ones willing to offer the right delivery date? (even if it was an upproven design).  Only this company bid knowing that they had political pull to ensure the Corp would pony up for the re-work if the design was 100% ready?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)