The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2019, 04:44:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2019, 04:44:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Types of Magical Practice?  (Read 9102 times)
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 24, 2007, 12:55:32 pm »

I know most of us don’t fit into one category in regards to how we choose to do our workings but I’d really like to hear about other people’s ‘style’, if you could call it that. Do you prefer ceremonial magick with all the bells and whistles or do you go more along the lines of intrinsic or inner magick? How about the so-called kitchen witches? How would you describe your ‘style’? How do those who follow nature magick go about their business? Or how about shamanism or alchemy? I’d love to have different points of view.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 24, 2007, 03:13:35 pm »

I know most of us don’t fit into one category in regards to how we choose to do our workings but I’d really like to hear about other people’s ‘style’, if you could call it that. Do you prefer ceremonial magick with all the bells and whistles or do you go more along the lines of intrinsic or inner magick? How about the so-called kitchen witches? How would you describe your ‘style’? How do those who follow nature magick go about their business? Or how about shamanism or alchemy? I’d love to have different points of view.

I do a more instinctive, simple ritual style. The ritual framework is usually the same, and the "magic" part of it consists of prayers and offerings of thanks and asking of favors.

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:April 10, 2019, 03:38:06 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: August 24, 2007, 03:30:07 pm »

How would you describe your ‘style’?

Honestly, I have a hard time with that.

(I wrote about this on http://www.rendingtheveil.com/ -- check out the article titled 'Catching the Wave'.)

The thing is, I for the most part don't pull magic out of things into something specific that I do as magic.  I don't see the point in breaking out and doing a separate spell from the intergrated stuff that I just do.  I also don't know where the boundaries are -- is putting out milk for the domovoi magic?  I don't think so at all, but some people might.

I've done actual spells without thinking about it -- one is described in Catching the Wave -- so where does that go in a style?  I do energy healing and manipulation rather a lot.  I'm doing some work on spirit stuff, but again, is that magic?

Mostly I don't know where the boundaries are supposed to go on what 'is' magic and what 'isn't'.

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 19, 2015, 10:34:23 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 24, 2007, 04:56:26 pm »

I know most of us don’t fit into one category in regards to how we choose to do our workings but I’d really like to hear about other people’s ‘style’, if you could call it that.

Mine varies hugely. I'm 'high church' by general inclination, meaning that given the chance, I'll happily do ritual with the smells, bells, and various other formal ritual accoutrements if it's an option.

That said, I do a bunch of small daily magical work (grounding/centering, devotionals, other minor or regular things) usually very informally. I've been known to do magic in my car driving to work (and some of my most effective magical work, actually.)

I'm also starting to do an increasing amount of kitchen-related magic (I've baked bread semi-regularly for the last few years, and am looking forward to the weather being cool enough I can bake again without making the house unbearably hot.) and that's a whole other kettle of fish.

I think the way I've started looking at it is that I have an increasingly useful toolbox, and I'm more frequently pulling out the most suitable tool for the details of the situation (balancing available time and other resources, what else is on my plate that week, what I have handy or would have to get, how urgent the magical work is, etc.) rather than something that would also work, but have other complications.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 24, 2007, 06:18:21 pm »

Mostly all inner magic these days. I feel I have more control over things that way.  Recently had a very bungled try at a fenugreek tisane - Kitchen Witchery is definately an art I don't have a knack for. 
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 24, 2007, 06:31:40 pm »

Since I can't stand ceremony-like events, I'm not cut out for Ceremonial or High Magic.

I haven't really tried out magic other than this one time.. where I'm sure it didn't work. But I suppose I could be labelled as using "inner magic". It's my best guess.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 16, 2019, 02:44:12 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: August 24, 2007, 08:14:28 pm »

I'm an Improvisational Magician who, when I feel formality is called for, is likely (but not certain) to use an exoteric Wiccan frame.

(Which is a much more clear and concise answer than I was able to come up with last time this question arose.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 24, 2007, 10:27:19 pm »

I'm an Improvisational Magician who, when I feel formality is called for, is likely (but not certain) to use an exoteric Wiccan frame.

(Which is a much more clear and concise answer than I was able to come up with last time this question arose.)

Sunflower

What a very nice way to put it.

I think I fall in that category as well. I certainly believe magic is as quite natural and I use it informally quite a lot. Just last weekend I cast an impromptu protection spell with nothing more than a pointing finger and five free minutes.

There are however, several occasions where I really want to get something major accomplished and I use a Wiccaneske framework and generally spend a couple weeks in preparation. But all the props and trappings are to create a space to get into the deepest trance state I can muster. All magic is inner work for me, but the outer trappings get me into a good state of mind to really shape things as I wish. It is not a religious experience for me, simple using the way things works with a conscious force of will. Perhaps that makes all life a religious experience, but I do not work with a Lord or Lady per se.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 10:32:35 pm by juniperrr, Reason: to add the word I forgot » Logged
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 24, 2007, 11:19:20 pm »

Sunflower

well stated. I think this is mostly how I do. I also found out recently that I was doing kinda NA and Celtic shamanic stuff. I never put it together that way, but apparently that is me. Am beginning to study up a bit on shamanism now. I am huge big kitchen witch, as well, and always have been.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Slynth
Apprentice
Last Login:August 05, 2010, 02:02:44 am

Religion: Pagan-something

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 25, 2007, 01:47:44 am »

I know most of us don’t fit into one category in regards to how we choose to do our workings but I’d really like to hear about other people’s ‘style’, if you could call it that. Do you prefer ceremonial magick with all the bells and whistles or do you go more along the lines of intrinsic or inner magick?

I think I'm sort of somewhere vaguely in-between.  I really love the bells and whistles, the correspondances and trappings, and for me all the actual work of the spell is putting the various pieces together.  I really love using smaller items to represent big things; for instance, a nail from the foundation of my house to represent the house in a protection spell...  after that it's just a matter of arranging the things and linking them in my mind. 

I'm not very good at making the actual casting very momentous though; somehow, the words seem much more sincere if I concentrate on them and keep them in the back of my mind for the next few days than if I speak them.  Speaking or writing things seems to make me want to forget them; my memory completely fails me and all those pretty stones just go back to being rocks!
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #10: August 25, 2007, 02:09:49 am »

Speaking or writing things seems to make me want to forget them

Maybe you should look into using sigils, since forgetting them is an essential part of the process.  ( I never seem to forget anything, except a few specific categories of things I've trained myself to, so I don't do much with sigils myself)

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Ardista
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 10, 2007, 03:05:29 am

Religion: Pagan

Hey this isn't where I parked my car!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 25, 2007, 03:32:54 am »

I know most of us don’t fit into one category in regards to how we choose to do our workings but I’d really like to hear about other people’s ‘style’, if you could call it that. Do you prefer ceremonial magick with all the bells and whistles or do you go more along the lines of intrinsic or inner magick?

I guess my style would have to be very instinctual and internally ecclectic.  I haven't actually studied a particular method until fairly recently, be it ritual or meditative.  I don't like extreme ceremonial anything because it feels too structured and I find that energy has a mind of it's own on occasion.  Since I've been doing a lot more reading, I find my workings tend to lean towards an eastern view of energy flow.  I instinctually would ground and center myself, as well as would use colors and emotions to characterize particular energetic flows that I would encounter.  If I feel like I need a ritual to accomplish the focus for a task, I tend to keep it very simple, using few objects and direct requests.

There's got to be a reason, though sometimes I think the gods just wanted a good laugh.
Travers
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 26, 2008, 02:23:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 25, 2007, 01:09:46 pm »

Do you prefer ceremonial magick with all the bells and whistles or do you go more along the lines of intrinsic or inner magick? Or how about shamanism or alchemy? I’d love to have different points of view.

I find that two approaches work for me - sometimes I like to do Golden Dawn type ceremonial and sometimes rattling, drumming and howling shamanism.  Both can get me into altered states of consciousness.  But I wouldn't suggest doing them together - or even on the same day.  That way lies madness, I think.
Vanni
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 16, 2015, 09:45:11 am

Religion: N/A

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 26, 2007, 09:39:24 am »

I grew up with grandparents who came from Europe. They practiced what would commonly be called folk magic; however, they never admitted that it was magic. At that point, at least I was immersed in a culture that accepted that magick existed. In addition, I would define magick as incorporating what are commonly known as miracles so none of this was incongruent with my upbringing.

I then went through a period that I called my "scientific" period which basically meant that I thought the old ways were archaic and the product of the "uneducated peasants".

About ten years ago I drifted back and certain life events resulted in the recognition that there are some things that simply defy what we know about science and physics and our current world. I started researching on the net and started doing formal spells to help with an awful mess. I saw the tangible results and have been refining this ever since.

So, to answer your question, I do the folk magic that is part of my ethnic heritage. It feels very right to me. I also do magick in my everyday living. I agree that some of my best magick has occurred in my car lol. I use herbs and candles and lots of lemons or limes sometimes, but most of the time I don't have the luxury of doing formal ceremonies or using actual tools. (no time, insane schedule and lots of people around all of the time). Therefore, I need to rely heavily on visualization, period. In the morning I literally stop by a rather private restroom and do a protection spell or shielding. I shield immediately whenever necessary. Plus I incorporate Catholicism into what I do (similar to Santeria). Therefore, magick is part of my everyday existence and not something that I do seperately.
mapmaker
Last Login:August 26, 2007, 05:10:52 pm

Religion: aclictic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 26, 2007, 04:42:18 pm »

I do a more instinctive, simple ritual style. The ritual framework is usually the same, and the "magic" part of it consists of prayers and offerings of thanks and asking of favors.
i just open up my self to the power and let that guide me in the making of my personal majac im a kitchen magag love that whitch is of earth i get a movement form the form that i utelise for my power a small push in the right place can move a large amount of power maps when i tap power i use it and groud it then thank it for the good it has done for me it is a kick but it can bite if you abuse it maps
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 04:57:26 pm by mapmaker » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)