The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 02, 2020, 12:46:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 12:46:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Types of Magical Practice?  (Read 10035 times)
Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 26, 2007, 08:58:38 pm »

I know most of us don’t fit into one category in regards to how we choose to do our workings but I’d really like to hear about other people’s ‘style’, if you could call it that.

Darkhawk pretty much summed it up nicely, so I'm stealing some quotes.  Grin

The thing is, I for the most part don't pull magic out of things into something specific that I do as magic.

Most of my 'magical' acts are pretty mundane- like showers. Sounds a little hokey, I know, but everyday showering has evolved into a purification for me. Partly because when you come out from the street you can feel the grit from the air on your skin (ah, New York summers) and partly because when you're in a shower you really can't multitask- you have to focus on cleaning up or else you'll slip on a bar of soap or something and bust your head open.
 Undecided  Or maybe that's just me.

A lot of the stuff I do is internal, mostly because my main modes of communicating with the other in life is through dreamwork. The other main mode is through art- I like making little doodads and tools and shiny, crafty things, which I usually wind up giving away because I use so few objects myself.

But both of these avenues work pretty much on intuitive level, so big, lengthy preparations and tons of ritualized motions and intonations and weeks of prep work don't work so well for me. I tend to lose steam if I don't follow through with a charm or spell immediately. I have a hard enough time remembering to change the water on my ancestor table weekly.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Meritsekhmet
Journeyman
Last Login:January 18, 2011, 04:47:40 am

Religion: Eclectic Kemetic with Native American shamanic leanings
TCN ID: merisekhmet

Anpu made me do it.

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 27, 2007, 04:20:41 am »

Do you prefer ceremonial magick with all the bells and whistles or do you go more along the lines of intrinsic or inner magick? How about the so-called kitchen witches? How would you describe your ‘style’?

Ritual magick and I, don't mix.  I'm a disorganized person by nature and putting me in a super organized situation like that just leaves me feeling unhinged.  And I for one cannot do magick if I'm that far out of my element.  I prefer to draw on my own intrinsic magick if I do any magick at all.  I just feel like it's coming from a more meaningful place for myself and my workings.

Speaking of which, I must purify my new altar stuff before bed. Smiley

Dork of Massive Proportions
MagickGremlin
Last Login:April 02, 2008, 03:02:58 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 29, 2007, 05:23:19 am »

I know most of us don’t fit into one category in regards to how we choose to do our workings but I’d really like to hear about other people’s ‘style’, if you could call it that. Do you prefer ceremonial magick with all the bells and whistles or do you go more along the lines of intrinsic or inner magick? How about the so-called kitchen witches? How would you describe your ‘style’? How do those who follow nature magick go about their business? Or how about shamanism or alchemy? I’d love to have different points of view.

I like a little bit of everything. I don't follow any set of rules really. For instance, if I'm crafting a candle spell, one day I may feel it needs a spicific color and a week later for a similar spell I may feel the color is unimportant. Some days I feel like creating complicated spells that require a scavenger hunt for the ingrediants/items. And some days I just make up a simple rhyme and the words/thought is enough.

Lately my favorite thing to do is craft charm spells. At the moment I'm working on charmed bracelets to curb swearing (a co-worker requested it, now my father wants one, and I decided I could use one too, lol) But I can't think of a lable for my style, to me its just witchcraft.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 29, 2007, 05:38:11 pm »

Lately my favorite thing to do is craft charm spells. At the moment I'm working on charmed bracelets to curb swearing (a co-worker requested it, now my father wants one, and I decided I could use one too, lol) But I can't think of a lable for my style, to me its just witchcraft.

I need one of those.  Cheesy

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
MagickGremlin
Last Login:April 02, 2008, 03:02:58 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 30, 2007, 12:20:11 am »

I need one of those.  Cheesy

This is what I have so far for the spell
1) Make, buy, or use a bracelet you all ready have (I'm making thin, red "friendship" style bracelets).

2) In a bowl, cover the bracelet with the pureifier of you choice (water, salt, or sand for example) and let it sit for an hour or so, depending on the vibes you get from the bracelet.

3) Physicaly clean it with soap and water (unless it will ruin it).

4) Hang it securely out side to dry, and to fill it with the essance of wind/air, over night.

5) In the morning place it on your alter or hold it in your hand and charge it with a purpose.

I haven't come up with a chant for it yet. I like making up short, rhyming chants to help me focus when spell casting.
If you'd like, I'll post it when I come up with one.
mauvedragon
Apprentice
Last Login:August 30, 2007, 09:57:12 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Christian Heretic and Pagan

Hokmah's daughter

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 30, 2007, 09:52:36 pm »

I have little interest in ceremonial magic. I'm learning energy work and have a preference for talisman magic usually attached to jewellery, or magic that relates to arts and crafts. In more a more mundane context, I make cord and I sew when I have the time. I'm currently interested in learning about knot magic because I can make the cord from scratch then make the knots as part of the whole process.

Someday I must read this scholar Everyone….He seems to have written so much, all of it wrong. – the Emperor Mage, Tamora Pierce
Oakoftheforest
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 17, 2007, 02:11:25 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Paganism- Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: September 01, 2007, 09:46:40 am »

Im replying to the original question here...

Im not too keen on ritual, but then again i havent tried it much. Any magick that i practice, i try to keep on a deeply spiritual level. I meditate, and through this i try to achieve things. I am a big believer in divination, I have a new friend in grece who was taught a lot by her grandmother, i sent her an image of my hand via msn and she read it extremely well. I was sure that i hadnt told her all the things about my past which she summed up for my, and from my palm she told me the same sort of results as i found when reading my tarot cards.

I also believe in harnessing energies and the powers of nature, trees, flowers, stones and crystals. I am reading a fascinating book called "the secret life of plants" and i tried talking to my plants...It might be a coincidence, but those who i adress and encourage to grow actually do seem to grow much better than those i pay little attention to.

Thats all i can think of at the moment  Smiley
GordianOwl
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 30, 2011, 03:41:46 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: not at all sure

currently in lurk mode

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: September 01, 2007, 12:38:46 pm »

How would you describe your ‘style’?

I mainly use energy work, i.e. I raise energy, give it a "task", and release it. Sometimes I write short chants/spells to accompany this, but most of the time I just improvise.

Also, crafting things like bracelets, Talismans etc. is an almost magical act for me, if not even a ritual in itself. The borders become quite blurred there.
In crafting I like using stones, but I don't strictly adhere to correspondences; if they are contradictory to what I'm feeling a certain stone may be good/right for, I tend to ignore them; I only use them as a guide towards what could be adequate for a certain purpose.

I don't like ceremonial magic with all the bells and whistles;  if I actually plan a spell in advance I keep it as simple as possible, because having to remember what I'm supposed to do how and when distracts me and generally makes me feel weird.

I clearly distinguish worship/prayer and magic. For me, magic is a tool that has nothing to do with religion. (That's why IMHO many of the fluffy practices of teenagers could be avoided if they weren't told you had to be Wiccan to practice magic, but that's just my personal view and Off Topic, sorry).

Owl
WRaven
Last Login:September 14, 2007, 07:19:16 pm

One Path, One Voice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: September 01, 2007, 06:35:28 pm »

Do you prefer ceremonial magick with all the bells and whistles or do you go more along the lines of intrinsic or inner magick? How about the so-called kitchen witches? How would you describe your ‘style’? How do those who follow nature magick go about their business? Or how about shamanism or alchemy? I’d love to have different points of view.

My 'style' of magick is really direct energy work.  By that I mean I just use it like any other talent or skill.  I have been know to make use of some of the bells and whistles, but it is quite rare over the last few years.  For the most part, magick is part of my daily life.  If I want or need something that requires magick (or can be helped by it), I do what I must to get it done.  Though the 'tools' of the craft can be helpful, I do not require them to work my magick.  Of course, I have found it very advisable to work within the bounds of nature when possible.  Why fight the current when you want to travel downstream? 

On a side note, I recently developed an interest in using my magick in the kitchen but have little experience with it. 

Forever in Service,
WRaven

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)