The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2020, 05:57:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2020, 05:57:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gratitude, Obligation, Sacrifice: A Triad for Magical Practice  (Read 9184 times)
CaelumRainieri
Apprentice
Last Login:June 15, 2008, 11:48:59 am
United States United States

Religion: Aztec Reconstructionism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 25, 2007, 06:35:09 pm »

This following is a short essay that I wrote a couple of months ago as an instruction piece for people who want to get a better grip on how they can develop a successful magical practice. I don't present it as the only way to approach magical workings, but I do know that it works; both from long personal experience and from hearing about the experiences of others who have adopted it. There is one caveat, however. It does require a belief in the reincarnation of the soul, and in the existence of gods, demi-gods, and other spiritual entities. If your belief system rejects those concepts, then this piece probably won't be of any value to you.

--------------------------------
Gratitude, Obligation, Sacrifice: A Triad for Magical Practice

By Caelum Rainieri

Imagine hooking up a set of jumper cables to a live car battery. Click the ends together and they spark. As long as both ends of the cable are connected, a live battery will transfer its power to a dead battery, bringing it back to life. The polarities of the battery can represent the physical plane, and the ethereal plane. The spark that occurs when the two connect is the equivalent of magical power. How to connect the two planes with intention is the basis of magical knowledge.

I have found that there are three required states of mind when initiating a magical act. The first is Gratitude.

Gratitude, in a magical sense, means being aware that there are forces and beings around you who love you, and who stand ready to guide, protect, and instruct you once you open yourself up to them. They may be your ancestors, or totem animals, or spirit guides, or they may be more elemental than that. You certainly have shared past lives with them at some point, and out of love and compassion, they have remained with you, ready to assist once you are open to receive. Being grateful restores the openness that most of us have lost as adults.

With gratitude comes a sense of obligation. Once you recognize that you are receiving aid, love, knowledge, and power from your unseen allies, you must acknowledge your debt to them. Without acknowledgment, debts accumulate, creating a burden that weighs you down, robbing you of energy and weakening your ability to influence your environment, and manifest your desires. Acknowledging what you owe is vital to the process of freeing yourself from the crushing burden of unpaid debts.

In the physical world, a debt is repaid through an exchange of value, such as with money, or through a trade of services or property. In the ethereal world, a debt is repaid through sacrifice. A suitable sacrifice must cost you something. As an example, you might leave out food and water for the wildlife in your neighborhood, or pick up trash along a public beach. You could donate money to an animal welfare organization, or build and maintain an altar to a patron deity. Giving something back is the least that you can do for all of those entities, seen and unseen, who tirelessly assist you on a daily basis. It also serves to remind you of how grateful you are for what you have and to whom you are obligated.

The magical universe is a perpetually mysterious place. Like the physical universe, it represents a great unknown. When faced with such a mystery, you cannot err by observing it with gratitude, recognizing your obligation to it for sustaining you, and giving something back through sacrifice.

"We eat the gods, and the gods eat us" - David Carrasco, "City of Violence"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 25, 2007, 10:29:36 pm »

Exactly. Smiley You definitely can't go wrong, and you always need to realize that things don't just *happen*. Some force (even if you reject the concept of deities and simply believe it to be your own magical energy) is required to make things happen. We need to acknowledge that force as having an effect in our lives.

Honestly, it always drives me nuts when people treat God as a "great universal vending machine". They ignore God, until they need something. Then, as soon as their prayers are answered, they might say a quick "thank you" and then they go back to ignoring God again. Relationships do not work that way!! When you work with the Gods you are building a relationship and that requires dedication and sacrifice from all parties involved to make it work! It is well worth the effort, and I find the work required to be rewarding in and of itself.

CaelumRainieri
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 25, 2007, 11:31:31 pm »

Honestly, it always drives me nuts when people treat God as a "great universal vending machine". They ignore God, until they need something. Then, as soon as their prayers are answered, they might say a quick "thank you" and then they go back to ignoring God again. Relationships do not work that way!!

I know exactly what you mean. You might get a kick out of this rant I posted at my Live Journal site on that very topic. At the time I wrote it, I had had it up to HERE with people expecting/demanding quick solutions from the universe:

http://caelum-rainieri.livejournal.com/6788.html

Breeze
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2007, 01:46:24 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 26, 2007, 08:07:01 am »

You might get a kick out of this rant I posted at my Live Journal site on that very topic. At the time I wrote it, I had had it up to HERE with people expecting/demanding quick solutions from the universe:

What a GREAT "rant" ... magic is indeed the seasoning, as you put it.  Was a little surprised that it was such a short rant (usually they tend to go on forever), but very much to the point!   Wink
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 08:40:02 am by RandallS, Reason: Quote BBCode Ended » Logged
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: August 26, 2007, 08:44:45 am »

It does require a belief in the reincarnation of the soul, and in the existence of gods, demi-gods, and other spiritual entities.

I think it also requires a belief that magic comes from external sources (e.g. spiritual entities) rather than being something one accomplishes through the force of one's own Will. What you describe is more what I think of as prayer than as magic, but your essay is a good fit into what I see prayer needing to be its most effective.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 26, 2007, 09:03:14 am »

What a GREAT "rant" ... magic is indeed the seasoning, as you put it.  Was a little surprised that it was such a short rant (usually they tend to go on forever), but very much to the point!   Wink

Yep!! In fact, I rarely use magic. I use prayer, but I don't consider that "magic" in the strictest sense of the term. I spend my life building relationships with my deities, and when it becomes necessary to use magic I'm making sure I'm doing everything "mundane" that I can to fix the problem too.

CaelumRainieri
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 26, 2007, 10:53:28 am »

I think it also requires a belief that magic comes from external sources (e.g. spiritual entities) rather than being something one accomplishes through the force of one's own Will. What you describe is more what I think of as prayer than as magic, but your essay is a good fit into what I see prayer needing to be its most effective.

I view prayer and magic as having a lot in common. Both require a state of elevated emotions. Both benefit from a visualization of the desired outcome. Both enlist the help of an ally or deity. Magic goes further by adding elemental correspondences, invoking certain esoteric properties (or Laws), and so on.

The brief essay that I posted on the Triad for magical practice is a preliminary framework for an actual magical operation. I left that part open because there are so many different ways to go about it. On the other hand, I think that the power of the magical techniques employed are diminished if the Triad isn't implemented beforehand. I'm only speaking from my own experience, of course. Your mileage may vary.

CaelumRainieri
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 26, 2007, 10:56:59 am »

Thanks! Like yourself, I think the ability to be succinct and still get your point across is rapidly becoming a lost art. :-)

CaelumRainieri
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 26, 2007, 11:03:25 am »

Yep!! In fact, I rarely use magic. I use prayer, but I don't consider that "magic" in the strictest sense of the term. I spend my life building relationships with my deities, and when it becomes necessary to use magic I'm making sure I'm doing everything "mundane" that I can to fix the problem too.

We definitely think alike when it comes to this topic. The Triad essay was actually the second in a series.The first one  that I wrote was called "To Act, and be Silent", and it addressed the practical necessity for someone to act mundanely to fix the problem at hand. You can read it here: http://caelum-rainieri.livejournal.com/8005.html

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: August 26, 2007, 05:25:13 pm »

I view prayer and magic as having a lot in common. Both require a state of elevated emotions. Both benefit from a visualization of the desired outcome. Both enlist the help of an ally or deity. Magic goes further by adding elemental correspondences, invoking certain esoteric properties (or Laws), and so on.

I'm one of those who sees magic and prayer as generally completely separate things. With prayer, I'm asking a deity to do something for me. My emotional state really doesn't matter much, not do I need to be able to visualize the result (in fact, I don't even need to know what the result should be in some days) as I can leave all of that up to the deity or deities I am requesting aid from.  With magic, I am directly trying to impose my Will on reality -- I'm not asking someone else to "make it so," I am "making it so."

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 26, 2007, 05:56:43 pm »

I'm one of those who sees magic and prayer as generally completely separate things. With prayer, I'm asking a deity to do something for me. My emotional state really doesn't matter much, not do I need to be able to visualize the result (in fact, I don't even need to know what the result should be in some days) as I can leave all of that up to the deity or deities I am requesting aid from.  With magic, I am directly trying to impose my Will on reality -- I'm not asking someone else to "make it so," I am "making it so."

This is exactly how I see it. Of course, the line gets rather fuzzy when you start *combining* prayer and magic. But usually, I use prayer or ritualized prayer instead of "straight up magic". Nine times out of ten.

CaelumRainieri
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 26, 2007, 06:03:32 pm »

With magic, I am directly trying to impose my Will on reality -- I'm not asking someone else to "make it so," I am "making it so."

I do see your point. I guess I don't make as much of a distinction between prayer and magic as you do.

Step 1 for both is to act on the problem or issue.
Step 2 for both is to enlist the aid of an ally, ancestor, or deity, saying, in effect, "join me for this effort". And that's where a prayer stops for me.
Magic moves on to step 3, which is adding the influence of power objects, lunar timing, color and herb correspondences, the use of magical tools, trance work, etc.

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #12: August 26, 2007, 06:15:44 pm »

Step 2 for both is to enlist the aid of an ally, ancestor, or deity, saying, in effect, "join me for this effort".

Many of us do not have this step at all when using straight-up magic.  We are using our own will, and often our own power, although there are of course herbal, symbolic, etc. means of increasing the energy available.  It's just that for many of us those 'means' don't include other beings.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 26, 2007, 06:40:23 pm »

I know exactly what you mean. You might get a kick out of this rant I posted at my Live Journal site on that very topic. At the time I wrote it, I had had it up to HERE with people expecting/demanding quick solutions from the universe:

http://caelum-rainieri.livejournal.com/6788.html

That's a wonderful essay!! Thanks for sharing it! Smiley

CaelumRainieri
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 26, 2007, 07:12:17 pm »

Many of us do not have this step at all when using straight-up magic.  We are using our own will, and often our own power, although there are of course herbal, symbolic, etc. means of increasing the energy available.  It's just that for many of us those 'means' don't include other beings.

Absent

Quite true. That's one of the many interesting things about magical workings. They can be done in such a wide variety of ways.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)