The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 29, 2020, 10:04:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2020, 10:04:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gratitude, Obligation, Sacrifice: A Triad for Magical Practice  (Read 7349 times)
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 26, 2007, 07:43:52 pm »

Gratitude, Obligation, Sacrifice: A Triad for Magical Practice

The magical universe is a perpetually mysterious place. Like the physical universe, it represents a great unknown. When faced with such a mystery, you cannot err by observing it with gratitude, recognizing your obligation to it for sustaining you, and giving something back through sacrifice.

Very nice essay. 

I have found that sacrifice is exactly that, a sacrifice. I don't mean saying a morning prayer, or lighting incense at a given time, or setting out meals for the spirits, deities, Gods/Godesses (whatever). To me, that is showing devotion, but that is not a sacrifice. If you listen to what is wanted of you, it will truly be a sacrifice. The best sacrifices are the ones that are hard to make.

Now, I don't mean in an Abraham and Isaac sort of way, but for me it was vegetarianism. Basically I was "called out", on this one.  I was still chowing down on Chili Burgers while I was donating to HSUS, NAVS, and the Jane Goodall Foundation. I was told I needed to respect all living creatures, not just the ones I chose to respect.  That meant giving up meat, including my beloved tacos.

I don't mean this (vegetarianism) was something everyone is supposed to do, this was directed at me, and me alone. So, to honor the great Creator, to show respect for all living creatures I did. And not gradually either, but cold turkey (or should I say cold tofu?)

It was not easy. But I gained the respect of the Creator and my life really changed for the better! The more you do for the spirit world, the more it will do for you.

If more people understood that, I think more prayers would be answered.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 26, 2007, 07:57:52 pm »

I agree, if the sacrifice isn't of something important to you, it's not a true sacrifice. My biggest sacrifice, it seems, was giving myself in service.

Here's an essay I wrote on the subject: http://lovehopeandlife.wordpress.com/2006/11/12/the-value-of-gifts/

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 27, 2007, 07:28:01 am »

I agree, if the sacrifice isn't of something important to you, it's not a true sacrifice. My biggest sacrifice, it seems, was giving myself in service.

Here's an essay I wrote on the subject: http://lovehopeandlife.wordpress.com/2006/11/12/the-value-of-gifts/

Lovely essay, thanks for sharing it with us!

CaelumRainieri
Apprentice
Last Login:June 15, 2008, 11:48:59 am

Religion: Aztec Reconstructionism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 27, 2007, 12:25:22 pm »

Thank you for writing such a heart-felt essay! It was wonderflul!

"We eat the gods, and the gods eat us" - David Carrasco, "City of Violence"
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 27, 2007, 02:39:30 pm »

Thank you for writing such a heart-felt essay! It was wonderflul!

Lovely essay, thanks for sharing it with us!

You're welcome guys, and thanks!

nemesisfirestorm
Master Member
Last Login:March 11, 2008, 07:07:34 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Brighideach Druid (OBOD) and a little bit of witchery thrown in.

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 28, 2007, 03:40:58 pm »

Thank you for sharing that with us.  I've bookmarked it to read again, when I might need reminding of what life is about Smiley

It so eloquently says how I feel about sacrifice of self and about loving and giving.

Mae'r cariad at fy ngwlad yn berwi yn fy ngwaed.

gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: August 31, 2007, 02:56:49 pm »

Here's an essay I wrote on the subject:

Good essay Smiley

I agree with you.  My entire life is service oriented, to a very large degree.  Essentially, in some form or other, 24/7.  THAT is my gift, my tithing, my sacrifice.  The gift of time, the gift of service, the gift of love. 

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: September 23, 2010, 12:33:58 pm »

This following is a short essay that I wrote a couple of months ago as an instruction piece for people who want to get a better grip on how they can develop a successful magical practice.

Beautifully said and very clearly presented! I was thinking alond similar lines today, which is probably why I found this post. Thanks for sharing!  Smiley

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)