The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 23, 2021, 06:16:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2021, 06:16:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Movies that scared the pants off you!  (Read 23950 times)
jazzie
Journeyman
Last Login:August 22, 2007, 01:44:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Eclectic

Yes, my dog DID grow into her ears!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 14, 2007, 07:35:01 am »

Yes, I'm a movie nut and yes, I'm starting ANOTHER movie topic. This time I want to know: What movie scared you (badly).

For me it was Kids. It was released when I was about 13-14 years old. Scared the absolute bejesus out of me! They should show teens this movie in sex ed, I swear, even the boys we watched it with were freaked out. Scary scary, best advertisment for absinence and or condoms I've ever seen. Seriously, it literally frightened me.

Don't laugh, but the first time that I watched Signs I had to let the dog in cos I was home alone and got really freaked out. Every time I've watched it after the first time I can't figure out why I was freaked out. And yet, horror movies don't frighten me all that much. The ones that other people think are "lame" and "not scary at all" because they don't actually show what happens scare me the most. Blair Witch scared the crap out of me because you didn't get to see what was out there and what happened to them. Also, Mothman Prophecies. I NEED to see what's happening not to be freaked out. My imagination frightens me. When I was little I was a freak kid that eventually admitted to my Mum that I really didn't want a night light because being able to see but not properly freaked me out. I had to have a completely dark room, full dark, no shadows, or it took me forever to get to sleep Tongue

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: March 14, 2007, 08:44:20 am »

Yes, I'm a movie nut and yes, I'm starting ANOTHER movie topic. This time I want to know: What movie scared you (badly).

I made the mistake of watching The Ring at home, alone, late at night, in an old house that was a little spooky to begin with, on a big-screen TV.  I was mostly just a little creeped out until the ending... and then after seeing the ending I had to go watch a few episodes of the Simpsons before I could go to bed.

I have a copy of Ringu.  I need to watch it.  Grin

Not many movies really scare the bejeezus out of me, though.  I'm often creeped out, sometimes even for a little bit after the movie's over, but usually I don't have, like, problems sleeping or nightmares or anything like that.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 14, 2007, 10:42:41 am »

I love fellow movie nuts!   Grin

I agree with you on Signs; I was a little shell-shocked afterwards.  I remember seeing it in the theatre, and the part where they're showing the footage in South America or what, and the alien just walks out from the bushes.  I nearly jumped out of my skin because I wan't expecting the film to reveal what the aliens looked like right then.  You're like: "Ack!!!  Wait!  You don't show the alien right now!"

But I didn't have nightmares or anything.  I dunno, but I never really get so freaked out by movies that I'm terrified for a long time afterwards.  I'll be creeped out for a while, or a little nervous, but it passes.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 14, 2007, 11:20:00 am »

Scariest movie I ever saw was the Blob with Steve McQueen.  Of course, I was 6 when I saw it.  But I had nightmares for years.  Hitchcock's the Birds was another one.  The hairs on the back of my neck still rise whenever I see a big flock of starlings.

I can't think of anything I've seen as an adult that really freaked me out.  But then, I don't go to horror movies these days.  Last one I think I saw was Blair Witch, and honestly, I was so rooting for the witch by the end...
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 14, 2007, 02:54:49 pm »

I'll second the Ring nomination (although I first saw it in its American version.  Still a creepy film.  I made sureother people watched it on my advice, just in case).  Grudge 2 scared me.  Japanese version.  The first Japanese Grudge didnt scare me, although it was creepy.  With the second one tho, I kept imagining this creepy little Japanese kid under my bed getting ready to kill me...

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #5: March 14, 2007, 03:30:39 pm »

I'll second the Ring nomination (although I first saw it in its American version.  Still a creepy film.  I made sureother people watched it on my advice, just in case). 

*nods*  I haven't seen the Japanese version yet either, though I've heard it tops the American version.  I have a copy, like I said, I just haven't gotten to viewing it.

Grudge 2 scared me.  Japanese version.  The first Japanese Grudge didnt scare me, although it was creepy.  With the second one tho, I kept imagining this creepy little Japanese kid under my bed getting ready to kill me...

Aaaah, more movies I need to see...  *sigh*  Seen "The Grudge" (i.e. American Sarah Michelle Gellar thing), but haven't seen Ju-On yet.  Much less sequels.  The American Grudge I was creeped out by a little, but not impressed by.

Dark Water is another good Japanese horror flick--though here, finally, I can say I'm talking about the Japanese version and haven't seen the American.  (Yet.  I do plan to just to see how it compares, but don't have high hopes.)  It didn't really get into my head the way The Ring did, but it was really nicely creepy.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 14, 2007, 04:59:45 pm »

<snippage>

"Seven." There must've been 30 of us at a midnight showing (all coworkers), and when it was over we stood in the lobby like a gigantic amoeba, flowing toward the doors and then ebbing back to the safety of the group, asking one another where we could go that was still open at 2am (resort town, off-season, sidewalks roll up at 9--the theater manager opened for *us* at midnight every so often, when there was a flick enough of us wanted to see together) with LOTS OF LIGHTS ON...

"The Exorcist." Nuff said.

I don't usually watch horror flicks of the slasher/gore type, because I have a weak stomach for blood. OTOH, if it's totally over the top to the point of ridiculousness, I'm okay. Go figure. I can watch "From Dusk Till Dawn," but I have a rough time with "Silence of the Lambs."

"Blair Witch" had me curled up in a fetal position in my theatre seat, not breathing.

Can't really think of any more. "Seven" is the film that made me literally scream aloud in the theatre. "Alien" didn't even do that. I jumped, but I didn't scream...

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Guenthecat
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2010, 11:27:22 am

Religion: Folk Pagan??

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 14, 2007, 06:36:31 pm »

*snip*

Don't laugh, but the first time that I watched Signs I had to let the dog in cos I was home alone and got really freaked out.

Well, I personally find most alien movies to be terrfying, so Signs Rocked my World!  I remember jumping up and almost yelling in fear a couple of times during that movie.  It was fantastic!  I love that feeling!

My shameful "scary" movie is ET.  And this explains why I am terrified of alien movies.  I was 3 when I saw that movie and it scared the crap out of me.  *sigh*  I remember my parents giving me an ET doll as a kid and I couldn't even sleep in the same bedroom with it.  Every night it was set outside the door.  But I was too soft spoken to tell my mom that I didn't appreciate the christmas gift.  And a little ashamed that it scared me too, I guess.  Now that I'm older, I really wish I could watch the movie as I remember it being a good movie.  I know I'd enjoy it.  But everytime I try to watch it to "get over my fear" I end up having horrible nightmares again.  *sigh*  Ah well.  My fear makes other alien movies pretty fun, so that's a bonus.

Oh and Blair Witch scared me a bit too.  Mostly because I grew up going on nature walks with my family in our woods.  My dad knew where we were going, but I never did.  And we lived sandwiched between a railroad track and a Highway.  We had a lot of transients show up at our house that were pretty scary. 

And The Town that Dreaded Sundown wasn't the scariest movie I'd ever seen, but it was cause of some interesting scares in my family.  My sister loved having slumber parties at my grandmother's house.  My grandmother's house was the actual house that one of the real life murders took place in from that movie.  My dad made sure that everyone sleeping in that house knew that the Phantom Killer had never been caught.  And he Relished flying out of the attic to scare the pee out of my sister's friends when they were watching that movie.  *shakes head*  And thus the reason I never had a single slumber party at my grandmother's house. 

Guen  ~:)
Olympias
Apprentice
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 03:35:18 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Eclectic pantheist seeker

Come back with your shield, or on it

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 15, 2007, 04:37:22 pm »

The most scared I ever got was watching Seven, particularly the moment when they are dealing with 'Sloth' and what you think is a corpse on the bed for an entire long scene suddenly jerks up.  I was watching it with my brother and we both nearly jumped out of our skins.

The other really scary one was The Ring, but that was more the circumstances than the film.  We were watching this is a big group at uni, and all getting mass-hysterically jumpy, when there was a sudden loud smash of glass breaking... Turned out that just across the way, there had been a break-in where the robbers had smashed in two big windows simultaneously.  But we were pretty freaked out til we found that out.

Olympias

If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: March 15, 2007, 05:30:18 pm »

The first time I watched Signs, I was totally freaked! It was about midnight or so, I was at a friend's house and, even tho the lights were on, I was completely wrapped up in a blanket (head, too!) and had to hold my sleeping boy.  I've seen it since and I must wonder what was so spooky about it the first time I watched it!

There's been other movies that have freaked me out but I can't think of any off the top of my head. And no, I don't have nightmares from watching scary movies, either.

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
phoukamare
Master Member
Last Login:May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 pm

Religion: Irish pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 15, 2007, 08:15:19 pm »

For me it was Exorcist. It came out when I was in college, I avoided seeing it for 2 YEARS, then my MOTHER dragged me to it, saying it was JUST a movie and to grow up. So. I went, and slept in the bathroom with the lights on and the door locked with a rosary (no, I wasn't yet pagan) and the Bible for 2 weeks.

The other movie was Alien...and I walked out of that one when the thing jumped onto the guy's face. I think it was in the first 15 minutes. That was the last time I went to a scary movie.

I REFUSED to see JAWS...and I still haven't.

I do NOT like scary movies......

Phouka
jazzie
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 15, 2007, 11:23:57 pm »

I love fellow movie nuts!   Grin

I agree with you on Signs; I was a little shell-shocked afterwards.  I remember seeing it in the theatre, and the part where they're showing the footage in South America or what, and the alien just walks out from the bushes.  I nearly jumped out of my skin because I wan't expecting the film to reveal what the aliens looked like right then.  You're like: "Ack!!!  Wait!  You don't show the alien right now!"

But I didn't have nightmares or anything.  I dunno, but I never really get so freaked out by movies that I'm terrified for a long time afterwards.  I'll be creeped out for a while, or a little nervous, but it passes.

Oh I know, that particular bit with the alien was the HUGE OMG I'm so freaked out moment. Totally not expected, and entirely creepy! I got goose-bumps and the hair on my arms and back of my neck stood up and I jumped and grabbed the dog. Who also jumped cos she'd been asleep and I'd scared the crap out of her. LOL.

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford
jazzie
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 15, 2007, 11:31:24 pm »

The first time I watched Signs, I was totally freaked! It was about midnight or so, I was at a friend's house and, even tho the lights were on, I was completely wrapped up in a blanket (head, too!) and had to hold my sleeping boy.  I've seen it since and I must wonder what was so spooky about it the first time I watched it!

There's been other movies that have freaked me out but I can't think of any off the top of my head. And no, I don't have nightmares from watching scary movies, either.

I was silly enough to watch it last in my own private movie marathon, and it was somewhere in the middle of the night, and of course, with the lights off. The bit that I mentioned above with the alien still creeps me out, but I can't figure out why it scared me so much the first time either. I don't have nightmares about movies now that I'm older, but when I was a kid? Geez....bad

For me it was Exorcist. It came out when I was in college, I avoided seeing it for 2 YEARS, then my MOTHER dragged me to it, saying it was JUST a movie and to grow up. So. I went, and slept in the bathroom with the lights on and the door locked with a rosary (no, I wasn't yet pagan) and the Bible for 2 weeks.

The other movie was Alien...and I walked out of that one when the thing jumped onto the guy's face. I think it was in the first 15 minutes. That was the last time I went to a scary movie.

I REFUSED to see JAWS...and I still haven't.

I do NOT like scary movies......

Phouka

I tried to watch Poltergeist when I was about ten, and it scared the pants off me! I did not even consider watching another scary movie until I was about fourteen I think, and it was Candyman. I used to hate feeling frightened, but now I love it, it feels great to find a movie that scares my pants off now. I do wish there were more of them though. They show you everything that happens with a lot of movies nowdays, and it's what is implied, the things that you don't get to see, that really scare me. I wish there were more movies that could give me a good scare now.

Oh and btw, I got up the courage to re-watch Poltergeist again, since it scared me so bad I couldn't even remember what it was about. For the time it came out, it's not as lame as I would have expected, although now that it's fifteen years later I didn't find it scary at all. Cheesy

Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: March 16, 2007, 12:20:17 am »

I was silly enough to watch it last in my own private movie marathon, and it was somewhere in the middle of the night, and of course, with the lights off. The bit that I mentioned above with the alien still creeps me out, but I can't figure out why it scared me so much the first time either.

Other movies I remember watching....alone.....late at night....by myself....A couple of the Witchboard and House movies. Then, if my being alone wasn't bad enough, right after the movies were over, I flipped off the lights and tried to go to sleep.  Gods, talk about creeped out for a while!

Oh, and the apartment where I was living at the time?  An old house that had been converted, complete with creaks and groans and pops and snaps!  Shocked

I also remember watching Blair Witch with my then boyfriend.....late at night.....the lights off.....I made him turn it off about half way through so I could go smoke a cigarette and get my brain wrapped back around itself that "it's only a movie. You'll be fine!"

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 16, 2007, 12:48:32 am »

Oh and btw, I got up the courage to re-watch Poltergeist again, since it scared me so bad I couldn't even remember what it was about. For the time it came out, it's not as lame as I would have expected, although now that it's fifteen years later I didn't find it scary at all. Cheesy

I saw that for the first time two years ago and it definitely scared me!  It didn't help that I was visiting my father and he had the very exact same television from the movie at the foot of the guest bed.  Tongue

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)