The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 23, 2021, 06:21:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2021, 06:21:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Movies that scared the pants off you!  (Read 23951 times)
jazzie
Journeyman
Last Login:August 22, 2007, 01:44:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Eclectic

Yes, my dog DID grow into her ears!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 16, 2007, 01:00:33 am »

Other movies I remember watching....alone.....late at night....by myself....A couple of the Witchboard and House movies. Then, if my being alone wasn't bad enough, right after the movies were over, I flipped off the lights and tried to go to sleep.  Gods, talk about creeped out for a while!

Oh, and the apartment where I was living at the time?  An old house that had been converted, complete with creaks and groans and pops and snaps!  Shocked

I also remember watching Blair Witch with my then boyfriend.....late at night.....the lights off.....I made him turn it off about half way through so I could go smoke a cigarette and get my brain wrapped back around itself that "it's only a movie. You'll be fine!"

Heh. You know the part where he is standing in the corner with the beanie on his head and he's wearing a flannelette (sp?) shirt? One of my friends has a very naughty boyfriend who got both her and another of our friends late at night a couple of nights after they watched the movie. He turned off the lights and stood in the corner with his shirt and beanie, and they walked in the front door (on seperate occassions) and both of them just about had a heart attack. Quickly followed by attempts to maim him because "that was so not funny!" according to them. We all laughed our asses off about it though. Definately funny if it's not you walking in the front door.

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: March 16, 2007, 01:18:52 am »

Heh. You know the part where he is standing in the corner with the beanie on his head and he's wearing a flannelette (sp?) shirt? One of my friends has a very naughty boyfriend who got both her and another of our friends late at night a couple of nights after they watched the movie. He turned off the lights and stood in the corner with his shirt and beanie, and they walked in the front door (on seperate occassions) and both of them just about had a heart attack. Quickly followed by attempts to maim him because "that was so not funny!" according to them. We all laughed our asses off about it though. Definately funny if it's not you walking in the front door.

Holy crap!  Shocked I can well imagine the attempted maiming/s that would have followed something like that.  I can also imagine MY reaction if I'd seen somebody do something like what your friend's b/f did. I think I'd have busted a gut laughing at the reaction/s. *nods*

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 16, 2007, 07:31:51 am »

This time I want to know: What movie scared you (badly).

As a lad - The Wizard of Oz.  Flying monkeys give nightmares.  Shocked

I liked Signs as a thriller.  Movies don't frighten me anymore, and so movies intended to frighten don't interest me.

Now I wanna see The Village.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
jazzie
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 16, 2007, 10:16:20 am »

As a lad - The Wizard of Oz.  Flying monkeys give nightmares.  Shocked

I liked Signs as a thriller.  Movies don't frighten me anymore, and so movies intended to frighten don't interest me.

Now I wanna see The Village.

Oh, the wizard of oz just reminded me of one of my big childhood fears! I loved The Labyrinth with David Bowie (still do Tongue), but those freakin red fraggle things scared me silly! I loved the movie so much that I watched it over and over, and even fast forwarding past those things gave me the heebie jeebies, and I'd be kind of looking at the tv sideways and through my fingers trying to guess when it was over. All my friends think I'm silly, but those creepy fraggle things were "disconnecting" bits of their bodies, and they were suggesting taking off her head or her ears and oh!....I'm too worked up. Yes, it still freaks me out, and it's the only scene from the movie I can't quote word for word cos i still can't bear it. I'm such a nut Cheesy

I loved The Village, and yet so many people said they thought it was crap. I honestly don't know why, I thought it was fantastic. I think that the reason all these people were saying it was crap is because before it came out there was sooo much hype about it - people were expecting some kind of mind blowing never before seen extra special fantabulous movie, and it couldn't live up to the hype. That doesn't make it a shit movie, it just means the hype was insane.

I thought Signs and The Village were excellent. Have you seen Lady in the Water? If not, and you do like The Village (or even if you don't) consider watching this one. It's an M. Night Shyamalan movie also, and soon to be added to my collection next to the other two mentioned.

Side note: I'm using the word/s *love* and *loved* far too much. I need to go find a new word to replace these two variations. I'm starting to annoy myself with my own repetativeness Roll Eyes You know you're being a pain when you start to bug yourself. Seriously though, I watch so many movies that the majority of them I just thing eh, it was ok, but all the ones that I think are *special* seem to keep popping up in this thread. Does that mean that I have good taste, or that we all have collective bad taste? (note that I didn't stay serious for too long)

Sorry for the extra long post, as I said, movies just do it for me Grin

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 16, 2007, 11:08:14 am »

Lady in the water is an interesting movie.  It's like the other shalahan sp? movies, with an interesting concept and good execution. Quite good actually.  GOod thing it didn't have the hype of the village.  It couldn't live up to it either.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
jazzie
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 16, 2007, 11:12:40 am »

Lady in the water is an interesting movie.  It's like the other shalahan sp? movies, with an interesting concept and good execution. Quite good actually.  GOod thing it didn't have the hype of the village.  It couldn't live up to it either.

Mmm. I had heard nothing about it - literally. I only picked it up because I watch so many movies that I had watched nearly everything on the new release stand. After I picked it up I noticed that it was Shyamalan, and that sealed the deal. I'm glad there was no hype, because I expected nothing. I agree, the concept was really interesting, and the execution fabulous. I ended up really *invested* in the characters, and really caring what happened to them. I like a movie that does that. Takes you beyond the "just being curious" to actually giving a shit.

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: March 16, 2007, 11:15:47 am »

I loved The Village, and yet so many people said they thought it was crap. I honestly don't know why, I thought it was fantastic. I think that the reason all these people were saying it was crap is because before it came out there was sooo much hype about it - people were expecting some kind of mind blowing never before seen extra special fantabulous movie, and it couldn't live up to the hype. That doesn't make it a shit movie, it just means the hype was insane.
I loved the Village as well.  (It wasn't particularly scary, though.)  I figured out the "big secret" about a third of the way in and spent the rest of the movie wishing I could live there...

M. Night Shyamalan is great.  I've loved every one of his movies that I've seen.  (Still haven't caught The Lady in the Water or Unbreakable.)
jazzie
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: March 16, 2007, 11:23:42 am »

I loved the Village as well.  (It wasn't particularly scary, though.)  I figured out the "big secret" about a third of the way in and spent the rest of the movie wishing I could live there...

M. Night Shyamalan is great.  I've loved every one of his movies that I've seen.  (Still haven't caught The Lady in the Water or Unbreakable.)

Me too. I didn't know that unbreakable was a Shyamalan movie til I just read it. I'm going to go google Shyamalan and see if I'm missing out on more.

(Side note: I appear to be stalking you from one thread to the next. Mwuhahaha! No, it's just coincidence. Really.)

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: March 16, 2007, 11:41:35 am »

(Side note: I appear to be stalking you from one thread to the next. Mwuhahaha! No, it's just coincidence. Really.)
Nah, it's just a movie freak thing.  No worries.   Wink
Sparrow
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2014, 09:01:14 am
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: March 18, 2007, 04:02:43 pm »

I don't recall ever being scared by films about the "supernatural". Its the Psyco killer movies that get me.

I would have to agree with others that "Seven" was the scariest movie I have ever seen. The scene in the basement of the night club flashes into my mind still. In fact it is because of that movie that I refuse to watch that sort of subject matter anymore. I just can't take it  Tongue

About 16 years ago my room mate had a friend who was a police officer. He gave us a tape called "faces of death" and another one that had some "snuff" footage on it. I don't know if it was real, I doubt it was but those movies haunt me to this day. 

I allow myself to watch something "scary" at halloween. Hubby and I have kind of made a habit of watching a scary one for halloween and a sickeningly romantic one for Valentine's. Last year we watched Saw II. not very scary in my opinion. Not compared to the likes of  "Seven".
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 04:05:22 pm by Sparrow, Reason: spelling » Logged
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: March 18, 2007, 04:34:09 pm »

This time I want to know: What movie scared you (badly).

Disclaimer:  I almost never get actually *scared* at movies.  Startled, yes, but generally, if it's fiction, it won't keep me up at night.  Horror novels don't scare me either.  (What will have me sleeping with the light on are those "Mysteries of the Unknown"-type things:  if it's being presented as nonfiction, *that* will creep me out.  I am the world's wussiest folklorist, man.)

That said, The Ring scared the ever-loving crap out of me.  I was watching it with my then-girlfriend at her place; right after the characters and we see the full cursed videotape, the phone rings.  We hit the fricking *ceiling.*  It turned out to be my gf's sister, much bemused at our hyperventilating.  It took *ages* to get over that shock, and i didn't sleep easy until a week had passed.  I saw the Japanese version later, to try and dispel some of the lingering fear, and didn't find it as bad -- maybe the fact that it took place in Japan made it distant enough not to scare me (I was looking at all the pretty sets and scenery).   
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: March 18, 2007, 04:38:17 pm »

I saw the Japanese version later, to try and dispel some of the lingering fear, and didn't find it as bad -- maybe the fact that it took place in Japan made it distant enough not to scare me (I was looking at all the pretty sets and scenery).   

I think after the first time you see it and dont die, you get used to it as being just another scary movie.  When my friend saw it at university (Japanese version), he turned the tv around to face the wall.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #27: March 18, 2007, 05:48:06 pm »

That said, The Ring scared the ever-loving crap out of me.  I was watching it with my then-girlfriend at her place; right after the characters and we see the full cursed videotape, the phone rings.  We hit the fricking *ceiling.*  It turned out to be my gf's sister, much bemused at our hyperventilating.  It took *ages* to get over that shock, and i didn't sleep easy until a week had passed.  I saw the Japanese version later, to try and dispel some of the lingering fear, and didn't find it as bad -- maybe the fact that it took place in Japan made it distant enough not to scare me (I was looking at all the pretty sets and scenery).   

You know what?  Something about the comment about pretty scenery triggered memory.  I think I have seen Ringu and had just forgotten about it.  I think I didn't find it as creepy through most of the movie, and closed my eyes for the critical scene.   Embarrassed  Obviously it didn't make as much of an impression as the English version did, although I suspect some of that is cultural differences, some of it was looking at pretty scenery, and some of it was not letting myself look at That Scene.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: March 19, 2007, 07:35:26 am »

I thought Signs and The Village were excellent. Have you seen Lady in the Water? If not, and you do like The Village (or even if you don't) consider watching this one. It's an M. Night Shyamalan movie also, and soon to be added to my collection next to the other two mentioned.

I was renting Lady in the Water when this thread started.  Grin  And I own Unbreakable.  I think it's his best work.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
jazzie
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: March 19, 2007, 08:19:08 am »

I was renting Lady in the Water when this thread started.  Grin  And I own Unbreakable.  I think it's his best work.

Unbreakable and the Sixth Sense are both on my to buy list, but until it was mentioned here I didn't know that Unbreakable was his. I should have, apparently I want to own everything of his that I have seen Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)