The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 23, 2021, 07:39:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2021, 07:39:19 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Movies that scared the pants off you!  (Read 23953 times)
jazzie
Journeyman
Last Login:August 22, 2007, 01:44:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Eclectic

Yes, my dog DID grow into her ears!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: March 19, 2007, 08:33:03 am »

That said, The Ring scared the ever-loving crap out of me.  I was watching it with my then-girlfriend at her place; right after the characters and we see the full cursed videotape, the phone rings.  We hit the fricking *ceiling.*  It turned out to be my gf's sister, much bemused at our hyperventilating.  It took *ages* to get over that shock, and i didn't sleep easy until a week had passed. 

Heh heh. I was watching Willard (rat themed horror movie) with my little bro and his friend at my mum's house on Saturday night. We were half hour/forty five minutes into the movie and I was at the kitchen table eating my dinner. Little bro went to walk into the kitchen to get a drink and let out a high pitched shriek that sounded something like "waarrrgggghhhnnnn" and clutched at his chest Cheesy Mum leaves the kitchen window open for the cats until they all come in for dinner, and then she closes it. One of the cats had brought a MASSIVE dead rat in through the window and left her "present" on the floor for us to find. Lovely, and so appropriate. I laughed my ass off and he joined in too, a bit sheepishly. Scared the bejeezez out of him.

I'm glad it was already dead, cos I'd taken the foster kittens to mum's house for the night, and no exageration, the rats body was the same size as the kittens are. They're about eight weeks (?) now. That was a darn big rat.

Mum is glad she wasn't there. She has a thing about rats Grin

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #31: March 19, 2007, 10:44:20 am »

I don't actually get scared by movies very often - I own more horror films than most video stores, so I'm a tad desensitized.

When I was a kid I, like Jazzie, was terrified of the Fierys in Labyrinth. Also that creepy old lady with all the junk on her back.

I was also scared spitless by Return to Oz. Good GOD that movie had some disturbing stuff in it! (All the stuff that scared me as a child I tend to love as an adult, so I've been trying to track down a copy for ages now.)

I loathed Signs. I spent the whole movie talking to the screen, "yes, it's still CORN, Mel!" Plus those were possibly the dumbest aliens in history. Actually, to be honest I think I just dislike M. Night Shalalalala's movies in general. The Sixth Sense was okay, but all the rest are... meh. (My sister has a burning hatred for The Village - I never saw it, mostly because it sounded very silly.) Hated the Ring, which is referred to as "the haunted student film" in my house, although I've heard the Japanese original is much better.

In recent memory, I think the only movies I've seen that made me shiver at all were Creep and Session 9. Oh, and Cannibal Holocaust disturbed me because of the poor little animals getting hacked up. (Who kills a turtle? What's a turtle ever done to anyone?) But that's not the same as scary.

The one movie that still freaks me out, though? Jaws. I've seen the opening scene about a million times and it never gets less terrifying for me.

- N
Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: March 19, 2007, 12:42:42 pm »

Yes, I'm a movie nut and yes, I'm starting ANOTHER movie topic. This time I want to know: What movie scared you (badly).

As a kid, it was Invasion of the Bodysnatchers. People who looked like themselves but weren't, that Creepy noise they make when they spotted you and that wonderful/terrible Gotcha! ending on a young and impressionable mind... They get you while you sleep and Everyone needs to sleep, right? Like I needed a reason to avoid bedtime at the age of six?! I don't think so lol.

Poltergeist creeped me out as a teen. I probably shouldn't have watched it alone and in the dark though, especially as I had one of those stupid clowns hanging in the hall outside my bedroom. It's been harder to find truly scary movies as an adult. Most films billed as horror are actually thrillers, exciting but not actually Scary. Silent Hill had one or two scenes that really got to me. I hadn't realized just how much Silent Hill had scared me til we moved to our new house just blocks away from the voluteer fire company. The first week we were here, I was walking up the long dark stairway at 2am when the siren went off... I jumped so high, I scared my dog! lol I do love a good scary movie although nowadays if I really want to scare myself... I watch the news!

Wishing You Laughter
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 12:46:59 pm by Entwife » Logged

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire
jazzie
Journeyman
Last Login:August 22, 2007, 01:44:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Eclectic

Yes, my dog DID grow into her ears!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: March 19, 2007, 09:53:31 pm »

In recent memory, I think the only movies I've seen that made me shiver at all were Creep and Session 9. Oh, and Cannibal Holocaust disturbed me because of the poor little animals getting hacked up. (Who kills a turtle? What's a turtle ever done to anyone?) But that's not the same as scary.

- N

Creep grossed me out. I will reiterate though that its few and far between that a movie will actually frighten me these days. From my participation in the thread you would think that I was a regular "movies scare me all the time person", but keep in mind that I am a movie junkie, so considering the amount of movies that I have watched, basically nothing scares me anymore.

I was bitching to my brother after watching Willard that it seems like "all" (not literally, just what it seems like lately) horror movies have to start by killing an animal before a human bites it. Pisses me off. Just so happened that the poor little cat Scully got killed first in Willard, and the movie I watched after that was Dog Soldiers - a dog got shot in the opening scene. Just my own personal pet hate.

Poltergeist creeped me out as a teen. I probably shouldn't have watched it alone and in the dark though, especially as I had one of those stupid clowns hanging in the hall outside my bedroom.

I was scared s**tless of clowns when I was younger, a little less so as a teen, and I still don't like them now. Hence, I haven't even considered watching Stephen Kings "It". I've read the book, but that was only last year, and that was different anyway. I think I might have to rent some more weeklies tomorrow and be brave and watch It. I bet it'll scare the poop out of me.

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford
violentsound
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #34: March 20, 2007, 01:53:22 am »

Fake animal deaths don't bother me (good lord I loved Dog Soldiers) but the ones in Cannibal Holocaust were real and that just... yeah. Not cool. I'm not a vegetarian or anything, but it disturbed me plenty. (There is a version of the film released with the animal cruelty cut out, I've been told.)

I was scared s**tless of clowns when I was younger, a little less so as a teen, and I still don't like them now.

It is scary only because of Tim Curry. Because, well. Tim Curry. The man is just evil. But aside from him it's pretty bad.

Most disturbing clown movie I've seen in a while? Fear of Clowns. Not because it's well-done (it's not) and not because it's very gory, but because the clown runs around shirtless the whole movie. I dunno, it's just.... unnatural to see a half-nekkid, totally-ripped CLOWN.

- N
*afraid of clowns, birds and horses.... so a clown on a pegasus = TERROR!*
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: March 20, 2007, 03:22:30 pm »

Oh man, I guess I have to make an update to what I said earlier.  Just saw The Exorcist for the first time... yiii!  Creeptacular! 

I think the scariest part was when she spider-walked down the stairs backwards, dripping all that blood...  Shocked

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
violentsound
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #36: March 20, 2007, 04:10:52 pm »

The Exorcist was not allowed in my house growing up - my mother saw it when it first came out and she couldn't sleep with the lights off for seven months. I rented it and watched it at a friend's house when I was a teenager and thought it was good, but not like, "wow."

I went to the theatrical re-release, however, and it was waaaaaaaaaaaaay more frightening in the theatre. I could finally understand why my mom was so freaked out by it.

And yeah, the spider-walk is awesome. My sister thinks the scariest part is just where Reagen is getting slammed around on the bed because, as she puts it, "that looks like it could actually happen."

- N
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: March 20, 2007, 10:17:12 pm »

As a comment back to the M night movies, he wrote the screenplay for Stuart Little.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: March 24, 2007, 02:14:41 pm »

Fake animal deaths don't bother me (good lord I loved Dog Soldiers)

Dog Soldiers is my favourite werewolf movie, and we have an extensive collection.  Grin

As a kid I was terrified of Poltergeist

Recently, I found The Hills Have Eyes really disturbing. I get more freaked out by grotesque stuff than other scary things; the imagery stays with me longer. I flat-out refuse to be in the room if any of the Hellraiser movies are being shown.

Blair Witch scared me the first time I watched it. I lived in Maryland for 3 years as a kid, and the movie legend actually reminded me of the sorts of woods-scaries the kids there used to tell each other stories about. (The description of the woman with horse hair on her body made my blood run cold.)

The second time I watched it, I just got annoyed with the characters for being so stupid. Ward your camp! A ring of fire will do nicely. Sing all night if you have to; evil things hate that. And for crissakes burn or bury the stick figures, don't just leave them there!  Come on, be proactive people!  Quit feeding fear to the evil entity.

Betty  Smiley
Lunaheart
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 06, 2011, 02:00:41 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: March 24, 2007, 03:03:39 pm »

The Ring was good but The Grudge messed me up!

Yes, I'm a movie nut and yes, I'm starting ANOTHER movie topic. This time I want to know: What movie scared you (badly).

For me it was Kids. It was released when I was about 13-14 years old. Scared the absolute bejesus out of me! They should show teens this movie in sex ed, I swear, even the boys we watched it with were freaked out. Scary scary, best advertisment for absinence and or condoms I've ever seen. Seriously, it literally frightened me.

Don't laugh, but the first time that I watched Signs I had to let the dog in cos I was home alone and got really freaked out. Every time I've watched it after the first time I can't figure out why I was freaked out. And yet, horror movies don't frighten me all that much. The ones that other people think are "lame" and "not scary at all" because they don't actually show what happens scare me the most. Blair Witch scared the crap out of me because you didn't get to see what was out there and what happened to them. Also, Mothman Prophecies. I NEED to see what's happening not to be freaked out. My imagination frightens me. When I was little I was a freak kid that eventually admitted to my Mum that I really didn't want a night light because being able to see but not properly freaked me out. I had to have a completely dark room, full dark, no shadows, or it took me forever to get to sleep Tongue
Lunaheart
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 06, 2011, 02:00:41 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: March 24, 2007, 03:07:53 pm »

I have seen that and I was rather surprised that it was that good based on the lame description that Comcast had given it. My bf picked it out, I think when it was on PPV.

Have you seen Lady in the Water?
Rose_Morningstar
Apprentice
Last Login:November 23, 2007, 01:47:13 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Constantly changing. The only thing that stays the same is my belief that all religions are valid.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: March 25, 2007, 04:19:46 pm »

Since I've been dating my current boyfriend, he's gotten me totally addicted to horror movies. Here are a few of my faves:

The Exorcism of Emily Rose was maybe the most frightening movie I've ever seen. Just... wow. Not something I would EVER watch alone. Barely something I can THINK about alone.

The Shining scared the bejeezus out of me the first time I saw it, but now it's just my second-favourite movie ever. I know it so well that it doesn't scare me nearly as much anymore.

Saw I and II rocked my socks. Loved 'em. Gave me the creeps like mad, but no real "scares". Can't wait to see the third (my boyfriend hasn't been home from university much lately, so we haven't gotten the chance to sit down and watch it together).

Silent Hill was fabulous, and fabulously terrifying... but the ending made me cry so much that I don't know if I will ever watch the movie again.

Hostel was gory, disgusting, and totally plotless. That said, if you want 2 hours of constant chills, that'll do it for you Wink

House of Wax was kinda cool... really interesting idea, and well-carried-out by everyone except Paris Hilton. Redeemed by the fact that she dies in a very interesting way... in her underwear of course.

If I think of any more I'll mention them Tongue

All the sun long it was running, it was lovely, the hay
Fields high as the house, the tunes from the chimneys, it was air
And playing, lovely and watery
And fire green as grass,
And nightly under the simple stars
As I rode to sleep the owls were bearing the farm away,
All the moon long I heard, blessed among the stables, the nightjars
Flying with the ricks, and the horses
Flashing into the dark.

~From "Fern Hill" by Dylan Thomas
Spangleburt
Apprentice
Last Login:March 25, 2010, 08:46:52 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: March 25, 2007, 08:01:45 pm »

Bizarrely enough, the western version of the grudge scared me. I haven't seen the original version or either version of part 2.

Ringu (well, it was just called Ring, but not THE Ring) was pretty freaky for me, as was part 2. The books are great too, titled Ring, Spiral, and Loop. The first two are great, it's very sci-fi and less horror than the films. Can't wait to read Loop, it's the only one I haven't yet.

When I'm alone and it's dark I sometimes scare myself by imagining the wierd croaking.creaking noise from The Grudge, eeep. As for Ring, I eventually became desensitised to it and considered a prank involving taping the cursed video in the middle of someone's favourite film (after making a backup first, I'm not THAT mean). I never did it though, it just seemed needlessly nasty, even for a prank. Not that I actually play tricks on people, it's just fun figuring out how to do so, kinda like a mental challenge Cheesy

After Poltergeist and IT, I can't stand toy clowns. Real ones are ok (well, unless they appear out of nowhere and have pointy teeth), but toy ones are freaky, especially if they're nearly life sized.

"The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls." -Simon and Garfunkel

Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #43: March 25, 2007, 10:08:04 pm »

House of Wax was kinda cool... really interesting idea, and well-carried-out by everyone except Paris Hilton. Redeemed by the fact that she dies in a very interesting way... in her underwear of course.

That movie was totally ruined for me when the kids were trying to escape the melting wax house by running upstairs.  The running-upstairs-and-trapping-yourself cliche is bad enough, but when the house is on fire and melting?  Go outside!  *grumble*

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #44: March 26, 2007, 08:19:33 am »

That movie was totally ruined for me when the kids were trying to escape the melting wax house by running upstairs.  The running-upstairs-and-trapping-yourself cliche is bad enough, but when the house is on fire and melting?  Go outside!  *grumble*

Ahh, yes. Common sense. The bugaboo of an entire subgenre of horror. You're camping in the woods with a bunch of people, only to discover that you share the woods with a ax murderer. Which do you do:

a) gather a lot of wood as a group, then build up the fire and stay around it all night armed with the biggest sticks you can wield (or better weapons if someone has any)  If the ax guy shows up and is stupid enough to attack, you gang up on him with those big sticks.

b) split up and go off individually in the dark to look for the guy with the ax?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)