The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 17, 2021, 03:58:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2021, 03:58:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Greek fires reach ancient Olympics site  (Read 13370 times)
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 27, 2007, 12:26:46 am »

Insert flailing madly and crying emoticon here. Cry

ANCIENT OLYMPIA, Greece - Firefighters backed by aircraft dropped water and foam on the birthplace of the ancient Olympics Sunday to stop wildfires from burning the 2,800-year-old ruins, one of the most revered sites of antiquity.

But the fires burning for three straight days obliterated vast swathes of the country and the death toll rose by 11 on Sunday to 60. New fires broke out faster than others could be brought under control. Desperate residents appealed through television stations for help from a firefighting service already stretched to the limit and many blamed authorities for leaving them defenseless.

The rest of the article is here: Yahoo! News

I just wanted to post this because I know a number of our numbers are either worshippers of the Greek Gods, honour them, or merely respect them. Its especially sad that people have had to lose their lives over this, as the government suspects its arson from a group wanting to develop the land. Apparently this isn't rare, because the government forbids developing in that area, and I guess people can't take no for an answer.  Angry

According to the article, the ruins of Olympia are safe (for now), but there are fires headed for Temple of Apollo Epikourios.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Glas Cailleach
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 22, 2008, 08:27:02 am
Australia Australia

Religion: bit of This, bit of That

'Be different like us' - 'Hmm no.. I have a life'

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 27, 2007, 12:36:45 am »

ANCIENT OLYMPIA, Greece - Firefighters backed by aircraft dropped water and foam on the birthplace of the ancient Olympics Sunday to stop wildfires from burning the 2,800-year-old ruins, one of the most revered sites of antiquity.

But the fires burning for three straight days obliterated vast swathes of the country and the death toll rose by 11 on Sunday to 60. New fires broke out faster than others could be brought under control. Desperate residents appealed through television stations for help from a firefighting service already stretched to the limit and many blamed authorities for leaving them defenseless.

I just wanted to post this because I know a number of our numbers are either worshippers of the Greek Gods, honour them, or merely respect them. Its especially sad that people have had to lose their lives over this, as the government suspects its arson from a group wanting to develop the land. Apparently this isn't rare, because the government forbids developing in that area, and I guess people can't take no for an answer.  Angry

According to the article, the ruins of Olympia are safe (for now), but there are fires headed for Temple of Apollo Epikourios.

I seen this on the news last night and its just horrible Sad and thought of those on here who worship the Greek Gods...

As for the apparent arson group... its just sickening. Oh how I loath corporations and developers.

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 27, 2007, 06:46:19 am »

If you flip through the slideshow, there appear to be flames in the stadium.  Maybe that was a counter-fire.  BBC said this morning that the stadium was safe.

I would hope the gods have a special treatment for arsonists.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 27, 2007, 08:47:41 am »

I'll be honest, I'm more worried about all the people in the path of these fires than I am the ancient temples. The Gods have Mt Olympus, after all, while many people are losing everything they have -- including for over 50 last I heard -- their lives.

...as the government suspects its arson from a group wanting to develop the land.

If this is what happened, these folks need to lose the land they want to develop, all their money, and spend the rest of their lives rotting in jail.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 03, 2007, 12:34:00 am »

I feel sick about Greece being on fire, if I found out who set all those fires I'd kill them in the slowest most painful way I could imagine.
That's my home you're messing with, ESPECIALLY when they get near Apollo's temples!
Kazer
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 08, 2008, 07:33:55 am
China China

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 07, 2007, 03:23:45 am »

I'll be honest, I'm more worried about all the people in the path of these fires than I am the ancient temples. The Gods have Mt Olympus, after all, while many people are losing everything they have -- including for over 50 last I heard -- their lives.

While I do agree about the Gods and Goddesses, in my opinion that the ruins are much more important then the people, because several people can easily be re bred within a year, while the ruins can never be rebuilt.

So what I'm saying is I value the historical value over the lives. Unless of course it gets to point of, say, 1000 people dyeing, or anywhere close to that. But at this point of 11, I value the ruins much higher.

Life's a witch and then you fly.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #6: September 07, 2007, 05:10:54 am »

in my opinion that the ruins are much more important then the people, because several people can easily be re bred within a year, while the ruins can never be rebuilt.

And if your parents or best friend were among those eleven?  Or you yourself?

It's an easy thing to say, and I was probably that callous myself at fifteen, but the reality and finality of death, the smell of the burning and the sight of the corpses, is not so easy to dismiss if you are there or the people are your own beloveds.

When it comes right down to it, the ruins are just stones and mortar.  They are meaningful for what they represent, not for what they are.  What they represent is unkillable (Ozymandias notwithstanding).

Absent
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 05:16:23 am by Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED) » Logged

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: September 07, 2007, 07:48:38 am »

While I do agree about the Gods and Goddesses, in my opinion that the ruins are much more important then the people, because several people can easily be re bred within a year, while the ruins can never be rebuilt.

So what I'm saying is I value the historical value over the lives. Unless of course it gets to point of, say, 1000 people dyeing, or anywhere close to that. But at this point of 11, I value the ruins much higher.

People can be bred, but it's not the SAME people.  Are you interchangeable with those around you?

Why would it be the same for them?

No one lives in those ruins.  It's heartbreaking to risk having them destroyed, but it's not people's lives and families being destroyed.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: September 07, 2007, 08:33:10 am »

Those same people killed will be rebuilt so they and their families will not suffer ANY effects from their deaths?  I don't think so. I'm sorry, but I've always said that one human life is worth more than all the business profits in the world as all that money can't replace that human life. This goes double or triple for old buildings.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: September 07, 2007, 10:48:42 am »

*Blinks*

Ruins disappear, natural disasters happen. You can put a number of acceptable human losses on this??
I go in a completely different direction. Life is sacred, and everyone is divine. to place the value of an object over a life is just wrong IMO.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 08, 2007, 07:45:56 am »

When it comes right down to it, the ruins are just stones and mortar.

Do stones burn?

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: September 08, 2007, 08:09:33 am »

Do stones burn?

Generally not, especially at "relatively low" temperature of a forest fire, but they can crack and split from the heat. The heat can also cause color changes in some type of rock.

Randall
Kazer
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 08, 2008, 07:33:55 am
China China

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 09, 2007, 04:31:23 am »

And if your parents or best friend were among those eleven?  Or you yourself?

It's an easy thing to say, and I was probably that callous myself at fifteen, but the reality and finality of death, the smell of the burning and the sight of the corpses, is not so easy to dismiss if you are there or the people are your own beloveds.

When it comes right down to it, the ruins are just stones and mortar.  They are meaningful for what they represent, not for what they are.  What they represent is unkillable (Ozymandias notwithstanding).

Absent

(Consider this a reply to all comments made, this post was just what came up first, and I don't want to make a post for each comment, if only because I don't like double/triple/etc posting.)

Sure, I can see that it would be very sad and painful for the people who were friends/family of the killed, but the thing is even if they were people I knew I would overall have the same view. I would be hurt and disbelieving and all, but I know the most important thing, and that is that I don't matter. I won't have any significant affect on anything, ever. Even if I grew up to completely change how the world was, it doesn't matter. The earth is an insignificant speck compared to everything around it, and anything that happens on it, at least now, really doesn't affect much at all. Even in the sense of humanity, in several hundred years those people deaths will be generally unremembered. A statistic.

"Stones and mortar" carry with them history, something that can be used to improve upon the meager existence of humanity, and in due time possibly make it to the point where humanity isn't an insignificant speck. All humans die someday, but stone can last forever.

I'm not sure if this will work, but I just want you to specifically see this so:
Quote from:  RandallS
I agree that businesses are worthless, but thats more along the line of my political views, and not something I care to get into here. But I consider old creations that still survive worth much, as they can teach us about our past, and the fact that they remained so long obviously means there is a reason for it.

And to the comment about natural disaster, that's one thing, but according to news reports, this wasn't natural disaster. This was people trying to make themselves richer, and murder. These people should have to face the consequences of their actions, and if no one dies, the consequences won't be particularly important to them personally. The kind of people who would start the fires in the first place aren't the kind of people to care about ruins or woods, but they may just care about life.

But of course all of this is just my opinion, and being the cynical, horrible person I am, you probably don't like it, though I don't mind discussing really. Smiley

Life's a witch and then you fly.
GordianOwl
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 30, 2011, 03:41:46 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: not at all sure

currently in lurk mode

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 09, 2007, 07:16:47 am »

This was people trying to make themselves richer, and murder. These people should have to face the consequences of their actions, and if no one dies, the consequences won't be particularly important to them personally. The kind of people who would start the fires in the first place aren't the kind of people to care about ruins or woods, but they may just care about life.

I think these people were well aware that they would kill others by starting the fires; IMO, to them their businesses are what the ancient sites are to you... which means they probably think that lifes are insignificant compared to their businesses...
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: September 09, 2007, 08:30:21 am »

But I consider old creations that still survive worth much, as they can teach us about our past, and the fact that they remained so long obviously means there is a reason for it.

I agree, but given a choose between saving an old structure and saving a human life, I'm going to pick the human every time.

Randall

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.