The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 17, 2021, 03:01:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2021, 03:01:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Greek fires reach ancient Olympics site  (Read 13367 times)
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm
United States United States

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 09, 2007, 09:23:46 am »

But of course all of this is just my opinion, and being the cynical, horrible person I am, you probably don't like it, though I don't mind discussing really. Smiley

Actually, I semi-agree with you. I do not agree that human life does not matter, that is not the reason. Humans, while tiny specks in comparison to the vastness of all that is, are still Divine. Think about it: Humans BUILT those ruins; their lives, are imprinted on history, imprinted on our minds, imprinted on the stones on which they worked, on the very ground on which they walked. Insignificant? I think not. True, a long enough time will obliterate all of that, but in their time, and even now, they are great.

However, the reason for my agreeing with you, is that I don't fear death. Death doesn't even make me sad, really. (It used to but not anymore). I see death as merely a transition...a passage to the next phase of eternal life. I see death as something to be celebrated, not mourned. (And before anyone jumps down my throat about this, I do recognize and understand the pain of having a loved one pass on, especially before their time). I want my funeral to be a big-ass party! Grin

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Kazer
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 08, 2008, 07:33:55 am
China China

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 09, 2007, 10:32:48 am »

I want my funeral to be a big-ass party! Grin

I totally want my funeral to be an epic kegger. Only problem is I wouldn't be able to attend. D:

But also, sure, humans are significant to other humans within a certain time frame. But to any life or forces off of Earth, or even too far in the future, humans are entirely insignificant. And even being divine doesn't mean you're particularly important to the entirety of time.

Life's a witch and then you fly.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #17: September 09, 2007, 10:49:43 am »

But also, sure, humans are significant to other humans within a certain time frame. But to any life or forces off of Earth, or even too far in the future, humans are entirely insignificant. And even being divine doesn't mean you're particularly important to the entirety of time.

Point taken, but what makes the ruins any more significant than the humans?  I thought, though I may have misunderstood, the original point was that the ruins were important and the humans weren't.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 09, 2007, 11:31:23 am »

Exactly. And neither are any other races or species or even planets. *starts humming "Dust in the Wind"*

Point taken, but what makes the ruins any more significant than the humans?  I thought, though I may have misunderstood, the original point was that the ruins were important and the humans weren't.

My thoughts exactly. The ruins are more *permanent* than humans, but they are still just tiny specks in the grand scheme of things.

Kazer
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 08, 2008, 07:33:55 am
China China

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 12, 2007, 12:22:03 am »

Yes, but my point is, in the insignificance of humanity, these ruins can possibly end up making us more significant with teaching.

And I never said the humans weren't important, I just said I held the small amount as less important, comparatively. 

Life's a witch and then you fly.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: September 12, 2007, 02:54:07 am »

Yes, but my point is, in the insignificance of humanity, these ruins can possibly end up making us more significant with teaching.

How will those old buildings make us more significant?  We'll always be insignificant.  One day the human race will die out, and those buildings, if they remain, will have no significance at all.  Eventually even our planet will be gone.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: September 12, 2007, 07:10:33 am »

How will those old buildings make us more significant?  We'll always be insignificant.  One day the human race will die out, and those buildings, if they remain, will have no significance at all.  Eventually even our planet will be gone.

You have such an optimistic outlook.

Tongue

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: September 12, 2007, 07:20:11 am »

It's kind of like the poem "Ozymandias", where the person has faded from memory and the works are crumbling and fading. I mean hundreds of years from now, how do we know even our celebrities are remembered, even our relics could be misconstrued, I mean look at Stonehenge.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: September 12, 2007, 07:59:46 am »

If what the ruins teach us is to be inhuman towards each other, I don't want to learn what they offer.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: September 12, 2007, 08:25:50 am »

You have such an optimistic outlook.

Eventually, the whole universe will be gone. And long before it is truly gone, it looks like our little galaxy will be all that we can see -- the expansion of the universe have pushed everything else out of that part of the universe that we can actually observe. Of course, long before that the sun will have swallowed up the Earth when it hits its red giant phase.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #25: September 12, 2007, 10:05:22 am »

How's that?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #26: September 12, 2007, 10:32:18 am »

How's that?

I think Kazer may be trying to get across the point of the “weight of history” and how without a past we may have no truly worthy future.

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #27: September 12, 2007, 10:51:17 am »

I think Kazer may be trying to get across the point of the “weight of history” and how without a past we may have no truly worthy future.

He was talking in terms of significance to things like time and the universe.  I certainly appreciate the point that the past is important, but what you're saying sounds totally different from what he's saying, to me.  Perhaps I'm just not understanding, though.

Besides that, the destruction of the buildings does not equate to the destuction of the past...  I'm sure there are things that would be lost if the buildings were destroyed, true, but it's not like if they're gone what we've learned from them so far is obliterated.  The buildings themselves might not still exist, but our knowledge and records of them would.

And if we go back to people vs buildings, we certainly also have no future without the present.  (Though of course the death of those people doesn't equate to the death of the present either.)

All of which isn't to say the buildings aren't important, either.  Just that I think the human lives need a little more consideration in the equation, that the buildings aren't necessarily the most important thing.

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: September 12, 2007, 12:45:46 pm »

Eventually, the whole universe will be gone. And long before it is truly gone, it looks like our little galaxy will be all that we can see -- the expansion of the universe have pushed everything else out of that part of the universe that we can actually observe. Of course, long before that the sun will have swallowed up the Earth when it hits its red giant phase.

<checks watch>

I still have time for a bowl of ice cream, right?

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #29: September 12, 2007, 01:23:21 pm »

It's kind of like the poem "Ozymandias", where the person has faded from memory and the works are crumbling and fading.

"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair" 

And meanwhile, those works were swallowed up in the sands of time, yet the humans, mighty and otherwise, just keep trucking along.  That sonnet lessened my attachment to physical monuments considerably.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.