The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 17, 2021, 03:40:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2021, 03:40:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Greek fires reach ancient Olympics site  (Read 13368 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #45: September 16, 2007, 09:27:00 am »

Heh, yep! And have they really gotten anywhere with all that? Grin

That depends on your definition of "getting anywhere".  In terms of proving one person/way/theory to be correct, no, I wouldn't imagine they've gotten anywhere, although I'm certainly no expert on the subject.  Debate isn't always about proving oneself correct, though.  There's a lot of learning and understanding one can pick up by debating a point with others who believe differently from oneself without needing to prove one or the other is correct.  Again, I'm no expert, but I would imagine that the philosophers in question have certainly gotten somewhere--probably lots of somewhere--when looked at that way.

And in the end I suspect that's all most of us here are probably doing in this thread.  We're not trying to prove you wrong or scream at you or anything, we're just trying to understand where you're coming from.  Perhaps we're coming off a little strongly, though, I suppose.  That's probably because we disagree with you very strongly--but it doesn't mean we don't think you have the right to your opinion.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #46: September 16, 2007, 05:28:28 pm »

Heh, yep! And have they really gotten anywhere with all that? Grin

That depends on your point of view. I would say things have moved along quite well.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #47: September 17, 2007, 03:22:53 pm »

The thing is, the stones don't teach us anything. They're a reminder for things we already have in our memories. Without someone to point out "these ruins have this significance" they're just meaningless rocks, whereas we can still hold to the memories without the ruins. If aliens were to come to earth now, *we* could tell them about what we as a race have learned. The ruins wouldn't tell them a damned thing.

But would you even remember without the ruins? Let’s expand the concept from just rock and stone to any type of ancient ‘left over’. How much is your memory going to last without the physical proof of book, parchment, or words carved into stone? Even with oral tradition you would forget over time. Most of the information we have about the Greek culture today comes from those ruins. Without them, we may well have forgotten the Greeks even existed.

Now, I’m not saying that the death of those people was not tragic nor am I saying that those ruins are more important than those lost lives, just that they are important...

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #48: September 17, 2007, 03:55:05 pm »

But would you even remember without the ruins?

Yes.  There's plenty of extant documentation on the ruins and the society they represent.

Most of the information we have about the Greek culture today comes from those ruins. Without them, we may well have forgotten the Greeks even existed.

I don't understand how this is relevant to a discussion about a present-day fire as opposed to one several hundred years ago (presumably before the bulk of the research done on and prompted by those ruins was done, or they were documented).  Might we have forgotten the Greeks even existed without the ruins?  We might have--but we didn't have to find out, and here we are today with plenty of information about them at our fingertips, information which is preserved in formats more enduring than paper and which is prolific enough that it would be difficult to destroy it all.  Certainly destroying the ruins themselves will not erase what we have discovered about the ancient Greeks from human memory.

In addition to which, we're not talking about the destruction of all Greek ruins, are we?  Just a specific site, right?  Even if one site is destroyed, we have plenty of others left.

Now, I’m not saying that the death of those people was not tragic nor am I saying that those ruins are more important than those lost lives, just that they are important...

I don't think any of us are saying that they aren't important.  We're just saying that if the choice is between human lives and the destruction of one particular ancient site, we find the loss of the human lives to be the sadder of the two.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #49: September 17, 2007, 05:15:46 pm »

Most of the information we have about the Greek culture today comes from those ruins. Without them, we may well have forgotten the Greeks even existed.

Not really. Most of the information we have about the ancient Greeks comes from their writings and their pottery. Copies of the latter are everywhere (both in the original forms of Greek and in translation) and we find more pottery all the time.

As Star said, however, we aren't saying that the loss of these sites would not be a bad thing, just that we'd mourn the loss of human lives more.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
sashapablo
Board Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:January 19, 2012, 05:37:09 pm

Religion: Hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #50: September 22, 2007, 12:57:22 pm »

But would you even remember without the ruins? Let’s expand the concept from just rock and stone to any type of ancient ‘left over’. How much is your memory going to last without the physical proof of book, parchment, or words carved into stone? Even with oral tradition you would forget over time. Most of the information we have about the Greek culture today comes from those ruins. Without them, we may well have forgotten the Greeks even existed.

The Greeks left plenty of writings. And since there are still plenty of people living in Greece, I doubt we would have forgotten they existed...

The nice thing about ruins is that they usually aren't completely obliterated, unless everything was physically removed from the site. Temples may be the grandest and awesome material remains left, but they do not give us most of our information about Greek culture. Less sexy findings like pot sherds and tools and slag give us way more information about culture as a whole. And any archaeologist knows that it is really difficult to completely destroy pottery--it just keeps breaking into more and more pieces.

Sasha
chugger1
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 29, 2008, 02:36:01 pm

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: September 22, 2007, 02:37:30 pm »

Hey all. 

I remember a Buddhist statue was blown up by (correct me if I am wrong) the Chinese-something maybe to do with Tibet? 

I seem to recall it was the Dalai Lama who said the statue did not matter.  That practicing Buddhism more important.  I am
    not sure I agree with him.  Destruction of culture deliberately is a great crime. 

Natural destruction is different.  I live in Boston area where there is a great old ship the USS Constitution.  If it was ever blown up delerately
     I would feel kicked in the stomach.  However the ship is old and may fall apart sometime...so what...we have our memories. 

Jen M     

sashapablo
Board Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:January 19, 2012, 05:37:09 pm

Religion: Hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #52: September 23, 2007, 12:53:04 pm »

Hey all. 

I remember a Buddhist statue was blown up by (correct me if I am wrong) the Chinese-something maybe to do with Tibet? 

I seem to recall it was the Dalai Lama who said the statue did not matter.  That practicing Buddhism more important.  I am
    not sure I agree with him.  Destruction of culture deliberately is a great crime. 

Are you thinking of the standing Buddhas in Afghanistan that were destroyed by the Taliban?

Sasha
Kazer
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 08, 2008, 07:33:55 am
China China

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #53: September 24, 2007, 02:54:23 am »

Are you thinking of the standing Buddhas in Afghanistan that were destroyed by the Taliban?

Sasha

Just so you know just about every single thing Buddhist/any other religion was destroyed during the Communist take over.

He could be referring to any of that, I dunno know.

Life's a witch and then you fly.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.