The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 14, 2019, 03:59:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2019, 03:59:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Science in Your Religion  (Read 2880 times)
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 14, 2007, 04:19:27 pm »

Unsurprisingly, Quantum Mechanics has raised its head in the Free Will thread running in Philosophy and Metaphysics at the moment. The way it's being applied leads me to ask; are there any particular areas of science, or scientific theorums, that underpin your personal spiritual/religious/philosophic beliefs?

I imagine that this might include theorums that you rely on these beliefs to integrate into your world view or it might be ones that you use to support your beliefs; ones that make your beliefs seem reasonable to you.

Peace

BGMarc

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 14, 2007, 06:13:12 pm »

Unsurprisingly, Quantum Mechanics has raised its head in the Free Will thread running in Philosophy and Metaphysics at the moment.

Well, this is The Cauldron. LOL.

The way it's being applied leads me to ask; are there any particular areas of science, or scientific theorums, that underpin your personal spiritual/religious/philosophic beliefs?

I expect different things of science than I do of religion. In somewhat simplified terms, I look to science to explain how reality works and religion to explain things like the purpose of reality and life. The how things vs the why things.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
magicklynxx
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 18, 2009, 12:36:06 pm

Religion: Pagan

What if?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 15, 2007, 11:29:14 am »

When dealing with magick and science, you tread on a very grey area of pseudo science. I don't think we need science to "prove" that occult phenomena is real, but we definitely need it to understand how the world works, as a starting place.  Science can only explain things so far.  I think, however, that it is possible that as far as we advance in science, the further we can (as in have the potential to) advance in the mysteries of the occult.

~Lecia~

May you ever walk comfortably in the shadows. Neither blinded by the light nor lost in the dark...
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 16, 2007, 08:33:39 am »

are there any particular areas of science, or scientific theorums, that underpin your personal spiritual/religious/philosophic beliefs?

For me, science and religion cross-pollinate regularly; while they are two very different ways of modeling reality, that doesn't mean that they're unrelated. Science (and, increasingly, math) is a constant inspiration in the spiritual work I do.

Some science/math concepts that underpin my beliefs:
--The theory of entropy
--The concept that our reality is the product of the interaction of space, time, and thought (and the related idea that by the act of observing, the observer affects what is being observed)
--The Gaia hypothesis
--The concept that the complex organic molecules from which life got its start, plus much of the Earth's water, were delivered by cometary impacts)
--Current knowledge of stellar lifecycles
--The logarithmic constant e
--The idea that matter and energy are constantly changing form...

Lots more, but those are some of them.

Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 16, 2007, 11:16:03 am »

are there any particular areas of science, or scientific theorums, that underpin your personal spiritual/religious/philosophic beliefs?

I would say the biggest one for me is that matter is simply energy moving at a very low frequency.  I came across this statement in my high school physics book back in 1989.  It surprised me at that time as I had already developed the understanding that energy is real and was learning to work with it.  My understanding of the perception of metaphysical concepts by society at that time was one of, at best, skepticism.  At worst, outright hostility.  To see this statement printed in a high school physics book was revolutionary to my thinking at that point.  From then on, there was no doubt in my mind as to the validity of what I was experiencing. 

Beyond that, Deepak Chopra has some very interesting explanations that bridge the concepts of quantum mechanics, belief/attitude and health.  The books he writes akin to the titles of "X steps to Y" are projects requested by his publisher.  The thicker, longhead books are projects of his own choosing.  Those are the ones with the really intersting explanations.  If anyone wants more information on where to look let me know, I'll ask my wife who has some of his books.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 25, 2009, 04:45:09 pm »

For me, science and religion cross-pollinate regularly; while they are two very different ways of modeling reality, that doesn't mean that they're unrelated. Science (and, increasingly, math) is a constant inspiration in the spiritual work I do.

I tend to find the same thing from my own perspective. Do you think it's important for religion to explain (or at least not contradict) science?

Some science/math concepts that underpin my beliefs:
--The theory of entropy
--The concept that our reality is the product of the interaction of space, time, and thought (and the related idea that by the act of observing, the observer affects what is being observed)
--The Gaia hypothesis
--The concept that the complex organic molecules from which life got its start, plus much of the Earth's water, were delivered by cometary impacts)
--Current knowledge of stellar lifecycles
--The logarithmic constant e
--The idea that matter and energy are constantly changing form...

Gaia and entropy have grabbed my attention previously, but I have no idea of the interesting properties of e (at least not the mathematic constant Smiley). I'd be interested to hear what you have to share.  I'd be interested in science-based references on the interplay of thought with space and time (or spacetime for that matter) if there are any deent references that you can suggest.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 25, 2009, 10:41:41 pm »

I have no idea of the interesting properties of e (at least not the mathematic constant Smiley). I'd be interested to hear what you have to share.

e is second only to pi in its mathematical ubiquity. Like pi, it's a transcendental number (its digits continue without end and without a repeating pattern). It pops up in nature all over the place; for example, the spiral of a nautilus shell (which is often mistakenly ascribed to the golden ratio, phi). And along with pi, e is part of what's considered the most beautiful, elegant equation in all of mathematics, Euler's Identity.

Wikipedia has good entries on e (not to be confused with Einstein's E, for energy), transcendental numbers, and Euler's Identity.

As it happens, I'm currently reading a book titled "e: The Story of a Number," by Eli Maor. Frankly, most of the math is above my haven't-touched-it-since-high-school head, but it's still an interesting (and challenging) read.

For me, pi symbolizes the divine, and e symbolizes the divine manifesting itself materially.

I'd be interested in science-based references on the interplay of thought with space and time (or spacetime for that matter) if there are any deent references that you can suggest.

I can't at the moment. This concept is most prevalent in quantum mechanics, but I only know it in its broadest terms.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)