The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 02, 2021, 06:47:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2021, 06:47:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Healthy living  (Read 6893 times)
Oakoftheforest
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 17, 2007, 02:11:25 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Paganism- Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 29, 2007, 06:15:26 am »

I thought i would start up a post where us regular members can talk about what they do to keep a healthy lifestyle, after realising i couldn't post in the health and medicing thread.

So what do you do to maintain a helthy lifestyle?

Myself, I take a shower every morning after getting up from bed to physically and mentally cleanse myself. Then i go into my bedroom, open a window to get rid of the stale air iun my room and do half an hour of yoga. This helps me to achieve some daily exercise and keep my limbs stretched and healthy. Even thoug some people see yoga as a "laid back" exercise, i find that it is very different.  If I work on your breathing and go through the poses then i find that my heart rate goes up and i begin to sweat a little, so i know its doing me good.

Another thing i do is drink a lot of water, green tea and peppermint tea. These are all healthy for you. Green tea is a natural anti-oxidant and peppermint tea aids digestion. They also taste nice  Cheesy

I try to spend a lot of time outside, in the garden,parks and woods, and avoid going to places like london where the air can feel horribly polluted on some of the main streets.

What about you?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 29, 2007, 09:37:13 am »

Not nearly as much as I should Cheesy

I do spend a lot of time outdoors when it isn't winter, and I've started getting back into taking vitamins. Since late spring I've really been trying to limit fat intake do to blood work that showed high cholesterol and triglycerides (recheck next month, wish me luck).
I really should exercise more, but due to three fractured vertebrae over the last 8 years, and two degenerated discs in my back, pain and stiffness usually prevents me from the desire to exercise.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
GordianOwl
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 30, 2011, 03:41:46 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: not at all sure

currently in lurk mode

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 29, 2007, 09:50:11 am »

So what do you do to maintain a healthy lifestyle?

*bad conscience* Well, I really should do much more than I do.

I also try to drink much water and I recently began taking iron supplements as I'm a vegetarian and was lacking iron.

As for sports, I only do ballroom dancing once a week. And PE at school.

Oh my gods seeing written out how little I actually do gives me shudders. I'll have to work on that!!! Embarrassed

Thanks for reminding me, Oakoftheforest!

Owl
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 29, 2007, 12:09:50 pm »

What about you?

I started walking once or twice a week with a good friend at the beginning of the summer in 2006 - we've kept that up pretty well except for weeks one of us is travelling, or the weather is truly miserable. (Over 90 and humid, or under about 20 degrees if there's any wind.) I love this: it's both good exercise, and it's a really good stress relief for both of us: knowing that I'll have time to vent and process and stuff is actually really helpful.

I drink a lot of water. (People tease me for it, a bit. But hey, is good.) I've almost entirely weaned myself off soda: I was never as heavy a soda drinker as other people, but in the past two years, I've gone from 2-3 cans a day to 2-3 cans a week, and even those taste weird now. (I mostly drink it when I really want the caffeine and don't have another easy source.)

I see an herbalist: this has been one of the best things I've done for my health in years. We're working on a bunch of low-grade but long-term issues, and while it's very much a work in progress (I started in December), I started feeling better in some important ways pretty fast.

I've done a lot of work on food issues in the past two years, and just recently moved back out on my own after living with housemates: re-establishing sane food habits has been remarkably successful, but there's some stuff I'm working on tinkering with now. (Right now, for example, I'm in a 'tracking with an eye to re-evaluating some things' mode for a few more days, then will be looking at some changes.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member
Last Login:March 11, 2008, 07:07:34 am

Religion: Brighideach Druid (OBOD) and a little bit of witchery thrown in.

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 29, 2007, 01:46:57 pm »

Hmm, not enough here either!

I don't get half as much exercise as I should do.  Sometimes I can get in to the routine of going for a two mile run every day, but that only lasts a week or two at a time...  I do go for walks in to the town a couple of times a week if I can (about 2 miles each way), but I could so do more...

I love my teas, all sorts.  I try to drink caffeine free as much as poss, I like green, green with jasmine flowers, nettle, chamomile with rose and lavender.  I never drink any coffee (hate the stuff), and never have milk in any tea (can't stand milk either).

Recently I seem to have become almost vegetarian.  I choose not to eat any meat with most of my meals.  I don't know why, it's just happened over the last few months.  I love homemade soups/stews with beans and pulses etc, so there's not really any need for meat, I get all I need from those.

My son and I take vitamin c for a couple of months during the winter, just for a booster, but we eat quite a lot of fruit and green veg, so again there's not really any need.

I don't take medication if I can help it.  I'm not one of these that will verbally batter a doctor for some antibiotics for a cold they won't even fix!  I don't even take aspirin or paracetamol if I can help it.  I'm of the opinion that if my body hurts it's telling me something is wrong and I need to fix the cause, not mask the pain...  Not that I won't take them when needed, I just prefer to try other things first.

I try to meditate/relax on a daily basis when possible.  Although I struggle with proper meditating, and I find a bath/shower is excellent for mental as well as physical cleansing.

Erm, I think that's it!

Mae'r cariad at fy ngwlad yn berwi yn fy ngwaed.

Oakoftheforest
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 17, 2007, 02:11:25 pm

Religion: Paganism- Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 30, 2007, 10:27:05 am »

I don't take medication if I can help it.  I'm not one of these that will verbally batter a doctor for some antibiotics for a cold they won't even fix!  I don't even take aspirin or paracetamol if I can help it.  I'm of the opinion that if my body hurts it's telling me something is wrong and I need to fix the cause, not mask the pain...  Not that I won't take them when needed, I just prefer to try other things first.
[/quote]

I do agree with you here. I am quite prone to get headaches(I have one right now!)- I think that my head is very sensitive to what the air is like, e.g. before a storm i will get a headache. People tell me that i really should take a paracetomol of something of the sort, but i prefer to drink plenty of water and lie in bed with my eyes closed for a bit. And if its really bad, ill put an ice cube on my head Smiley

I love my teas, all sorts.  I try to drink caffeine free as much as poss, I like green, green with jasmine flowers, nettle, chamomile with rose and lavender. 

I will definately try some more of them flavours, I think that teas are really great for your health- natural ones of course- and without milk.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 30, 2007, 02:59:39 pm »

What about you?

*cries out*

Nothing!

I am a horrible procrastinator. I'll set up stretching exercises for me to do and never do them beyond the second day.

I bus everywhere because I am lazy.

*breaks down*  Cry

.. However, my mom is trying to get me onto some sort of multivitamin. Apparently I get sick alot. According to her, she and my brother will maybe get ONE cold the entire winter. My mom says she hasn't gotten sick in almost 2-3 years?

I get a cold about 3 times in the winter. :\

I should also be taking iron because I am anemic. (Despite my mother's claims to the contrary, I am tired a lot of the time, and consistently pale, despite even getting burned. This summer was the first time I had actually gotten a tan, and thats probably because I was actually eating right while on vacation.)

Its so hard, too. I have a really bad memory, so I can plan to do something (say stretching) in the morning, but by the time its bed time I will have completely forgot about it!

*groans and moans*

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: August 30, 2007, 03:02:03 pm »

I should also be taking iron because I am anemic. (Despite my mother's claims to the contrary, I am tired a lot of the time, and consistently pale, despite even getting burned. This summer was the first time I had actually gotten a tan, and thats probably because I was actually eating right while on vacation.)

Totally non-medical opinion here: you should TOTALLY get on iron.  I've noticed a HUGE difference between myself when I'm taking an iron supplement and when I'm not.  (I also run anemic, regardless of diet).  It makes a HELL of a difference.

I have ENERGY again!  try it, you might too! Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 30, 2007, 03:13:56 pm »

Totally non-medical opinion here: you should TOTALLY get on iron.  I've noticed a HUGE difference between myself when I'm taking an iron supplement and when I'm not.  (I also run anemic, regardless of diet).  It makes a HELL of a difference.

I have ENERGY again!  try it, you might too! Cheesy

I was taking it pretty regularily (thanks to mom) before my operation. But afterwards they put me on this heavy-duty iron pill, and I hadn't been eating really for the last week (morphine so I wasn't really all that hungry, but I had an IV drip). I ended up with intense cramping enough to leave me MORE incapacitated.  Cheesy So I convinced my family doctor to let me stop taking them until I was eating regularily again.

I have mentioned to my mother several times while we were at the pharmacy to GET the iron again (its liquid, tastes metal-ly lol). But I always get that standoffish "Yeah yeah" remark. Gods, that drives me mad when people say that! >< But I figure I'm going to have to take it into my own hands and buy it for myself. Anything to help me during the day, and to fall asleep at night. ^^

Thanks for the advice, HeartShadow. Smiley

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: August 30, 2007, 04:50:49 pm »

Well, my answer in the other thread has changed by now, for a couple of reasons.  Right now, my answer is mostly "rest as I can, not push myself too hard, try to get a shower every couple of days or so, take my vitamins, and make some attempt at eating enough whether it's all healthy food or not".  My new baby daughter is one month old today, and that's kind of pared my healthy-living concerns down to two things:  recovery from childbirth, and doing what I can while learning to care for a newborn.

The other thing is that Hubby has just been diagnosed with chronic kidney failure, which means that his dietary requirements have just gotten major revisions, and we're still learning to balance his needs with mine and adjusting to his new requirements.  (For example, we had been trying to include as many whole grains as possible, and now he's not supposed to eat them at all.  Ditto dried beans.  He has to severely limit his dairy intake.  Many fruits and veggies we'd been thinking of as healthy are too high in potassium or phosphorous.  Etc., etc.)  So that's made healthy eating, er, interesting to say the least.

So, for right now, my healthy living stuff is pretty minimal!  But when things get a little more settled (I hear all you experienced parents out there laughing at me), I'm going to work on making sure that I eat a healthy, balanced diet.  I'm also going to try to go back to walking for exercise, probably half an hour three times a week or so.  I'm already trying to watch my fluid intake to make sure I get plenty of hydration, but I'll work on getting better at drinking more water and less juice, soda, etc.  There isn't much I'm going to be able to do about sleep for a while, but I'll continue to rest while I can.  For relationship and mental health, Hubby and I are going to be sure to schedule evenings here and there where my parents watch the baby (their suggestion, actually, so we're not imposing more than they're inviting here) and we go have a "date night", just the two of us.

At some point I'll work on losing the baby weight (15 lb to get down to pre-pregnancy weight last I checked, and ideally I'd like to go another 5-10 beyond that), but I know that while I'm breastfeeding I have to be careful about that and not try to go too fast with it, so we'll see how that goes.

That's all I can think of for the moment...

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 30, 2007, 07:16:59 pm »

I think that my head is very sensitive to what the air is like, e.g. before a storm i will get a headache.

I will definately try some more of them flavours, I think that teas are really great for your health- natural ones of course- and without milk.

Oh, I so get a headache before a storm.  My cheeks (on the cheekbones) burn up when it's going to be frosty and I can smell when snow is coming, I'm like a walking barometer lol Grin

I get all my teas in good old Tesco Smiley  The green tea with jasmine is really nice, different, but they only do it in loose at the moment, so I had to dig out my Nan's old teapot and my mum bought me a strainer!  The chamomile, lavender and rose is Pukkah Teas, it's nice, but you don't always taste the lavender and rose, which is disappointing.  I'm gonna see if my local healthfood shops do any of them seperately and I'll make up my own blend, because it sounds nice.

nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 30, 2007, 07:28:51 pm »

My new baby daughter is one month old today, and that's kind of pared my healthy-living concerns down to two things:  recovery from childbirth, and doing what I can while learning to care for a newborn.

The other thing is that Hubby has just been diagnosed with chronic kidney failure, which means that his dietary requirements have just gotten major revisions, and we're still learning to balance his needs with mine and adjusting to his new requirements.

At some point I'll work on losing the baby weight (15 lb to get down to pre-pregnancy weight last I checked, and ideally I'd like to go another 5-10 beyond that), but I know that while I'm breastfeeding I have to be careful about that and not try to go too fast with it, so we'll see how that goes.

Congratulations Grin  Yep, everything else kinda goes out the window at that point!

Sorry to hear about your hubby, and I hope you manage to sort out something that suits you both, his diet sounds incredibly difficult to manage, especially if it's cutting out wholegrains and beans, as they are so good for you right now.  Have you tried cooking up a whole batch of stuff for yourself and freezing it?  At least that way you would just be preparing one meal for hubby and re-heating your food.  Don't know if that would help at all?  Also, it's a good habit to get in to for when you're ready to wean your daughter, having a whole batch of homemade stuff to hand is great.  Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here Roll Eyes

Keep breastfeeding.  I lost most of my pregnancy weight from doing that!  The amount of energy you burn feeding your baby is phenomenal, and I always found it best to make sure I had plenty of water to hand because I'd get so thirsty, as if I'd just run 5 miles, every feed time!  Apart from that, just wait until she's a toddler and you're legging it round after her all day Wink

Good luck Smiley

GordianOwl
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 30, 2011, 03:41:46 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: not at all sure

currently in lurk mode

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 31, 2007, 08:37:40 am »

I am a horrible procrastinator. I'll set up stretching exercises for me to do and never do them beyond the second day.

I'm the same. I mean, I really planned to start walking regularly in Summer to improve my health and fitness, but I only did it about twice. Or, actually once, now I come to think of it.

And I wanted to do situps and things like that for my non-existent abdominal muscles. You don't want to know what became of that plan...   Embarrassed

*goes away to eat choclolate to compensate for procrastination guilt*
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 31, 2007, 09:38:00 am »

I'm the same. I mean, I really planned to start walking regularly in Summer to improve my health and fitness, but I only did it about twice. Or, actually once, now I come to think of it.

I've got to say, I didn't take the "Walk with a friend, it helps" stuff seriously until I started doing it.

We'll both guilt each other into doing it if we feel like putting it off. (Our deal is that as long as the weather's manageable, we do *something*, even if we feel really lousy. Walk around two blocks in her neighborhood rather than the 1.5 mile walk round the lake if we have to, but something.) It really has helped maintain the rhythm of remembering to do it.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #14: August 31, 2007, 10:35:29 am »

I've got to say, I didn't take the "Walk with a friend, it helps" stuff seriously until I started doing it.

I'll second that.  I never, ever would've kept up the walking as long as I did if I hadn't had people to walk with.  For me, part of it was what you describe with having someone else to keep you on track (and vice versa) and part of it was just that somewhere in my brain, it became more of a serious commitment when I involved someone else instead of just being all, "Okay, I'm going to do this."

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)