The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 25, 2023, 01:41:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 25, 2023, 01:41:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your path  (Read 7240 times)
Oakoftheforest
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 17, 2007, 02:11:25 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Paganism- Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 29, 2007, 06:40:55 am »

Ok, so i am 17 years old. I suppose, when i think back through the last year or so, my spiritual path os paganism-druidry stemmed off an interest in magick. When i was about 14 or so, i stumbled on an occult magick website and i read through a lot of the material...
"wow!" i thought. "If there are people posting all of this "stuff" on the world wide web about magick it must be kind of true."

And from there, over the past few years or so, ive become much more mature in my approach to magick. I now know that its not conjuring up fireballs into the air, but much more spiritual than that. I  came across wicca, and brought a few books, and eventually found modern druidry.

Although i class myself as trying to train as a bard, ovate and druid would, it is much less obvious than it would have been 2000 years ago. I practice poetry, music and drama in my attempt to build up my bard-lifestyle. I meditate and practice yoga in an attempt to build up an ovate-lifestyle, and i try to be just and wise in my decisions, look back to history and keep the peace to build up a druid-lifestyle. I have not yet delved deeply into magick, but i suppose the interest comes from wicca.

So, what is your chosen path, and how do you weave it into your daily life?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 06:30:56 am by Oakoftheforest » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 29, 2007, 08:51:35 am »

"wow!" i thought. "If there are people posting all of this "stuff" on the world wide web about magick it must be kind of true."

With more than 6 billion people on the planet, you can find large numbers of people who believe just about anything.  There's lots of people who believe the Holocaust never happened.  There are people who think feminists et al caused 9/11.  There are people who think the war in Iraq is going well.  There are people who think America/country of your choice is the Symbol of All That Is Evil.

Numbers aren't much of a guide to the sanity or realism of an idea or belief, alas.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
timesarose
Apprentice
Last Login:August 19, 2008, 03:48:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: pagan-druid

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 29, 2007, 09:52:46 am »

Ok, so i am 15 years old. I suppose, when i think back through the last year or so, my spiritual path os paganism-druidry stemmed off an interest in magick. When i was about 14 or so, i stumbled on an occult magick website and i read through a lot of the material...

And from there, over the past year or so, ive become much more mature in my approach to magick. I now know that its not conjuring up fireballs into the air, but much more spiritual than that. I  came across wicca, and brought a few books, and eventually found modern druidry.

Although i class myself as trying to train as a bard, ovate and druid would, it is much less obvious than it would have been 2000 years ago. I practice poetry, music and drama in my attempt to build up my bard-lifestyle. I meditate and practice yoga in an attempt to build up an ovate-lifestyle, and i try to be just and wise in my decisions, look back to history and keep the peace to build up a druid-lifestyle. I have not yet delved deeply into magick, but i suppose the interest comes from wicca.

So, what is your chosen path, and how do you weave it into your daily life?

since a young age I've loved fantasy, witches, faeries, and such stuff like that

at 14 I told my parents I wanted to be a pagan (and OF COURSE!!!!!) they flipped out
I went into Christianity for a bit only to find I was becoming more depressed by the minute and I didn't believe anything that was given to me

I recently found druidism just like you
i have problems trying to weave it into my life, I try to get in alot of meditating (and while meditating I try to look at life through maybe a hawks eyes, trying to build up my patience and knowledge of the world today for now)

in the time ive found this path (although I feel ive only slightly brushed the surface of it) Ive found that my reasoning on situations in my life are more bearable, my self confidence is boosted as well as my self respect, and I feel i have alot more hope for the future than I ever have knowing now that there is always another way...another door and path that opens when another closes

With more than 6 billion people on the planet, you can find large numbers of people who believe just about anything.  There's lots of people who believe the Holocaust never happened.  There are people who think feminists et al caused 9/11.  There are people who think the war in Iraq is going well.  There are people who think America/country of your choice is the Symbol of All That Is Evil.

Numbers aren't much of a guide to the sanity or realism of an idea or belief, alas.

its true that everyone seems to find anything to believe in, from the most absurd to the most logical, of course I think we cant be judges on how wrong a belief anyone believes in, if it makes them happy and them self a better person then it is a good beleif

religion has such a fine line from truth to murder,
course the only way to know if its the right religion for yourself in my opnion is if it feels right to you, and speaks to you
know one else can make the decision for you

"You're not alone
There is more to this, I know
You can make it out
(Make it out)
You will live to tell
(Live to tell)
You're not alone
(And I know)
You can make it out
You will live to tell.."

Saosin "You're Not Alone"
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 29, 2007, 02:15:51 pm »

its true that everyone seems to find anything to believe in, from the most absurd to the most logical, of course I think we cant be judges on how wrong a belief anyone believes in, if it makes them happy and them self a better person then it is a good beleif

I'm happy to run the risk of being a Bad Person.  I don't think anything is a good belief just because it makes them happy.  Plenty of people believed in the Nazis when they were in power (heck, there are still people walking this earth who believe in them *now*).  Some of these people did monstrous things.  They were *happy* to do these things.  So I think there has to be a tougher requirement than 'makes you happy'.  Some of the folks running Auschwitz believed they were unsung heroes.  I dare say this filled them with self-worth.

Beliefs can justify anything.  A man can beat his wife, without guilt, because his beliefs enable him to.  Others cheat people of money, and enrich themselves.  Some of these do so, with beliefs that make them happy.

Who are we to judge?  We're humans.  We perpetrate evil acts, or suffer them, or both, or witness at the very least.  If we can't judge, than who can?

I'll agree judging is *difficult.*  But that doesn't mean we should give up on it.  It just means we need to think *harder.*

Besides "if it makes them happy and them self a better person then it is a good beleif" is still a judgement.  Afte all, I imagine you're about to tell me the people I've cited aren't making themselves better people.  The thing is, they all believed that they were, in all liklihood.  So that brings us back to the beginning - where we think that some beliefs suck, and are evil, or at least harmful.

Judgement cannot be avoided.  We may as well admit that we're doing it.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: August 29, 2007, 06:08:05 pm »

The problem is people do a lot of very evil things because they personally believe they are right and/or because doing them makes them happy. Most pedophiles believe there is nothing wrong with what they do and it certainly makes them happy. Many people will happy lie, cheat, and steal there way to success and be very happy about it. Fundie Religious types firmly belief that forcing their religious beliefs and (their interpretation of) their religion's moral code on everyone would make the world a better place. Etc.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
timesarose
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 29, 2007, 11:10:30 pm »

I'm happy to run the risk of being a Bad Person.  I don't think anything is a good belief just because it makes them happy.  Plenty of people believed in the Nazis when they were in power (heck, there are still people walking this earth who believe in them *now*).  Some of these people did monstrous things.  They were *happy* to do these things.  So I think there has to be a tougher requirement than 'makes you happy'.  Some of the folks running Auschwitz believed they were unsung heroes.  I dare say this filled them with self-worth.

Beliefs can justify anything.  A man can beat his wife, without guilt, because his beliefs enable him to.  Others cheat people of money, and enrich themselves.  Some of these do so, with beliefs that make them happy.

Who are we to judge?  We're humans.  We perpetrate evil acts, or suffer them, or both, or witness at the very least.  If we can't judge, than who can?

I'll agree judging is *difficult.*  But that doesn't mean we should give up on it.  It just means we need to think *harder.*

Besides "if it makes them happy and them self a better person then it is a good beleif" is still a judgement.  Afte all, I imagine you're about to tell me the people I've cited aren't making themselves better people.  The thing is, they all believed that they were, in all liklihood.  So that brings us back to the beginning - where we think that some beliefs suck, and are evil, or at least harmful.

Judgement cannot be avoided.  We may as well admit that we're doing it.

now you have a very good point, the problem with this topic is that its muh like the tree falling in the forrest question (at least it seems like it to me)
either way doesnt seem right to me, from both points of view we find fault, beleifs are good because they can give poeple hope, and happiness but at the same time they cause death, murder and wars

so whats right?
i personally dont think theres an answer,  its up to the individual
i just started an anthropology class and my teacher is trying to teach us the use of veiwing cultures and poeple without jugdement, as each persons rearing and culture is different

how can someone who was raised from childbirth to know that having many wives is important, think like americans and much of the world do, that its not right (but only in our opinion)

i take back what i said before, there is no right or wrong way in the way to go around beleifs
even when thinking harder...nothing comes to mind?

"You're not alone
You can make it out
(Make it out)
You will live to tell
(Live to tell)
You're not alone
(And I know)
You can make it out
You will live to tell.."

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: August 30, 2007, 04:29:42 am »

At the end of the day, all you can really do at best is live by your beliefs, and try and prevent what you think is wrong.  You may trample on other peoples' beliefs in the process.  It's pretty much inescapable.  I'm not trying to say whether that is right or wrong - but if a nation has laws against honour killings, than it cannot really stop to allow the beliefs of those that believe honour killings are perfectly fine.  Vigilantism is also frowned upon, despite the beliefs of those involved that they are doing the Right Thing.

I'm not sure it's even possible to truly respect all beliefs.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: August 30, 2007, 08:16:42 am »

Not to mention, some beliefs are just plain crackpot.  And some are dangerous.

Respect goes right out the window when someone's beliefs start harming children, f'ex, in my book.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
timesarose
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 30, 2007, 09:56:06 am »

At the end of the day, all you can really do at best is live by your beliefs, and try and prevent what you think is wrong.  You may trample on other peoples' beliefs in the process.  It's pretty much inescapable.  I'm not trying to say whether that is right or wrong - but if a nation has laws against honour killings, than it cannot really stop to allow the beliefs of those that believe honour killings are perfectly fine.  Vigilantism is also frowned upon, despite the beliefs of those involved that they are doing the Right Thing.

i agree, there are so many beleifs and religions may heaad just spins from trying to keep them straight
vigilantism has been around along time though, especially when it comes to churches and preists in the past in europe, and alot of harm came from that
i can see now how hard it is for countries like the U.S. (it seems we always have had a problem with this) to keep religion out of our laws and congress positions, to stop religion from being a key tool in decision making

course i think its needed, to keep religion out of the government, if we dont we'll end up in a  civil war or worse
beleifs have such a fine line in every path and every direction we choose

"You're not alone
You can make it out
(Make it out)
You will live to tell
(Live to tell)
You're not alone
(And I know)
You can make it out
You will live to tell.."

Oakoftheforest
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 17, 2007, 02:11:25 pm

Religion: Paganism- Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 30, 2007, 10:14:58 am »

In the time ive found this path (although I feel ive only slightly brushed the surface of it) Ive found that my reasoning on situations in my life are more bearable, my self confidence is boosted as well as my self respect, and I feel i have alot more hope for the future than I ever have knowing now that there is always another way...another door and path that opens when another closes.
I think that a religion or belief of some sort helps me in this way too. For a while, i tried to not believe in anything, but i soon became rather depressed with my life and i realised that if I want to live a "good"(in my opinion) life with peace etc then i needed a belief system to guide me. I found druidry, but i also found something inside myself, so im quite "eclectic" in my beliefs.
timesarose
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 30, 2007, 11:52:06 pm »

I think that a religion or belief of some sort helps me in this way too. For a while, i tried to not believe in anything, but i soon became rather depressed with my life and i realised that if I want to live a "good"(in my opinion) life with peace etc then i needed a belief system to guide me. I found druidry, but i also found something inside myself, so im quite "eclectic" in my beliefs.

wow you've practically summed up my last 2 years Tongue

its the realization that just clicks in your life, you dont feel so alone, and when everything seems to be falling around you you find it is more bearable to try to fight against the flow and not fall back into oblivion

i went most of my life without relgion, my dad is jewish and mom is greek orthodox (they told us to chooce our religion though)
so we went to temple and mass and such
i didnt care, i didnt beleive it and in sabbath they had free FOOD!!! yummy Smiley

then i found paganism for the first time and irrantionally sprung it on my parents (no a good way to go let me tell yah)
with their request i focused on other things and someone brought me into christianity
didnt like that cause it made me depressed, but this.....there are no words

its different, whole and peaceful

especially with school now, i need peaceful in my frame of mind lol

so how did u guys find the path your on now?Huh?

"You're not alone
You can make it out
(Make it out)
You will live to tell
(Live to tell)
You're not alone
(And I know)
You can make it out
You will live to tell.."

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: August 31, 2007, 03:25:24 am »

so how did u guys find the path your on now?Huh?

These days I'm an atheist.  One day I just stopped trying to convince myself of the existence of Gods and magic, and decided to face a growing realisation within myself that I just didn't believe.  Abandoning the attempt to persuade myself, I lost a burden, and I feel freer and happier for it.  Now, I just try to see the world for what it is.

Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: August 31, 2007, 11:07:58 pm »

Not to mention, some beliefs are just plain crackpot. 

But how do you know just when they become crackpot?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 01, 2007, 12:41:46 am »

When they sound completely unbased in reality.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: September 01, 2007, 07:55:50 am »

I use my own judgment.

Note: I don't really mind if other people think *I* am crackpot, either.  I think even crackpots deserve protection under the law.

But I don't have to respect their beliefs, and I don't expect them to respect mine.  I think that *demanding* respect is .. well, a waste of effort.  If people are gonna see you as crackpot, best way to handle it is to just accept it and go from there.

I'm also a social recluse, your mileage may vary. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)