The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 11, 2022, 04:20:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 11, 2022, 04:20:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: A spare prayer or bit of positive energy would be nice...  (Read 2576 times)
SangreLuna
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 08, 2009, 03:22:42 am
United States United States

Religion: Free-thinking / Open-minded

We all must find our wings...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 30, 2007, 02:20:34 am »

The Short Story: 
College, the one thing I've always wanted to be a part of, starts in 5 days and I won't be going.

The Long Story:
 Where do I start?...Well, during hurricane Katrina my mom and dad became unemployed with four children, myself being one of them. I wasn't too worried about it because we have a fairly large extended family who helped us get back on our feet. Unfortunately, they couldn't fix all the bills that were piling up (though they did help out monetary wise as well). My parents, brother, and sisters recently moved to Indiana, where my dad got an amazing new position that allows my mom to stay at home.

I left for Boston to establish myself, finish the registration and orientation parts of college, and get my apartment in order. My registration went flawlessly, all my scholarships came in properly and, in the days that followed, I became a member of the college co-ed soccer team. It was amazing, especially since I'd only had a season and a half of experience.

Well, I got a call from my mother today. She was in tears. My parents had applied for a countless number of loans - all denied, becuase of lack of stability during the past two years. Katrina aid, federal aid, and scholarships just don't quiet pave the path from my apartment door to the front of the college. I can't apply for loans without a co-signer, I've tried.

Education has always been a big part of my life and I've been counting down the years until college since I was in the fourth grade. Neither of my parents have college degrees, so they were really looking forward to me getting one becuase I wanted it. 

I always knew it was going to be tough to get money for college, but after getting all that I did, I guess I sort of got overly excited about finally getting there. Now, 5 days from my first class, which is Human Anatomy @ 9:10am, I get a call saying its not going to work....I didn't cry on the phone with my mother, because I didn't want her to feel how hurt I was, but since I hung up, I just can't seem to stop.

I know there is always later, but right now everything just seems so pointless.

If you could spare a thought, prayer or a small bit of positive energy, I would greatly appreciate it. It could make a world of difference.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

GordianOwl
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 30, 2011, 03:41:46 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: not at all sure

currently in lurk mode

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 30, 2007, 03:46:52 am »

College, the one thing I've always wanted to be a part of, starts in 5 days and I won't be going.

(((SangreLuna)))

Positive energy and prayers on the way!!!

Owl
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: August 30, 2007, 08:27:42 am »

oh no. Sad

One last idea .. go to the financial aid office at the college and beg.  Sometimes if you've got someone directly to talk to you can get somewhere.

and I'm so sorry.  My thoughts are with you on this.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 30, 2007, 08:50:23 am »

The Short Story: 

{{{{SangreLuna}}}}
I'm really sorry to hear that. I agree with Shadow though, try begging at financial aid. My thoughts are with you.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: August 30, 2007, 11:00:18 am »

One last idea .. go to the financial aid office at the college and beg.  Sometimes if you've got someone directly to talk to you can get somewhere.

That's a really good idea.  Studies have shown that negotiations tend to go more favourably face to face, as opposed to over the phone etc.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:June 20, 2022, 04:12:33 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 30, 2007, 11:25:10 am »

I'm with everyone else: financial aid can be a huge asset here. They have access to resources and ideas that aren't as easy for people outside the field to find, and they can help you try and navigate what you need.

Especially in a case like this, where things are looking up for your family, you may only need a year's worth of assistance to cover extras like living expenses, and so on before loans might be possible again. Colleges often have an extra bit of funding set aside for things like that. They can also put you in touch with community groups who might be able to help.

Is working an option for you? Would it cover some of your expenses? A number of college towns have jobs that can either be combined with studying, or that won't interfere hugely with classes.

As well as talking to financial aid, go talk to your Dean of Students or your class Dean or however your college runs things, and your advisor. The fact you *have* scholarships makes it clear people think you'll do well. The college wants you to be there. There's a lot invested in trying to make it work for you. Make use of that.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
SangreLuna
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 08, 2009, 03:22:42 am

Religion: Free-thinking / Open-minded

We all must find our wings...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 31, 2007, 01:21:45 am »

Thanks for all your support! It means so much more than I can say.

go to the financial aid office at the college and beg

Today was all about the begging, and I think it may be working!!

*runs around and gives everyone REALLY BIG hugs*

They are trying to work out giving me an extra $4,000 to help cover the last bit of my tuition as a specialty scholarship. If they can, I will be able to afford monthly payments. In a way, not being able to get a loan is a blessing. If I do get the extra $4,000, I will be able to complete a year of college debt free, which not many people can say....

Is working an option for you? Would it cover some of your expenses?

I am going to be working. I actually have two interviews scheduled for tomorrow, one is a waitress/hostess position, the other is an after school program leader position. There is no way I would be able to live in Boston and not work, even if I did have a loan. Rent and bills are killer...not to mention wanting to occasionally splerg on a nice evening once a month with my fiance.

GordianOwl
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 30, 2011, 03:41:46 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: not at all sure

currently in lurk mode

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 31, 2007, 08:14:33 am »

I think it may be working!!
They are trying to work out giving me an extra $4,000 to help cover the last bit of my tuition as a specialty scholarship.

That's wonderful news! I really hope it works, I'll cross my fingers!

Owl
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:June 20, 2022, 04:12:33 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 31, 2007, 09:57:58 am »

I am going to be working. I actually have two interviews scheduled for tomorrow, one is a waitress/hostess position, the other is an after school program leader position. There is no way I would be able to live in Boston and not work, even if I did have a loan. Rent and bills are killer...not to mention wanting to occasionally splerg on a nice evening once a month with my fiance.

Oh, yes.

I grew up and went to college in the Boston area. I now live in Minnesota (and love it.) Friends periodically ask me why I haven't thought about moving back, and I say "Two things: Traffic, and rent." They've all gone "Oh. Right." 

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: August 31, 2007, 10:03:22 am »

*runs around and gives everyone REALLY BIG hugs*

Great news! *Keeps fingers crossed and puts you on the list for a candle tonight*

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)