The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 25, 2020, 11:38:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2020, 11:38:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Creativity and your faith  (Read 7690 times)
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 23, 2007, 07:43:46 pm »

How does creativity play a role in your religion?  Has your creativity changed because of your religion?  Or your religion from your creativity?

Is there any interplay at all?

I think my religion, and my devotion to Brigit, gives my creativity direction. I'm working with papercrafts to make some interesting (if basic) pagan art, and I just joined a list for pagan yarn crafts. I also write, though it's been more the creative non-fiction essay sort than poetry these days. I used to write poetry and just got very self-conscious about it. I need to get back in touch with that side of me.

Brigit, though, she can be pushy. The idea for my latest project (which I might try to scan in sometime) popped into my head at work while I was doodling, and didn't let me go for several days, until I had bought the supplies to make the thing. Sometimes I really do have to fight with her to let me attend to the mundane when it needs to be attended to.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: March 29, 2007, 09:42:09 am »

I remember that even when I first started studying mythology (around age 11), I drew pictures of the Gods (not limited to the Greek ones).  In my h.s. art classes, the bulk of my work focused on themes and characters from the myths.  Now that I'm a writer, the Gods have popped up in my stories.  So far, Hekate has appeared in my vampire novels and will probably be featured in the witch novels that are in the works.  As I write more, I'm thinking that more Gods are going to be featured.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 10, 2007, 10:14:24 am »

And then, I learned to dance again, as I had before that first show, before I stepped out onto the stage and heard the clink of coins in baskets on the tables.  I remembered what drew me into the dance to begin with.  Sheer unadulterated pleasure in my own body.

Even when you're performing giving your dance as a "gift" to the audience, it is all consuming.  After all, you have to feel your gift is worth giving.  Then you spends hours, days, and weeks on end perfecting it in a rather OCD sort of way.  Then you start to anticipate what kind of gift would your audience like the best?  What song?  What moves will bring about the most reaction, and the best reactions.

That's why I was good.  I tailored to the trends, the classics, the event - a dancers dancer.  Then I interpreted and made each my own.  I was putting about 60 hours a week into dance.  I became a caricature of myself.

I started there, but found out very quickly, that even if you dance for all the right reasons, there are people who would use you for everything your worth to bolster their own causes.  I got caught up in 'dance scene' wars, unknowingly even, by walking in thinking that there must be someone in the whole mess who "played fair" or didn't go in for the backbiting.  The ones who hang in there the longest aren't the most talented, or the best dancers, but those who accumulate power over others, and are the most determined to hold on regardless of how many they hurt, or how many hurt them.  Eventually it becomes your whole life. 

Pretty much every professional dancer I've come across either has a spouse who has accepted second chair to dance, has had multiple divorces because they refuse to acknowledge that dance has to be #1, or is holding on single because they know they don't have space in their lives for a relationship with anything besides dance.  The only relationships I've seen work were between a sound technician and a dancer, a photographer and a dancer and a restaurant owner and a dancer - sometimes a dancer and a dancer if one of them acknowledges the other as being "better" - a deliberate power imbalance.

I chased this for 6 years.  The last 3 were the most successful career wise, but the most destructive.  I was going to *unite the dance scene* All the backbiters would learn from my stunning example of do everything you can for anyone/ everyone who asks, dance every chance you get, regardless of compensation.  If there is one person in the restaurant, then make sure they are getting the best show of their lives.  Be nice to everyone - even if you hate them, and you know they hate you.

The need to be needed slips in in a very sneaky way.  It's twines up through the rest of it, grows symbiotically  and leaves you having to kill the garden to save the house.

Because I've been through the industry side of dance, it's something that I don't think I could ever go back to.  Every road leads to either teaching or performing.  If I ever tried it again, I have a feeling it would happen even faster.

Right now I see a "good" teacher in dance as one who shields even their most enthusiastic students from what the industry side of dance is.  Keeps them from performing at anything besides a private class party.  Most new dancers would find that to be an outrage, because it's like being a debutante.  You want to go to parties, dance, have fun and meet people; but as you get deeper and deeper into that, at some point a choice has to be made.

Unless you're willing to structure your entire life around it, at cost of everything else, there is no life in dance.

I used to think you could dance 'for yourself' and 'for an audience' at the same time, but I don't believe it.  Once your audience starts to push you, what you want becomes a moot point.  You either have to choose to work for the audience at that point, validated by how nice it is to have an audience, or to ignore the wants of the audience and dance for yourself.  The two can live together briefly, but because audiences are so demanding, it's very easy to loose yourself.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 10, 2007, 10:35:30 am »

I used to think you could dance 'for yourself' and 'for an audience' at the same time, but I don't believe it.  Once your audience starts to push you, what you want becomes a moot point.  You either have to choose to work for the audience at that point, validated by how nice it is to have an audience, or to ignore the wants of the audience and dance for yourself.  The two can live together briefly, but because audiences are so demanding, it's very easy to loose yourself.

Indeed, it is.  I'll also never go back to dancing professionally in any manner.  I can't do it anymore.  I can't allow myself to be that person I become when I do.  I don't like that me.  That me has no life outside of dance, no room for anything or anyone in my life that isn't a part of dance. 

So, I dance in my living room and at festivals.  I dance for myself, and the audience isn't a part of it at all and never will be again. 

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 10, 2007, 11:36:39 am »

So, I dance in my living room and at festivals.  I dance for myself, and the audience isn't a part of it at all and never will be again. 

I'm not there yet.  I still hold an absolute wall because I don't trust myself not to want to go back.  I lived for nothing but the audience for a while.  It's an addiction. 

I'm coming to the point where I can watch dancing with the stars without flipping the channel, bouncing around like a manic head case, or becoming annoyed at unrelated things out of jealousy, but I'm not there yet. 

Occasionally I'll watch the videos, or get overly tanked some night and e-mail friends from that time in life (only a little less than a year ago) who thankfully don't mail back.  Fortunately the people I e-mail were also my Reiki teachers, who even though we've cut off contact don't actively  (I hope) hold grudges, or at least understand why I made the choices I did. 

The rest of the dance world, like you said rolls on without me.  One less competitor to those who saw me as such.

I'm still working to get out of the shadow of what a part of me wanted to be, even though it was holding the rest of me hostage. 

I don't go here often.  Sometimes I'm still sweeping up the seed beads on the floor, and picking them out of the bottoms of my feet.  Eventually I'll have the mess picked up.  Thanks for the flashlight. It's hard to sweep in the dark.  Smiley

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #20: April 10, 2007, 06:58:26 pm »

Well, there's been a definite change in my writing since I started.  Before I was all about black and white scenarios - where you knew who was good and who was evil; I never entertained the thought of there being more to a good story than that.  I never strayed far from that whole "living in the light" kind of thing.

Both of those territories now, are either explored or at least touched upon. I write about immortality, about people becoming demi-gods or full gods.  Even if they remain human, something about them changes.  I have my characters face things that make them reconsider their values and beliefs; sometimes they change, sometimes they can't accept something at all, and that's fine.

I lost my taste for writing poetry a while back, and though I still don't do it very often, I do it more often now.  The subject matter of those poems has expanded.  When I do write poetry, there's a hint of spirituality running through it, even if the subject has nothing to do with it.  It's the same with a lot of my stories, as a friend pointed out.  It's not distinctly pagan, but it's there.

I don't really feel any deity pushing me to write something in particular, or even draw something in particular.  Maybe it's just because they are being subtle, or maybe it's because I don't really have patrons yet.  Even if I get it in my head to map out a dance, or if the feeling comes to my during ritual, I can't really discern if it's just coming from within, or if someone is gently nudging me.  I guess it doesn't matter.

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: May 06, 2007, 12:08:12 pm »

How does creativity play a role in your religion?  Has your creativity changed because of your religion?  Or your religion from your creativity?

Yes.  Smiley

The most obvious thing is that I do creative work for my gods.  I consider Djehuty to be very creative, and lately I've done creative work for Brighid too.  (No surprise there.)  But it goes further than that - I've made jewelry for all of the deities I'm devoted to, and a few others I'm close to.  (The lines there are a little strange lately, but that's another topic.)  I also consider the way I arrange my shrines to be a creative process.

And creativity is a huge part of my employment, so I honor my gods in that too.

My spiritual work, especially with Feri, has helped me come to a more healthy relationship with my creativity.

And then theres the stuff that's taken me a longer time to realize - that my creativity, particularly my writing, also influences my spiritual path.  I was celebrating the solstices and equinoxes (inspired by my novel) for a year before I became Pagan.  I use some texts in ritual that I originally wrote for my book.  During my hiatus from magic, a lot of my thoughts about it came out in my writing, consciously and unconsciously.  (Generally unconsciously.)

Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: May 27, 2007, 11:40:30 am »

I've always been a creative person.  I've done so many different things since I was small from sewing to basket weaving and jewelry making.  I've taken those things that I love to do and I've incorporated ways to make them spiritual.  I can make spell-quilts, and I can make jewelry for specific purposes using the correct stones for specific purposes.  If I ever decide to make candles again, I now know that different scents can help different aspects of a person's being, and if I add my will to it also, it will have a greater outcome for the purpose used.  I think I'll always have a need to create something simply because that's the way I am, but now I feel like I'm creating things for more of a purpose than just because I can.

Ana

Lorrie Indigo
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 03, 2008, 11:30:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 19, 2008, 02:35:48 pm »

my creativity plays a huge part in my worship. I use my art and writing as a form of devotion.

Me too. I thank my God that I'm extremely creative and know how to write because it definitely helps!

I only use other writings and ideas for inspiration; I create everything I do for worship like composing spells, rituals, blessings, chants, prayers, storytelling, music & poetry...My brain really gets a work out!
Whiterabbit
Apprentice
Last Login:April 14, 2008, 07:19:18 pm
Sweden Sweden

Religion: Cottage/Green/Hedgewitch-mix

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 07, 2008, 07:58:11 am »

I think its impossible to set creativity and life apart from my religion. When I first started to make my solitary rituals to honor and worship, everything changed very quickly. I could write or draw for hours, I didn't have to motivate myself, I experienced a great flow. Now it has become more a "normal" part of who I am. I feel more open to solutions and ideas to whatever every-day stuff comes up. Anything from cooking, interior-decorating to writing or singing. I also feel my religion is refining my taste in art and music. After all, the Gods and the Goddesses deserves the best of me, so I too deserve quality reflecting that relationship.
6 months ago me and my husband moved from the city to the country where time apparently has stopped. Cheesy
 It has given me time and opportunity to align myself more deeply to nature, silence and peace, and I can sense how an urge to take up my painting comes over me more often. I'm quite eager to see where it takes me. I think creativity is the very essence of my religion, as is freedom to explore it. At this very moment it is time to work the garden we have. Its a very practical way for me to experience how I can express creativity in close contact with nature. The soil, the trees, the flowers... Its all there, perfect as it is, still I can help nature along a bit, and shape or enhance parts of the garden. I'm currently working on a spot where I can plant herbs and eatable flowers. Its like a dream actually, I feel like the Empress-card in Tarot! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 08:04:02 am by Whiterabbit » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)