The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 03, 2020, 04:21:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2020, 04:21:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New To Wicca  (Read 6290 times)
elisabethccalvin
Last Login:March 19, 2007, 03:36:57 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan/Wiccan (i think...)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 15, 2007, 01:19:30 am »

hey everyone,

im entirely new to wicca, but im trying to learn as much about it as possible. this may seem like a stupid question, but when you (experienced witches) perform a powerful spell, does the kind of stuff the movies show (glowing light, sparkling wind, ect.) acutally happen? im just wondering. ive never performed an actual spell before, so ide like to know.

thanks

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 22, 2020, 09:45:42 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 15, 2007, 01:54:08 am »

im entirely new to wicca, but im trying to learn as much about it as possible. this may seem like a stupid question, but when you (experienced witches) perform a powerful spell, does the kind of stuff the movies show (glowing light, sparkling wind, ect.) acutally happen? im just wondering. ive never performed an actual spell before, so ide like to know.
Welcome to the Cauldron!

Nope.  Think of the movie scenes as being a way of visually depicting something that, in real practice, doesn't have much of an objectively-observable visual component at all.  If they showed it as it looks in real life, the theatre audience would all be going, "Huh?  Did something happen?"  It's equivalent to how, in a movie like Hackers, when the geeks log on to a computer, they show it as zooming into the computer screen and zipping around among neon-glowing circuit diagrams - if they showed what that looks like in real life, all we'd see is some geek typing at a keyboard, which would make for a very dull movie.

Some people occasionally get trivial physical manifestations, or things that might be that or might be just interestingly-timed coincidence - two or three times (in over 30 years of practice), I've had a bit of a breeze come up, very briefly, at just the opportune moment.  It's always been outdoors, never indoors, so it could easily be completely unrelated to anything I'm doing.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: March 15, 2007, 08:24:45 am »

Welcome to the Cauldron.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: March 15, 2007, 11:24:16 am »

hey everyone,

thanks

Welcome to The Cauldron, Elisabethcalvin!

While I'm not Wiccan, or very deeply into magic myself, I would say no. What you see in the movies is just that - Fantacy

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 15, 2007, 07:07:33 pm »

im entirely new to wicca, but im trying to learn as much about it as possible. this may seem like a stupid question, but when you (experienced witches) perform a powerful spell, does the kind of stuff the movies show (glowing light, sparkling wind, ect.) acutally happen?

I'm not of the Wiccan religion, but I do magic. Wink Nothing like that ever happens. Stuff like this only happens in Hollywood.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Forrestsprite
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 19, 2007, 04:36:38 pm

Religion: Neo-Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 16, 2007, 08:50:21 am »

this may seem like a stupid question, but when you (experienced witches) perform a powerful spell, does the kind of stuff the movies show (glowing light, sparkling wind, ect.) acutally happen?

Welcome Elisabethccalvin!

I'm Wiccan but I'd have to say I'm not very experienced, but what experience I have I'll try to answer you with. Smiley

When I do spells most of mine are with visualization, so inside my head lots of cool and unusual things come up when I speak with my deities. They like to take my perception of the world and twist it upside down or sideways.

When I have my eyes open I do not have alot of movie type reaction to my spells. I have alot of coincedence and de ja vu. I'll have events that will happen that I KNOW I've seen somewhere before or I'll find objects that have special meaning to me, tell me something important, or I've seen in meditation.

Also, I've had some VERY strange, almost movie-like, happenings when dealing with spirits. I have certain spirits that like to pop up every once in awhile. They tell, teach, or push me into things. But they have been known to be mischevious and bump or move things in real life. Things fall over that have no reason to fall, inside! No winds, no people around, they just move.

And I was part of a very inexperienced circle at one point that had a very minimal posession of one of the members. The girl actually looked different, probably like the ghost who had been summoned. Not a really good event to be part of, but I was there for sanity sake. They didn't even want to caste a protective circle and they were going to do the summoning whether I was there or not. So, I played along and tried to keep them from REALLY hurting themselves.

That's all I have. Like I said, I wouldn't call my magical experience very experienced. But I've seen some things. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 10:56:44 am by Forrestsprite, Reason: spaces, not good for newspapers but good here » Logged
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: March 16, 2007, 09:10:39 am »

Just a quick note, Forrestsprite...  Could I get you to put blank lines between paragraphs when posting, please?  Makes things much easier to read than one big unbroken block of text is.  Smiley  Thanks!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Forrestsprite
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 19, 2007, 04:36:38 pm

Religion: Neo-Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 16, 2007, 10:55:05 am »

Just a quick note, Forrestsprite...  Could I get you to put blank lines between paragraphs when posting, please?  Makes things much easier to read than one big unbroken block of text is.  Smiley  Thanks!

sure

no

problem
Obsidian Lightflame
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 25, 2007, 07:02:11 pm

Religion: Wiccan/Gnostic/Still searching...

Fiat Lux

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 19, 2007, 09:14:34 pm »

I don't want to sound like I'm the pro here, first off, because I don't want to be resented on this board, but with lots of practice and serious work what can't be done?

Maybe amazing things don't happen, in the way they're depicted on T.V. (little sparkles and things of that nature), but amazing things DO happen. With experience one can have visions, work with deities to produce more and more physical manifestations, etc...

Like I said, it takes work.

nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 19, 2007, 10:25:41 pm »

I don't know, I would be firmly in the show me column there. I mean sure you may see things with your inner vision but physically I don't think so. Of course I won't go into my own person beliefs in regards to physical manifestations of gods and magic. 

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Obsidian Lightflame
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 25, 2007, 07:02:11 pm

Religion: Wiccan/Gnostic/Still searching...

Fiat Lux

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 19, 2007, 10:35:46 pm »

Well, in all fairness, I've heard testimonies of very physical happenings... Many I can take very seriously because they come from very trusted family members... My grandfather practices Santeria, Yoruba Lukumi, and takes after his mother's traditions. Very strong practices in there, and he has been possessed and the Orisha manifest in very physical ways sometimes.

I have had my degree of physical manifestation, but only simple things... By this I mean sounds and other strange "coincidences", but nothing too big.

I think it's possible, very, very possible. Just with time, and of course, "faith", belief... Knowing it's possible and can happen...

Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 26, 2007, 11:24:28 pm »

Magic tends to be subtle.  Those effects happen on levels that can't be easily percieved.  If you're capable of "seeing" magic, which most people, even most practitioners, don't seem to be without major effort, then you might see something Hollywood-esque, but most of the time I doubt it.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Daecon
Apprentice
Last Login:April 22, 2007, 08:22:35 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 08, 2007, 10:29:45 pm »

I've been a practicing wiccan for many years and I can say I've never seen a spell have external visual side effects.  Internal "mind's eye" effects are common though, as would be expected from a system relying on visualization, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn some people could mistake these quasi-hallucinations for real world effects. 

It's not visual, but on a number of occasions I've been to rituals where the opening of the circle after the ceremony is finished has been accompanied by a perceptable drop in air temperature or pressure.  It would be an interesting experiment to bring a sensitive thermometer to find out if this is a real, measurable phenomenon.
Keysofknowledge.com
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 16, 2007, 08:17:35 am

Religion: Pagan

Knowledge is power.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 14, 2007, 08:14:21 pm »

Hello,  natural magick is always around you and when you tap into that energy you will notice things, like the winds picking up, flames rising, sounds of animals, lights flickering and more.
Since you are new, you may want to try to understand the differences between witchcraft and wicca. That would be a good starting point.  There are alot of websites that help with this sort of thing. 

keysofknowledge.com

Sani
keysofknowledge.com
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #14: April 15, 2007, 07:55:09 am »

Keys,

Just a side note...  When replying to posts, could you please use the "quote" button that's on every post (in the upper right-hand corner)?  That way we know what exactly you're replying to and who said it.  Otherwise, it can sometimes be hard to follow the line of conversation.  (For more info on why we want people to do this, check out this post.)

Thanks!

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)