The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 21, 2020, 10:57:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 10:57:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Proper Pronunciation of Brighid  (Read 21825 times)
Shaylee
Apprentice
Last Login:October 17, 2007, 04:05:37 pm
United States United States

Religion: undecided - interest ranges from Pagan to Zen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 02, 2007, 01:18:47 pm »

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if any anyone could clarify the proper pronunciation of Brighid. I found an interesting article and it gave some history and several spellings and pronunciations such as, the Irish Breed, Bryde and Briggid, the Gaelic Bree-id and the most ancient form (according to their sources) Brigit. I'd appreciate your opinions. I'm going out to garden and enjoy a beautiful end of summer day.

In case anyone would like to read the article- here's a link:

http://www.ewtn.com/library/MARY/BRIGID.htm

Good wishes and thoughts to you all,

Shaylee

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 02, 2007, 05:28:21 pm »

I was wondering if any anyone could clarify the proper pronunciation of Brighid. I found an interesting article and it gave some history and several spellings and pronunciations such as, the Irish Breed, Bryde and Briggid, the Gaelic Bree-id and the most ancient form (according to their sources) Brigit. I'd appreciate your opinions. I'm going out to garden and enjoy a beautiful end of summer day.

Hah. I went out and enjoyed the day too.  Grin

I have always said it as "BRIDGE-id"--probably not the proper Gaelic, but she doesn't seem to mind that. I think it depends on which tradition you're coming from: the Scottish Gaels and the Irish will say it differently, and even call her by different names. The Scots call her Bride, typically, while Brighid is typical for the Irish.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 02, 2007, 05:38:08 pm »

I have always said it as "BRIDGE-id"--probably not the proper Gaelic, but she doesn't seem to mind that. I think it depends on which tradition you're coming from: the Scottish Gaels and the Irish will say it differently, and even call her by different names. The Scots call her Bride, typically, while Brighid is typical for the Irish.

I call it Bridge-id too Cheesy

I suspect that isnt correct, but it is how I say it.

so far she hasnt minded Wink

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: September 02, 2007, 07:13:03 pm »

I have always said it as "BRIDGE-id"--probably not the proper Gaelic, but she doesn't seem to mind that.

FWIW, I use the pronunciation "Breedj" in my head and when I'm talking to Brighid.  When I'm tlaking to other people, I usually use "Bridge-id".

However, I also believe that the deity we call Brighid has been known by different names in different geographic areas, including Sulis, Sunna, Belisama, and possibly Kupala.  I'm still working on that research.   Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member
Last Login:March 11, 2008, 07:07:34 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Brighideach Druid (OBOD) and a little bit of witchery thrown in.

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 02, 2007, 07:22:05 pm »

I call it Bridge-id too Cheesy

I say Bridge-it.  My friend in primary school had Brighid as a second name.  That's how she and her family pronounced it, so I guess that's just what I've always said.  Also knew a Brighde, that was pronounced Brigh(as in bright without the t)-dee.

However, I also believe that the deity we call Brighid has been known by different names in different geographic areas, including Sulis, Sunna, Belisama, and possibly Kupala.  I'm still working on that research.   Wink

Me, I'm going with Belisama Smiley  It does feel so right that She/They are the same Goddess, just different names from different places.  Can't shake it, so I'm sticking with it lol.

Mae'r cariad at fy ngwlad yn berwi yn fy ngwaed.

Shaylee
Apprentice
Last Login:October 17, 2007, 04:05:37 pm

Religion: undecided - interest ranges from Pagan to Zen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 02, 2007, 08:37:49 pm »

I was wondering if any anyone could clarify the proper pronunciation of Brighid....
I'd appreciate your opinions. I'm going out to garden and enjoy a beautiful end of summer day.

Hello Everyone,

It was a perfect day to work outside in my neck of the woods.  Smiley

Thank you all for your responses as I will most likely have more questions about Brighid as I read more material about her. 

I thought about it as I worked and felt the Gaelic Bree-id worked best for me.

One more question, if you don't mind-

Do the Gods/Goddesses have you find tokens or small gifts? While I was gardening, I found two lovely rocks- both were flattened and smooth, one round and the other oval. I saw them and felt that they were for me to clean, paint with Her symbols and dedicate in some way. I also found a lovely piece of a branch, flat on the bottom with a smooth top surface perfect for carving.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but the feeling was very strong. I felt like it was my birthday.  Grin

Health, Happiness and Harmony to all!

Shaylee
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: September 02, 2007, 10:16:20 pm »

Do the Gods/Goddesses have you find tokens or small gifts? While I was gardening, I found two lovely rocks- both were flattened and smooth, one round and the other oval. I saw them and felt that they were for me to clean, paint with Her symbols and dedicate in some way.

I have a rock that I believe was sent to me directly by Brighid.  I found it on the sidewalk one day when I was in the midst of a spiritual crisis of the "is there really anyone out there?" variety.

It's blue, a smooth tumbled stone.  I think it's angelite, but I'm not sure.

I also see little signs from her, especially when I'm in some kind of need.  Sometimes it's graffiti, sometimes logos on trucks, things like that.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Derg Corra
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 08, 2008, 09:29:15 pm

Religion: Aspiring Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 02, 2007, 11:38:49 pm »

I was wondering if any anyone could clarify the proper pronunciation of Brighid.
http://www.ewtn.com/library/MARY/BRIGID.htm

This is a great question...  When I was starting to take an intro to Wicca class, I tried to brush up on my Goddess/God names so I could actually say them properly without looking like an idiot...  I had read "Briggid" was the proper pronunciation on the web (perhaps that same article on a different site...)  So it came up in a conversation and everyone was like "You mean Bridj-id?"  So I've been kind of confused ever since and not sure what to use for myself personally.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 03, 2007, 02:17:42 am »

Do the Gods/Goddesses have you find tokens or small gifts? While I was gardening, I found two lovely rocks- both were flattened and smooth, one round and the other oval. I saw them and felt that they were for me to clean, paint with Her symbols and dedicate in some way. I also found a lovely piece of a branch, flat on the bottom with a smooth top surface perfect for carving.

When I was in Halifax I found lots of stones and sea shells that I took home with me. It wasn't until Hestia caught my attention and I was going back to researching and connecting with Dionysos, that I noticed the last flat stone I had, which was very small and very very flat, that would look awesome if I panted both Hestia's symbol and Dionysos's symbol on either side and make it into a necklace.

So yes, I think its entirely possibly. Cheesy

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
MojoDiva
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 04, 2011, 10:00:19 am
Japan Japan

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 03, 2007, 03:47:51 am »

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if any anyone could clarify the proper pronunciation of Brighid. I found an interesting article and it gave some history and several spellings and pronunciations such as, the Irish Breed, Bryde and Briggid, the Gaelic Bree-id and the most ancient form (according to their sources) Brigit. Shaylee

I've always said it "Brigg-id" and boy, I'm glad to have read in the article that its an acceptable Irish form. Strangely, its ocurred to me I have never heard someone say the name before!
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 03, 2007, 11:45:43 am »

I also see little signs from her, especially when I'm in some kind of need.  Sometimes it's graffiti, sometimes logos on trucks, things like that.

I was working with Apollo one time on a road-trip to my grandparent's house, when an Apollo Equipment truck pulled up alongside out truck.
Keeper o Duckshoed Muse
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 09, 2008, 09:18:15 pm

Religion: A Craftsman Witch with Elemental leanings

Dancing a delicate line and loving every moment.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 04, 2007, 04:02:31 am »

One more question, if you don't mind-

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but the feeling was very strong. I felt like it was my birthday.  Grin

Health, Happiness and Harmony to all!

Shaylee

I know the exact feeling!  Though usually it hits when I'm elbow deep into a project or looking at new materials.  Suddenly I get the equivalent of a energy thwap upside the head and the very clear image of a craft to be done.  But then that tends to be my path.  *insert innocent look here*

I had the occasion once where a piece of hideous furniture abandoned by a former roommate suddenly had a desperate need to become a writing altar!  It had sat in the basement for nearly six months, during which I had no clue it was even there, until one day I went down into the basement, received my thwap, and looked under a pile of boxes.  Yeah, two months later and that army-green piece of 70's bad taste had transformed into a lovely writing surface dedicated to study and the elements, and my lovely ladies who I would be lost without.

Yep, every once in awhile you get a little help from your gods and godesses in making or finding something just for them, from you.

Ducky

I take responsibility for my insanity only!
Coll9
Journeyman
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 15, 2007, 11:17:30 am »

It depends on the Gaelic dialect.

I pronounce her name "bree-id" but I've also heard "bree-zj", "breehid", "brid", "bridge", and others.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)