The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 20, 2021, 01:40:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2021, 01:40:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Followers of the Gods  (Read 10343 times)
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 19, 2007, 02:53:22 am »

Welcome to all the Ta Heira folks!

Since there may be new people roaming around the Hellenic threads, I wanted to give everyone a chance to get to know everyone else in terms of worship and beliefs.

So who's next?

Hello...I just noticed this thread this evening. I made a few posts over at the old Ta Hiera, and I'm somewhat active here on the Cauldron.

So for those of you that don't know me already, (You may also have seen me on any number of other forums and web lists, I mostly use the name Fiamma, LaFiamma in one or two places and email lists (email shows up as lafiamma, but I sign my name, Renee, to my emails) , Fuego on Livejournal and maybe one or two other places.)

I am a follower of Apollo first and foremost. At the moment, the other deities to whom I give any other worship are Leto, Asteria and Hestia, and to Polyhymnia and Terpsichore as appropriate. In the last year or so, I have developed a certain fascination for a number of Titans and Protogenoi, and the Mousai Apollonides (It seems I like the obscure and mysterious.)

In public/group setting, I'm a member of my local grove of Ar nDraiocht Fein...which is a neopagan Druidic organization....ADF is pan-indo-european in scope and I'd say about 1/4 to 1/3 of my grove's rituals are in honor of Greek deities (I even convinced them to forgo Beltane this year in favor of an adapted Thargelia celebration. I don't think we'll be doing that again anytime soon, but it was pretty cool.)

It's actually by way of ADF that I got interested in Hellenic reconstruction...I consider myself to be somewhat recon in my personal practice. I also have a roommate who is a member of ADF and the grove, and is more recon in personal practice...we've been talking about trying to track down other Hellenics in the Baltimore area and trying to do somethign more recon-oriented, though we're still in the talking stages between the two of us.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 19, 2007, 09:30:53 pm »

Since there may be new people roaming around the Hellenic threads, I wanted to give everyone a chance to get to know everyone else in terms of worship and beliefs.

So who's next?

Woo. I'm sick. Lets see if I make sense. Cheesy

Well.. I have to say that I am a follower of Dionysos. That could change in time (its happened before to myself and to many people) but.. it feels right saying it. I haven't done any meditation; I usually forget it, I suck at keeping a schedule, or I put it off. Although as of late I have been trying to get serious about this. I don't like waiting on the side lines for things to happen anymore. Which is somewhat contradictory to my Taurean nature...

There is also Hestia in my life. It was pointed about by someone when I was doing a rant once about how we're all supposed to just "go with the flow of life, man". I don't know why I was ranting, but I just got pretty pissed that people would find me petty and less 'pagan' just because I like material things like a good home, furnature, etc.

I've had interest in the nymphs as well.. but I haven't really looked into them.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
PoseidonsDaughter
Apprentice
Last Login:May 17, 2008, 07:46:50 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 30, 2007, 05:42:12 pm »

I personally only really worship.....Ares(long story)...
I too worship Ares along with the other Hellenic deities, it is a long personal story I won't get into here but I am truly very devoted to Ares and as yet haven't met anyone else who will give him the time of day metaphorically speaking!  So Hi!
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 30, 2007, 10:40:35 pm »

I too worship Ares along with the other Hellenic deities, it is a long personal story I won't get into here but I am truly very devoted to Ares and as yet haven't met anyone else who will give him the time of day metaphorically speaking!  So Hi!

I love working with Ares.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: September 30, 2007, 10:47:54 pm »

I love working with Ares.

I honestly can't understand that, but then I've worked for/with Athena for much of my life. The two deities do not get along. Ares gets the respect do a deity of his great stature from me, but otherwise I just do my best to stay out of his way.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: October 01, 2007, 08:25:59 am »

I honestly can't understand that, but then I've worked for/with Athena for much of my life. The two deities do not get along. Ares gets the respect do a deity of his great stature from me, but otherwise I just do my best to stay out of his way.

(nods)

I'm not a big fan of Ares and yet he's been hanging around me alot recently.  I think he thinks he doesn't have enough people to torment.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: October 01, 2007, 08:28:28 am »

I'm not a big fan of Ares and yet he's been hanging around me alot recently.

I think that would scare the living daylights out of me.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #22: October 01, 2007, 03:29:55 pm »

Ares is completely opposite of most dieties, he's not paticularly nice, or especially helpful with personal problems. His advice to me usually runs along the lines of, "Get over it." or the occasional, "Would you like some cheese with your whine?". But, at least in my workings with him, he's a pillar of strength when you really need it. Like a really mean, older brother/uncle. He's also one of those gods you can fool around with, most of my conversations with him would sound like fights to outsiders, but it's just how I communicate with him. He makes fun of me, I yell at him call him a jerk, he gives me advice in the form of sarcasm, I tease him, he teases me some more; it's a big happy, noisy cycle.

I can understand how a lot of people wouldn't want to work with him, he's probably one of the most intimidating. Unless Athena's mad. Or Zeus, but maybe the Zeus thing is just me. Ares is also one of those gods that never seems to shrink down to your size, he's always larger than life. And don't bother asking him for signs, if you don't believe him that's not his problem...
Caelesti
Journeyman
Last Login:October 14, 2011, 05:20:57 pm

Religion: Celtic/Hellenic Polytheist, ADF, UU

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: November 06, 2007, 09:24:12 pm »

For example:  I have no interest in learning ancient Greek, any version of it.  I am not a linguistic scholar, so any translations I would do would be 10 times crappier than what a linguistic scholar would do - I'll leave it to the experts.  I do read their translations and then use that information to help me form opinions using multiple sources.  Saves time and increases accuracy.

Don't worry about it- it's by no means a requirement of the religion, at least IMO. You don't have to be a super-scholar or anything- devotion to the Gods and spirits is more important.
Language-wise, I have my hands full already (or my mouth?) with trying to learn Irish Gaelic, (my other cultural focus)
With Greek I'd rather learn modern Greek so that it will be useful to speak if I ever travel there. What I'll probably do is at the least learn some words and enough grammar to use in ritual.

I live in Minnesota, as I believe another poster here does as well.  I am in a small town, so getting together in a group doesn't happen here - I have to travel....getting together up in the Twin Cities with the local Hellenion group hasn't happened yet. 

As a member/participant of said group, I'd like to invite you to join our yahoo group, hellenion-mw (midwest) Even if you're further away, it'd be good to talk, and maybe we can plan a way to get together, esp. if any of us are visiting up in your area or vice versa.
oinokhoe
Last Login:January 20, 2008, 03:40:24 pm

Religion: Hellenic Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: December 06, 2007, 03:42:42 pm »

Khairete,

My name is Oinokhoe (legal name Sarah Kate Istra Winter), I am a Hellenic polytheist, owner of the winterscapes.com domain, member of Eranos Agriotheios (www.wildivine.org), author of Kharis: Hellenic Polytheism Explored. Until recently I was the owner of Neokoroi and editor of He Epistole. I am a devotee of Dionysos as well as Hermes, Apollon and the nymphs. I am also a spiritworker and mantis.

I was just exploring Hellenic communities and noticed that this forum seemed fairly active (compared to some) and starting reading through the threads - some interesting conversations. Thought I might jump in.  Smiley

-Oinokhoe
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: December 06, 2007, 04:25:07 pm »

I was just exploring Hellenic communities and noticed that this forum seemed fairly active (compared to some) and starting reading through the threads - some interesting conversations. Thought I might jump in.  Smiley

Welcome to TC, Oinokhoe.  I'm sure you will add an interesting perspective to this board.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #26: December 06, 2007, 04:58:23 pm »

Khairete,

Welcome to the Cauldron and Ta Hiera!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: December 06, 2007, 06:29:34 pm »

I wish it were more active than it is. Unfortunately, the Ta Hiera SIG needs a SIG Leader who can focus on it. I tried, but running the rest of the TC board and site takes up too much time.

Randall
lovelymnemosyne
Last Login:June 02, 2008, 06:49:10 pm

Religion: Hellenic Polytheism

Raychel

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: December 31, 2007, 02:46:23 pm »

I'm Raychel and I've been interested in Hellenic Polytheism since high school. I've always loved the mythology and I was in a play as Pandora (one act parody called the Idiot and the Oddity) and after that I started worshipping, lighting candles and using stones for a while. I recently got back into worship after taking Ancient Greek in college and writing a paper comparing the revival and ancient worship. Now I mainly worship through prayers, libations and other offerings. I'm directing a production of Medea this coming semester in worship of Hecate and Dionysus.

Mnemosyne and the Muses have been my patrons from the beginning with Apollo following closely. Demeter and Persephone have been speaking to me lately. As a theater major I love Dionysus as well and through Medea, I've been speaking to Hecate.

Xapete!

"Evil oblivion that harms the mind is alien to her who gives coherence to the mind and soul of mortals."

-To Mnemosyne, The Orphic Hymns # 77

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)