The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 23, 2019, 09:57:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2019, 09:57:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Animism and fluffiness  (Read 16291 times)
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 04, 2007, 06:18:05 pm »

I don't really see how paying attention to spirits is any more inherently "out there" than invoking gods, ritual movement, chanting phrases of power, or any of the other things that a number of more structured traditions do.  

Good point!  Too bad I didnt read your post before I quit the list, I would have borrowed it!  Cheesy

Does this make me an animist?  I surely am not fluffy.

*hands Travers his very own animist club card*  I think that qualifies. You are at least part animist Cheesy

Animism is one that seems to attract more than its share of fluffs, but that does not make it fluffy.

Thanks I really appreciate your opinion.  Feeling lots less fluffy now Smiley

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 04, 2007, 06:37:29 pm »

So my question is, animism isnt necessarily a fluffy bunny category, is it?

I would say not.  It would be the height of arrogance to state that nothing else has a consciousness simply because the average person is unable to understand that beings method of communication.  To take that one step further, as I understand it, the term "fluffy bunny" denotes an individual who is willfully ignorant despite available information and evidence to the contrary of their position.  So, without looking into animism and trying to at least understand the base philosophy, those who simply stand up and shout "Animism = Fluffy Bunny" could, in turn, have the appellation "Fluffy Bunny" applied to themselves.

Trying to get someone in that position to wrap their mind around that thought would be about as successful as nailing jell-o to a post...

Since I've had more enlightening conversations with some trees and plants than with some people I've known I'll happily consider myself an Animist. 

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 05, 2007, 02:20:19 am »

Shocked I would not want to be the spirit residing in a roll of toilet paper.

I would imagine that a well-adjusted toilet roll would have an aesthetic sense closer to a dung beetle's than a human's. ("Mmm, pungent.")
Kazer
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 08, 2008, 07:33:55 am
China China

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 05, 2007, 05:47:12 am »

I wouldn't consider myself an animist in a religious stand point... but I have some very animist views. I've always thought many inanimate objects had souls and such, certainly all my stuffed animals which I still have. And with some things I need to throw away it makes me feel guilty, or if I lose something I felt special about I don't only feel sad I lost it, but guilty I essentially ditched it.

In any case, I don't see how being an animist is inherently fluffy, same as I don't see how any serious belief is inherently fluffy, not that it couldn't be made such.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 06:20:19 am by Kazer, Reason: grammar » Logged

Life's a witch and then you fly.
Vanni
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 16, 2015, 09:45:11 am

Religion: N/A

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 05, 2007, 06:04:36 am »

Okay, I am an animist.  Probably pretty clear, from a lot of my posts.  Now, I am on this one list that I rarely interact on, because they tend to be snobbish, and elitist basically.  A lot of them, anyway, not all. The only reason I stay on is because they do give some good info sometimes, mainly from the historical perspective of how modern witchcraft developed etc.  I do go through long stretches of not interacting at all on the list or even reading, because life happens, and frankly the attitudes of some of the people on there act like unless you believe EXACTLY like they do, you are a fluffy bunny.  Let us just say, flame wars are common on that list.  Cheesy

Now around here, people dont hesitate to tell you if you have something wrong historically or whatever, but they dont attack the PERSON, just inform you the information is wrong.  One reason I like this place Wink Not to mention I learn a lot.  And have somebody intelligent to talk to  Cheesy

Anyway, to the point of the post.  Animism in some form or another has been around in various cultures for thousands of years right?
The reason I ask is I got up my nerve to post an answer on this list.  Stupid, I know, and it was an animist response, and one of them basically equated animism with fluffy bunny territory. 

So my question is, animism isnt necessarily a fluffy bunny category, is it? Not in my humble opinion.  But I want to know you people's.

I know a lot of us here are animists.  I talked to plants and animals and stones long before I outright accepted I was a witch, way back when I was a kid, (okay so they talked back  Grin).  If it was just imagination, I wouldnt sometimes get answers back that I disliked.  Such as following conversation: "Ohhhh do you want to go home with me?"  Rock "no".  I think of it as part of the Divine Force or Web of energy that is in everything.  I can feel this web sometimes, and where I connect within it. 

Now I am not going to stop asking rocks if they want to go home with me, even if it is fluffy bunny category  Grin I just want to know if I am one, so I know where I stand  Wink

Gina

Kids are naturally animists and sadly, like so many things, learn to grow out of it or learn that it is not accepted in the "adult" world.

The nice thing about witches is that we have never grown out of believing in magick or any of the other things that the rational scientific adults disparage. I would choose my beliefs over theirs any day. One thing about us is we are not boring Smiley .

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 08:03:55 am by HeartShadow - Genevieve Wood, Reason: fixing quote tag » Logged
Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: September 05, 2007, 09:40:02 am »

Okay, I am an animist. 
Now I am not going to stop asking rocks if they want to go home with me, even if it is fluffy bunny category  Grin I just want to know if I am one, so I know where I stand  Wink

Gina

Hmmm, I'd have to say it depends on how you look at it. Personally, I have objections to the term Fluffy Bunny as derogatory when he is actually a mighty fine Teacher! Maybe Marshmallow Bunny would be better? lol All spun sugar and appearance with no substance. Or Marshmallow Peeps with peeps being such a common internet slang now. Peeps who are all spun sugar and appearance, hmm, seems fitting!

Seeing as one of Rabbit's major lessons for us is to be careful how we view the world as we shape it with our thoughts... We are what we think, and so in great part is the world... I find it ironic that it has come to be such a derogatory label amongst Pagans (whatever they choose to call themselves lol), whether they are honset Bunnies or Marshmallow ones. Rabbits and Hares have a long association with Magic and Magical people of all sorts too. Perhaps this association of Rabbit with Marshmallow Peeps of all sorts is quite fitting though, another caution from that Teacher to be careful how we shape the World with our thoughts even before we open our mouths or act!

Anyway, lol as you might guess... I don't feel that Animism is a spun sugar or appearance only category of study by any means. Quite the opposite in fact. I feel that we once knew much more about All Our Relations and lived in much closer Harmony with our World. I'd sure like to see a return to that kind of living, but we've people on the whole have let go of a lot of that kind of Wisdom to grasp things like Technology and such. Like all other Yin Yang aspects in life, I feel neither should be forfeited for the other. Rather, both in Harmony will get us where most of us believe we'd really like to be as a collective race. Someone in this thread mentioned children being natural animists, and I couldn't agree more! Some lucky few have parents, like I did, who encourage them to hold on to those natural gifts of Universal Love, Awareness, and Acceptance as long as possible....and we try to pass that on to our kids.  Smiley Folks find other ways there, but there aren't that many any more, at least in our society, who keep that kind of openess from childhood... sad to say.

wishing you laughter

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #21: September 05, 2007, 10:25:26 am »

I would imagine that a well-adjusted toilet roll would have an aesthetic sense closer to a dung beetle's than a human's. ("Mmm, pungent.")

dammit I was drinking coffee when I read that!  Cheesy

sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: September 05, 2007, 10:27:44 am »

dammit I was drinking coffee when I read that!  Cheesy

Hey, I think that was my first official spew remark!  Cheesy ::marks notch on laptop::
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #23: September 05, 2007, 10:50:15 am »

Hey, I think that was my first official spew remark!  Cheesy ::marks notch on laptop::

Then.. yay! lol
No coffee on the keyboard so it's all good Wink

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: September 05, 2007, 01:36:05 pm »

So my question is, animism isnt necessarily a fluffy bunny category, is it? Not in my humble opinion.  But I want to know you people's.

I don't think so at all.  (Of course, I'm enough of an animist that I introduced my boyfriend to my computer when he had to telecommute from it.)  And you're right - animism is part of the beliefs of a whole bunch of cultures.

AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #25: September 05, 2007, 01:52:24 pm »

While I don't have a lot of experience with the subject, I do, of course, have opinions on it. It's my personal belief that every natural thing, (plants, trees, rocks, etc.)  carries with it it's own energy, and even some man-made things can eventually end up with their own energy because we give them that power.

"M-m" things like teddy-bears that are treasured by people, are given their ener.by the one who cares for them. I think it also explains why a deceased child's favorite toy can bring their parents such comfort. The item gets charged up like a talisman, and begins to react to the level of energy around it, much like crystals would.

Natural things undoubtedly have their own energy, I've walked through the woods and brush to many times to say they are just "dead" things. Whenever I went to the woods by my Dad's house, I could feel the tickle of their energy, like I was standing in a large crowd.

I don't believe any of them ever spoke to me, but I'm sure they could to some one more senstive than me. I most sensitive to the astral creepy-crawlies, if it moves it has my attention.
gayars
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: September 05, 2007, 02:08:06 pm »

I don't think so at all.  (Of course, I'm enough of an animist that I introduced my boyfriend to my computer when he had to telecommute from it.)  And you're right - animism is part of the beliefs of a whole bunch of cultures.

This is to everybody actually.  Thanks everybody for your comments.  You validated what I thought.  Because either I was nuts Wink a fluffy bunny (which isnt a bad thing according to Entwife LOL)  or I am an animist.  Now, not ruling out the being nuts part, I do appreciate the comments that make me feel like I am at least in part sane Wink

Garnet, I can truly appreciate the need to introduce the computer.  I am quite certain a lot of my manmade objects are animated by now, like my computer, my car, my tv, but thank goodness, I dont think the toilet paper is animated!  Cheesy

Shows like toy story really do encourage our children to still believe in animism.  That is a good thing. Smiley

Aionia, I dont always "hear" them, although I do a lot of the time, well in my mind I hear them, but a lot of the time it is more of a vibration, where I "feel" them.  I think sometimes the vibration is more easily interpreted into speech than others.   I hear rocks better than plants for instance.  Not sure why.  Simpler thoughts maybe?

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #27: September 05, 2007, 02:28:44 pm »

I am quite certain a lot of my manmade objects are animated by now, like my computer, my car,

I'm not the only one convinced our car is an animate object - our car and the charm in it - she died on the highway on monday in the middle of nowhere.... and my master mechanic was sweet talking her to the nth degree while he poked and prodded, and petting the dog charm.
she got us home Smiley

I never said a word the whole time  Lips sealed

gayars
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: September 05, 2007, 02:37:46 pm »

I'm not the only one convinced our car is an animate object - our car and the charm in it - she died on the highway on monday in the middle of nowhere.... and my master mechanic was sweet talking her to the nth degree while he poked and prodded, and petting the dog charm.
she got us home Smiley

Yep,  bet you were keeping your mouth tightly shut the whole time all right......

Gina

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #29: September 05, 2007, 02:55:04 pm »

she got us home Smiley

heh...when to keep silent is a very important and difficult lesson Smiley
My car is full of charms and goddesses and all kinds of stuff. I have never experienced car love before, but I am totally committed to my CR-V, I have to say.
I am a big believer in grounding the energy in all kinds of equipment, though. I managed to keep our washing machine limping along for months with grounding and crystals (and swearing and kicking). But it needed to be fixed, no amount of magickal intent could change reality on that one.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)