The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 28, 2020, 03:45:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2020, 03:45:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Animism and fluffiness  (Read 18365 times)
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #75: February 21, 2008, 06:05:54 pm »

So my question is, animism isnt necessarily a fluffy bunny category, is it? Not in my humble opinion.  But I want to know you people's. 

This might sound odd, but if you are a fluffy bunny, then maybe being a fluffy bunny is a really good thing to be. I'd sign up for that club. Good gravy.

But according to the "definition" of fluffy, I don't see how pantheism could qualify. You could be a fluffy pantheist. You can be a fluffy ANYTHING. But being pantheist doesn't make you fluffy. The only people saying things like that are those who really don't understand pantheism. Could be they read a paragraph on it that didn't go deep enough, or they read an article that wasn't very thorough or in-depth, or they only knew one pantheist who was truly "fluffy" and that has colored their perceptions. Or they're on a forum where consensus seems to be that it's fluffy, and they hear it enough to believe it without delving any further than those posts on that one forum... and then they take that around with them. And talk about it like they know, and end up contributing to the idea that it's consensus. And as we all know, consensus = (perceived) fact.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 10:47:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #76: February 21, 2008, 06:09:21 pm »

But according to the "definition" of fluffy, I don't see how pantheism could qualify. You could be a fluffy pantheist. You can be a fluffy ANYTHING. But being pantheist doesn't make you fluffy. The only people saying things like that are those who really don't understand pantheism.

I encountered a number of fluffy pantheists over the years, but being a pantheist isn't what made them fluffy. Lack of critical thinking and a refusal to accept reality when it differed from what they wanted to believe is what made them fluffy.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #77: February 22, 2008, 12:07:32 am »

Lack of critical thinking and a refusal to accept reality when it differed from what they wanted to believe is what made them fluffy.

Oh Man!  Shocked That could be darn near Anybody!  Roll Eyes lol  Cheesy

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #78: February 22, 2008, 02:38:48 am »

Lack of critical thinking and a refusal to accept reality when it differed from what they wanted to believe is what made them fluffy.

Yep... and that can be anyone, no matter what their theology or lack thereof.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #79: February 22, 2008, 04:00:41 am »

Um, is pantheism the same as animism?

I thought animism is the believe that everything has a spirit, while pantheism means everything is divine. I see that they don't contradict each other necessarily, so you can be both, but I thought it were different categories.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #80: February 22, 2008, 08:59:58 am »

I thought animism is the believe that everything has a spirit, while pantheism means everything is divine.

Essentially accurate from my understanding.  Animism usually attributes a consciousness to natural bodies such as rocks, plants, rivers, winds, etc. 

http://www.reference.com/search?q=Animism
In a more restrictive sense, animism is the belief that souls inhabit all or most objects; it attributes personalized souls to animals, vegetables, and minerals wherein the material object is—to some degree—governed by the qualities which comprise its particular soul. Religions that are animistic in this more restrictive sense generally do not accept a sharp distinction between spirit and matter, and they generally assume that this unification of matter and spirit plays a role in daily life.

Pantheism typically equates the Divine with the Universe in a kind of big picture mentality. 

http://www.reference.com/search?q=Pantheism
pantheism [Gr. pan=all, theos=God], name used to denote any system of belief or speculation that includes the teaching "God is all, and all is God." Pantheism, in other words, identifies the universe with God or God with the universe.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
OmPom
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 03:45:00 pm

Religion: Druid

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #81: May 17, 2008, 12:10:29 pm »

Essentially accurate from my understanding.  Animism usually attributes a consciousness to natural bodies such as rocks, plants, rivers, winds, etc. 

http://www.reference.com/search?q=Animism
Pantheism typically equates the Divine with the Universe in a kind of big picture mentality. 

http://www.reference.com/search?q=Pantheism

Makes sense. I don't think you are fluffy. I've communicated with nature a few times, I think why I feel so out of place in a city environment. A long time ago I read in a book when choosing a tree or any natural object you ask for its permission first and wait for the answer. If its a yes, you leave an offering after you take the item.
I decided to apply this when I was looking for a Christmas tree on those Christmas tree farms. I was with my ex and his family and we walked all through out this place. Then I found the perfect tree. I felt connected to the tree. I hugged it and felt its energy surge through me. I asked if I can take it home for Christmas and it said yes, as the other trees had said no. So they cut down the tree, which I couldn't watch because it looks painful, and I left an offering. Well needless to say this tree stayed green well after X-mas. When they threw the tree outside in Feb. it was still green. I do think that it was because I asked and left an offering that it stayed green for so long and blessed everyone with its presence. Needless to say that was a very good X-mas for everyone.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)