The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 21, 2020, 08:12:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 08:12:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Any Druids Out There...  (Read 16463 times)
timesarose
Apprentice
Last Login:August 19, 2008, 03:48:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: pagan-druid

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 04, 2007, 09:28:42 am »

what got u into the  specific path of druidism and what helped you learn more about it (i.e. links, books, and stuff)?

the only site im seeming to find is druidnetwork.com or wat it .org....arghhh i cant rememebr Tongue

SHARE WITH ME!!! lol

"You're not alone
There is more to this, I know
You can make it out
(Make it out)
You will live to tell
(Live to tell)
You're not alone
(And I know)
You can make it out
You will live to tell.."

Saosin "You're Not Alone"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 04, 2007, 03:47:29 pm »

what got u into the  specific path of druidism and what helped you learn more about it (i.e. links, books, and stuff)?
I'm not a Druid (in many groups that's a very advanced title - certainly one I wouldn't presume to claim), but I've been walking a druidic path for a little while now.  There are a lot of different options out there. 

The one that appealled to my was ADF: www.adf.org.  I like that there is a strong emphasis on good scholarship and good history, without actually being a reconstructionist religion. 

There are tons of others, though.
timesarose
Apprentice
Last Login:August 19, 2008, 03:48:49 pm

Religion: pagan-druid

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 04, 2007, 06:34:51 pm »

I'm not a Druid (in many groups that's a very advanced title - certainly one I wouldn't presume to claim), but I've been walking a druidic path for a little while now.  There are a lot of different options out there. 

The one that appealled to my was ADF: www.adf.org.  I like that there is a strong emphasis on good scholarship and good history, without actually being a reconstructionist religion. 

There are tons of others, though.

ooo very good website thankyou
yes youre right its such a high  title
besides how does anyone know that uve reached the highest level of a group, any group or path for that matter
it is my goal though

thankyou for the website

"You're not alone
You can make it out
(Make it out)
You will live to tell
(Live to tell)
You're not alone
(And I know)
You can make it out
You will live to tell.."

Saosin "You're Not Alone"
Oakoftheforest
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 17, 2007, 02:11:25 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Paganism- Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 14, 2007, 04:27:11 pm »

the only site im seeming to find is druidnetwork.com or wat it .org....arghhh i cant rememer.

I agree that ts a "high" title, but i also think that in the modern druid movement, it is possible for someone to call themself a druid, rather than a druid in training, as it saves the hassle of explaining everthing about it. But nevertheless, usually i tell people i am on a druidic path.

A very good book i have just read, well actually its a collection of essays, is Phillip Carr Gomms " The rebirth of druidry". Heres his website for about him and some more books...                                 http://philipcarrgomm.druidry.org/

So yes, to follow my path i practice performing and music to create a bardic lifestyle, practice yoga and meditation for an ovate lifestyle, and try to be wise and just in my decisions, as well as taking part in politics to create my druid lifestyle. This is me in a nutshell, though my beliefes are a bit more confusing to explain.
Coll9
Journeyman
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 15, 2007, 11:26:16 am »

the only site im seeming to find is druidnetwork.com or wat it .org....arghhh i cant rememebr Tongue

SHARE WITH ME!!! lol

I'm not a Druid but I'm an Irish reconstructionist/traditionalist polytheist who is currently approaching the filidecht path. I'm a member of ADF (Ár nDraíocht Féin) because I enjoy their fellowship, resources, and emphasis on academia and history.

In my community, the position of Druid is very sacred and and held with high regard. It is a title that is earned once one has demonstrated great knowledge, wisdom, and service. It's not a position that one can just pursue over night or even in a couple years time. It's certainly not easy, that's for sure! =P

What "flavour" of Drudism are you interested?
Thorn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 17, 2007, 04:15:55 pm »

I agree that ts a "high" title, but i also think that in the modern druid movement, it is possible for someone to call themself a druid, rather than a druid in training, as it saves the hassle of explaining everthing about it.
The Druid served a very specific role in society and right now I can't see myself ever seeking to fill that role, I have other gifts.  Maybe someday I will be called to the priesthood, but not every worshipper is destined to become a priest/ess (unless, of course, we're talking Wicca.) 

Usually, with those who don't deserve the hassle, where you would say "Druid" I just say "pagan."  With those who might want to understand further, depending on the person I'll say Druidic pagan or Druidic witch, or ADF influence hedgewitch or whatever... and see where it goes from there.
Maple
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 25, 2007, 01:30:16 pm

Religion: Druid/Hindu

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 30, 2007, 10:40:25 pm »

SHARE WITH ME!!! lol

I'm using druidry.org, aoda.org,  Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism and John Michael Greer's Druidry Handbook: A Spiritual practice rooted in the living earth.

When possible I talk to other Druids, however there are none in my community and you have to be careful when talking to people online.
shawn
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 06, 2008, 12:05:26 pm

Religion: celtic reconstructionist / irish

Dedicated to Taranis. God of storms.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 30, 2007, 12:34:37 pm »

SHARE WITH ME!!! lol

i am a reconstructionist.but i do not like adf.i do not like isaac bonowits.would i consider myself a druid?yes.i am dedicated to Torann (irish name of Taranis).i like henge of keltria,but there is one part of their rules that forbids me.i DO practice blood sacrifice.i know it is taboo.but i do it.just very rarely.i found (for me).i does bring me closer to Torann and The Morrigan.When bonowits dogged circle and veterans.it royally pissed me off.i am a vet.i am also a fan of circle.they do more for the pagan community than anyone.i study from history and mythology,not someone else's guide book.

It's raining,it's pouring.Storms are so adoring.
Thorn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 31, 2007, 11:36:15 am »

i am a reconstructionist.but i do not like adf.i do not like isaac bonowits.would i consider myself a druid?yes.i am dedicated to Torann (irish name of Taranis).i like henge of keltria,but there is one part of their rules that forbids me.i DO practice blood sacrifice.i know it is taboo.but i do it.just very rarely.i found (for me).i does bring me closer to Torann and The Morrigan.When bonowits dogged circle and veterans.it royally pissed me off.i am a vet.i am also a fan of circle.they do more for the pagan community than anyone.i study from history and mythology,not someone else's guide book.
Could you provide some reference to Bonewits' "dogging" (what exactly does that mean, anyway?) of veterans?  Also, was he speaking in any official capacity at the time? 

I ask because while Bonewits is the founder and therefore responsible for a lot of ADF's structure, etc, the organization has grown beyond him.  My experience with ADF has shown the group to be very supportive of warriors, both present and past.  My sweetie is a vet, and he's found them quite welcoming.

Also, does Henge of Keltria forbid blood sacrifice in private practice or just in official ritual?  In other words, are there members somehow forbidden from ever performing such an act, or only when acting as part of the group?
shawn
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 31, 2007, 12:02:28 pm »

Could you provide some reference to Bonewits' "dogging" (what exactly does that mean, anyway?) of veterans?  Also, was he speaking in any official capacity at the time?  It was back in the mid 90's he insulted vets. It was done in the ADF mag at that time.  I understand ADF has grown since then. But it something hard to forget. His accusations of Circle was also quite disturbing.

I ask because while Bonewits is the founder and therefore responsible for a lot of ADF's structure, etc, the organization has grown beyond him.  My experience with ADF has shown the group to be very supportive of warriors, both present and past.  My sweetie is a vet, and he's found them quite welcoming.

Also, does Henge of Keltria forbid blood sacrifice in private practice or just in official ritual?  In other words, are there members somehow forbidden from ever performing such an act, or only when acting as part of the group? The Henge from my understanding forbids it totally. As does ADF. I have not given up on The Henge of Keltria. Outside of that. I really like what i see. I will probly end of joining them and just do some things "in private". Right now though,i'm gonna wait until i move to Maine at the end of summer.

Thorn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 31, 2007, 01:18:48 pm »

The Henge from my understanding forbids it totally. As does ADF.
Actually there's been quite a discussion of that recently on the ADF lists.  The official position as clarified there (by several ADF officials including, IIRC, the current archdruid*) was that private rituals are not ADF (part of the point of ADF is that all rituals are open to the public) and that ADF does not dictate individual practices or ethics to its members.  So outside of official ritual, ADF members can sacrifice or not as they choose.

The decision was based on public relations not ethics, anyway.  And since private practicess supposedly don't fall into the PR realm, they couldn't care less.

Still curious about what Isaac said about vetrans?

*Unfortunately, I've recently cleaned out my e-mail archives so I no longer have the discussion at hand to back this up.  I could dig through the archives on their site if it's important to any one.  (Honestly, I'd rather not, though. Totally not a user-friendly form of communication.  I hate mailing lists!)
shawn
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 31, 2007, 02:45:34 pm »

Actually there's been quite a discussion of that recently on the ADF lists.  The official position as clarified there (by several ADF officials including, IIRC, the current archdruid*) was that private rituals are not ADF (part of the point of ADF is that all rituals are open to the public) and that ADF does not dictate individual practices or ethics to its members.  So outside of official ritual, ADF members can sacrifice or not as they choose.

The decision was based on public relations not ethics, anyway.  And since private practicess supposedly don't fall into the PR realm, they couldn't care less.

Still curious about what Isaac said about vetrans?

*Unfortunately, I've recently cleaned out my e-mail archives so I no longer have the discussion at hand to back this up.  I could dig through the archives on their site if it's important to any one.  (Honestly, I'd rather not, though. Totally not a user-friendly form of communication.  I hate mailing lists!)
I just looked at Henge of Keltria rules. It says boldly " At no time shall " when refering to blood sacrifice.

dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 31, 2007, 03:46:37 pm »

I just looked at Henge of Keltria rules. It says boldly " At no time shall " when refering to blood sacrifice.

I've searched through my dedicate manual, I don't see that, could you please tell me what page or where it is? 
shawn
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: December 31, 2007, 09:04:38 pm »

I've searched through my dedicate manual, I don't see that, could you please tell me what page or where it is? 
It is in their bylaws. Simply go to the website. Go to search. Type in "rules of sacrifice". You will find it toward the bottom. I wish Imbas was still going. Heard anything about them?

Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: December 31, 2007, 10:11:17 pm »

It is in their bylaws. Simply go to the website. Go to search. Type in "rules of sacrifice". You will find it toward the bottom.

Quote from: www.keltria.org
17.2. At NO TIME shall a grove or member of this organization espouse or engage in the practice of blood sacrifice; nor shall any Keltrian, as part of his or her religious practice participate in the torture, mutilation, enslavement, or abuse (physical or emotional) of any sentient creature for the purpose of enjoyment or spiritual gain. Any taking of life for the purpose of meeting physical needs shall be done only in accordance with civil law, and shall be conducted as humanely as possible.

Find it in original context HERE

I'm guessing this would be it. The wording doesn't specifically state that blood sacrifice is banned in an adherant's personal religious practice, it states that no Keltrian shall "participate in the torture, mutilation, enslavement, or abuse (physical or emotional) of any sentient creature for the purpose of enjoyment or spiritual gain". This leaves open the possibility for a clean sacrifice in which no torture or mutilation has taken place. It also leaves open the option to sacrifice as part of your own meal preparations if you feel that it is necessary (f/ex: killing and butchering a steer for meat to eat, and sacrificing part of the carcass to your god/goddesses).

Note that I don't necessarily agree or disagree with blood sacrifice, so it's not my intention to give my own opinion here.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 10:14:53 pm by Cathira, Reason: Fixing the darn link again... » Logged

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)