The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 12, 2020, 02:48:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 12, 2020, 02:48:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Any Druids Out There...  (Read 16167 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: December 31, 2007, 10:42:10 pm »

When bonowits dogged circle and veterans.

Isaac is Isaac. I remember the Circle stuff from when it happened and thought Isaac was a bit over the top then (although he had some good points) -- something I've often thought of Isaac. However, in general, I like him.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Coll9
Journeyman
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: December 31, 2007, 11:02:12 pm »

Still curious about what Isaac said about vetrans?

I believe this is the article in question. It didn't sit well with a lot of pagans, including me. After 9/11 I heard he published another essay where he changed his position, though I haven't read said essay myself.

http://www.ladyoftheearth.com/druids/warriors.txt
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: January 01, 2008, 01:08:57 pm »

Find it in original context HERE

I'm guessing this would be it. The wording doesn't specifically state that blood sacrifice is banned in an adherant's personal religious practice, it states that no Keltrian shall "participate in the torture, mutilation, enslavement, or abuse (physical or emotional) of any sentient creature for the purpose of enjoyment or spiritual gain". This leaves open the possibility for a clean sacrifice in which no torture or mutilation has taken place. It also leaves open the option to sacrifice as part of your own meal preparations if you feel that it is necessary (f/ex: killing and butchering a steer for meat to eat, and sacrificing part of the carcass to your god/goddesses).

Note that I don't necessarily agree or disagree with blood sacrifice, so it's not my intention to give my own opinion here.

Okay, my mistake, I thought he read it in the ADF manual.
shawn
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 06, 2008, 12:05:26 pm

Religion: celtic reconstructionist / irish

Dedicated to Taranis. God of storms.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: January 01, 2008, 03:44:14 pm »

Find it in original context HERE

I'm guessing this would be it. The wording doesn't specifically state that blood sacrifice is banned in an adherant's personal religious practice, it states that no Keltrian shall "participate in the torture, mutilation, enslavement, or abuse (physical or emotional) of any sentient creature for the purpose of enjoyment or spiritual gain". This leaves open the possibility for a clean sacrifice in which no torture or mutilation has taken place. It also leaves open the option to sacrifice as part of your own meal preparations if you feel that it is necessary (f/ex: killing and butchering a steer for meat to eat, and sacrificing part of the carcass to your god/goddesses).

Note that I don't necessarily agree or disagree with blood sacrifice, so it's not my intention to give my own opinion here.
Well i think the word "at no time" pretty much sums it up. Oh well. Who says i can't just do it anyway and not tell them? But i can easily count how many times in twelve years i have done it on one hand. Unless you count hunting. Or butchering for food. I have friends who are very devoted muslims. They explained to me their way of butchering properly. Basically like doing a proper blood sacrifice.

It's raining,it's pouring.Storms are so adoring.
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: January 02, 2008, 09:38:42 am »

I believe this is the article in question. It didn't sit well with a lot of pagans, including me. After 9/11 I heard he published another essay where he changed his position, though I haven't read said essay myself.

OK, yeah.  That's definition of "soldier" is offensive alright.  And shows a complete misunderstanding of what makes a good soldier.  As my (former 82nd Airborne) sweetie is always pointing out when faced with someone claiming they were "just following orders", part of his training was that he had the responsibility to disobey illegal orders. 

Fortunately, it doesn't reflect the attitude of the organization as I've experienced it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 09:41:36 am by Thorn, Reason: Posted too soon » Logged
Thorn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: January 02, 2008, 09:44:32 am »

The wording doesn't specifically state that blood sacrifice is banned in an adherant's personal religious practice,
Huh?

17.2. At NO TIME shall a grove or member of this organization espouse or engage in the practice of blood sacrifice;
Seems like a pretty straightforward and encompassing ban to me.
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: January 02, 2008, 09:44:38 am »

It was also written 17 yrs ago.  This isn't the attitude I've seen or experienced now.
Thorn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: January 02, 2008, 10:17:03 am »

It was also written 17 yrs ago.  This isn't the attitude I've seen or experienced now.
It doesn't seem he's changed his opinion too much.  This was written in 2005, as part of an essay about getting liberal candidates elected.  He's going on about the traditional struggle between the priest class and the warrior class:

Don't make the mistake of promoting your liberal or libertarian candidates as warriors, because those voters who identify with the military mindset will always be more loyal to the warrior class and its conservative leaders than to the welfare of the general population as a whole (hence the "Swiftboat Veterans for Propaganda"). "Renegade" military men who criticize the military--for anything, ever, but especially if their claims are justified--are the kiss of death for the veterans' vote.
http://www.neopagan.net/Geeks-vs-Jocks.html  (I've done some googling after my last question.)

Not quite as incendiary, and certainly not officially ADF in any way, but still not soldier-friendly by any means.

His attitude just strikes me as that of an old-time hippy activist who's never been, and never known, an actual soldier.  There is some truth in what he says about many veterans distrust of military men who criticize the military, but I don't think the reason he's citing for it is anything like valid.  There's no great conspircacy - some people genuinely believe that a strong military is exactly what is needed for the "welfare of the general population," and people who have served in the military have more reason to hold this opinion.  (Depending, of course, on where they've served and what they've seen.)

(Just an aside, does this need to be moved to a new thread?  It's an interesting conversation, but has little or nothing to do with the original post.)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #23: January 02, 2008, 10:26:09 am »

(Just an aside, does this need to be moved to a new thread?  It's an interesting conversation, but has little or nothing to do with the original post.)

*shrug*  Thread drift happens.  If we tried to separate out the conversation each time it happened, we'd need more staff members to be able to handle it--it seems to happen a lot here.  Smiley  We do try to keep social drift in "serious" discussions down, but as this is actual discussion rather than just random bits of silliness (etc.), I think it's probably fine.

Which is to say, I don't think that we mods need to worry about splitting the thread and moving it, and I'm not going to step in as a mod and say "this needs moved to a new thread", but if you feel like it would be a good thing to start a new thread to continue the topic you're more than welcome to do so.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Coll9
Journeyman
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: January 02, 2008, 02:19:18 pm »

Not quite as incendiary, and certainly not officially ADF in any way, but still not soldier-friendly by any means.

His attitude just strikes me as that of an old-time hippy activist who's never been, and never known, an actual soldier.  T

Exactly.

He's a smart man when it comes to paganism but politics, well, he's just too far-left for my tastes.
Keriander
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 25, 2010, 09:07:59 am
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Still searching

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: February 28, 2008, 06:00:32 am »

SHARE WITH ME!!! lol

It would be great if someone could name a few other good books about druidism. I only know Phillip Carr-Gomm, but I'd like to read works of other authors too.  Wink

What "flavour" of Drudism are you interested?

What flavours áre there?

"I will not fear or stray afar, for Brighid is my guiding star."
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #26: February 28, 2008, 07:38:51 am »

What flavours áre there?

Here is a good comparison of two flavors, ADF and OBOD, written by a man who is a member of both: http://www.adf.org/about/adf-and-obod.html
OBOD's website: http://www.druidry.org

And there are a couple others I know of but don't know anything about.
http://druidnetwork.org/en
http://www.aoda.org/
http://www.fodla.org/resources/index.html

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Dame Guenn Eona Nimue
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 09:59:40 pm

Religion: Pagan/Druidic

Dame Guenn Eona Nimue

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: August 24, 2010, 01:47:46 pm »

Here is a good comparison of two flavors, ADF and OBOD, written by a man who is a member of both: http://www.adf.org/about/adf-and-obod.html
OBOD's website: http://www.druidry.org

And there are a couple others I know of but don't know anything about.
http://druidnetwork.org/en
http://www.aoda.org/
http://www.fodla.org/resources/index.html

Hello everyone! My name is Dame Guenn Eona Nimue and I am a new member!

I will just repeat my bio here and add a couple of things.

My interests can be summarized as follows: The pursuit of truth through expanded knowledge and ever increasing awareness of the world and cosmos within which we all live (both visible and invisible), and the dissemination of that truth through inspired writings and painterly representations of the spirit beings who assist me.

At eighty-four, I do not consider myself "officially" affiliated with any Pagan or Druid group, having worked as a solitaire these many years. To me, being Pagan/Druidic means accepting as brothers and sisters all those who seek wisdom, truth and love in the hope of self improvement and greater understanding.

With regard to the Pagan/Druidic tradition, in my family, it goes all the way back to my great grandmother, Ange M. Mosher, who wrote “The Spell Of Brittany”, published in 1920 (very informative), and was highly regarded on both sides of the Atlantic for her life long study of Celtic folklore. The site my son (the fifth generation on the path) created for me is representative of my life's work and I hope all find it an enriching and enjoyable experience.

You may also find of interest books written by my grandfather John M. Robertson, a self educated scholar whose work is still valued to this day in the forming of a well rounded knowledge of the origins of various religious paths (check out Pagan Christs, 1900, if your interested) throughout history.

Yours in Light, Guenn 
Sekhmet's Servant
Journeyman
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:00:05 am

Religion: Celtic Reconstructionist/Hard Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: October 04, 2010, 04:53:31 pm »

I'm using druidry.org, aoda.org,  Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism and John Michael Greer's Druidry Handbook: A Spiritual practice rooted in the living earth.

When possible I talk to other Druids, however there are none in my community and you have to be careful when talking to people online.

Hello, I"m a Druid, though I left the path sometime ago. I'm returning so I guess that would mean that I'm a returning Druid. I do have Bonewits book and I heard that the Druidry Handbook is very good. Your right, Maple, about talking to people on-line. You have to be careful but I"m a Druid and I'll try and help you down your path.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #29: October 04, 2010, 08:56:23 pm »

Your right, Maple, about talking to people on-line. You have to be careful but I"m a Druid and I'll try and help you down your path.

Just a note:  The thread dates back to 2007 and it looks like Maple hasn't logged in since about then, so I'm thinking s/he will probably not see your message.  (Which doesn't mean that someone else might not find it helpful, though!  Smiley )

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)