The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 29, 2020, 12:28:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2020, 12:28:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing a friend to paganism  (Read 7845 times)
Diannaskye
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 16, 2008, 05:41:18 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 15, 2007, 12:59:55 pm »

Okay.... Well, you see, I have this boyfriend-type person who I'm wanting to introduce to Paganism. Not in a I-think-he-should-become-Pagan sort of way, but more of a I-want-him-to-know-more-about-my-path sort of way. Unfortunately, while we have plenty of good books, they're all from a Wiccan point of view.

I want to show him what Paganism is, itself, and not Wicca. What I'm looking for is a book that will have short definitions of some of the different paths and a description of the term itself. I know the Pagan Primer on the previous website would be useful, but I'm hoping for something on-paper, as that would make it simpler for both of us (and if I emailed him a link, he checks his email once a month or so, so I would have to wait a while to hear back from him on it).

If you have any recommendations (especially ones that might be in the library), I would be much obliged.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 15, 2007, 01:17:42 pm »

Okay.... Well, you see, I have this boyfriend-type person who I'm wanting to introduce to Paganism. Not in a I-think-he-should-become-Pagan sort of way, but more of a I-want-him-to-know-more-about-my-path sort of way. Unfortunately, while we have plenty of good books, they're all from a Wiccan point of view.

I want to show him what Paganism is, itself, and not Wicca. What I'm looking for is a book that will have short definitions of some of the different paths and a description of the term itself. I know the Pagan Primer on the previous website would be useful, but I'm hoping for something on-paper, as that would make it simpler for both of us (and if I emailed him a link, he checks his email once a month or so, so I would have to wait a while to hear back from him on it).

If you have any recommendations (especially ones that might be in the library), I would be much obliged.

What path do you follow?  It might be more helpful for us to know a little more about your practice (as it is) before we can recommend anything, cause as you know, there's a whole lot of stuff out there.

Of course, you could just always write your own "pagan primer"...  Roll Eyes

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Diannaskye
Senior Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 15, 2007, 01:46:32 pm »

What path do you follow?  It might be more helpful for us to know a little more about your practice (as it is) before we can recommend anything, cause as you know, there's a whole lot of stuff out there.

Of course, you could just always write your own "pagan primer"...  Roll Eyes

I'm an ecclectic. Mostly Shamanic/Dianic with a little bit of Norse and Kemetic thrown in along the way...

And yes, I know that is an odd combination.

Writing one of my own... that'd take forever. And I'd be writing fifteen gazillion drafts so it'd take a while. It's something I'd rather him know about sooner than later.
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 15, 2007, 01:48:17 pm »

What I'm looking for is a book that will have short definitions of some of the different paths and a description of the term itself.

Honestly, I don't think one exists. Undecided I haven't seen much in the way of defining multiple religions, especially without a particular bias or another, besides the Pagan Primer.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Makamu
Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2010, 01:52:54 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: Henotheistic Christian with polytheistic leanings

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 15, 2007, 02:01:52 pm »

I want to show him what Paganism is, itself, and not Wicca. What I'm looking for is a book that will have short definitions of some of the different paths and a description of the term itself. (...)

While I agree with Finn that a short description of your own path might be useful I have a few books I found useful in getting a better grasp on Pagan religions and spiritualities:

There is of course the ever-popular "Drawing Down the Moon" by Margot Adler, which is an overview over the Pagan subcultures and has been in print since 1977. She brought out a new and updated edition just last year and, although I have not yet bought the new edition I recommend you get this. Warning: This is a big book and may seem rather dry in places.

Apart from that, I recommend "Being Pagan" by Ellen Evert-Hopmann. This collection of interviews was published in the early 90s and forms a nice bridge between the second and third editions of "DDtM". It covers a lot of kinds of Paganism and some rare ones as well, though the Reconstructionists are mostly left out here as well, like in most books.

These are the non-fiction books I would recommens regardless of your path

In terms of fiction I heartily recommend the so-called Bast Mysteries, which ring very true to me in terms of characters and description of possible Pagan interactions. But this may be just me, who has not been to a Pagan event yet, so have the salt handy.

Hope this helps, until the more widely-read people who can give practical advice jump in Smiley

Makamu
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 15, 2007, 02:39:30 pm »

I want to show him what Paganism is, itself, and not Wicca. What I'm looking for is a book that will have short definitions of some of the different paths and a description of the term itself.

You may want to check out "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Paganism."  It's not perfect by far and away, but it does define commonly used terms many Pagans will encounter, and it very briefly defines quite a few of the Pagan religions.  It's not all-encompassing by far, but it's not all that terrible.  Might be just what you are looking for to show your boyfriend-type person.

If he expresses interest beyond that, I'm sure others here would have a plethora of great Pagan-topic books for him to look into.

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Thesaly
Journeyman
Last Login:May 13, 2008, 06:10:33 pm

Religion: Ecclectic Wiccan (for now)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 15, 2007, 04:17:25 pm »

There is of course the ever-popular "Drawing Down the Moon" by Margot Adler, which is an overview over the Pagan subcultures and has been in print since 1977. She brought out a new and updated edition just last year and, although I have not yet bought the new edition I recommend you get this. Warning: This is a big book and may seem rather dry in places.

I'll second this one, and repeat the caveat that it is a big, thick book (in relative terms), but that you probably won't be able to give anyone a good idea of the scope of "Pagan" without A Big, Thick Book.  The subtitle is Witches, Druids, and Other Neopagans in America Today, and that really is what it covers. 

I own a copy of the 1986 edition, but I flipped through the most recent edition in the bookstore a few weeks ago and was happy to see a more current and more accurate history of Wicca than the earlier editions had.  I don't know what it says about other flavors of paganism, but I'd expect them to be similarly updated.  After all, she was a journalist before she was a Witch.
Diannaskye
Senior Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 15, 2007, 06:30:44 pm »

You may want to check out "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Paganism."  It's not perfect by far and away, but it does define commonly used terms many Pagans will encounter, and it very briefly defines quite a few of the Pagan religions.  It's not all-encompassing by far, but it's not all that terrible.  Might be just what you are looking for to show your boyfriend-type person.

If he expresses interest beyond that, I'm sure others here would have a plethora of great Pagan-topic books for him to look into.

I will have to check that out. Not just to see if it has suitable info, but also because I love that name Tongue

We do have like *the* oldest version of Drawing Down the Moon, but I found it rather dull. And uninteresting. And other such things.
(Although I didn't find it nearly as hard to read as the Egyptian book of the dead. Sorry Egypt, that was rather dead reading.)
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 15, 2007, 09:23:31 pm »

I'm an ecclectic. Mostly Shamanic/Dianic with a little bit of Norse and Kemetic thrown in along the way...

And yes, I know that is an odd combination.

Writing one of my own... that'd take forever. And I'd be writing fifteen gazillion drafts so it'd take a while. It's something I'd rather him know about sooner than later.

Haha... yeah, I know what you mean about writing your own taking forever.

I'd agree with Zahirah; The Complete Idiot's Guide was actually my first thought, but somehow I thought it a little... I dunno, "less" than what you were looking for.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Sage Rainsong
Last Login:March 23, 2007, 09:42:22 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 16, 2007, 10:03:25 am »

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here. Anyway, one of the best all around Pagan books in my opinion is The Everything Paganism Book by Selene Silverwind: http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Paganism-Book-Traditions-Festivals/dp/1593371187

IMHO I liked it better than the idiots guide because I felt that it was a little too heavy on Wicca for a Pan-Pagan book.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: March 16, 2007, 10:37:06 am »

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here.

Welcome to the Cauldron.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: March 16, 2007, 10:42:55 am »

Hey everyone,

Welcome to The Cauldron, Rainsong!

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 16, 2007, 12:40:09 pm »

Hmmm...there is the book Which Witch Is Which? by Patricia Telesco, which contains essays by folks who practice different pagan religions. It doesn't really give a lot of definitions per se, but it does give a short intro to a lot of different religions in the words of someone who actually practices.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 16, 2007, 01:07:12 pm »

IMHO I liked it better than the idiots guide because I felt that it was a little too heavy on Wicca for a Pan-Pagan book.

The subtitle, "Discover the Rituals, Traditions, and Festivals of This Ancient Religion" doesn't make me think it's too awfully accurate.  Paganism isn't a religion.  It's a whole hairy mess of 'em.  Many of which aren't ancient.

If this book doesn't have a Wiccan bias, can you tell us which pagan religions it covers?

Brina
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:May 26, 2020, 06:18:11 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: March 16, 2007, 06:16:45 pm »

Welcome to The Cauldron!

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)