The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 13, 2020, 08:08:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 13, 2020, 08:08:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Earth and Fire  (Read 12585 times)
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm
United States United States

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 09, 2007, 07:27:33 pm »

I have an idea for a tattoo (which I'm hoping to convince my husband would be a great Christmas present), but can't draw.  Interested?

I'll give it a shot. What are you thinking of?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: September 09, 2007, 07:34:40 pm »

I'll give it a shot. What are you thinking of?

A blue Celtic harp with 3 strings, on which each string will have 3 ogam symbols, superimposed over a large, green traditional Brighid's cross, encircled somehow by abstract flames and water.

Make any sense at all?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 09, 2007, 07:40:34 pm »

A blue Celtic harp with 3 strings, on which each string will have 3 ogam symbols, superimposed over a large, green traditional Brighid's cross, encircled somehow by abstract flames and water.

Make any sense at all?

wow that's a tough one! Shocked I don't know how good I can do with it. But it would be an interesting challenge!! yes it does make sense to me, it'll be a little bit until I can get to it though; I am still adjusting to a new job.

ETA: by "a little bit" I mean a few days to a week.

AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 09, 2007, 07:45:13 pm »

The only thing I would be worried about is that it's get too crowded with so much stuff and so many colors. I'd probably drop the strings and just have the symbols. And maybe just chose to do red and blue in the elements and leave the cross and harp black and white.
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 09, 2007, 07:55:42 pm »

The only thing I would be worried about is that it's get too crowded with so much stuff and so many colors. I'd probably drop the strings and just have the symbols. And maybe just chose to do red and blue in the elements and leave the cross and harp black and white.

Actually I'm not sure which ogham symbols Moon was thinking of, but I was going to use the strings as *part of* the symbols. Depending on size, though, it might get too crowded and you'll need a very good tattooist to pull it off.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: September 09, 2007, 10:02:47 pm »

Actually I'm not sure which ogham symbols Moon was thinking of, but I was going to use the strings as *part of* the symbols. Depending on size, though, it might get too crowded and you'll need a very good tattooist to pull it off.

Exacty.  The strings are the vertical line of the ogam feda.  So it's refularly hapr strings, with small lines either extending from them to the left or right, or crossing them, depending on the specific symbol.  See here for examples of the symbols:

http://www.shee-eire.com/Magic&Mythology/Ogham/Ogham.htm

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: September 09, 2007, 10:12:13 pm »

Exacty.  The strings are the vertical line of the ogam feda.  So it's refularly hapr strings, with small lines either extending from them to the left or right, or crossing them, depending on the specific symbol.  See here for examples of the symbols:

That tattoo sounds quite lovely and quite right for you  Wink--which feda are you doing?

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: September 09, 2007, 10:43:33 pm »

That tattoo sounds quite lovely and quite right for you  Wink--which feda are you doing?

I'm not positve yet.  B, L, D, and T for sure.  Maybe I,G, H.  Maybe O.  Maybe Sr.  That's 9, so that might be the 9.

I need to see if the graphic concept will work at all, since I'm so visually-impaired when it comes to "seeing" pictures.

My daughter's boyfriend is also an artist and got excited about this when I described it.  So maybe, between him, Dania, and any other artist who is interested (Aionia?), something wrokable as a tattoo will emerge.

I know it'll have to be pretty big -- I'm thinking shoulder blade sized, or so.  (Left side.)

Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #23: September 10, 2007, 02:30:28 pm »

I need to see if the graphic concept will work at all, since I'm so visually-impaired when it comes to "seeing" pictures.

I believe it will. I can visualize it pretty well.

Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #24: September 10, 2007, 04:02:44 pm »

Here's what I came up with:

Sorry about the bad scan. If you like the design and decide what ogham symbols you want, I'll add them in and then get you a better scan Smiley

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #25: September 10, 2007, 04:54:20 pm »

Sorry about the bad scan. If you like the design and decide what ogham symbols you want, I'll add them in and then get you a better scan Smiley

One note on harps is that if you have the strings running vertical like that, it's totally unplayable (and will get a bunch of musicians staring at it going "Huh. Erm. You know that's unplayable, right?")

What you want is strings running from the top piece to the soundboard (which is the slanted vertical piece that rests against the harpist while playing.) The image on http://gleewood.org/ is from a color-manipulated photo of my harp: it shows the angles pretty nicely.

[edited to pull the image out, for loading time, since it's right above]

(Other than that: cool design!)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #26: September 10, 2007, 05:00:33 pm »

One note on harps is that if you have the strings running vertical like that, it's totally unplayable (and will get a bunch of musicians staring at it going "Huh. Erm. You know that's unplayable, right?")

What you want is strings running from the top piece to the soundboard (which is the slanted vertical piece that rests against the harpist while playing.) The image on http://gleewood.org/ is from a color-manipulated photo of my harp: it shows the angles pretty nicely.

[edited to pull the image out, for loading time, since it's right above]

(Other than that: cool design!)

Yea, I guess you're right. I knew that. I was looking at a pretty crummy reference photo though; d'oh. Bad angle, couldn't see what I was looking at. Can you tell I've never actually played a harp? (would love to, though!)

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: September 11, 2007, 10:53:40 pm »

Here's what I came up with:

Wow!!!  That is gorgeous!

Making the strings diagonal seems like a good idea...  Even so, though, do you thing the ogam symbols would read against the dark green Brighid's cross?  Maybe there's anothe way to incorporate them...?

This is very close to what is in my head.  I especially love the way the waves turn into flames.

Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #28: September 12, 2007, 02:27:16 pm »

Wow!!!  That is gorgeous!

Making the strings diagonal seems like a good idea...  Even so, though, do you thing the ogam symbols would read against the dark green Brighid's cross?  Maybe there's anothe way to incorporate them...?

This is very close to what is in my head.  I especially love the way the waves turn into flames.

I think they would show up. The problem is going to be changing the strings around in the drawing now...I might have to totally re-draw it in order to do it. Why did I have to find a bad reference pic...

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #29: September 12, 2007, 03:07:27 pm »

I think they would show up. The problem is going to be changing the strings around in the drawing now...I might have to totally re-draw it in order to do it. Why did I have to find a bad reference pic...

If you're going to be re-drawing it anyway, why not leave the strings vertical and slant the harp itself, as if it was leaning against an invisible harpist?  That way you can still do the runes in a vertical line.  I don't know if that's important at all, but it might be more easy to see them 'upright' than slanted or staggered along a diagonal.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)