The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 20, 2021, 01:49:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2021, 01:49:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: help on understanding our moon please  (Read 6586 times)
celticemerald
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 18, 2007, 02:18:50 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: catholic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 09, 2007, 02:23:37 pm »

Hi I am celticemerald and new... I have a question and really hope that you can help me... I am currently learning (and i have lots to learn of wicca) but my question is, why is it when there is a full moon... my emotions go totally hay wire and to be honest I love the moon although I can't work out why I am affected this way so I look forward to seeing your replies and thank you all in advance, blessings,

celticemerald   Smiley
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 02:55:13 pm by HeartShadow - Genevieve Wood, Reason: removing italics » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: September 09, 2007, 02:56:10 pm »

Hi I am celticemerald and new... I have a question and really hope that you can help me... I am currently learning (and i have lots to learn of wicca) but my question is, why is it when there is a full moon... my emotions go totally hay wire and to be honest I love the moon although I can't work out why I am affected this way so I look forward to seeing your replies and thank you all in advance, blessings,

celticemerald   Smiley

Welcome to the Cauldron!

Can you please NOT use italics for an entire post?  It makes them very hard to read.  I removed your italics brackets so your post is legible.  Thank you - HeartShadow, Cauldron Staff

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
celticemerald
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 09, 2007, 03:45:48 pm »

Welcome to the Cauldron!

Can you please NOT use italics for an entire post?  It makes them very hard to read.  I removed your italics brackets so your post is legible.  Thank you - HeartShadow, Cauldron Staff

I am awful sorry... blessings,

celticemerald
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 09, 2007, 06:32:07 pm »

why is it when there is a full moon... my emotions go totally hay wire and to be honest I love the moon although I can't work out why I am affected this way.

Checking out Wikipedia would be nice, because they usually have sections where the effects of the moon are mentioned in folklore.

I suspect it happens to a lot of people, but it effects people differently. I usually get a little more excited and motivated to do things, or I like going out to howl at the moon!  Cheesy

I'm sure you'll get better responses from other people. Smiley

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 10, 2007, 11:40:29 am »

There can be lots of different reasons.

1) For women, there're some obvious possible linkages between hormonal cycles and lunar cycles (since the menstrual cycle often runs about the same as a lunar month)

There's also some less-obvious ones, though. When I first started seriously exploring Wicca, I went through a period of four or five months where I was utterly exhausted on the full moon: I'd come home from work, fall into bed, sleep for 10-12 hours, and do the same thing the next day. At the new moon, I'd be wired and have trouble sleeping.

My guess is that it has something to do with hormonal levels, plus an interaction with the greater focus on lunar cycles, plus the effect of the birth control pill I was on (though I'd been on that brand for some time before this started.) It got better after a few months.

2) Related to #1 - sometimes we do things, at different stages in our cycles, that affect how we feel. If these link up to the lunar cycle in some way, you may get a double whammy. Food is a big one here: if you go from eating a reasonably balanced diet to having (and feeding) lots of cravings (as some women do at a particular stage in their menstrual cycle), you may find yourself with mood swings or other emotional responses.

(Incidentally, my experience is that either giving into the craving entirely *or* ignoring it entirely get me into trouble: the best balance for me is to find something that satisfies the craving, but that won't  keep me from eating other stuff that's good and necessary.)

3) Menstrual cycles are the most obvious hormonal cycle, but they're not the only one. (And guys have hormonal cycles too.) And they're not the only possible cycle in your body or your life.

If you consistently have trouble or weirdness, it's worth tracking what you do for a few months (what you're eating, in general, how you're sleeping, how you feel when you wake up, etc.) and seeing if there are any patterns.

It's also good to look at what's going on around you: if, say, you live with someone else who tends to be moody during the full moon, for reasons of their own, it may be that that's a large part of what's affecting you. (In this case, looking at grounding and shielding techniques would probably be useful.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
celticemerald
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 10, 2007, 05:02:22 pm »

There can be lots of different reasons.

1) For women, there're some obvious possible linkages between hormonal cycles and lunar cycles (since the menstrual cycle often runs about the same as a lunar month)

There's also some less-obvious ones, though. When I first started seriously exploring Wicca, I went through a period of four or five months where I was utterly exhausted on the full moon: I'd come home from work, fall into bed, sleep for 10-12 hours, and do the same thing the next day. At the new moon, I'd be wired and have trouble sleeping.

My guess is that it has something to do with hormonal levels, plus an interaction with the greater focus on lunar cycles, plus the effect of the birth control pill I was on (though I'd been on that brand for some time before this started.) It got better after a few months.

2) Related to #1 - sometimes we do things, at different stages in our cycles, that affect how we feel. If these link up to the lunar cycle in some way, you may get a double whammy. Food is a big one here: if you go from eating a reasonably balanced diet to having (and feeding) lots of cravings (as some women do at a particular stage in their menstrual cycle), you may find yourself with mood swings or other emotional responses.

(Incidentally, my experience is that either giving into the craving entirely *or* ignoring it entirely get me into trouble: the best balance for me is to find something that satisfies the craving, but that won't  keep me from eating other stuff that's good and necessary.)

3) Menstrual cycles are the most obvious hormonal cycle, but they're not the only one. (And guys have hormonal cycles too.) And they're not the only possible cycle in your body or your life.

If you consistently have trouble or weirdness, it's worth tracking what you do for a few months (what you're eating, in general, how you're sleeping, how you feel when you wake up, etc.) and seeing if there are any patterns.

It's also good to look at what's going on around you: if, say, you live with someone else who tends to be moody during the full moon, for reasons of their own, it may be that that's a large part of what's affecting you. (In this case, looking at grounding and shielding techniques would probably be useful.)

Hi Jenett... thank you very much for your post, as I found it very interesting to read... I am also a natural empathic which most likely doesn't help things either... I do eat a healthy diet and yes can be related to menstrual cycles although I honestly don't think it is with me,

I also ground and protect everyday and have my own cloak which I received from my guides so have it also on at all times... I think I will maybe look at a different techique of grounding and protecting although my own method is quite powerful as i use extra protection too (visualising gold all around me, getting thicker and thicker each day)

Thank you again for getting back to me... blessings,

celticemerald
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 11, 2007, 10:46:07 am »

I also ground and protect everyday and have my own cloak which I received from my guides so have it also on at all times... I think I will maybe look at a different techique of grounding and protecting although my own method is quite powerful as i use extra protection too (visualising gold all around me, getting thicker and thicker each day)

The way you phrase this makes me wonder if this might be part of the issue.

One problem with heavy and extensive shielding is that it can trap stuff in with you, as well as keep stuff out - think of the same stuff bouncing around and around in a little snowglobe, with you in the middle, more or less.

I hit problems like this early on (I shield regularly due to picking up a lot of empathic 'static' and functioning a lot better when I filter it). The best suggestions I got on it went like this...

1) Know why you're shielding.

Most people don't need tons and tons of protection, per se. If what you need is filtering other people's emotional junk out, is shielding the best or only way to do that? It may be that some combination of approaches would work better, (for example, lighter shielding, and regular psychic hygiene work, like a longer more formal grounding and centering meditation, salt water bath, aura scraping, a different grounding and centering and balancing routine, inclusion of something else in a daily devotional practice, etc.)

2) Take the shields down regularly and fully, for at least an hour or two at a time.

I started doing energy work and shielding when I was in college (and still Catholic) out of a sheer need to deal with stuff that was overwhelming.

Taking them down in the dorms was problematic: lots of people living in close proximity can be exhausting to deal with. But I did layer protection on my actual room - and I'd take my personal shielding down when I was in Mass or other places (a concert, for example: I was a music major) where people were generally focused on a single thing.

For lack of a better phrase, it both let my skin breathe, and reminded me what I missed with dense shielding up. It was - and is - a good reminder that I may need to make adjustments over time. These days, they come down consciously when I'm in group ritual space, group teaching space, and at home.

3) Using other tools to help manage energy.

I'm highly musically inclined, but one thing I've discovered is that I'm a lot more resilient to external input (and a lot less inclined to be moody) when I regularly listen to specific kinds of music. (Reading specific kinds of things also helps.) When I start getting into the somewhat-moody place, I first try a couple of specific cures that usually work (long bath with something relaxing or rebalancing in it, listening to or dancing to music for 20-60 minutes, stretching, curling up on the bed and reading for a few minutes, specific kinds of meditative work or energetic rebalancing work, etc.) I know people who use a cup of tea the same way.

Which one I pick varies a lot based on what's handy (I always have an iPod handy, so if I'm having issues while at work I can usually arrange 20 minutes by myself working in the back room to listen to it.) And what the issue is. It took some trial and error to figure out the more efficient choices.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: September 11, 2007, 06:35:24 pm »

One problem with heavy and extensive shielding is that it can trap stuff in with you, as well as keep stuff out - think of the same stuff bouncing around and around in a little snowglobe, with you in the middle, more or less.

Another way folks can get rid of this stuff without keeping their shields down for an hour or two every day is to take them down just long enough to do some type of strong banishing (the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram is my choice as that's what I learned first) and then put them back up. This does not have the other benefits of keeping the shield down for a hour or two, but it will stop stuff from bouncing around inside your shields.

In those rare situations where you can't do without shielding at all, you can still do something like this, you just have to set up protections outside yourself (a large magic circle, for example), banish the stuff inside your shield into the larger safe area, quickly put your shields back up, then lower the outer protections. Some stuff may have bounced back by the time you get your shields back up, but you will still have gotten much of it out.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Tj
Journeyman
Last Login:May 10, 2009, 01:36:26 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Daoist Shaman (I also associate the various spirits with their khemetic names).

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 11, 2007, 10:39:47 pm »

celticemerald   Smiley

I am not sure how true this is, but I heard in places that the moons gravity (which is felt most in your area, when it is full moon for you) has some effects on the brain waves. Or some such thing. This is where the word "Loonatic" comes from, from the latin stem luna- meaning moon.

This is at least a commonly held belief an "old wives tale" if you will. Also common in various folklore as someone here mentioned previously.

Wiki "Lunatic" for more info.

-Tj

The earth is my home
the universe my temple
and nature: my god.
Nylphenia
Apprentice
Last Login:September 29, 2007, 09:39:21 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: witch = n/a

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 12, 2007, 03:15:42 am »

celticemerald   Smiley

i used to be very effected by the moon at it's different cycles... then i tried using the full moon for scrying... meditating and then opening myself to the energy of the moon, de-focusing my eyes as i gaze at it and seeing what messages it held for me - since starting to do this.. the moon has not affected my emotional state. - something you might try... maybe it is holding some messages for you too? anything is worth a try no?
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: September 12, 2007, 08:11:37 am »

celticemerald   Smiley

This is purely anecdotal evidence, but I have witnessed what appears to be behavioral changes associated with the full moon. For ten years I worked for a large ARC chapter (Association for Retarded Citizens). I worked in the adult services building where we had over 400 retarded, autistic, TBI, and various others that ranged from low functioning to pretty high functioning. It was the day program where no one lived there but came for the day for treatment, or to work in the packaging business as a vocation.

There were always lots of behavior problems and staff frequently went home with injuries when the "clients" as they were called got violent and such. Anyway, for unexplained reasons, days of the full moon were not looked forward to. The incidents of the clients  behavior problems seemed to increase greatly on those days.

Like I said, this is anecdotal at best, but to us staff, it was real enough.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 12, 2007, 12:05:41 pm »

why is it when there is a full moon... my emotions go totally hay wire and to be honest I love the moon
The way I've always understood it is this:  Our bodies are mostly water, emotions are ruled by the element of water, and the moon has a strong influence on water (tides, etc.)
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: September 12, 2007, 12:47:12 pm »

When I worked in Psychiatric, I saw that kind of thing once or twice.  Most full moons weren't really any different from most evenings mind.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
celticemerald
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 12, 2007, 02:28:23 pm »

When I worked in Psychiatric, I saw that kind of thing once or twice.  Most full moons weren't really any different from most evenings mind.

I would like to thank you all very much for posting back to me with help and suggestions in which I will put into practice... I would also like to say that to me with what i have experienced with the full moon (although again I love the moon) I have not experienced anything positive so you can be sure I most certainly will be trying these techiques...

I will keep you up to date...

Thank you all again... blessings,

celticemerald
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member
Last Login:March 11, 2008, 07:07:34 am

Religion: Brighideach Druid (OBOD) and a little bit of witchery thrown in.

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 12, 2007, 04:15:31 pm »

I only ever did a few full moon shifts in psych, but they were always mad(der than usual).  I usually worked on "normal" wards in a hospital and full moon nights were always just nuts, you'd be lucky to get five minutes for a break in 12 1/2 hours.  We didn't like them...

Having said that, it could be that because we were expecting it to be worse, it was.  Who knows?

Mae'r cariad at fy ngwlad yn berwi yn fy ngwaed.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)