The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2019, 05:14:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 05:14:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on using the Tarot  (Read 7209 times)
NorthStar
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 19, 2007, 07:35:42 pm
United States United States

Religion: uncertain but looking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 09, 2007, 03:12:09 pm »

Recently I got rid of a deck of Tarot cards that didn't work well with me at all. They were cheap and were part of a gift that someone gave me in a "learn Tarot!" kit. I loved that someone bought it for me, but that deck never gave me clear or even discernable answers, even though I'd had it for three or four years.

My question is, was it that the deck and I didn't work well together, or that Tarot's just not my thing? I already use the I Ching, which I love because it gives me clear, concise answers constantly. I am interested in Tarot; I just don't know if it works with me or if it was just the deck used.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 09, 2007, 03:26:35 pm »

My question is, was it that the deck and I didn't work well together, or that Tarot's just not my thing?

It very well could have been the deck. I had a deck that just would not give me straight answers. It was always screwing with me - on one issue I could pull ten different answers, varying from doom and gloom to okay to great news. I never was able to get the deck to work for me, so I got rid of it. In my experience, decks are like people - some get along, and others don't.

I currently don't have a real tarot deck, but I do have Brian Froud's Fairy Oracle deck, and that deck is much friendlier. I get straightforward answers, and it is always interactive. Of course, my cat does help me pick my cards, so I can't speak for certain if the deck works for me or for my Stewie!  Grin  Cheesy
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #2: September 09, 2007, 05:18:22 pm »

My question is, was it that the deck and I didn't work well together, or that Tarot's just not my thing?

It could be either.  I can use almost any deck, and some things that are only vaguely cardlike even (try 'shuffling' leaves some time -g ), but every time I've tried to use the Thoth I have ended up feeling ridiculously self-conscious.  It's as if someone is looking over my shoulder shaking his head at the depth I'm missing.  Some decks seem to consistently give me the same 'kind' of reading, no matter what the question is.  Overly white-light, the querent already has the answer, trust yourself type readings, or overly doom and gloom no matter who shuffles.  Some just seem to come with personality quirks that don't match my own.

If other methods work better for you I would go with them, but don't make tarot out of the question completely.  You may run across a deck that calls out to you, even though it may not give instant clarity.   Some decks are only rewarding after a lot of work, but there are hints of those rewards the first time you look at it.  The one you had probably didn't speak to that part of you that forms those connections.

For myself, as I've said, I can't use a Thoth deck.  I also dislike using decks with no pictures on the pips.  Even though I still know the meanings of the cards in question I like the visual impact of the little scenes.  I like a certain range of colours - too much gold in a deck puts me off.  These are personal quirks, but divination is a personal art, affected by the readers comfort, pleasure, and satisfaction levels.  The better a deck matches with the reader the more information it will give, and at the same time the less 'interference' between image and knowledge.  I almost feel like my prime is invisible because it is so much an extension of me in so many ways, like I'm reading the ends of my fingers almost.

Tarot isn't for everyone, just as pendulums aren't for everyone (they just hang there for me).  If it's not for you then it's not for you.  You've only used the one deck, though, so it could easily just be a mismatch.  Wait and see, and keep your eyes and mind open.

Absent

BTW, how did you get rid of it?  Did you give it to someone who admired it?  That's how I got my first one, and the woman who gave it to me was amazed at how clearly it spoke to me.  She later got a quite different one  (Servants of the Light, I think) that worked much better for her.

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: September 09, 2007, 06:52:24 pm »

Hey, Marilyn -- I just wanted to point out that this post sounds like another proto-essay... Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
joshuatenpenny
Journeyman
Last Login:November 01, 2007, 08:09:28 pm

Religion: Asphodel, recon-derived eclectic paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 09, 2007, 07:37:06 pm »

I'll second that some decks just don't work well with some people. I really loved the Haindl deck when I first saw it, and enthusiastically bought not only the deck but two books that go with it. But it just doesn't resonate with me. Something about the artwork or the symbolism. I don't know. Tarot isn't my favorite method, but it is useful, and different decks certainly have different personalitiies and worldviews.

So if you are interested in it, try another deck.

-- Joshua

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #5: September 09, 2007, 08:26:38 pm »

Hey, Marilyn -- I just wanted to point out that this post sounds like another proto-essay... Wink

DH is working away this week, so I'm going to be on my lonesome Mon-Fri.  I've got a few bits and bobs that aren't long enough for their own essays but fit in with the other things I've been writing about.  I'll try to wring some kind of order/sense out of them and send it to you sometime this week.

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 02:34:46 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 10, 2007, 11:25:31 am »

My question is, was it that the deck and I didn't work well together, or that Tarot's just not my thing? I already use the I Ching, which I love because it gives me clear, concise answers constantly. I am interested in Tarot; I just don't know if it works with me or if it was just the deck used.

It could be the deck, it could be that Tarot is not your thing.

Are you generally a visual person? (i.e. you learn well from visual images, tend to enjoy visual arts, etc.) I'm not (I'm reasonably competent at handling them, since our society is a heavily visual one. But it's not my preferred mode of interaction.)

One of my teachers pointed this out to me when I was frustrated over Tarot related work, and said, basically "You do much better with words. Why not figure out something that works with that."

Over a couple of years, I put together the idea and function of a quote deck: it's a collection of quotes from books I know very well, picked for 3 layers of function (what the words actually say, what the words mean in context of the book, and what the words mean to me, emotionally (why I picked that quote.) It's an impossible deck for other people to read, because there's a layer of personal interpretation in the choice of the quotes - but it produces very clear (if sometimes snarky) readings.

Since I started working with that, I've found it much easier to work with Tarot - I get clearer readings, more often. I often run two readings in parallel now (lay out a Tarot spread, then pull a quote deck card for each Tarot card.) I find the interlinkages fascinating and usually illuminating.

I think there's some useful stuff (in meditation, reflection, as a way to seek overall balance in your focus ) in having some knowledge of Tarot. But I also don't think it's the One True Divination method for everyone.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 10, 2007, 12:07:24 pm »

It could be either.  I can use almost any deck, and some things that are only vaguely cardlike even (try 'shuffling' leaves some time -g ), but every time I've tried to use the Thoth I have ended up feeling ridiculously self-conscious.  It's as if someone is looking over my shoulder shaking his head at the depth I'm missing.  Some decks seem to consistently give me the same 'kind' of reading, no matter what the question is.  Overly white-light, the querent already has the answer, trust yourself type readings, or overly doom and gloom no matter who shuffles.  Some just seem to come with personality quirks that don't match my own.

If other methods work better for you I would go with them, but don't make tarot out of the question completely.  You may run across a deck that calls out to you, even though it may not give instant clarity.   Some decks are only rewarding after a lot of work, but there are hints of those rewards the first time you look at it.  The one you had probably didn't speak to that part of you that forms those connections.

For myself, as I've said, I can't use a Thoth deck.  I also dislike using decks with no pictures on the pips.  Even though I still know the meanings of the cards in question I like the visual impact of the little scenes.  I like a certain range of colours - too much gold in a deck puts me off.  These are personal quirks, but divination is a personal art, affected by the readers comfort, pleasure, and satisfaction levels.  The better a deck matches with the reader the more information it will give, and at the same time the less 'interference' between image and knowledge.  I almost feel like my prime is invisible because it is so much an extension of me in so many ways, like I'm reading the ends of my fingers almost.

Tarot isn't for everyone, just as pendulums aren't for everyone (they just hang there for me).  If it's not for you then it's not for you.  You've only used the one deck, though, so it could easily just be a mismatch.  Wait and see, and keep your eyes and mind open.

Absent

BTW, how did you get rid of it?  Did you give it to someone who admired it?  That's how I got my first one, and the woman who gave it to me was amazed at how clearly it spoke to me.  She later got a quite different one  (Servants of the Light, I think) that worked much better for her.

I can work with almost any deck I've tried, but my weak one (as the Thoth deck is for you) is the Medieval Scapini.  That deck, when I touch it, makes me feel like it hates me as much as a deck can hate.  Hell if I know why.

I've been doing a lot of work with the Robin Wood of late, and it's...capricious.  It takes a great delight in telling me things that aren't happening and making me work to infer from that what is happening.  I like the challenge, but sometimes it annoys me into just asking the good old Universal Waite.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #8: September 10, 2007, 12:29:16 pm »

I've been doing a lot of work with the Robin Wood of late, and it's...capricious.  It takes a great delight in telling me things that aren't happening and making me work to infer from that what is happening.  I like the challenge, but sometimes it annoys me into just asking the good old Universal Waite.

I use the RW for highly charged mystical or emotional matters.  That's the language it 'speaks' to me in, so that's what I use it for.  I can't get pragmatic or down-to-earth analysis from it, and it makes me feel like I should be speaking in 'thees' and 'thous' and elegant allegory.

I think the RW is Sunflower's prime, so she might be able to cast some light on its quirks, or have some suggestions on how to get it to give straight answers.  Then again, sometimes the bendy answers give deeper truth.  At least you seem to be able to work within it's quirks and make the necessary inferences.  I tend to get impatient with it and switch if it's not an 'RW kind of question'.

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 10, 2007, 01:34:10 pm »

It's also my prime deck when I do Tarot.

I've actually found it to be relatively clear cut when I do readings, except that it's often looking a layer further in or out than I thought I was looking at. (So it may be looking at a deeper layer of issue, or at further-out ripple effects from the thing I'm asking about, not the most direct "what happens next" sort of thing.)

I normally use a very straightforward Celtic Cross layout with it: I've had very mixed results with other layouts. (The one Marilyn suggested else-thread worked really well for me, though that's also based on a Celtic Cross)

One thing that really helped me with it (besides spending a couple of years using it periodically, but not relying on it, so to speak) was working through her book (not the little booklet, the actual book) on it - I found her explanations of small details in her images really helpful, even when I already knew the general meaning of the card.

(As a note: I don't generally ask it intensely practical stuff. Job related stuff, sometimes, but more things like "what do I need to focus on to get my career going in the direction I want it to." rather than "Do I take X job?")

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 10, 2007, 01:41:17 pm »

Over a couple of years, I put together the idea and function of a quote deck: it's a collection of quotes from books I know very well, picked for 3 layers of function (what the words actually say, what the words mean in context of the book, and what the words mean to me, emotionally (why I picked that quote.) It's an impossible deck for other people to read, because there's a layer of personal interpretation in the choice of the quotes - but it produces very clear (if sometimes snarky) readings.

What a very interesting idea. As someone who loves words, and communicates more clearly through them than images (even though I'm a film major--*sigh*)... this may be worth a look into.

May I borrow the idea, Jenett?  Smiley

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 10, 2007, 02:50:03 pm »

What a very interesting idea. As someone who loves words, and communicates more clearly through them than images (even though I'm a film major--*sigh*)... this may be worth a look into.

May I borrow the idea, Jenett?  Smiley

Absolutely.

(And, as you're now the 3rd person who's asked, I may see if I can manage to get a more thorough writeup to Moon Ivy for the newsletter this week so there's an easy reference somewhere.)

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 10, 2007, 03:00:07 pm »

(And, as you're now the 3rd person who's asked, I may see if I can manage to get a more thorough writeup to Moon Ivy for the newsletter this week so there's an easy reference somewhere.)

Yes please!  Cheesy

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2019, 03:35:54 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: September 10, 2007, 06:01:16 pm »

I use the RW for highly charged mystical or emotional matters.  That's the language it 'speaks' to me in, so that's what I use it for.  I can't get pragmatic or down-to-earth analysis from it, and it makes me feel like I should be speaking in 'thees' and 'thous' and elegant allegory.

I think the RW is Sunflower's prime, so she might be able to cast some light on its quirks, or have some suggestions on how to get it to give straight answers.  Then again, sometimes the bendy answers give deeper truth.  At least you seem to be able to work within it's quirks and make the necessary inferences.  I tend to get impatient with it and switch if it's not an 'RW kind of question'.

(As a note: I don't generally ask it intensely practical stuff. Job related stuff, sometimes, but more things like "what do I need to focus on to get my career going in the direction I want it to." rather than "Do I take X job?")
Yup, the RW is my prime.

Tim, your experience of it being capricious (etc) seemed very odd to me; at first glance, very different from my own experience.  But even before I read what Absent and Jenett had to say, I was wondering if the appearance of caprice was your RW trying to read according to its particular strengths, and conflicting with what you expect from a reading.

My gifts for reading tarot, with pretty much any deck, focus heavily on "matters of the spirit" in the broadest sense (not just religious-spiritual but whatever feeds the spirit) and on personal development.  I get boatloads about personal characteristics and how they apply to situations, past emotional/spiritual issues that are demanding resolution, what's required for personal growth, etc.  The very areas where, by Absent's and Jenett's accounts as well as my experiences, the RW shines - so it's no wonder I love it; its strengths and my gifts combine very well.

Is yours really telling you things that aren't happening, or is it talking about what's happening on a different (more emotional/spiritual) level?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Angerslegacy
Apprentice
Last Login:January 11, 2008, 11:23:34 pm

Religion: Paganism-Wiccan

I will stay forever here...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 10, 2007, 06:37:35 pm »

Wow..I know exactly what you mean.

I have one of those decks from the "Learn Tarot" and they work so perfectly. But I got another deck from my friend and they are just...not cool with me.

But I am getting a Rider-Waite Deck...I have always felt that deck drawing my attention...

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)