The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 08, 2020, 11:39:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 08, 2020, 11:39:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on using the Tarot  (Read 7569 times)
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 10, 2007, 06:52:34 pm »

Yup, the RW is my prime.

Given I've said before that RW and I do not get along well, for some reason this thread clarified in my mind finally why not, although I can't find the specific quote right now. And it's just the way my mind 'catches' the meanings in the imagery.... RW doesn't have the 'kind' of imagery I need  (at least not to be able to read it relatively easily) Undecided

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm
United States United States

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 10, 2007, 07:54:21 pm »

Yup, the RW is my prime.

Tim, your experience of it being capricious (etc) seemed very odd to me; at first glance, very different from my own experience.  But even before I read what Absent and Jenett had to say, I was wondering if the appearance of caprice was your RW trying to read according to its particular strengths, and conflicting with what you expect from a reading.

My gifts for reading tarot, with pretty much any deck, focus heavily on "matters of the spirit" in the broadest sense (not just religious-spiritual but whatever feeds the spirit) and on personal development.  I get boatloads about personal characteristics and how they apply to situations, past emotional/spiritual issues that are demanding resolution, what's required for personal growth, etc.  The very areas where, by Absent's and Jenett's accounts as well as my experiences, the RW shines - so it's no wonder I love it; its strengths and my gifts combine very well.

Is yours really telling you things that aren't happening, or is it talking about what's happening on a different (more emotional/spiritual) level?

Sunflower

Capricious is possibly the wrong word.

It's fun.  It's helpful.  It's very much something that reads better on a personal level, and I can only really use it with people I have a connection to.  I can't imagine using it for a cold reading, unlike the Universal Waite.

"Capricious" came because the readings have a sense of humor.  A gentle snark, I suppose, which may just be it tapping my own sense of humor.

And my brain just went "oh" because I realized that the reason it's telling me about things that aren't happening is that more things that I ask it about aren't happening than are happening.  Nonetheless, it is somewhat more subtle than the UW, and I haven't learned all of its nuances yet.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
RagingClue
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 30, 2009, 06:31:31 am
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: i guess ya could call me a pagan.

theres a difference between believing and knowing

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 25, 2007, 03:49:34 pm »

*looks around curiously*

Hey, i got a deck of "ascended masters" oracle cards as a present for the oul birthday recently. They DO work, but with a snaffu on my part: i can get the answers im looking for, like a dart of images and words in my head for about a second. Bad being that its difficult to decipher, i can get bits and peices from it, but not the whole jigsaw.

Any ideas how i could go about improving my perceptiveness to this?

Everything happens for a reason.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #18: September 25, 2007, 04:09:02 pm »

Any ideas how i could go about improving my perceptiveness to this?

Practice.  If the information comes to you all in one quick impression, rather than being drawn out by the individual cards, then you need to learn to retain it long enough to analyse it and put it into words for the person you're reading for.  If you're reading for yourself, and you can hold onto the understanding you get, then all well and good. 

Mining that information bubble for someone else's benefit, however, is a little like dream recall.  You have the sense of it, and maybe even some advice or an answer.  What you need is the detail and some logical steps in getting from problem to solution.

Practice and journalling can help.  If you write down what you can recall of the 'burst', that will remind you of other parts and details that didn't stay in the first layer of your memory.  Eventually you will be able to hold the info in your head while you are relaying it to someone else, or examining it yourself, and be able to separate the parts from the whole.

Perception is often instinctive when reading cards.  Description and interpretation are learned arts.

Absent
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 04:11:02 pm by Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED) » Logged

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
RagingClue
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 30, 2009, 06:31:31 am
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: i guess ya could call me a pagan.

theres a difference between believing and knowing

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 25, 2007, 04:24:51 pm »

Perception is often instinctive when reading cards.  Description and interpretation are learned arts.

Something i firmly believe myself!

Thanks a million man! *salute*

Everything happens for a reason.
Alani
Apprentice
Last Login:October 06, 2007, 08:15:06 pm

Religion: On the Path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: October 04, 2007, 05:57:25 pm »

Tarot related work, and said, basically "You do much better with words.

The Rohrig Tarot has LOTS Of words on it.    But, the words are in handwriting that is sometimes hard to read, the deck is much larger than standard (3.5" x 6.5") and very phallic Shocked in the artwork .   Also includes runes and "hebrew" symbols on the cards of the major arcana.    The artwork is fantastic in spite of the phallic stuff and I like the words, symbols and size, but as a Mom, I wouldn't recommend it for a juvenile reading.

~ my 2 cents.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 05:59:52 pm by Alani » Logged

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go
So make the best of this test, and don't ask why
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.
I hope you ha[ve] the time of your life…

~ Greenday
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #21: October 04, 2007, 09:25:58 pm »

The Rohrig Tarot has LOTS Of words on it.    But, the words are in handwriting that is sometimes hard to read, the deck is much larger than standard (3.5" x 6.5") and very phallic Shocked in the artwork .   Also includes runes and "hebrew" symbols on the cards of the major arcana.    The artwork is fantastic in spite of the phallic stuff and I like the words, symbols and size, but as a Mom, I wouldn't recommend it for a juvenile reading.

Huh. Interesting. (For those curious, there's a few images at http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/rohrig/index.shtml which is my preferred "what does this deck look like")

It's probably more accurate to say that I do better with verbal content. I keep thinking about poking at runes (and other alphabets: I read ancient Greek, but that's it) but I don't feel a draw to do so. Without that, I'm unlikely to get the gestalt that I get with my quote deck.

Just individual words doesn't seem to work as well for me, for some reason, either. Maybe I just function best in sentences or phrases or something.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Alani
Apprentice
Last Login:October 06, 2007, 08:15:06 pm

Religion: On the Path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: October 05, 2007, 10:06:55 pm »

Just individual words doesn't seem to work as well for me, for some reason, either. Maybe I just function best in sentences or phrases or something.

Maybe it is just that your phrases that have the most meaning for you.  They are the "mnemonic" trigger to the meaning of the reading for you.  It is great that you were able to create meaningful cards for yourself.   I think it is going to take ages for me to do this.   Particularly as I am a visual person.  Undecided

(BTW, the Prince of Cups in the Rohrig deck is probably the most "graphic" card, but then again it is supposed to represent desire.    Still I think the art is amazing.   I really like the death card too.   Instead of a man, it is a young woman with the image of a skull in her enlarged abdomen, reminding that death as a form of rebirth.)

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go
So make the best of this test, and don't ask why
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.
I hope you ha[ve] the time of your life…

~ Greenday
Neriandal Freit
Master Member
Last Login:May 22, 2011, 10:34:22 am

Religion: Pagan

Dancing under the moonlit stars

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: October 07, 2007, 10:26:30 pm »

I had the same issue a few years ago when I was just getting into tarot as a teenager. I grew up with it in the house (my mother), so I was to seeing it and how it worked, the decks she had, etc.

I had that silly little "Learn Tarot" deck thing. Mine was a boxed one with two small decks, one Waite and the other Thoth. My mom turned me off of Thoth's although I enjoyed the dark images, used the Waite for a while till she borrowed it for her purse...

Anyways, eventually got the normal size version of Waite and The Halloween Tarot (Halloween Waite basically). Halloween never gave me much unlike the Waite I used for a few years up until recent purchase at PSG with the deck Revelations. Beautiful deck!

I partly think it's both. You have to practice, you have to understand. At the same time however, your cards are imbued with a magic that you are either going to be able to connect with or not. The Halloween a few years back didn't let me connect with it, Waite did. Revelation's has. 
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: October 07, 2007, 10:31:06 pm »

At the same time however, your cards are imbued with a magic that you are either going to be able to connect with or not.

I agree that you will either "connect" well with a deck or not. I'm not sure any magic is involved, however, other that that of art and imagery. Either the art and imagery of a deck works well for you or it doesn't.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Neriandal Freit
Master Member
Last Login:May 22, 2011, 10:34:22 am

Religion: Pagan

Dancing under the moonlit stars

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: October 07, 2007, 10:45:44 pm »

I agree that you will either "connect" well with a deck or not. I'm not sure any magic is involved, however, other that that of art and imagery. Either the art and imagery of a deck works well for you or it doesn't.

More of a word of use than anything for my reply  Grin

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)