The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2019, 04:46:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 04:46:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Why do some gods recieve more attention?  (Read 10075 times)
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 09, 2007, 07:25:25 pm »

In the pagan community today itís easy to notice a trend in what deities are most often chosen for worship, here on the Cauldron Apollo appears to have a surprising number of us wrapped around his finger. His twin, Artemis, and her Roman equal, Diana, are also very popular having an entire group formed around what they represent. But they arenít alone; Hecate, Athena, Brigid, The Morrigan, and many others have found popularity with todayís pagan population.

My question is why them? Of course all of them are great, but why are they singled out to be worshipped? Is there something about them that draws people to them or are they just more active about requiting followers?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: September 09, 2007, 07:32:10 pm »

My question is why them? Of course all of them are great, but why are they singled out to be worshipped? Is there something about them that draws people to them or are they just more active about requiting followers?

Simple -- and totally subjective -- answer:  I was drawn to Brighid because She drew me to her. 

I didn't choose Her; She chose me.

I don't know why.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 09, 2007, 08:20:37 pm »

In the pagan community today itís easy to notice a trend in what deities are most often chosen for worship, here on the Cauldron Apollo appears to have a surprising number of us wrapped around his finger. His twin, Artemis, and her Roman equal, Diana, are also very popular having an entire group formed around what they represent. But they arenít alone; Hecate, Athena, Brigid, The Morrigan, and many others have found popularity with todayís pagan population.

Simple -- and totally subjective -- answer:  I was drawn to Brighid because She drew me to her. 
I don't know why.

I have quite a few Gods/Goddesses in my corner now. Some are rather obscure, some are well known. But wheather well known or not they too chose me. They let themselves be known to me.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: September 09, 2007, 09:18:35 pm »

I suspect it has a lot to do with what the gods want and how they find people to do it for them.

I have multiple answers, actually, depending on what hat I'm wearing.

My FlameKeeper hat says that the Universe has desires, and that various gods try to fulfill those desires (while also fulfilling their own desires).  The gods that are most skilled at certain desires are most likely to tap many people, while those with smaller goals or goals that only work with one or two people at a time anyway are less known.

My snarky hat says "damned if I know" Cheesy

My REALLY snarky hat says "of course they have lots of followers, they have to keep hunting to get people to do what They want!".  but that's only when I'm super-snarky and dancing with lightning bolts. Wink

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 09, 2007, 09:23:11 pm »

My REALLY snarky hat says "of course they have lots of followers, they have to keep hunting to get people to do what They want!".  but that's only when I'm super-snarky and dancing with lightning bolts. Wink

Maybe the more popular gods have the biggest agendas--and that's why they've lasted so long.

*runs and ducks the lightning bolts*

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 09, 2007, 09:31:19 pm »

Of those you mentioned Hekate drew me when I first read post about here a couple of years ago.  Why?  I'm not sure but I felt like there was some connection,  On the light side, since she sometimes acts as a conducter of the dead she may be the first of my dieties I'll meet. Grin
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: September 09, 2007, 09:44:58 pm »

My REALLY snarky hat says "of course they have lots of followers, they have to keep hunting to get people to do what They want!".  but that's only when I'm super-snarky and dancing with lightning bolts.

This makes me think of Terry Pratchett's Small Gods.   Grin

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: September 09, 2007, 09:46:12 pm »

Maybe the more popular gods have the biggest agendas--and that's why they've lasted so long.

*runs and ducks the lightning bolts*

Could be.  Brighid's certainly got a big agenda, as far as I can tell.

And I'm not worried about lightning bolts on this because I think it's true.   Cheesy

Either that or I'm just fried anyway.

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 09, 2007, 10:14:51 pm »

This makes me think of Terry Pratchett's Small Gods.   Grin

The Turtle Moves.  Cheesy

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 12:41:51 am

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: September 09, 2007, 10:29:35 pm »

Of those you mentioned Hekate drew me when I first read post about here a couple of years ago.

And of course, people who have a strong theory about Who they're dealing with make it easier for *other people* to identify those entities.

I actually get fairly cranky at the Slavic recon mailing list I'm on, sometimes, because they appear to assume that the Slavic gods only make contact with people of Slavic heritage.  I suspect it's more accurate that mostly only people with Slavic heritage learn the names of Who they're dealing with in that case, because they go, 'Okay, my grandmother was from the Ukraine, I'll look into Slavic customs and see if anything seems familiar' or something like that.

Gods know I spent years offering my Lady random names of goddesses I'd _heard_ of in the hopes of stumbling across one that was correct.  (I got a lot of, "That'll do if you like it.  You're funny.")  Never occurred to me to look for Egypt until I wound up looking there for completely unrelated reasons.

Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 10, 2007, 12:51:55 am »

I think it's part of each god's personality. Maybe some who were big deals back in the day miss that while others find the quiet and the occasional day off relaxing after being "on-call" for so many for so long. And others who maybe didn't have the limelight are looking for it now.

Personally, I think as this trend gets stronger and more people start to recognize when they're being called, more gods will start joining in/enlarging their followin even more. 6 billion plus makes for a pretty tidy following, even accounting for unequal distribution.
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: September 10, 2007, 01:10:00 am »

I don't know why.

I quite agree with you, Moon Ivy. 

I was drawn to Brigid years ago. I remember reading about Her Flamekeepers at Kildare and wanted to be one. NOW I am one.

Of all the Gods and Goddesses I've ever heard about or read about, Brigid is my Lady because She chose me.

Why?  Don't ask me; I'm not the one with the answers!  Cheesy

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Meritsekhmet
Journeyman
Last Login:January 18, 2011, 04:47:40 am

Religion: Eclectic Kemetic with Native American shamanic leanings
TCN ID: merisekhmet

Anpu made me do it.

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 10, 2007, 02:51:18 am »

I don't think it's necessarily that they are being singled out, they call who they want to call.  But some gods are just well.......pickier about who they call.

Dork of Massive Proportions
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 17, 2019, 11:13:29 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: September 10, 2007, 08:22:58 am »

Some Gods are simply better know and will therefore attract more worshippers. However, I think that some deities are simply more activity: both in the world and in looking for followers.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 02:34:46 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 10, 2007, 10:59:52 am »

I think part of it is that some deities are better known, so they continue to become better known. There's a theory out there that deities increase in sphere of influence based on the number of people who follow them (which, in some ways, is very logical: more people paying attention means more people talking about that deity, sharing information, religious content, etc. etc. so more people will be aware of them, hence greater sphere of influence.)

There are some deities - and Brigid is a good example - who have remained a part of common culture (whether or not people believed in them as deities) for a long time. It makes sense that they'd continue to get more attention. Many people get at least a little Greek mythology in school, somewhere along the line, too (And a lot of people have at least a little interest in ancient Egypt at some point in their life.)

Hecate and the Morrigan and Cerridwen are a little more complicated (as they're not generally as well known in mainstream culture): but they're certainly prevalent in the Pagan community, and pretty easy to come across some mention of.

And so these deities get the attention not only of the people they directly focus on - but also a lot of people who aren't deity-thwapped, but who find something intriguing, inspiring, or otherwise relevant to a religious focus in them.

I definitely believe there are tons of other deities out there, who also want followers - but who are less obvious, and who pretty much tend to get the people they directly tap. I think it's true in pretty much all pantheons - and that there are also are likely deities who we don't *have* any literature/ways for people to find out about them except direct from people who revere them. (I'm in that boat myself). Doesn't make them less: does mean that John Random Stranger is less likely to come across them.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)