The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 08, 2020, 05:45:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 08, 2020, 05:45:55 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Why do some gods recieve more attention?  (Read 10601 times)
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm
United States United States

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 10, 2007, 11:34:39 am »

In the pagan community today itís easy to notice a trend in what deities are most often chosen for worship, here on the Cauldron Apollo appears to have a surprising number of us wrapped around his finger. His twin, Artemis, and her Roman equal, Diana, are also very popular having an entire group formed around what they represent. But they arenít alone; Hecate, Athena, Brigid, The Morrigan, and many others have found popularity with todayís pagan population.

My question is why them? Of course all of them are great, but why are they singled out to be worshipped? Is there something about them that draws people to them or are they just more active about requiting followers?

I don't know if they're more active in recruiting.

They're just better at it.

Arianrhod just shrugged almost sheepishly in the back of my head.  The Morrigan chuckled.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 10, 2007, 02:14:28 pm »

I don't know if they're more active in recruiting.

They're just better at it.

Arianrhod just shrugged almost sheepishly in the back of my head.  The Morrigan chuckled.

I was going to say, before I read your post, something along the lines of... some are more subtle than others. Some just hint and poke forever, others, get tired of subtle and hit out with that old 2 by 4 lol

and, more thoughts... but not right now, no time. *marks thread unread*

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 10, 2007, 02:25:10 pm »

Simple -- and totally subjective -- answer:  I was drawn to Brighid because She drew me to her. 

I didn't choose Her; She chose me.

I don't know why.

Same here; I was chosen. I do not know exactly why *I* was chosen, or why my Mother is choosing people more than another goddess. I have no idea; can't really see inside her head. Tongue

Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 10, 2007, 04:03:39 pm »

My question is why them? Of course all of them are great, but why are they singled out to be worshipped? Is there something about them that draws people to them or are they just more active about requiting followers?

I think you have to distinguish between two seperate phenomena: 1) The Thwapped or God-Bothered and 2) those who seek out Someone to worship/work with.  The Thwapped are by-and-large going to have a difficult time answering the question other than "Because They said so."  The Seekers (no, not the quidditch position) would be better able to offer their rationale as to why they work with a particular god/dess.

Simple -- and totally subjective -- answer:  I was drawn to Brighid because She drew me to her. 

Same here.  I work with Epona because She offered.  I'm free to walk away but I really don't want to.  I like Her.  I have no idea why She choose me but I'm willing to remain in the dark on that one until She sees fit to offer anything beyond a vague sense of, "Does it really matter?".

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
ThtreLady
Journeyman
Last Login:July 20, 2011, 05:49:34 pm

Religion: Celtic Seeker

Blog entries (0)

thtrelady

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 10, 2007, 04:27:13 pm »

And of course, people who have a strong theory about Who they're dealing with make it easier for *other people* to identify those entities.

I think that this happens a lot.  You have someone stand up and say, "I works with RandomGoddessA" and her attributes are xyz.  Person reading/listening says "That sounds familiar" and goes to look for a bit more information that also sounds close enough.  Thus RandomGoddessA gets a second person saying "I work with RGA" and it moves on.  Even if someone down the line actually has RandomGoddessB knocking on their shoulder, it may have become such a movement that poor RGB gets drowned out.

Eventually RGB may get heard, but by that time RGA has tons and tons of followers.  Some of whom are actually following RGA and some of whom have gotten the wrong name and are really getting instructions from RGB.

I think I've confused myself.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: September 10, 2007, 04:41:28 pm »

I'm cynical. I think a fair part of it is that some God/desses get more book and web space devoted to them, and seem 'cooler.'

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #21: September 10, 2007, 04:48:16 pm »

I think you have to distinguish between two seperate phenomena: 1) The Thwapped or God-Bothered and 2) those who seek out Someone to worship/work with.  The Thwapped are by-and-large going to have a difficult time answering the question other than "Because They said so."  The Seekers (no, not the quidditch position) would be better able to offer their rationale as to why they work with a particular god/dess.

That was a large chunk of the extra thought I was having earlier - only put into much more coherent sentences Smiley

IMO they are different phenomena and the answers you'll get will differ because of, and be affected by, that fact. I never set out looking for any Someone, I was quite happy with my many-years-ago heavy on the animistic way of doing things, I saw no need to look for a specific deity, but, for reasons not known to me, tM had other ideas. And She can be less than subtle when she needs to be.

I'm cynical. I think a fair part of it is that some God/desses get more book and web space devoted to them, and seem 'cooler.'

And that too. Especially with some deities.

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #22: September 10, 2007, 04:51:22 pm »

Part of it is also simply that we know more.

Having spent rather more time than I really like to think about looking for detailed information on a bunch of British Isles ones, sometimes all you have is the name and a brief almost throw-away reference. Or a "We know there was a shrine, and people left things of type A, B, and D, but not C for some odd reason."  and not much else. It's hard to make an extensive entry out of that.

It's a lot easier with deities in cultures where there's archaeological evidence that includes written forms of stories, phrasing, prayers, etc. or where other relevant literature survived.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #23: September 10, 2007, 07:57:28 pm »

If I'm perfectly honest, there's that too.

Not so much in my case.  Arianrhod hardly gets any mention, and the Morrigan frightened me to death for about six months before I said "screw it" and she said "about time."  "Cool" did not factor into it for me.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #24: September 10, 2007, 08:38:39 pm »

Morrigan frightened me to death for about six months before I said "screw it" and she said "about time."  "Cool" did not factor into it for me.

LOL I know what you mean. She basically told me "Hey, you! No, quit cowering, get your ass over here, you're mine!" Grin

Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: September 10, 2007, 11:33:03 pm »

LOL I know what you mean. She basically told me "Hey, you! No, quit cowering, get your ass over here, you're mine!" Grin

"If I put the whip away will you come out from under the bed?"  Grin
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: September 11, 2007, 08:04:43 am »

Yes, I believe you are right there. At least for some anyway.

I recently found Santa Muerte and wow! is she cool or what? A Saint who likes cigarettes, tequila, and red roses as offerings! Although I think some have stretched her protection a little thin. I know she will look after a prostitute going to work, but will she really watch over a drug lord? Well, maybe someone has to, I don't know.  Anyway, I like her because she understands what it is like to live in poverty and how it takes its toll on the soul.

But someone else may like her simply because, "Dude, it's a totally cool death skeleton."

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: September 11, 2007, 08:07:37 am »

Yes, I agree, there are the They found me type of Gods and the I found them type of Gods. I have plenty of both!
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: September 13, 2007, 11:48:27 am »

If I'm perfectly honest, there's that too.

Not so much in my case.  Arianrhod hardly gets any mention, and the Morrigan frightened me to death for about six months before I said "screw it" and she said "about time."  "Cool" did not factor into it for me.

TOTALLY agree.

I was perfectly happy, or so I thought, with my totally atypical Christian setup.  Then I hit an overwhelming life situation, became totally desperate, and started crying out for help, more subconsciously than consciously, and Brighid answered.  Still dealing with the reeling feeling I got from THAT, and tM comes along, and I have been steadily running away, and playing hide and seek for the last few months.  Have finally decided to stop running, but now it is a waiting game.  Now that I stopped the running, She has stopped the chasing  Roll Eyes  I am actually rather grateful LOL.  I am in no position physically, which means mentally right now, to deal with all the ramifications.  I do well to remember what day of the week it is  Roll Eyes  Metabolic crashes are not fun Sad  (IQ drops from its usual 160 to around 110 or so, or feels like it. I feel like I am in a hazy fog, and am waiting for it to clear before I say anything to someone such as tM!) At least she is waiting till I am in a position to deal with her.   

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #29: September 13, 2007, 12:09:49 pm »

At least she is waiting till I am in a position to deal with her.

Makes me want to share a story with you - when I feel better. Remind me in a day or two Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)