The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 08, 2021, 10:49:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 08, 2021, 10:49:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Eating Meat...looked down upon? Or no?  (Read 25559 times)
Angerslegacy
Apprentice
Last Login:January 11, 2008, 11:23:34 pm
United States United States

Religion: Paganism-Wiccan

I will stay forever here...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 10, 2007, 06:21:37 pm »

Hello,

Although I have been Pagan (Wiccan) for four years, I have never found the answer to this question. When I researched, some say it is all right to eat meat as long as your offer a 'thank you' and a blessing for the animal who died.
But I bought a book, and the author says that it is not allowed and Karma will return for you eating meat and taking in an animal that was slaughtered. But then I thought that when Mankind was first born, they hunted and ate animals.

Very confusing...

I do eat meat. (Working at Burger King, I suppose that is expected. EVERYTHING is meat.. Wink)

But what is your take? Is it going against the religion?

Thank you very much.

~AngersLegacy

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 10, 2007, 06:41:25 pm »

<snippage>

Thank you very much.

~AngersLegacy

I was Wiccan/Wiccanesque from 1986 until 2005. I ate meat when I wanted it, I didn't when I didn't.

I've been Mahayana Buddhist since 2005. I eat meat when I want it, I don't when I don't.

There are so many variants on "The Rules" it really comes down, in my book (as it were), to doing what is right *for you*.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
phoukamare
Master Member
Last Login:May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 pm

Religion: Irish pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 10, 2007, 06:45:12 pm »

Hello,

Although I have been Pagan (Wiccan) for four years, I have never found the answer to this question. When I researched, some say it is all right to eat meat as long as your offer a 'thank you' and a blessing for the animal who died.
But I bought a book, and the author says that it is not allowed and Karma will return for you eating meat and taking in an animal that was slaughtered. But then I thought that when Mankind was first born, they hunted and ate animals.

~AngersLegacy

Well, as far as my experience, meat-eating is a personal choice. As you stated, the human race has always eaten meat during most of its history. Humans are omnivores.

My only caveat is that I do acknowledge that a living being did give its life for me and I don't waste and I do give thanks. But I do that for ANY food that I eat.

I've always had a problem with folks that say it's against their religion to eat meat because of the slaughter of animals. However, they continue to breathe (while we kill millions of bacteria and other stuff) and it seems to be okay to eat plants that are just as alive as animals...they just don't run around or look cute.

I don't know which religion you are practicing, but as far as I know, I've never heard of any pagan religion that specifically is vegetarian.

I also don't know which book you read, but if the author said that, I would seriously look at anything else that person said and take it with a barrel of salt.

Phouka
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: September 10, 2007, 07:32:33 pm »

I'm not Wiccan, nor have I ever been so I'm not sure my answer will help you in your own path. I eat meat and see nothing wrong with it. I think it comes down to a personal decision.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 10, 2007, 08:44:22 pm »

Basically, I'll second everything that phoukamare has already said.  As is so often the case, it sounds like the author is presenting personal beliefs as religious mandate.  Take it with a shaker of salt. 

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 10, 2007, 08:53:15 pm »

I personally find the idea that eating meat is wrong if you're pagan to be the most offensive misconception out there (more offensive than anything that could come from the "outside", like the devil-worshiper comments we often have to deal with. Someone on the 'inside' should know better). I am pagan, and I eat meat; I feel I need it to get adequate protein; we are *omnivores* for a reason. I am extremely annoyed when other pagans try to tell me that I'm not a "real" pagan if I eat meat, or that it is somehow 'wrong' to eat meat.

I also find the notion that eating meat = a lack of respect of nature to be idiotic and offensive. After all, nature is all about death, lol. We need to take life in order to have life. That's just how it works. That's how *nature* works. Anyone who tries to convince me that if I eat meat, I cannot possibly respect nature has only succeeded in convincing me that they do not understand nature. At all. Period.

Now, I have absolutely no problem with anyone who chooses to be vegetarian, for any reason. That is their personal choice; I find it odd myself, but that's OK everyone is allowed to have their own choices whether or not they make sense to me. Wink Just don't try to shove it down MY throat, please. It won't work, I promise you. Oh, and I don't believe in Karma. Grin

OK, getting off my soap box now. Cheesy

Derg Corra
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 08, 2008, 09:29:15 pm

Religion: Aspiring Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 10, 2007, 09:25:21 pm »

I don't think eating meat goes against Wicca as a religion.  As far as the Rede goes, I guess it depends on personal interpretation and how far one is willing to apply it to their life.

I know that at least in the traditions I've encountered it is left to personal choice and not doctrine.  For instance, you wouldn't be looked down upon to bringing a dish with meat to a post-ritual feast, for instance (I've done this)...

I would like to be a vegetarian on principle but don't know if I have a strong enough will and am too choosy an eater to make it a reality.  Personally (and this is just my opinion), I don't see the point of doing it half-assed and just cutting out red meats and leaving in poultry, dairy, and non-organic stuff, so I choose not to do it all.
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 10, 2007, 09:40:46 pm »

Hello,

Very confusing...

I do eat meat. (Working at Burger King, I suppose that is expected. EVERYTHING is meat.. Wink)

Thank you very much.

~AngersLegacy

Why should eating meat be wrong?  The whole biological world is but a series of cycles.  Carnivores and omnivores eat meat.  This includes many species that are to small for you to see.  Herbivores eat vegatable matter, which in turn growth utilizing recycled vegetable and aninmal (also microorganism) matter.  And the scavenerges eat both veg and animal matter, but previously dead.  And of course there are those that are opertunistic.

So the question really is why would anyone question such a funtional system?  If you feel it is wrong, or your deities tell you it is wrong for you, then don't eat meat.  Otherwise be like the vast majority of your species. Grin
attrice
Apprentice
Last Login:June 25, 2008, 12:41:44 am

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 10, 2007, 10:18:22 pm »

Absolutely not. I'm a vegan for personal ethical reasons. Not only do I think that, for the most part, the gods don't care, in some cases, I think they think it's odd/silly. I definitely got a feeling of "What are you DOING?!" when I had to go to several stores looking for a vegan wine to use for offerings. *shrug* It actually makes a bit of sense to me that beings who don't seem to experience physical pain and whose existence spans the lifetimes of billions of people and animals would feel differently than I do about suffering and death.

So yeah, for me it is a personal ethical decision that is totally separate from my spiritual life.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: September 11, 2007, 02:20:34 am »

I definitely got a feeling of "What are you DOING?!" when I had to go to several stores looking for a vegan wine to use for offerings.

There's vegan wine??

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: September 11, 2007, 06:47:27 am »

There's vegan wine??

Wait, I'm confused.  What animal product does wine have in it that would make it non-vegan to begin with?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: September 11, 2007, 06:51:46 am »

There's vegan wine??

There's NON-vegan wine?

Where are the animal products?Huh  (not that I really want to know  .. I think .... eeeew)

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Keeper o Duckshoed Muse
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 09, 2008, 09:18:15 pm

Religion: A Craftsman Witch with Elemental leanings

Dancing a delicate line and loving every moment.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 11, 2007, 07:19:49 am »

There's vegan wine??

Perhaps it's a wine based on a vegetable source rather than a fruit source?  I have met some forms of vegetarianism that refuse to eat honey because they honestly felt it was an enslavement of bees.  (as for myself I happen to like it on my cornbread, when I'm having my beef stew  Cheesy)

Ducky

I take responsibility for my insanity only!
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: September 11, 2007, 07:42:29 am »

Perhaps it's a wine based on a vegetable source rather than a fruit source?  I have met some forms of vegetarianism that refuse to eat honey because they honestly felt it was an enslavement of bees.  (as for myself I happen to like it on my cornbread, when I'm having my beef stew  Cheesy)

Ducky

but .. if it's not made of grapes, it's not /wine/.  It might be alcohol .. but it's not /wine/.

At that point, go for the vodka!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 11, 2007, 07:44:56 am »

Hello,
Thank you very much.

~AngersLegacy

I am a vegetarian, but I don't condemn others who do eat meat. For me it it is part of my religious journey. For others it is not, for some it is, but only for awhile.

My 2 biggest reasons are:

#1, The Gods instructed me along this path.
#2, I feel all animals have a soul, so basically I would be eating their trauma of death and will experience it in the after-life because I did not respect their right to life. I put my selfish desires above respecting the beauty of creation when I did not have to. Vegetarianism for me is a sacrifice to the Gods.

I think it is good that you are wondering and asking questions, it shows that you are an individual, not just doing things because everyone else does or because you were raised a certian way.

Ask and you will be guided, paths are ever changing.

Blessings along your path.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)