The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 15, 2019, 06:49:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 15, 2019, 06:49:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Frequency of Worship and/or Ritual  (Read 7212 times)
elizwrite
Apprentice
Last Login:December 09, 2012, 09:06:52 pm
United States United States

Religion: pagan

Elizabeth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 15, 2007, 08:16:32 pm »

My schedule has changed quite a bit since last year at this time, and I'm still figuring things out here (expect that'll continue for quite a while, actually, lol).  I had a nice pattern going before I went back to work full-time where I had my candles going daily for both offering/worship and for magick.  Now that I'm not home except for maybe one day a week and that's got to be my day for catching up on everything sitting while I'm at work (laundry, groceries, etc), not to mention carving out family time, I'm finding that making an adequate amount of ritual time is far more difficult.  I'm still managing my other regular devotional practices at bedtime, but as for the rest, I'm feeling quite lacking. 

So, do you  manage to put in as much 'face time' for religious practice as you'd like?  Or do you just wing it? 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

phoukamare
Master Member
Last Login:May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 pm

Religion: Irish pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 15, 2007, 08:27:05 pm »

So, do you  manage to put in as much 'face time' for religious practice as you'd like?  Or do you just wing it? 

Hmm, not as much as I'd like...but definitely what is necessary.

Phouka
elizwrite
Apprentice
Last Login:December 09, 2012, 09:06:52 pm

Religion: pagan

Elizabeth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 15, 2007, 08:37:03 pm »

Phouka

lol  You and me both.  <G> 

OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 15, 2007, 09:25:02 pm »

I don't practice as much as I should be.  Things have been "off" for me since I moved last year and I haven't found a good rhythm again.  Work is crazy and so many things need my attention when I get home.  What little free time I have left is generally used to sleep/vegetate.  Sad

The past few weeks have been better though- I make small offerings when I have the time.  It's a start, at least. 

- OpenHands

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 15, 2007, 10:27:30 pm »

Right now, my actual "practice" is practically nonexistent, and I hate it. I'm trying to work on it, but a lot of it involves making new habits, something I'm not good at (especially if they're good habits!).

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 15, 2007, 10:51:25 pm »

My schedule has changed quite a bit since last year at this time, and I'm still figuring things out here (expect that'll continue for quite a while, actually, lol).  I had a nice pattern going before I went back to work full-time where I had my candles going daily for both offering/worship and for magick.  Now that I'm not home except for maybe one day a week and that's got to be my day for catching up on everything sitting while I'm at work (laundry, groceries, etc), not to mention carving out family time, I'm finding that making an adequate amount of ritual time is far more difficult.  I'm still managing my other regular devotional practices at bedtime, but as for the rest, I'm feeling quite lacking. 

I just wing it. I do my ritual devotions when I feel the need, and have available time. I do devotions every morning and every night before bed though.

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 17, 2007, 10:03:08 am »

Phouka
lol  You and me both.  <G> 

I guess I'll have to third that.  Wink

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
sara_marie
Apprentice
Last Login:May 06, 2007, 11:38:31 pm

Religion: Celtic polytheist

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 28, 2007, 11:21:09 pm »

My practice has increased a lot since joining the Cill, but since that's just once every 20 days (approximately), that's not really saying much.  I'd say before then, it was every other month or so, depending on my circumstances.

A lot of things stop me from doing things more often, like time restraints (I'm a busy college student), having roomies (when I'm home), and even just dumb little things like fretting over what to do or how to properly dispose of an offering.  For instance, I have a place where I put offerings, but only in my college town, and only when the ground is not covered in snow or super muddy.  Otherwise, I just have to make a big production out of putting stuff in the garbage or down the sink, trying to be as polite about it as possible.  Undecided

OTOH, I don't think that constant worship is really what's important.  I like the gods and want to have more interaction with them, but I also know that there are other things of importance.  I never let the fact that college work gets in the way of practice, for example, because it is part of my practice, in a way.  It's all about action versus words (and ritual) to me.

"Don'ts you remember beings a little kids when you teeths woulds falls out and grows back and you would get the old one under the pillow so the ancient Norse god Orthar, the tooths collector, woulds leaves you a Pickle's Nickel?!" - Toki, Metalocalypse
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 29, 2007, 12:38:09 am »

I have different degrees of ritual.  I usually manage to get off a minor semi-formal working once every couple of days, at least.  I perform more formal workings on full moons and the Wiccan Sabbats.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: March 29, 2007, 12:42:48 am »

Lately, I've been making time every evening to light candles to Brighid.  Most of the time, I let them burn out -- which is  or 5 hours, since they're all tealights.

Every 20 days, I take my shift as a member of the Cauldron's Brigidine Cill.

Occasionally, I go outside for informaly offerings/libations (usually ale).

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 29, 2007, 06:02:27 pm »

My beliefs don't involve much in the way of specific religious practices, so I can't even say that I wing it.

I make one requirement of myself, which is to meditate every day without fail--which I actually manage to do with about 95% compliance. I usually do it first thing in the morning, but anytime of day or night is fine, which makes the obligation easier to live up to.

Other than that, I note the changing seasons of the sun and moon, staging all-out celebrations only for the winter and summer solstices and, to a lesser extent, Halloween.

sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 30, 2007, 06:22:44 am »

I'm a creature of habit ... bedtime prayers every day, and ritual with offerings once a week, which takes about an hour.
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 30, 2007, 01:56:02 pm »

I usually wing it, but lately, thanks to the Kemetic SIG inspiring me to be more involved, I've been good at daily ritual. It's been before work, a short prayer, offerings(food, water, incense, fire), henu, and then close. Once a week I do bigger stuff, longer ritual.
Feisty Dreamer
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2007, 07:36:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: I'll let you know when I do

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 18, 2007, 06:42:16 pm »

Mostly just wing it unfortunately, I've tried to get a habit of doing a quick daily devotion but there are many more days when that doesn't happen then when it does. Embarrassed I'm pretty guilty about this since I feel strongly that something as important and basic as my spirituality should warrant a few minutes of my day, especially considering we're on summer break here so my days are pretty free for the moment. 

Usually it's just laziness or lack of motivation on my part, though it's also a matter of remembering. I'm pretty scatterbrained and often there are times when I could do a devotion or meditate for a bit, or get working on one of my religiously-inspired projects but it just doesn't cross my mind, and so it doesn't happen.  Undecided

I also have a problem with my boyfriend being around mostly full-time during the summer. He's non-religious and while heís semi-aware of my spirituality (my shrine is out in plain view, as are my pagan books and statues) I havenít really felt really comfortable going into detail about my beliefs as he hasnít had any religion in his upbringing and I've never been very good at discussing the issue. When he's around it puts a major damper on my practice, I don't feel comfortable doing devotion or even meditating with him in the house.  Sad

The boredom you got in Heaven was almost as bad as the excitement you got in Hell.
- Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 01, 2007, 12:48:46 am »

I found out the hard way that trying to do a formal ritual routine when you're adjusting to new circumstances is just as bad as letting them lapse all together. When I broke up with my ex, I really repressed how painful it was and ended up putting waaaaaaaaay too much focus on finding someone new. It became the only reason I prayed was to beg the gods to send me a new guy. So, I was Told, in no uncertain terms, to knock it off until I could reconnect with the real reason why we do rituals and prayers. I ended up changing my whole routine and what I do now (a quick please and thank you before bed) is working much better.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)