The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 11, 2020, 10:42:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 11, 2020, 10:42:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ren Fair??  (Read 9323 times)
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 15, 2007, 09:28:54 am »

As I thought about it I realized (insert shameless plug here:) that I myself make a large stone and wood altar tile, night lights and candle holders with pentacles and Chaos stars on them, leather bound sketchbooks with Tarot Card images, Celtic knots and Triquetras, fairies and dragons too. Funny, I've been doing it so long I didn't even think of the stuff as Pagan, just the regular things I make and haul off to shows. Witchy things are very much the norm at Ren Faires.

Tisk, tisk, what a shame about the faire!  Sad

But I am so glad for your "shameless plug"  I was curious, what you sold but didn't want to be nosey and ask! Grin Your items sound wonderful, especially the altar tiles. 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 15, 2007, 10:56:46 am »

Ahhh! I love ren faire, and I miss it sooooo much...

You can find about the most eclectic group of people around faires. Both good and bad. lol. And almost anyone there will be more than happy to interact with you...

It can be hard to juggle in one day; you want to get a good mix of shopping around, going to musical or theater shows, and seeing exhibitions like jousting, falconry, or glass-blowing. Just take in all you can, dance, and smile. lol.

It's not a prerequisite to dress up. When I go as a patron, I generally just wear a full skirt of two (tuck the top one into the band on either side, and you've got the whole peasant look going) with a fitted top of some sort. Wear fun knee socks and tuck your skirt up to show them off (totally not period to show ones ankles, or where fun socks for that matter, but who cares). Wear comfortable shoes that aren't sneaker. Mary Janes or Birkenstocks are good.

Thanks! I am definitely going to try and get a place on the bus there, you folks have persuaded me Grin . And that dress up idea sounds good as I do have two long skirts one of which would work as a "petticoat" and a periodish fitted shirt. I will tell you guys how it goes if I get a space on the bus.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 15, 2007, 11:39:12 am »

Thanks! I am definitely going to try and get a place on the bus there, you folks have persuaded me Grin . And that dress up idea sounds good as I do have two long skirts one of which would work as a "petticoat" and a periodish fitted shirt. I will tell you guys how it goes if I get a space on the bus.

Blessings for a safe journey m'lady.
Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 15, 2007, 01:24:42 pm »

Why thank you. *curtsies*

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 16, 2007, 11:23:27 am »

Thanks! I am definitely going to try and get a place on the bus there, you folks have persuaded me Grin .
Have fun! *fingers crossed for bus space* Do let us know how it went and if you bought anything fun. Smiley

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: September 17, 2007, 04:46:01 pm »

But I am so glad for your "shameless plug"  I was curious, what you sold but didn't want to be nosey and ask! Grin Your items sound wonderful, especially the altar tiles. 

Thank you! I make no secret of them, but this board is a social place for me and I do not like to sound like I am trying to sell things. As I do not really do online sales, however, if you'd like a look at our stuff head over to my website

http://www.secondcityarts.com

Take a look at the "promoters page" and there are pictures of most the stuff I make and more than you ever wanted to know about us in general.
Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: September 17, 2007, 06:40:00 pm »

Actually at the moment looks like I didn't get a place on the bus, but I have sent out a memo asking if anyone is driving and has a space to fingers crossed!

Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: September 17, 2007, 07:13:02 pm »

Thank you! I make no secret of them, but this board is a social place for me and I do not like to sound like I am trying to sell things. As I do not really do online sales, however, if you'd like a look at our stuff head over to my website

http://www.secondcityarts.com

Take a look at the "promoters page" and there are pictures of most the stuff I make and more than you ever wanted to know about us in general.

Wonderful items!  I especially liked the shadow casters! Thanks so much for sharing.
Derg Corra
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 08, 2008, 09:29:15 pm

Religion: Aspiring Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: October 04, 2007, 02:47:17 am »

So what do you folks think of Ren Fairs?

I went to a ren faire (Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire) for the first time last year and was blown away.  I do live in PA so it's not terribly far but is a bit of a drive.

I am planning on going again this year very soon, I am particularly fond of going in the Fall rather than the Summer since the atmosphere is just a little cooler with the trees changing and weather getting slightly cooler on the east coast.  Plus, the PA Ren Faire does a Halloween gimmick the last three weekends of October which is pretty cool.

I guess the coolest part is that it's so huge and there is just so much stuff going on you get overwhelmed (in a good way)...  I literally got lost for an hour trying to refind one of the metaphysical shops I had been to earlier in the day.  Even when I was in the area of the shops there was an impromptu bellydancing show going on that wasn't on any schedule I saw.  Excellent stuff.

Let us know how your trip turns (turned?) out!
Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: October 06, 2007, 10:56:41 pm »

Let us know how your trip turns (turned?) out!

It didn't happen, but there is one in CT which I am going to try to get to this week. I will let you guys know if that works out.

Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: October 08, 2007, 07:31:33 am »

It didn't happen, but there is one in CT which I am going to try to get to this week. I will let you guys know if that works out.

Please do!  I went to one this week-end. Lots of fun but the temperature reached 90 and there wasn't much shade, but we all still stayed in costume even though we took lighter clothing to change into -because, well, when else can you walk around dressed like that and not be a freak? 

It was great fun, we ate too much, spend too much money, picked up lots of craft ideas, and I even got a sword stuck through my neck (magician's call for volunteers from the audience that my family & friends gladly volunteered me for!)

Still hoping to attened another one at the end of this month that is a little farther away.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: October 09, 2007, 06:23:25 pm »

I went to a ren faire (Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire) for the first time last year and was blown away.  I do live in PA so it's not terribly far but is a bit of a drive.
I guess the coolest part is that it's so huge and there is just so much stuff going on you get overwhelmed (in a good way)...  I literally got lost for an hour trying to refind one of the metaphysical shops I had been to earlier in the day.  Even when I was in the area of the shops there was an impromptu bellydancing show going on that wasn't on any schedule I saw.  Excellent stuff.
This is the faire I worked at! And there is a whole "street schedule" where the actors do "impromptu" shows that are on a schedule of their own that patrons don't see.

Well... maybe I shouldn't say that, because some of them really *are* completely impromptu! lol.

I'm glad you had a good time! I miss it so much. And you're definitely right about going towards the end of the season! What shops did you go to / what did you get from them?

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Derg Corra
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 08, 2008, 09:29:15 pm

Religion: Aspiring Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: October 09, 2007, 06:37:12 pm »

I'm glad you had a good time! I miss it so much. And you're definitely right about going towards the end of the season! What shops did you go to / what did you get from them?

Last year I just bought a couple of souvenirs, a green/grey faire hoodie and orange/gold t-shirt to be more precise.  I am going this year with a bit of planning to go shopping so I may find something I like...  I would like to get something really handcrafted rather than some of the stuff that's just imported.  I may buy some incense/candles/oils this year, actually, since the herb shop is really remarkable (the outdoors garden is great) and most of the incense I use now is cheap dollar store stuff.

My favorite souvenir was really cool, if you are familiar with the weapons place that is in the big red pirate ship building, they were doing giveaways throughout the day, which I didn't know at the time...

They basically were throwing out cards from the top of the ship, and then doing a drawing for a free item...  Well, when I finally realized what was going on I had managed to pick up ONE measly card while a few other people around me were practically diving on dozens of the things...  Well, I forget the exact details but I ended up having a JOKER of the suit of card they were looking for, so I won and was given a free knife with a stag on the handle.

Just a good time, we saw Albanaach (Scottish drumming group) and wanted to see them again and they are returning this year for this weekend ONLY, so we are planning on going Saturday.
Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: October 09, 2007, 06:45:52 pm »

So what do you folks think of Ren Fairs?

PS. Is there any easy way to find something to wear Smiley .

Love them! Shame I couldn't get to ours this year, but I'll be counting the days til next year. I've had a lot of luck hitting places like Goodwill or Red, White and Blue for broomstick skirts and peasant tops to wear to Ren. Best to keep it simple and inexpensive when you have little time to prepare. Once your hooked, that's when you start planning the elaborate more expensive outfits lol. Fortunately, I sew.. and sew, and sew lol. Good luck and have fun!

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: October 09, 2007, 07:15:18 pm »

I may buy some incense/candles/oils this year, actually, since the herb shop is really remarkable (the outdoors garden is great) and most of the incense I use now is cheap dollar store stuff.
Mistress Ruth has quite the store, that's for sure! They also own the wax rose shop across the way from the garden, and they've got some awesome soaps and scrubs and things in there as well.

They basically were throwing out cards from the top of the ship, and then doing a drawing for a free item...  Well, when I finally realized what was going on I had managed to pick up ONE measly card while a few other people around me were practically diving on dozens of the things...  Well, I forget the exact details but I ended up having a JOKER of the suit of card they were looking for, so I won and was given a free knife with a stag on the handle.
That's so cool! They big swords and stuff at faires are usually kind of cheapy looking (with the exception of The Forge, since everything is actually made there!), but the smaller knives and daggers can be really gorgeous.

Just a good time, we saw Albanaach (Scottish drumming group) and wanted to see them again and they are returning this year for this weekend ONLY, so we are planning on going Saturday.
Drumming bands always get me... Maybe I'll try to drag my boyfriend with me this weekend. lol.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)